Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cheveron abuse done right

Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 3,697Registered Users
Just tried something for I suspected might work, and it did.... maybe it's common knowledge, but if you look at the base stats of a star dragon it has 60 MA and 52 MD.

Now, if I chev it up to lvl 7 it has 70/63 and cost almost 3k gold. Nobody does that because it's wasted money....

But in combination with the cheveron bug, if you now enter a battle and gain one chev you end up with:

So, while you pre-invest 600 gold extra, once you gain 1 single cheveron you know get the cheveron bug worth of 8 levels and as you get your cheveron you get +11 MA and +11 MD in one go. In total that is +21 MA and +21 MD down to the base stats....

Maybe about time CA fixes this?

Comments

• Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Posts: 3,697Registered Users
    Oh and thanks to pugnobon for helping out with the test, sorry.
  • ReymReym Posts: 477Registered Users
    Agreed it's about time that they look at this chevron bug.
    But is talking about what is appropriate to talk about in this thread appropriate to be talked about in this thread ?
  • Green0Green0 Posts: 5,160Registered Users
    yep, most efficient way to do it is start with rank 3 dragon.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 4,423Registered Users
    Is this basically true for all chevrons gained in battle, or does having paid-for chevrons trigger the bug?
    Its the same bug, just pointing out you get the bug retroactively on the purchased ones too, so you can earn one and get many bugged ones immediately because all normal bought chevs gets interpreted as bugged ones when you level up.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 4,423Registered Users

Its the same bug, just pointing out you get the bug retroactively on the purchased ones too, so you can earn one and get many bugged ones immediately because all normal bought chevs gets interpreted as bugged ones when you level up.

ah, interesting.
  • SarmatiansSarmatians Posts: 3,229Registered Users

No, not really.

If you gained 7 in battle, you'd have both MA/MD over a hundred

No, not really.

That's true now that you say it, it's probably just cumulative and not retroactive.
  • Modern_ErasmusModern_Erasmus Posts: 131Registered Users

No, not really.

That's true now that you say it, it's probably just cumulative and not retroactive.
    The bug only effects Chevrons earned in battle, wherein the bonus stats of each chevron earned are all applied at once instead of each rank replacing the former as it is supposed to work. Chevrons purchases before the start of the battle are not subject to this bug.

No, not really.

The bug only effects Chevrons earned in battle, wherein the bonus stats of each chevron earned are all applied at once instead of each rank replacing the former as it is supposed to work. Chevrons purchases before the start of the battle are not subject to this bug.
    Yes, that's what I meant by cumulative. Still makes it worse.
  • Modern_ErasmusModern_Erasmus Posts: 131Registered Users
    For sure, this is the number one priority bug fix needed in the game imo.
  • ZeblaskyZeblasky Posts: 441Registered Users
    Chevron bug is cumilative and the best way to abuse it is to get just 1 or 3-4 chevrons on a unit - much less xp needed to level up there instead of level 7. When we tested it with Sooth with old chevron bonuses which favoured MD we got Ironbreakers to 160 MD and goblins to 84 MD. Completely impossible to repeat in QB btw, but still absurd as hell.

And it has been almost 2 years since I've discovered that bug and yet nothing on even trying to fix it. May be it's not a bug, but already a feature?

And to be fair, this bug has the potential to be a fun meta, just like veterancy in Red Alert 3 - keep unit alive and fighting well, and he may yield great return from your care. For now though it's just mostly used to turn Star dragons and other SE units into killing machines. If it even to remain, it needs tweaking.
  • nonentitynonentity Posts: 176Registered Users
    The Chevron system in general needs to be looked at a bit more. Aside from the bugs, which needs fixing asap, it really helps certain units over others. For example, Saurus Warriors benefit tremendously since they already have Great WS and HP but low stats which gets compensated using this current system.
    edited October 24
    Well, it is very hard to abuse it with multi model units.

A few, very hard hitting monsters who deal a lot of damage (Star Dragon and now Saurian) can get chevrons very quickly.

It is very fortunate that many of the monsters are taken as mounts for lords and heroes who can't get chevrons.

• ZeblaskyZeblasky Posts: 441Registered Users
    edited October 24

Well, it is very hard to abuse it with multi model units.

Yea, nothing to see here.
    *frantically hides my rank 4 to 5 Sisters of thorn* Although giving them chevrons became less lucrative since they got cost increase to 1200. Still. Certain cav and multi monster units can abuse it as well. Easiers way is killing artillery crews or expensive ranged units.
    Post edited by Zeblasky on
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 1,375Registered Users
    nonentity said:

The Chevron system in general needs to be looked at a bit more. Aside from the bugs, which needs fixing asap, it really helps certain units over others. For example, Saurus Warriors benefit tremendously since they already have Great WS and HP but low stats which gets compensated using this current system.

Yes this is a major issue with some cheaper spears as well, the added MD makes them a holding force that is extremely effective far beyond what I imagine was intended.
  • DandalusXVIIDandalusXVII Posts: 4,167Registered Users
    OMG that's why I shouldn't chevron max level! Anyway this has to be fixed properly, increasing chevron power but removing the "bug" which I guess isn't a bug but intentionally done this way.
  • nonentitynonentity Posts: 176Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

nonentity said:

Yes this is a major issue with some cheaper spears as well, the added MD makes them a holding force that is extremely effective far beyond what I imagine was intended.
    Well cheap spears generally don't have high weapon strength so I don't think they benefit the most from the chevron system. Empire spears are just good because they attack faster than all other spears and halberds for some reason.
    nonentity said:

OrkLads said:

nonentity said:

Well cheap spears generally don't have high weapon strength so I don't think they benefit the most from the chevron system. Empire spears are just good because they attack faster than all other spears and halberds for some reason.
    It's not the weapon strength that's the problem, it's that their MD is intended to be their main means of holding. So when you can cheaply buff pretty much only MD & leadership, the chevrons end up being more costeffective because you are paying for stats that will be very valuable for the unit.

Not sure who benefits from it most etc but not really interested in taht. Just mean that cheap holding units can benefit disproportionately when only their MD & LD are buffed, even if they get some MA along with it.
    OrkLads said:

nonentity said:

OrkLads said:

nonentity said:

It's not the weapon strength that's the problem, it's that their MD is intended to be their main means of holding. So when you can cheaply buff pretty much only MD & leadership, the chevrons end up being more costeffective because you are paying for stats that will be very valuable for the unit.

Not sure who benefits from it most etc but not really interested in taht. Just mean that cheap holding units can benefit disproportionately when only their MD & LD are buffed, even if they get some MA along with it.
    Well in a sense, yes, but...

Generally stacking chevrons pre battle is less useful than simply having more units. You can have one rank 9 Spearmen or 1.66 rank 0 Spearmen. For 122 more, you can have 2 spearmen instead of 1 with rank 9.

Change to chevrons does mean to you're no longer getting so much MD, which makes it even less useful.

Chevrons gained in battle are more problematic, but since you gain chevrons exclusively from damage dealt, cheap holding units have a hard time gaining them.

OrkLads said:

nonentity said:

OrkLads said:

nonentity said:

Well in a sense, yes, but...

Generally stacking chevrons pre battle is less useful than simply having more units. You can have one rank 9 Spearmen or 1.66 rank 0 Spearmen. For 122 more, you can have 2 spearmen instead of 1 with rank 9.

Change to chevrons does mean to you're no longer getting so much MD, which makes it even less useful.

Chevrons gained in battle are more problematic, but since you gain chevrons exclusively from damage dealt, cheap holding units have a hard time gaining them.
    Fair point, could be wrong about this one.
  • LamentationsLamentations Posts: 100Registered Users
    Honestly surprised I hadn’t heard or noticed this sooner.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,624Registered Users
    How about no leveling up during battles at all? You only get the chevrons you bought at the beginning of the battle.

How about no leveling up during battles at all? You only get the chevrons you bought at the beginning of the battle.

No that's too strict.
  • tzurugbytzurugby Posts: 262Registered Users

That could work for QB... it would devalue chevrons a bit, so you might want to reduce the cost across the board by a smidge to compensate.
    Yeah I wouldn't mind if XP was not a part of single battle.
  • another505another505 Posts: 992Registered Users
    I like chevron won in qb. It feels nice to see your elites gain from nothing to rank four...

Of course i wish the bug is changed. But currently i just imagine it makes those gained chevrons more impactful in a short single battle.

I like chevron won in qb. It feels nice to see your elites gain from nothing to rank four...

Of course i wish the bug is changed. But currently i just imagine it makes those gained chevrons more impactful in a short single battle.

You are right here. It's not a bug though, it's a mechanic to be used, you can risk ranking up a unit a bit and if played correct it can gain even more due to the bug. I want chevrons to go away though, instead we add unit upgrades such as musicians, banners etc. You know from the bottom tab for adding abilities to characters for units these will have unit upgrades options.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 7,729Registered Users

You are right here. It's not a bug though, it's a mechanic to be used, you can risk ranking up a unit a bit and if played correct it can gain even more due to the bug. I want chevrons to go away though, instead we add unit upgrades such as musicians, banners etc. You know from the bottom tab for adding abilities to characters for units these will have unit upgrades options.
    its a bug CA said it

its a bug CA said it
    Ok thanx for telling me.