Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Best Spartan Formations?

TalyonUngolTalyonUngol Posts: 5Registered Users
edited October 21 in General Discussion
So, im actually doing well this game as Sparta, with a massive empire. Fairly new to the game, I took over a year of a break and got into a game of Sparta and before this break, I screwed up as Sparta and could never get past Athens. Sometimes I get halted at Athenas and others at like Macedonia. Well now, this game ive done really well.

Anyways, I want to improve my game. Whats some good formations? In general, im running 15 Hoplights of whatever kind I want and then either 5 artillery or 5 javelin throwers. Im getting into artillery now.

Anyways, what is the best offensive formation?

What about playing defensive at like a bridge?

What about a fort? Would \/ or \_/ be better formation?

Posted a picture of my Empire, everything within the black lines.

Comments

• iceniiicenii Senior Member The PhilippinesPosts: 1,366Registered Users
    Sparta is a non playable faction in TW3K :D :D :D .
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii ".
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,648Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • TalyonUngolTalyonUngol Posts: 5Registered Users
    Wait. Did I accidentally make this thread in the three kingdoms? >.>
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Posts: 233Registered Users
    just a sec.... i'm on the phone .. but you can see me as a very advanced sparta player .. let me look up my best formations, maybe i can even send a couple of screenshots if i can reduce their size…

What i remember from the start of Sparta is to go for Athens right away or try and fight against the .. Macedonians taking profit from the ongoing war wich should enable you to gain a new capital city which is most important income wise.

thats why athens should be considered a wartarget at all times since that capital grants you the ability to trade …

now those screenshots

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
    Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
    Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’
    Here we have a very advanced later tier Spartan army.

If i'm remembering this right the Pikes are formated in the center of the formation with the hoplites taking on the sides. Don't pay attention to the hero unit that is contained within in this army, those are invincible. The Javelin throwers serve a double function but where usually right behind the pike lines either to support the pike lines since the extra distance makes it easier to aim those piky sticks and as you can see they are bulky enough to fight if their jav's are thrown away.
    The ranged jav throwers are for harassing the enemy from the flanks, the cavalry is used to attack either enemy ranged or their artillery. The archers are solely there to kill of enemy ranged infantry. The scorpion can be used to attack anything you like. This one is setup in the back, behind the catapults since it needs that distance to aim correct and fire over the heads of your own soldiers, the archers btw are the third line with the cata's in the fourth and both sides have one ranged and one melee cavalry piece.

There is really no point in differing between offensive and defensive, the only change you make offensively is to the catapults somewhat forward but with this setup most of the time the A.I. will charge you regardless

Here's another setup I choose, ranged heavy wich faced an equal strengthed melee heavy opponent. Your infantry rules never forget that. Even the slave hoplites are just as good as almost any medium tiered infanty piece the opponent can bring to bear

And finally a most defensive, offensive line all together. Here the catapults are designed to take out all the ranged opponents while providing a very strong melee line and a heavy cavalry line to make the most of every circumstance.

most of the time with Sparta I used either 2 or 4 lines

Well.... and your about to reach this point I guess you can call yourself a winner

don't forget your greek, Fleets do matter

Gl with your game .. matey 😋😎

@TalyonUngol

just noticed your campaign progression. Maybe you've noticed that in my campaign i aimed for europe, even made a few small allies on the way that helped with border incursions and those small but annoying pillage armies that are almost impossible to catch. In a way i did the same thing. Moved up first until the coastline then charged west

edited October 23
    I actually JUST won my Spartan Campaign with a military victory!

Getting off the ground as Sparta was the hardest moment, but from there, It was quite easy to play as them.

Might go play Rome now.

Sadly, I dont find many nations in this game fun that and I suck.

Post edited by TalyonUngol on
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,440Registered Users
    After reading through this thread I really wanna play another campaign with Sparta. 😂

I normally never used that much cav, max 2 units. Just wanted to play historical and used about 14 spartan Hoplites, 2 Helote archers, 2 citizen cav and 1 Ballista. I just love infantry. 😂
    ArneSo said:

After reading through this thread I really wanna play another campaign with Sparta. 😂

I normally never used that much cav, max 2 units. Just wanted to play historical and used about 14 spartan Hoplites, 2 Helote archers, 2 citizen cav and 1 Ballista. I just love infantry. 😂

All Ive used was pretty much All hoplites and arty... I didn't need Cav. I just kept on the defensive and made sure my Phalanx wasn't too broken.

Cav was annoying, but they didn't do too much as I made sure to get my lines back in order.