Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What's the differents between rome total war 2 vs total war attila?

DuckyManTheGreat102DuckyManTheGreat102 Registered Users Posts: 246
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
What makes total war attila better then rome 2?

Is atiila hard cause I like a challenge?

Is attila worth buying?

Comments

• The_baronThe_baron Registered Users Posts: 563
    short answer - no
  • Karoten2Karoten2 Registered Users Posts: 263
    I consider Attila as the worst total war game due to game design, I would not recommend , on the other side, for some people is the best TW game, somebody could say different opinion

the biggest challenge in Attila is to make public order stable, it does not have direct tools (building, edicts) to stabilize,

Each military unit type /infantry, spearmen, cavalry, missiles,.../ needs own building chain. With limited building slots you should be extremely careful to combine buildings - it is like to fix puzzle to make make public order, food, hygiene positive + make income

for me, it has annoying character and political micro-managment , but I think this is, what many people like, so if you like crusader kings, this can be your cup of tea

another point is that the AI "plays different game" that you - it does not have public order penalties, do need to care about food balance due hidden bonuses....

• HerrickHerrick Registered Users Posts: 220
    edited October 2019
    Attila is my favorite tw game.

The problem with Rome 2 is that there is a snowball effect, you will eventually get too powerful and there is no purpose left in the game.
    In Attila there is always a challenge, there is always a worthy opponent. This creates more immersion in a game, it creates the emotion of actually fighting for your kingdom and not just painting a map.

What else is Attila better?

Sieges, family tree (Rome 2 cant compete), dynamic campaign, in order to autosolve you do not see percentages (in this case there is always a risk to autosolve, meanwhile in Rome 2 you can just autosolve everything), graphics and mods.

In order to have a better campaign I recommended the following mods:

Sebidees better battles (balances every unit so that cav isn't OP)
    Only nomads raze (so that the map is always owned by factions and not everything is ruin)
    Ai colonizes more
    More aggressive ai
    MAGA brings region trading into the game :)

And you can download ancient empires mod which brings Rome 2 to Attila, medieval 1264 which brings medieval 2 (they are almost finished with the campaign) and the Lord of the rings mod.

Attila is waaaay better than Rome 2 because of the sense of immersion it brings me
  • DuckyManTheGreat102DuckyManTheGreat102 Registered Users Posts: 246
    Herrick said:

Attila is my favorite tw game.

The problem with Rome 2 is that there is a snowball effect, you will eventually get too powerful and there is no purpose left in the game.
    In Attila there is always a challenge, there is always a worthy opponent. This creates more immersion in a game, it creates the emotion of actually fighting for your kingdom and not just painting a map.

Sieges, family tree (Rome 2 cant compete), dynamic campaign, in order to autosolve you do not see percentages (in this case there is always a risk to autosolve, meanwhile in Rome 2 you can just autosolve everything), graphics and mods.

In order to have a better campaign I recommended the following mods:

Sebidees better battles (balances every unit so that cav isn't OP)
    Only nomads raze (so that the map is always owned by factions and not everything is ruin)
    Ai colonizes more
    More aggressive ai
    MAGA brings region trading into the game :)

And you can download ancient empires mod which brings Rome 2 to Attila, medieval 1264 which brings medieval 2 (they are almost finished with the campaign) and the Lord of the rings mod.

Attila is waaaay better than Rome 2 because of the sense of immersion it brings me

Awsome :D
  • BeibarsBeibars Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 206
    Attila isn't as popular as Rome 2, but it may give you a challenge playing WRE.
    The best dlc for it is Age of Charlemagne.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 9,195
    Playtime Rome 2: 2500h
    Playtime Attila: 200h

Rome 2 is better, you have way more different cultures. Never really liked Attila, most parts of the map were always ruins after 100 turns. Also the Setting is not really appealing to me. Think it’s a matter of personal taste.
    In Attila most factions are also all the same.

Overall I can still recommend Rome 2. Best total war game!
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,864
    Both are great, now, each in it's own way. I enjoy campaign play in both. Completed around twenty campaigns in Rome II and over thirty in Attila, several factions more than once obviously!
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • BenjinBenjin Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 256
    edited November 2019
    Herrick said:

Family tree (Rome 2 cant compete)

What do you mean? Rome II's family tree (marriage, having children etc) is pretty much identical to Attila's. The only thing about the family system that I think Attila has which is different to Rome II is having the ability to marry off your daughters to other faction leaders in diplomacy, whereas you can only marry off your faction leader to another faction leader in Rome II.

If you meant the political system, then I don't agree - Rome II I think is marginally superior to Attila's for some of the following reasons:
    • Multiple political parties, who own portions of your faction's territory, based on the amount of influence they have.
    • Government types.
    • Party and character loyalty traits (Party has two permanent traits, the party leader character has one - as the party leader changes over time, that trait also changes, making things a little more dynamic).
    The only thing that I think is completely missing for Rome II is the office system for characters - the manually initiated promotions are hardly worth the cost and it gets very tedious after a while when you have to click on each character's portrait and then click on the promote button. There is a mod called "Divide et Impera" that attempts to correct this though, making promotions automatic based on a character's gravitas through the use of scripts.

Currently working on a whole lot more, stay tuned.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,811
    edited November 2019
    Attila is much more about surviving while Rome II is much more about expanding and building your empire.

Attila is "darker" and its world devolves into nuclear winter as the campaign goes on (I'm a bit exaggerating but it's only a bit) while in Rome II the world pretty much stays consistent.

Battle balance is also quite different, in Rome II it was mostly about slow battles with a focus on defensive tactics for the most part. Attila on the other hand HEAVILY favors the offensive meta and cavalry damage is just insane.