Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Another question for you lot.....

Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Posts: 230Registered Users
Ive been tuning down my graphics settings and noticed something weird.

If I use my FXAA ultra high settings setup my campaign looks like trash, nothing but goods on the tactical segment but I have a very easy powerdraw of around 35% anywhere on the campaign map. If I select a general and his army comes in view most of the time this adds another 3% of powerdraw

Now if I decide I want something more fancy I can choose for high settings and alias x2 value showing of the trees and such, becoming a tad prettier on the tactical going for values on the campaign map around 50% powerdraw with peeks of 60% but if I select a general here the load on the GPU increases with a whopping 20 to 25%!

What is going on here dear chaps? Does this mean both UI and Map are integrally interwoven or is it sign of bad programming?

( the quality of the pictures presented is very low, the pictures themselves do look somewhat better! )

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,327Registered Users
    FXAA is largely useless. It "smooths" the entire image. Basically it makes it blurry. It is a degradation in image quality, in return for less jagged edges.

The higher level AA is better, really power hungry though. It still comes down to the same thing though, it's "smoothing" jagged edges. This can reduce image clarity.

If you're noticing a high power requirement for the map, it's cause is rather obvious. All those trees and such are a lot of edges. There's a lot of complexity in cleaning up all those frames, but the frames themselves are much less complicated to create in comparison to a battle scene with thousands of models.
  • Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Posts: 230Registered Users
    psychoak said:

FXAA is largely useless. It "smooths" the entire image. Basically it makes it blurry. It is a degradation in image quality, in return for less jagged edges.

The higher level AA is better, really power hungry though. It still comes down to the same thing though, it's "smoothing" jagged edges. This can reduce image clarity.

If you're noticing a high power requirement for the map, it's cause is rather obvious. All those trees and such are a lot of edges. There's a lot of complexity in cleaning up all those frames, but the frames themselves are much less complicated to create in comparison to a battle scene with thousands of models.

Ah yea that much i understood, though i question developments made these past 2 years. When i just obtained warhammer 2 it was pretty easy to go high settings and alias 4x with the pictures to show nowadays i can do ultra x4, with a 2060 super but it runs almost at 100% load and around 120% powerdraw ( which is a big no of course )

I specifically aimed this question with the general selected. Only the box that appears displaying the army grants another 20% extra powerdraw ( did not check out the load btw ) on alias x2 while on FXAA its a measly 2% increase on the system with the army box shown.

Its even blocking part of the map, maybe the calculation power needed to implement the said box?

a times 4 picture ( not sure if the textures where set on high on ultra, terrain is definit on ultra

🤣🤣😂😂

Trivia,
    according to hardware unboxed the rx 5700 XT which beats the 2600 super overal ( its more in line with a 2070super which devastates the 5700 XT but is 200 dollars higher in price ) runs equal in warhammer II and three kingdoms

120% power draw doesn't seem like a problem. I believe what you're seeing is an artifact of dishonest marketing.

When they give the power consumption numbers for cards, and other things such as your CPU, they're giving you the base clock value. They then include a boost clock, which is an inefficient power state, on top of simply being a higher power state, and it can be substantially higher than the "official" number given.

This doesn't mean your card is running too hot. It's just not running at a reduced power state.
    It is terrible!

Why can't the industry decide on a commonality for all measurements. TDP should be a double figure showing powerconsumption and heat production.. Lets say for the ryzen 5 2600 65/130 at max value which in this case is 3,9 ghz on all cores!

Well, it's actually not. 3.9 is the boost to one clock, and depending on thermal issues with your cooling setup, it can't even maintain that. It probably can't get anywhere near 3.9 on all cores with a normal cooling setup. It's just not capable of dissipating all that heat.

One person's actual TDP, is not necessarily the same as another's. Now when you buy that nice, cool, triple fan cooled graphics card, that can run overclocked continuously and never break 60c, it's a bit more cut and dry.
    oh well according to the userbenchmark i ran, with xmp enabled precision boost delivers around 3,85 ghz average. I use a 160W tdp cpu cooler but i mentioned 130 because the whole enviroment becomes way hotter then the 90w tdp cpu i used this cooler before on. Ofcourse there is also the x470 motherboard as opposed to the xeon asus board i was using and ddr 3 to ddr 4... now i think of it i belief the powerdraw on the previous board was measured at 100W's more as opposed to the x470 i'm using now

Not surprising, we've got pretty big power efficiency gains over the last few years.
    Yes, as was expected…. Software enhancements are the slowest…. Discarding dx 9 for something which seemed to be oke, halfway through 11, gee lets launch 12 and now we are all in pile of ****. In a way it is pretty adventurous to roam the frontier of technology. Even homemodel desktop pc's can be considered top of the line from a technology standpoint.
    I remember my old technical information teacher telling us how the IT is branch where you never stop with learning, about 20 years ago, if you look today you find several college groups that have as a main line "how to learn everyday".... which you can also find back in the systems we are using.
    The borg from Star Trek come to mind, assimilation to the max with the system as only winner and the individual parts raised on expendability