Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ryzen 3 2200g and rx 570 4gb or ryzen 5 2400g?

ThomastheCarrotThomastheCarrot Posts: 77Registered Users
Hi, I am currently putting together a new build to play total war games on. I have a pretty tight budget and I was wondering if I should go with the ryzen 3 2200g and the rx 570 now, or get the ryzen 5 2400g now and get a dedicated gpu later.

Thanks so much if you can help, please comment.

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,327Registered Users
    Spend another $20 and get the Ryzen 5 3400g.

It's a substantial improvement over the 2400g in single thread performance, and the same integrated graphics that will give you bare minimum performance levels for TW.

Then you can add that video card later, to a substantially faster processor.

If you do get the RX 570, it's really not that much better than the integrated Vega 11. Benchmarking software may show 200% plus performance advantages, but real world game performance is showing far less than that. The RX 570 is a minimal performer. You'll get substantially more performance out of a superior card. Saving up and getting something like a 2060S after a price drop following new card releases, would more than triple your performance in new AAA releases with substantial ray tracing.
  • ThomastheCarrotThomastheCarrot Posts: 77Registered Users
    What do I need to do with the bios on a b450 for a 3rd gen cpu?
    Many of them will be updated already. If they don't claim gen 3 support, just make sure the manufacturer didn't skimp and included bios flashback, and that there is an update available.

To update, you'd download the bios update, and follow directions.

If you're unsure, post the board and I'll tell you.
  • ThomastheCarrotThomastheCarrot Posts: 77Registered Users
    Hi, sorry but I'm quite new to this stuff and I can't find what you are talking about anywhere. Here is the board; msi b450 gaming plus

It would be so helpful to me if you could find out for me. Thanks for your patience.
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS

Right on the description at the top of the page, it tells you both things.

"Supports 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD® Ryzen™"

"Flash BIOS Button: Simply use a USB key to flash any BIOS within seconds, without installing a CPU, memory or graphics card."

If it doesn't come with the bios updated for gen 3 support already, some retailers will do this, and later production runs come with the revised bios, then you just update it yourself.

The directions for doing this will be in your manual, and should look like this:

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button
    Before updating:
    Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI®
    website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the
    root of USB flash drive.
    Important
    Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.
    1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are
    necessary but power supply.)
    2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port
    on rear I/O panel.
    3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the LED next to the button starts
    flashing.
    4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off
    simultaneously.

The Flash BIOS Port is the usb port right next to that button, as shown on the Rear IO Panel page of the manual. You can get the latest revision from the support tab on the manufacturer's page up there. Follow the directions, and you're off to the races.