Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

SolvedThree Kingdoms crashes after launch

KappaLamdaKappaLamda Junior MemberPosts: 5Registered Users
edited October 7 in Crashes
Build: 1.2.0

Reproduction Steps: Three Kingdoms, despite playing normally for a very long while, it now crashes after launch, before the main menu screen, while being in the black screen with the game title.

I validated the integrity of the game files, steam says they are fine, and I reinstalled the game, which had no effect.
Post edited by CA_Vix on

Comments

• CA_VixCA_Vix Posts: 233Registered Users, Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    Hi there,

Thank you for your post.

An initial look at your crash minidump file suggests there might be a problem with your Windows System 32.

Could you verify you have the latest windows installed? If you have latest already, please try using the System File Checker. Details of how to do this can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

All the best,

Vix
  • gmanggmang Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am having the exact same problem after windows 1903 update. I did run system file checker and it repaired system files per above post. Game still won't launch.

My reproduction steps are exactly same as the OP. Validated integrity of game files.

Other total war titles still launch normally.

Please help!

Thank you.
  • gmanggmang Posts: 2Registered Users
    Resolved the problem by deleting the "saved game" folder in appdata.
  • KappaLamdaKappaLamda Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    I downloaded the latest update for Windows 10 and following the instructions at "https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system", I executed commands "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" and "sfc /scannow" at the Command Prompt, in order to find anything missing from Windows System 32, but no integrity violations were found.
    However, I also tried running Thrones of Brittania and Warhammer II in order to see if the same problem exists in those games and they run fine.

I also tried removing the save_games folder from %appdata%, as gmang suggested, and Three Kingdoms still crushes before I get to the main menu screen.
    Hi guys,

Thank you for trying those troubleshooting steps. I'm sorry to hear it's not resolved :(

It seems very odd that these issues only occur for Three Kingdoms, but never the less I will try and figure this out with you!

Could you both try downloading the latest beta for Three Kingdoms (details can be found here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-patch-1-3-0/).

Let me know how that goes. I will continue in the meantime to research further solutions.

All the best,

Vix
    Just downloaded the beta patch 1-3-0, and I am afraid I had no luck with that either.

Just downloaded the beta patch 1-3-0, and I am afraid I had no luck with that either.

Hi there,

Thank you for trying the new beta - did that attempt spit out a new crash minidump? I'd like to compare it to the previous to see if that gives us some new information.

We're still looking into the issue but we appreciate your patience and understanding.

All the best,

Vix
    Here is my latest minidump file after the 1-3-0 beta patch was installed, and thank you for responding so quickly.

Here is my latest minidump file after the 1-3-0 beta patch was installed, and thank you for responding so quickly.

Hi there,

Thanks for that. Will let you know asap when I have more information.

All the best,

Vix
    Hi there,

Since my last post, some new information has come to light that might help the situation.

Would you mind deleting your Three Kingdoms Appdata folder?

You can find this by typing %appdata% into the Start menu and navigating to your "The Creative Assembly" folder. Be sure to copy your save_games folder first though so you don't lose your saves. Typically located in The Creative Assembly\ThreeKingdoms\save_games .

Let me know if that helps, it's possible there is a file in there that is causing issues upon startup.

Cheers,

Vix
    You were right, deleting the Appdata folder did make Three Kingdoms work normally again. Thank you for your help!

You were right, deleting the Appdata folder did make Three Kingdoms work normally again. Thank you for your help!

Awesome! That's great news :)

If you have any further issues, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Happy gaming!

- Vix