Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

GW seems to love tusks he?

_Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
edited October 19 in General Discussion
Throgg, Orcs, chaos dwarves, Sabretusks (the reverse teeth of the prehistoric smilodon) all have this funny meaner overbite by design.

Then the rudiculous giant tusk monsters:
Mournfangs and thundertusks, even mammoths have 2 pairs of them.

Comments

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    Gw went full stupid with Thundertusks, who have tusks so massive that they are physically incapable of bringing any food to their mouth.

Speaking of which - GW really has a thing for needlessly making animals carnivores. Thundertusks should by all means be a herbivore, but it has dagger-like teeth. So has the bastiladons, stegadons and even the mammoths, I believe. It's of course possible to handwave away with Old One designs, Chaos corruption, etc, but I've always just thought it was really weird and kind of one the nose about how everything in Warhammer needs to be super-edgy. : P
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 958Registered Users

Gw went full stupid with Thundertusks, who have tusks so massive that they are physically incapable of bringing any food to their mouth.

Speaking of which - GW really has a thing for needlessly making animals carnivores. Thundertusks should by all means be a herbivore, but it has dagger-like teeth. So has the bastiladons, stegadons and even the mammoths, I believe. It's of course possible to handwave away with Old One designs, Chaos corruption, etc, but I've always just thought it was really weird and kind of one the nose about how everything in Warhammer needs to be super-edgy. : P

Yeah, I always found this hilarious. Especially for the evil races, this is way over the top. Dark elf horses are carnivores, as are greenskin boars.
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users

Yeah, I always found this hilarious. Especially for the evil races, this is way over the top. Dark elf horses are carnivores, as are greenskin boars.
    And all of the Beastmen, I totally forgot tuskgors.

But its so funny they went all for tusks, instead for sabertooth is funny too.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    I think it is a shame some fantasy creators don't spend more time thinking about biology, evolution and function for their wild ideas. I suppose that if you want to sell a miniature, the aesthetic is the main consideration. Not that that justifies it being the only consideration.

I feel that you ought to have a rough grasp of what tusks are used for in nature, before you start slapping them on everything with a big enough face. Oh well, this is a world where some races just put spikes on everything, even when it has no functional use. Let's not even get started on the practicality of some of the enormous helmets and hats.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 1,616Registered Users
    ***Puts on his THAT guy hat***

FWIW there are some animals that have teeth that continually grow and can actually become a crippling deformity if they don't have something to gnaw on to wear them down.

Also, the carnivorous horses thing may be drawn from Greek myth, along with the Medusae, and as for boars, well... you'd be surprised what they'll eat.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    Sephlock said:

FWIW there are some animals that have teeth that continually grow and can actually become a crippling deformity if they don't have something to gnaw on to wear them down.

Also, the carnivorous horses thing may be drawn from Greek myth, along with the Medusae, and as for boars, well... you'd be surprised what they'll eat.

True dat. Some critters have teeth and horns that can slowly grow into their eye sockets resulting in an eventual death that might make a Slaaneshi wince. Nature can backfire like a skaven war machine sometimes.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    Sephlock said:

Don't get me wrong, there are ways to explain this, and I don't expect complete realism from warhammer (in fact, that'd be against what warhammer stands for), but I just can't help roll my eyes a little if, say as an example, they release some kind of Rhino-knockoff (Rhinox), and it pops up with MASSIVE, dagger-like canines for no real reason. Would it have been less badass with a mouth full of molars? I don't think so. Rhinos are pretty damn cool regardless.

It's just one of those things I'd personally prefer to see GW grow out of.