Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why is there no wood elves in Warhammer 40k?

Asurwarrior998Asurwarrior998 Posts: 35Registered Users
In 40k there is High Elves, who are the craftworld Eldar, the Asuryani I think? And there are Dark Elves, the Drukhari. There is Wood Elves I think are they are called Exodites? But they don't have a book like everyone gets and I've never seen any playable models for them or anything. Why?

Comments

• UagrimUagrim Posts: 588Registered Users
    Cause GW is on a massive Primaris trip right now.
  • HauptmanTHauptmanT Posts: 16Registered Users
    Cuz elfes are pansies.

Astardes are not.

Play age of sigmar for tree women in mechs (made out of trees) if you must have your pansie elfeseses.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFMtdiQILuTZr22sKUeAOOA
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,290Registered Users
    They whole point of the Exodites is to eschew technology for the most part. How would they get off their planets? WHY would they get off their planets?

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 1,733Registered Users
    Tree-huggers don't really make for a compelling starfaring faction..
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,332Registered Users
    edited October 7
    I kinda always saw the Exodites as wannabe Woodelves.

Since the Harlequins in the latest edition got covered, or the Haemonculus Coven in 7th, there are also enough "Eldar" splinter groups around.

------Red Dox
  • TempestWolfTempestWolf Senior Member Posts: 798Registered Users
    edited October 7
    Because nature is a central mechanic and focal point on 1 planet... once you go to space that concept becomes a small part of a concept and a characteristic of just some planets... in terms of 40k that's like asking... why are there no moon elves... why are there no volcanic elves... why are there no ice elves... gas elves... asteroid elves?
    We kill-slay all surface-things yes yes? Wait... no no... beard-things are not not surface-things... kill beard-things too... and surface things... yes yes.

I add this image of Ikit Claw to beak up the monotony that threads can fall into (except the screenshot one). I take no credit for it and the author seems to be watermarked on it.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,059Registered Users
    Nobody likes hippies.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    The issue is that a lot of the wood elf culture has elements inherited from different parts of Aeldari. The wardancers are essentially the harlequins which go around travelling most of the time, the corsairs and outcasts are sort of like the wood elf units as well. The thing is that the Aeldari don't really have a planet an area to protect, except for their craftworld in which as far as I am aware is sort of like a slow moving planet simply because they do not do dare use warp travel.

Overall the Aeldari don't really have a nature aspect to them.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,131Registered Users
    I think the Corsairs are the woodelves.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,301Registered Users
    I'd say because they aren't as unified. You do have individual exodite worlds each more or less isolated. They could do it by saying they are connected by the Webway so they do have some overall united forces without space travell but as is they don't.

I think the Corsairs are the woodelves.

I would say they are Sea Elves of some sort.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,484Registered Users
    The Exodites did use to have a list in earlier editions of Warhammer 40k and Epic I believe (Epic was a larger-scale, smaller-model version of 40k, like Warmaster was for Fantasy). They were pretty much the counterparts of the Imperial Knights that we now have seen a resurgence of.

Much like the Squats, Games Workshop sort of just discontinued them because they didn't know what to do with them. They already had the Craftworlders and the Dark Eldar, and even the Corsairs and Harlequins, so it was mostly a matter of focusing their releases a bit more. Unlike the Squats, however, which canonically got eradicated, the Exodites are still around in the lore.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,648Registered Users

They whole point of the Exodites is to eschew technology for the most part. How would they get off their planets? WHY would they get off their planets?

Webway portals, and to prosecute war against a threat. If anything, they'd be less ridiculous than the Snakebites (essentially, Savage Orks of 40K) and it's worth noting that while they eschew a lot of technology, they still retain advanced weaponry and retain enough knowledge of it to fight if they have to. They just don't use it in everyday life as part of their defence mechanism against the Thirst.

IIRC, the original fluff for the Imperial Knights had the Exodites being willing and able to counterattack against Imperial-held worlds.
    Draxynnic said:

Webway portals, and to prosecute war against a threat. If anything, they'd be less ridiculous than the Snakebites (essentially, Savage Orks of 40K) and it's worth noting that while they eschew a lot of technology, they still retain advanced weaponry and retain enough knowledge of it to fight if they have to. They just don't use it in everyday life as part of their defence mechanism against the Thirst.

IIRC, the original fluff for the Imperial Knights had the Exodites being willing and able to counterattack against Imperial-held worlds.
    Keeping high tech weapons for self defense is one thing, having webway portals open that might invite unwanted guests (like Drukhari slavers) and are otherwise useless to them is another.

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,204Registered Users
    for me Eldar rangers always filed that niche.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • ErathilErathil Posts: 541Registered Users
    You know, I always sort of figured the Tau were the 40k Wood Elves.

• They're famed for their focus on long-range combat.
    • Battle-suits and hover tech gives them maneuverability on par with the Eldar.
    • Although they're physically frail, they supplement their battle-lines with heartier allies and their monsters (the Kroot).
    • They're a very localized faction, holding a tiny section of space that's barely a blip on the galactic map.

They don't touch on the nature themes, but that'd be next to impossible to do in 40K, but it seems to me that they fit most of the mechanics of a wood elf faction.
    Erathil said:

• Although they're physically frail, they supplement their battle-lines with heartier allies and their monsters (the Kroot).
    • They're a very localized faction, holding a tiny section of space that's barely a blip on the galactic map.

They don't touch on the nature themes, but that'd be next to impossible to do in 40K, but it seems to me that they fit most of the mechanics of a wood elf faction.
    Except the T'au are a comparatively young race and their agenda is diametrically opposed to that of the Asrai. T'au wish to expand and integrate more races into their Empire while the Asrai are content to stay where they are, barely go outside and usually don't allow other people to live with them in their forest.

• ErathilErathil Posts: 541Registered Users

Erathil said:

Except the T'au are a comparatively young race and their agenda is diametrically opposed to that of the Asrai. T'au wish to expand and integrate more races into their Empire while the Asrai are content to stay where they are, barely go outside and usually don't allow other people to live with them in their forest.
    Yeah, it's not an exact fit. The T'au are more like the tactical wood elf archetype than a direct conversion of the Asrai.
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Posts: 668Registered Users
    Probably because there are no forests floating around in space
    Erathil said:

Erathil said:

Yeah, it's not an exact fit. The T'au are more like the tactical wood elf archetype than a direct conversion of the Asrai.
    Except that the Asrai don't completely suck in close combat the way the T'au do.

• Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 2,982Registered Users

Erathil said:

Erathil said:

Except that the Asrai don't completely suck in close combat the way the T'au do.

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,648Registered Users
    Possibly more importantly, I suspect if an Exodite list was to be (re-)published, anyone expecting them to behave like Asrai would probably be disappointed. Most of their weapons are similar to the Asuryani weapons (except without some of the more exotic stuff) and one of their trademarks was that their heavy and fast units were mounted on dinosaurs (one of the Exodite units in the 2E Eldar book, for instance, was Exodite dragon knights: basically, think Shining Spears mounted on 40K Cold Ones). It's quite likely that they'd end up playing more like 40K Lizardmen than Asrai.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,969Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Not about Total War games, so moved.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png