Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rethinking WH3 map(s)

AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,026Registered Users
With WH3 slated to be the cumulative finale of the series (assuming there's no chance of WH4 set further east). I'm more and more moving to the idea that ME2.0 will be the main focus in game three. That way CA can start adding FLCs/DLCs directly to ME2.0 without having to worry about shoehorning Old world and New world LLs into the more focused story campaign map. It makes little sense to have them crammed into the Darklands or the Ogre Kingdoms IMO

Factions like Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs can have their story campaign play out directly on ME2.0 since Quests works just as well there as on the story campaign.

That leaves the WH3 story campaign... If the main grand story campaign is now played out on ME2.0 then what becomes of the story campaign? A side campaign... like the Realm of Choas map. This does imply a full Chaos monogods launch... but not necessarily. I don't think I'm the only one who enjoyed the mini campaigns from the BM and WE packs. I would welcome their return in that scenario. That way WH3 could launch with Kislev, DoW, Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarfs directly onto ME2.0 Daemons and Monogods can comelater as DLCs. Makes no difference to me if it was the other way around but theres seems to be a vocal anti all-Chaos launch crowd...

Maybe I'm not making any sense...
Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#

Comments

• _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
    edited October 19
    I see 3 problems.

CA said the ME 2 is for iwner of all 3 titles.

Even with really big turn time improvements, the smaller story campaign will always have shorter turn times and work on older PCs.

Realm of chaos would be chaos only campaign and visually hard in realising and will never be really satisfying.
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,026Registered Users
    _Mad_D0c_ said:

I see 3 problems.

Even with really big turn time improvements, the smaller story campaign will always have shorter turn times and work on older PCs.

Realm of chaos would be chaos only campaign and visually hard in realising and will never be really satisfying.

It was just a thought. I personally wouldn't mind it if CA game ME2 to everyone that buys WH3. Just lock access to WH1 & WH2 LLs until they buy them. WH1 & WH2 will become little more than glorified DLCs anyway once WH3 comes.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#
  • Arcani_4_EverArcani_4_Ever Junior Member Posts: 2,279Registered Users
    I am one of those that thinks Monogods is what we will get.

As such i believe the Campaign for Warhammer 3 will be The Great Game. Taking place in the Realm of Chaos and as Archaon's Invasion begin it unlocks the Mortal Empire Map.

The Campaign starts pretty much with everyone at war with everyone. Minor Chaos Gods like Hashut and the Horned Rat and also the Daemon Princes are defending their territories. It starts conventional. But as you gain objective you start noticing that the things are becoming more chaotic.

At first Norscan Stacks and Chaos Hordes start coming from the South, messing around the map. Eventually even Beastmen and Skaven start bringing more Chaos into the Map. AI Daemonic Factions eventually end up at war with everything and the entire map devolves into a massive Free for All.

Someone is pulling the strings. While the 4 Chaos Gods have always been at war, never had things reached a point where the Chaos Gods are reaching the point of destroying each other. Someone is trying to bring down the Chaos Gods.

Before you can realize it. Archaon and his WoC start the Chaos Invasion into the Mortal Realms. Considering that Your Master (the specific Chaos God you chose) has ordered you to invade the World, you have to divide your forces. Send Stacks into the Mortal Realms while also finding clues as to who is trying to bring down the Chaos Gods.

Eventually after some hard battles, He reveals himself, the 5th Chaos God! Malal (or Malice depending how they wish to name him) As the God of Anarchy of Destruction he has been the one that manipulated the events that happened all the way since Warhammer 1. As both the Mortal Realms and the Realm of Chaos devolve into Total War. He has gained enough strength to start plotting once again.

He has struck a bargain with Be'lakor, who has become his Champion. If Be'lakor brings down the 4 Great Champions of the Chaos Gods, The 4 Greater Daemon LLs, N'kari, Kugath Plaguefather, Kairos Fateweaver and Skarrbrand, the power of Malal will increase enough to finally materialize and challenge the Chaos Gods.

Defeat Be'lakor and return the Realm of Chaos to its usual state. Be'lakor wins and the Realm of Chaos will be destroyed.

Eventually you and the LL you chose will fight against Be'lakor in one final massive battle.

As DLC are added. The Great Horned Rat and Hashut will also take part in this mess.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,487Registered Users
    CA aren't going to sell a full priced game without a standalone map. It -like mono cores- just aint happening.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
    Abmong said:

_Mad_D0c_ said:

I see 3 problems.

It was just a thought. I personally wouldn't mind it if CA game ME2 to everyone that buys WH3. Just lock access to WH1 & WH2 LLs until they buy them. WH1 & WH2 will become little more than glorified DLCs anyway once WH3 comes.
    I wouldnt mind too, but I think Sega will not allow that. Even it would give them more ground for selling new stuff, I sadly think Sega still thinks more conventionell, seeing more profit in selling the old games than some more DLC for the new one.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,551Registered Users
    Sure a map only about the realm of chaos would be great. It would have so much diversity! I mean 4 evil demon races, how cool is that? Green demons, red demons, pink demons and blue demons, isn’t that just amazing?

Other races? Nah they can’t live there. Just demons! Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres? Both races get cancelled because dark lands and mountains of Mourn will not be on the map. Just demons!

The combined map? Cancelled too because no race can enter the realm of chaos. This game will basically just include 4 chaos races and nothing else. Awesome! Just demons!

*Sarcasm off*
  • brago90brago90 Posts: 257Registered Users
    I will always say a campaign focused on the deserts of chaos (DESERTS not realm) with the 4 factions monogod, dwarves of chaos and Kislev / Cathay with a total of 6 initial factions is undoubtedly the best option.
    Such a map offers you monogods, daemons of chaos (controlled by Be'Lakor), dwarves of chaos and two options of order Kislev and Cathay (if the map has the deserts of chaos as an epicenter you have access to the wall of Cathay) along with Ogre Kingdoms and Kurgan (and one of the order factions not chosen at launch) as DLC options.

6 launching factions is the best choice if you want to sell the game to chaos lovers and chaos haters.

And you will say but so far there have only been 4 factions and the answer to this is simple rework of warriors of chaos.
    You have 1 Lord Daemon of each god (Prince Daemon) along with 1 Lord Warrior. The warrior lords are part of the monogod and WoC faction and the prince daemon lord are part of the monogod faction and the DoC faction.
    The greater daemons remaining as exclusive monogod lords, these being the ones that later appeared in the monogods LPs.

And with this we close the chaotic factions with a system of crossed lords.

PD: You can also get the Nagash faction if it ends up being an independent faction.
    edited October 19
    @brago90

What do you mean with deserts of chaos? The chaos wastes?

The only map that makes sense is Dark Lands + Mountains of Mourn + Northern Steppes + chaos wasteland.

Maybe we get some parts of Ind populated by GS, Skaven and that HE Colony in the south. Dragon Islands with LM are also a Must in my opinion.

HE basically are a fantasy version of the British colonial empire so I could see HE factions in Ind like the crusaders in Araby.
    ArneSo said:

@brago90
    HE basically are a fantasy version of the British colonial empire so I could see HE factions in Ind like the crusaders in Araby.

Or DoW/Tilea/Estalia

I still want the complete globe and cathay, so you can easily go from naggarozth/lustria directly to nippon and so on.
    ArneSo said:

@brago90

The only map that makes sense is Dark Lands + Mountains of Mourn + Northern Steppes + chaos wasteland.

Maybe we get some parts of Ind populated by GS, Skaven and that HE Colony in the south. Dragon Islands with LM are also a Must in my opinion.

Yep I mean chaos wastes, in Spanish it was translated as deserts since wastes makes zero sense out of English (it translates to Spanish as garbage, junk, etc). In fact, I still don't understand how the term wastes has become popular in English to refer to contaminated wastelands.

In any case, if you place these lands as the center of the TW: warhammer 3 mapping you have access to many more options.

Chaos wastes north center and dark lands south center. With the mountains of the ogres to the east, the great wall of Cathay to the northeast, to the west Kislev and Hellpit along with part of the Norsca lands, to the northwest the border with Nagaroth, to the south the lands of Nagash and Neferata, to the southeast the mountains of the hobgoblins and to the southwest some dwarf settlement and the Kurgan dispersed in several places by the north zone.

And in the cross campaign, the desert zone would be redistributed to have the forces of chaos located along the entire northern border.
    brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

Yep I mean chaos wastes, in Spanish it was translated as deserts since wastes makes zero sense out of English (it translates to Spanish as garbage, junk, etc). In fact, I still don't understand how the term wastes has become popular in English to refer to contaminated wastelands.

In any case, if you place these lands as the center of the TW: warhammer 3 mapping you have access to many more options.

Chaos wastes north center and dark lands south center. With the mountains of the ogres to the east, the great wall of Cathay to the northeast, to the west Kislev and Hellpit along with part of the Norsca lands, to the northwest the border with Nagaroth, to the south the lands of Nagash and Neferata, to the southeast the mountains of the hobgoblins and to the southwest some dwarf settlement and the Kurgan dispersed in several places by the north zone.

And in the cross campaign, the desert zone would be redistributed to have the forces of chaos located along the entire northern border.
    Wasteland is used to denote barren or eradiated land where nothing grows. Where the ground is too hard and/or toxic to be able to sustain life. Desert tend to conjure high heat and sand. The Chaos wastes are cold, barren and eradiated/saturted with Chaos energy, hence wastes instead of desert. The old WH map used to have a Chaos desert where the Chaos snakemen lived is was where northern Cathay is now. That was all retconned or incooperated into the eastern Steppes when GW shifted Cathay a bit further north and added Hinterlands of Khuresh to the south with mention of the serpent Naga race. Unfortunately GW never expanded beyond that.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Posts: 70Registered Users

CA aren't going to sell a full priced game without a standalone map. It -like mono cores- just aint happening.

I like you Vanilla; I agree with a lot of what you say and you have a sound head on your shoulders...

But...

You are going to have egg all over your face when we get the great game. Four mono gods as Warhammer three :wink:
    @brago90
    I agree with your map.
    We should not forget that game 2 added basically 4 different landscapes.
    Paradies, Jungle, desert and naggaroth
    So game 3 should offer the same nature diversity.

1. Chaos wastes
    uninhabitable for all races except of Chaos ones, in the northwest. Home for Deamons, Warriors of Chaos and Norsca

2. Dark Lands
    in the Southwest and home for chaos Dwarfs, Skaven, GS, undead and a few humans.

3. mountains of Mourn
    In the southeast and home for Ogres, GS and maybe some races from older games.
    The great maw needs to be on the map.

4. Northern Steppes
    in the Northeast and home of the Hobgoblins (GS as placeholder), Norsca and maybe some Deamons and Ogres.

(5. Jungles of Ind and Dragon islands)
    Would be perfect for some LM, Skaven, BM, Wild Orcs and even HE or DoW.

If we put all that together we get an interesting and diverse map with lots of different races
    Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

Wasteland is used to denote barren or eradiated land where nothing grows. Where the ground is too hard and/or toxic to be able to sustain life. Desert tend to conjure high heat and sand. The Chaos wastes are cold, barren and eradiated/saturted with Chaos energy, hence wastes instead of desert. The old WH map used to have a Chaos desert where the Chaos snakemen lived is was where northern Cathay is now. That was all retconned or incooperated into the eastern Steppes when GW shifted Cathay a bit further north and added Hinterlands of Khuresh to the south with mention of the serpent Naga race. Unfortunately GW never expanded beyond that.
    The issue is that in Spanish it has its own term that is ''yermo''.It just seems strange to me how the English language has evolved when it comes to referring to such places because in literal translation it would be land of garbage. And in Spanish all the chaos wasteland was translated as deserts of chaos (Desiertos del caos) when it should have been ''Yermo del caos''

But, in essence, it is still a mere idiomatic curiosity.
    brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

The issue is that in Spanish it has its own term that is ''yermo''.It just seems strange to me how the English language has evolved when it comes to referring to such places because in literal translation it would be land of garbage. And in Spanish all the chaos wasteland was translated as deserts of chaos (Desiertos del caos) when it should have been ''Yermo del caos''

Waste doesn't just mean garbage though. It can also mean useless, unused, used inappropriately, disgarded and more.
    we have phrases like "wasted oppotunity" = oppotunity squandered, "waste of space" = a worthless person or thing some wordes had multiple meanings in different contexts, I'm sure there are Spanish words that has more than one meaning.
    Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

Waste doesn't just mean garbage though. It can also mean useless, unused, used inappropriately, disgarded and more.
    we have phrases like "wasted oppotunity" = oppotunity squandered, "waste of space" = a worthless person or thing some wordes had multiple meanings in different contexts, I'm sure there are Spanish words that has more than one meaning.
    That is what I say that is translated into Spanish as garbage (among other synonyms) but that you use it for many things that in Spanish would not make sense.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 835Registered Users
    I would prefer if they concentrated more on races and sold WH3 as and good old Expansion. most of us can agree that were we play is on Mortal Empires. while vortex is nice ME is were is at.

Wood Elves and Beastmen suffered at the hands of mini campaigns, while Tomb Kings in my opinion was the best DLC and Race pack to date, it was very balanced and had the most complete roster. and it had no mini campaign.

I think WH3 could be sold whit out a campaign. but as and expansion for 30$-40$.
    brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

That is what I say that is translated into Spanish as garbage (among other synonyms) but that you use it for many things that in Spanish would not make sense.
    Lol then that's the fault of who/whatever was used to translate the the Spanish version you read since as you say it could have been translated better.
    Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

Lol then that's the fault of who/whatever was used to translate the the Spanish version you read since as you say it could have been translated better.
    Don't you understand the term '' literal translation ''?
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,185Registered Users

I like you Vanilla; I agree with a lot of what you say and you have a sound head on your shoulders...

But...

You are going to have egg all over your face when we get the great game. Four mono gods as Warhammer three :wink:
    Uh huh, sure.

Just the Realm of Chaos as the standalone map precludes Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres from ever coming when in fact we know that they most certainly are coming. So the WH3 campaign won't focus exclusively on the Realm of Chaos.

If the game is 4 monos at launch, a map incorporating the Darklands and Mountains of Mourn will leave those areas devoid of any playable races, covered in stand-ins, substitutes, and occupiers for months while we wait for the first campaign pack and several months more while we wait for the other. This is also highly unlikely.

The simplest solution is to release the game with 4 distinct and diverse races and then sell monos as DLC. I just don't see any other way that would be marketable given the format of the series.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,243Registered Users
    Realm of Chaos is a pipe dream. I don't even think it's one of the more feasible "mini-campaign" options, due to the limited amount of races who could appear there. Not that "minis" seem likely at all at this point.

Game 3 will focus on a standalone campaign first and foremost, as CA have said. That is almost certainly going to be the Dark Lands. The "Mortal Empires 2.0" thing will hopefully have more flavour and polish than "1.9" or whatever iteration we are on now, but I am not holding my breath.

I honestly can't think of anything else to say. This is all but resolved, barring winged piggies and a feral Ariel.
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 701Registered Users
    WH3 will and should have its own campaign with World Edge Mountains being the absolute western border of the map. It needs to include Darklands, Mountains of Mourn and actually even Cathay and all be playable from launch. Vortex gave us Southlands, Lustria, Ulthuan and Naggaroth. Vortex 2.0 needs to have an equal amount of space included and can also not be allowed to touch already existing areas beyond World Edges Mountains. Otherwise it will not be worth the initial price CA is going to charge from us.

Realm of Chaos is a pipe dream. I don't even think it's one of the more feasible "mini-campaign" options, due to the limited amount of races who could appear there.

Quoted because I would have said nothing else at this point. I think that the Great Maw will be the core of Vortex2.0 and I can actually see the standalone map being a literal Vortex2.0.

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No faction shall escape my sight.
    Let those who think deniers are right
    Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,487Registered Users

But...

Some folk would like to think so. Myself I'd find it pretty funny. Sad about the series dying, but the forums would be funny.

CA really has to do a standalone map, and it needs that map filled with mostly game 3 races to avoid harsh and valid criticism.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,185Registered Users
    Cortes31 said:

WH3 will and should have its own campaign with World Edge Mountains being the absolute western border of the map. It needs to include Darklands, Mountains of Mourn and actually even Cathay and all be playable from launch. Vortex gave us Southlands, Lustria, Ulthuan and Naggaroth. Vortex 2.0 needs to have an equal amount of space included and can also not be allowed to touch already existing areas beyond World Edges Mountains. Otherwise it will not be worth the initial price CA is going to charge from us.

The Vortex map included pieces of Norsca and the Badlands and limiting the map like you suggest would actually exclude Kislev. I'd actually be more annoyed if there was no overlap. So where is it written that the WH3 standalone can't overlap with the Old World? Is it written in the same place that says the WH3 map has to cover the exact same amount of to-scale territory as the Vortex map?

WH2 covers that amount of territory by necessity; it had to include Naggaroth and Lustria because Dark Elves and Lizardmen are key tent pole races of the setting, it just wouldn't be Warhammer without them. Warhammer would still be Warhammer without Cathay. There's enough going on in the Dark Lands, Chaos Wastes, and Mountains of Mourn that a map focusing on those areas will be about as large and detailed as the Old World.

Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

Problem is we’re not even talking about using “waste” as a euphemism. Wastes literally has more than one set of meanings and is context sensitive. The translation you read used the wrong context. If you google translate wasteland “yermo” is the first one that comes up. That’s the correct literal translation.

For it to be a literal translation the English would need to be “Land of waste” for the spanish to be tierra de residuos.

If you try to translate “Chaos wastes“ That’s when The automated translator picks the wrong context for wastes and incorrectly translates it to desechos del caos which is wrong.
    Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

Problem is we’re not even talking about using “waste” as a euphemism. Wastes literally has more than one set of meanings and is context sensitive. The translation you read used the wrong context. If you google translate wasteland “yermo” is the first one that comes up. That’s the correct literal translation.

For it to be a literal translation the English would need to be “Land of waste” for the spanish to be tierra de residuos.

If you try to translate “Chaos wastes“ That’s when The automated translator picks the wrong context for wastes and incorrectly translates it to desechos del caos which is wrong.
    That is the grace of the literal translation that many times you need to interpret and adapt it to another language and in that aspect the literal translation tends to be wrong.

So when you make a literal translation, it results in something very different from what it means in the original language as a result of the linguistic development of the source language in which the name of something can have zero relation to the root of the word used to name it. And this is something that is seen in all existing languages.
    brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

Abmong said:

brago90 said:

ArneSo said:

@brago90

That is the grace of the literal translation that many times you need to interpret and adapt it to another language and in that aspect the literal translation tends to be wrong.

So when you make a literal translation, it results in something very different from what it means in the original language as a result of the linguistic development of the source language in which the name of something can have zero relation to the root of the word used to name it. And this is something that is seen in all existing languages.
    Yeah language isn't black and white. Some words has multiple context sensitive meanings and some things have multiple words that can be used to describe it. An automated algorithm can't really pick up on the differences unless it's manually programmed in by someone proficient in both the languages being translated.

In this case Waste/Wastes does have relation to what's being described (waste in this case isn't a euphemism). But I would agree in other cases where words have been used euphemistically, the literal translation comes out completely wrong.