Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Reskin modding texture

TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,011Registered Users
Hi I wanted to try to re texture a few characters faces and wanted to see if someone could help me out with what programs/plugins I would need I have Photoshop.

Also if anyone has any step by step links just for texturing would be much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• kelembribor21kelembribor21 Posts: 129Registered Users
    For editing textures I am personally using photoshop ,though people claim G I M P is good free alternative, though I could tried to switching to it and couldn't be as effective.

Mostly because I use lot of hand select tool and creation of layers to make editing easier.

This is good guide though it focuses on editing in **** and Rome 2 it is mostly relevant:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?749888-Sebidee-s-Complete-Guide-to-Warhammer-Unit-Modding&p=15270213&viewfull=1#post15270213

There are some more complex youtube videos by Magnar also.

You would basically need image editing program and dds plugin for it.

Pack file manger will also be needed to open archive and extract the file you want to edit.

Most of models have

diffuse ( it edits things like skin, fabric, flesh and bones, when painted dark it is base for specular shiny metalic effect)

normal ( adds 3d effect to texture additionally emphasizing parts, it could improve details a bit, though it can't change model)

specular ( adds shiny metallic effect)
    mask ( adds team color, base usually should be painted light grey on diffuse for most effect)
    gloss_map ( tbh not sure what it does , maybe amount of lightning on texture?)

If you tend only to replace texture with your custom, you don't need to bother with rigidmodel and hex editing, that is only needed when trying to add new variant and preserving vanilla version.

It isn't very hard doing it when you get started, try browsing through those guides and you will get hang of it.

There are also some active discord groups like Sfo, Cataph or others that might have useful stuff posted.
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Posts: 1,011Registered Users
    edited October 28
    G I M P works well, and is IMO much easier to use than Photoshop.

I use Photoshop for one thing: if using wsmodels, there is a "bug" when saving the dds texture with ****: the texture will appear too bright in game. So I get my dds file generated with ****, and process it in Photoshop to save it with the ddss plugin from Intelworks, and it solve this issue.
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,011Registered Users
    edited October 28

For editing textures I am personally using photoshop ,though people claim G I M P is good free alternative, though I could tried to switching to it and couldn't be as effective.

Mostly because I use lot of hand select tool and creation of layers to make editing easier.

This is good guide though it focuses on editing in **** and Rome 2 it is mostly relevant:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?749888-Sebidee-s-Complete-Guide-to-Warhammer-Unit-Modding&p=15270213&viewfull=1#post15270213

There are some more complex youtube videos by Magnar also.

You would basically need image editing program and dds plugin for it.

Pack file manger will also be needed to open archive and extract the file you want to edit.

Most of models have

diffuse ( it edits things like skin, fabric, flesh and bones, when painted dark it is base for specular shiny metalic effect)

normal ( adds 3d effect to texture additionally emphasizing parts, it could improve details a bit, though it can't change model)

specular ( adds shiny metallic effect)
    mask ( adds team color, base usually should be painted light grey on diffuse for most effect)
    gloss_map ( tbh not sure what it does , maybe amount of lightning on texture?)

If you tend only to replace texture with your custom, you don't need to bother with rigidmodel and hex editing, that is only needed when trying to add new variant and preserving vanilla version.

It isn't very hard doing it when you get started, try browsing through those guides and you will get hang of it.

There are also some active discord groups like Sfo, Cataph or others that might have useful stuff posted.

Wow thanks, this is amazing. Thankyou for all the help and tips this makes things a lot simpler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file