Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

All I want for Christmas ... are stronger enemies

adjungadjung Posts: 207Registered Users
Currently still on my campaign on VH/VH as Golden Order. After 20 turns I had wiped out Vampire Counts. After 80 turns I had wiped out Greenskins. Both went ridiculous easily, and there is no threat to be seen far and wide. I don't have to fear the south - Karak Azul and Dwarfs are both world powers and each of the Tomb King factions loves me, Arkhan is dead and only a ridiculously meagre force of Crusader-peasants ever attempted anything like war on me (and were very easily convinced towards peace).

Although I confederated Ostermark (Kislev is gone), the Chaos threat is not to be felt (my only hint at Chaos presence is the little Archaon reveal trailer, which only feels cute now). They started with a slightly higher power level than me and have been absolutely eaten by Karak Azul, who shamelessly expands north. My only contact with chaos were three surprisingly mediocre stacks of Beastmen, which I could have easily left to be dealt with by even more dwarfs and Talabecland/Ostland. I confederated Karl Franz's Empire, leaving me with another 8 regions on top of my mighty empire. All of Bretonnia loves me, and Kemmler sits really sadly in one settlement; the same goes for the Red Duke. I have been continually annoying the Wood Elves by my diplomatic efforts towards friendly relations with human factions, but they won't declare war. Ikit has been a glimpse of threat with 7 settlements at his absolute peak, now extinguished. Now I just confederated Markus Wulfhart whom I had superb relations with ever since giving him 1300 Gold (once). And all the Lizardmen in Lustria love me (Teclis does, too). There are no Skaven left on that continent, and the good guys put up a "heal the world"-collective. Total War? I think not.

So if the coming DLC should feature only DE and Skaven, this might be a chance to make the Empire campaign challenging again. I remember ye olden, golden WH1 days when any campaign would be an absolute anti-Vampire and anti-Chaos slugfest in which the final victory used to be an actual achievement. Norsca used to be an annoyance, even post-update. WH2 used to have at least a sense of urgency when Chaos started showing up, because they were bound to put up a fight and cost you some settlements, tearing through AI settlements like a knife through butter. But since the removal of AR bonuses and the addition of more Empire provinces, Vamps and Chaos have been an absolute laughing stock. Among the bad guys, Greenskins are the only ones who somehow remained rather unscathed but are fairly easy to defeat on their own.

Forward onto Slaughter.
Tagged:

Comments

• RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,141Registered Users
    This balancing shenanigans is looking like the hardest part to get somewhat right. Most of the time it just seems that things tip too far in one direction.

This might be the perfect time to implement a dynamic balancing if one is not already implemented in game.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • adjungadjung Posts: 207Registered Users
    RikRiorik said:

This balancing shenanigans is looking like the hardest part to get somewhat right. Most of the time it just seems that things tip too far in one direction.

This might be the perfect time to implement a dynamic balancing if one is not already implemented in game.

Yes, maybe AR bonus to Warrios of Chaos unless the player himself is Chaos?

Forward onto Slaughter.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,453Registered Users
    adjung said:

RikRiorik said:

Yes, maybe AR bonus to Warrios of Chaos unless the player himself is Chaos?
    Artificial bonuses are just lazy and immersion breaking. I'd even prefer more armies.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,383Registered Users
    The big problem with Chaos is that their invasion sucks, the horde AI is completely incompetent.

You could give them +50 MA and MD, and they're still going to throw away troops, lose armies, and be eliminated. They'll go longer before that elimination, but they'll still end up at the same sticky end, player intervention or no.

They need a massive improvement to strategic decision making to be any kind of serious threat. All they're good for is presenting a doomstack, and getting it whittled down. Without a point of defense to fall back on and rebuild, the AI is useless from a practical standpoint.
  • sieahsieah Posts: 507Registered Users
    edited October 9
    We need buffs for AI controlled "Evil" races.
    Greenskins, Skaven and the ^%@$%@*@( DARK ELVES who always lose to High Elves, and i mean always, 10 out of 10 of my playthroughs.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,081Registered Users
    Play as Von Carstein, one of the hardest campaigns I’ve ever had after the empire update