Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Chaos Lore Question.

AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,007Registered Users
Does Slaanesh Have a birth story in WHFB like he has in 40k or is he just is in WHFB like the other Chaos gods?

It’s not like there’s an Eldar event like in 40k yet he’s still refered to as the youngest of the four in WHFB. Anything that explain his origin?
Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#

Comments

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,798Registered Users
    Not really. They all arrived at once at the Great Catastrophe.

There's indications that Chaos existed before it arrived in the Warhammer world, which can generate things like one god being younger than the others, but everything that is known of the history of Chaos before the Great Catastrophe comes from the gods of Chaos themselves or their demons, and there aren't a lot of details.

If you take the End Times as canon, there's been a sequence of universes being created and destroyed, so Slaanesh's apparent link to the Elves probably does indicate that (s)he was born through Elf/Eldar/Aelf/Aeldari excesses like in 40K, it just didn't happen on the WFB world.
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 1,007Registered Users
    Yeah I suspected it's a story element left over from when GW couldn't decide whether the WH world was in the 40K universe or not. If it was then the Eldar thing would be the explanation for why (s)he was the youngest. Since GW decided to separate WHFB from 40K there's no explanation, Just that (s)he was already in the warp before the Great Catastrophe.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
    I liked the idea that the WHFB universe was a planet in the 40k one and Sigmar one of the lost primarchs. I don't know why games Workshop decided to get rid of that.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 933Registered Users

I liked the idea that the WHFB universe was a planet in the 40k one and Sigmar one of the lost primarchs. I don't know why games Workshop decided to get rid of that.

It would kinda trivialize the whole universe though, so I prefer them being separate. As someone once said on warseer; saying that fantasy battles is a planet in 40K, is not more true than saying that the entire 40K universe takes place inside a crystal ball in the tower of Hoeth. The two might be the same, but it's ambiguous.

A good example of this is in the end times when Araloth encounters "the silver knight" inside the realm of chaos. This knight's description could fit quite well with Kaldor Draigo, but it is never explicitly said. So for people who support the 1 universe-theory, this is a crossover, but for people who don't, it's not explicitly said.
  • BorealBoreal Posts: 171Registered Users
    "Q : Grombrindal – I have a question for you. There are four Chaos Gods in the Mortal Realms – Nurgle, Khorne, Tzeentch and Slaanesh. But wasn’t Slaanesh created by the aeldari in Warhammer 40,000? How does that work? Any words of wisdom?
    A : Eugh, a Chaos question! I really must sort out my contract so I don’t have to answer them. Anywho… the Realm of Chaos is a mystical place that spans all of existence, stretching across dimensions and time – sometimes it’s called the Realm of Chaos, sometimes the warp, Empyrean, Immaterium, Formless Wastes, Land of Lost Souls or simply the Abyss – it’s all pretty much the same thing. In the Warhammer 40,000 universe it’s said that Slaanesh was created by the aeldari. After his (or her) creation, Slaanesh was then free to journey across the Realm of Chaos, where he (or she) crafted a realm of pleasure and excess in which to dwell. From this point on, Slaanesh could send his (or her) minions – be they mortal or daemonic – across the Realm of Chaos, either into realspace, to the world-thatwas or now the Mortal Realms (and countless other places)."
    -White Dwarf Q&A June 2018
    Boreal said:

"Q : Grombrindal – I have a question for you. There are four Chaos Gods in the Mortal Realms – Nurgle, Khorne, Tzeentch and Slaanesh. But wasn’t Slaanesh created by the aeldari in Warhammer 40,000? How does that work? Any words of wisdom?
    A : Eugh, a Chaos question! I really must sort out my contract so I don’t have to answer them. Anywho… the Realm of Chaos is a mystical place that spans all of existence, stretching across dimensions and time – sometimes it’s called the Realm of Chaos, sometimes the warp, Empyrean, Immaterium, Formless Wastes, Land of Lost Souls or simply the Abyss – it’s all pretty much the same thing. In the Warhammer 40,000 universe it’s said that Slaanesh was created by the aeldari. After his (or her) creation, Slaanesh was then free to journey across the Realm of Chaos, where he (or she) crafted a realm of pleasure and excess in which to dwell. From this point on, Slaanesh could send his (or her) minions – be they mortal or daemonic – across the Realm of Chaos, either into realspace, to the world-thatwas or now the Mortal Realms (and countless other places)."

That's pretty recent... and it does seem to be going back to indicating that the 40K universe and the WFB universe are linked in some fashion, if only in that they both share the same Realm of Chaos.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Posts: 829Registered Users
    Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

That's pretty recent... and it does seem to be going back to indicating that the 40K universe and the WFB universe are linked in some fashion, if only in that they both share the same Realm of Chaos.
    So, maybe the official canon is that there are 3 parallel universes? 40k realspace, WHFB real-space and then the immaterium/warp, which is shared by the two real-space universes? This would explain why the named daemons are present in both universes, but would keep the two universes separated. I like it.

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

So, maybe the official canon is that there are 3 parallel universes? 40k realspace, WHFB real-space and then the immaterium/warp, which is shared by the two real-space universes? This would explain why the named daemons are present in both universes, but would keep the two universes separated. I like it.
    Well, the quote does say "countless other places". Games Workshop has essentially acknowledged that Blood Bowl is a kind of parallel universe where the relations between races are such where a multiracial sports league is actually possible, albeit a violent one. The TWW universe might be another parallel universe. Heck, at some stage they might draw up some of the older retcons with a "yeah, this is another universe that is connected through the same Realm of Chaos".

Basically, using the Realm of Chaos to link through all of their original IP settings and games made under the licence of their original IP. (So, not the Middle-Earth stuff.)

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

The official canon is that the warp is connected to millions of universes. 40k verse, WTW and AOS are just three of many
  • TitusVonDoomTitusVonDoom Posts: 4Registered Users
    I hope we have universe without AoS
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,569Registered Users
    Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

The official canon is that the warp is connected to millions of universes. 40k verse, WTW and AOS are just three of many
    The more realistic canon is that GW reuses names for the Chaos gods because they really liked the ideas and concepts.

Don't overthink this, guys, it's a deep rabbit hole down into 90s Games Workshop nonsense, and a lot of it is really unsatisfying, believe me.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,471Registered Users
    edited November 10

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

The more realistic canon is that GW reuses names for the Chaos gods because they really liked the ideas and concepts.

Don't overthink this, guys, it's a deep rabbit hole down into 90s Games Workshop nonsense, and a lot of it is really unsatisfying, believe me.
    I think the newest theory is that they're connected through the Warp but that they are temporally sequential. Meaning that 40k is connected through Chaos(Realm, Warp, whatever) to AoS and WFB while happening at a different time period, like how WFB ended and then AoS began from its ruins so could 40k be a future iteration of this constant of creation and destruction. Or maybe a past iteration instead.

An example being that Sigmarine meeting someone from WFB's timeline.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

I think the newest theory is that they're connected through the Warp but that they are temporally sequential. Meaning that 40k is connected through Chaos(Realm, Warp, whatever) to AoS and WFB while happening at a different time period, like how WFB ended and then AoS began from its ruins so could 40k be a future iteration of this constant of creation and destruction. Or maybe a past iteration instead.

Fantasy and Age of Sigmar are explicitly tied together, with Age of Sigmar being a direct future of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, albeit with a remade cosmic structure.

My overall point for why the Chaos Gods appear in Fantasy and 40k is just that the game designers and writers over at Games Workshop back in the early 90s had all these demon models lying around, and decided to just put them into Rogue Trader as well. They tongue-in-cheek made references and hints, and sometimes explored more serious possibilities of them being tied together, before retconning stuff and moving away and so on, as the setting became less jokey and more serious.

Ultimately, it's just that the designers liked the demons, had them lying around, and reused them. There's no deep, profound secret to it. This has been a topic of fan discussions since at least when I joined the hobby back in 2001.

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

Fantasy and Age of Sigmar are explicitly tied together, with Age of Sigmar being a direct future of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, albeit with a remade cosmic structure.

My overall point for why the Chaos Gods appear in Fantasy and 40k is just that the game designers and writers over at Games Workshop back in the early 90s had all these demon models lying around, and decided to just put them into Rogue Trader as well. They tongue-in-cheek made references and hints, and sometimes explored more serious possibilities of them being tied together, before retconning stuff and moving away and so on, as the setting became less jokey and more serious.

Ultimately, it's just that the designers liked the demons, had them lying around, and reused them. There's no deep, profound secret to it. This has been a topic of fan discussions since at least when I joined the hobby back in 2001.
    I posted a quote from white dwarf in 2028 saying that Slannesh is the same and sends deamons to both settings.

We also have this.

“A miss indicates that the missile has left Warpspace at the wrong point – and this could be anywhere in any of the million universes.” -Adeptus Titanicus

"When the world-that-was fell, Archaon wandered the multiverse destroying realities for Chaos before he arrived in the Mortal Realms."- Warhammer 500 facts for 500 Stores (Fact 186) https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/19/20th-oct-500-facts-for-500-stores/

"I hear you, and I defy you." Horus' words echoed down the aeons, coming from a place beyond time and space. "This universe will burn as countless others have burned before it! There can be no victory against Chaos." -Wolfsbane

"Of all the puzzles in the multiverse, there is one that escapes Tzeentch" - Deamons Codex

"The forms the live-things called Chaos, in their limited little ways of perceiving the omni-verse, swarmed and thrived in this infinite ocean of mind and emotion."
    -Deus Sanguinius

The warp/realms of chaos are connected to a whole multiverse. 40k, Fantasy and AOS are just the few explored.
    edited November 10

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

The quote from white dwarf in 2018 literally states that Slannesh is the same in both settings and sends deamons to both plus anywhere else.

We also have this

"The forms the live-things called Chaos, in their limited little ways of perceiving the omni-verse, swarmed and thrived in this infinite ocean of mind and emotion."
    -Deus Sanguinius

“A miss indicates that the missile has left Warpspace at the wrong point – and this could be anywhere in any of the million universes.” -Adeptus Titanicus

"When the world-that-was fell, Archaon wandered the multiverse destroying realities for Chaos before he arrived in the Mortal Realms."- Warhammer 500 facts for 500 Stores (Fact 186) https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/19/20th-oct-500-facts-for-500-stores/

"I hear you, and I defy you." Horus' words echoed down the aeons, coming from a place beyond time and space. "This universe will burn as countless others have burned before it! There can be no victory against Chaos." -Wolfsbane

"Of all the puzzles in the multiverse, there is one that escapes Tzeentch" - Deamons Codex

The warp/realms of chaos are connected to an entire multiverse. 40k, fantasy and AOS as just the only ones we have seen.
    I think it is worth noting that if there was a sequential relationship, 40K probably came first. That's the setting which had the birth of Chaos as we know it, after all.

One of the odd things about the shared Realm of Chaos is that there are differences in the Realm of Chaos between 40K and Fantasy. For instance, in 40K, Isha is the prisoner that Nurgle tests his plagues on - in Fantasy, this was somebody else (in some references a rebellious demon, in the End Times it was Shallya). Mind you, some of these differences might be matters of unreliable narrator.
    Boreal said:

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

The quote from white dwarf in 2018 literally states that Slannesh is the same in both settings and sends deamons to both plus anywhere else.

We also have this

-Deus Sanguinius

The warp/realms of chaos are connected to an entire multiverse. 40k, fantasy and AOS as just the only ones we have seen.
    Dude, I understand that you think this is a cool interpretation of GW's universes, and by all means if you want it to be like this go ahead, but I'm going to be really blunt with you and say that this is basically just GW's writers being cute with their fans.
  • SchwarzhelmSchwarzhelm Posts: 774Registered Users
    @Sir_Godspeed
    It doesn't even make a lot of sense.
    If both settings are explicit together we would have Cyber Demons and the Greenskins would start building high tech weapons if enough of them came together.

All in all I prefer if both universes are separate from each other.

Boreal said:

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

We also have this

-Deus Sanguinius

Dude, I understand that you think this is a cool interpretation of GW's universes, and by all means if you want it to be like this go ahead, but I'm going to be really blunt with you and say that this is basically just GW's writers being cute with their fans.
    It doesn't matter what you say, I'm not a fan of the universes being connected but they are.

@Sir_Godspeed
    It doesn't even make a lot of sense.
    If both settings are explicit together we would have Cyber Demons and the Greenskins would start building high tech weapons if enough of them came together.

All in all I prefer if both universes are separate from each other.

Because the greenskins aren't the same.
    And deamons don't use tech.
    Strictly speaking, as much as people don't like it, we do have cyber demons in WFB from 8E. (Strictly speaking, in fact, I think demons got an update between the 7E army book and the 8E one that added the Soulgrinder.)

The curious thing would be the Chaos Gods never sending a Traitor Legion through the warp to the WFB world to just knock it over then and there. It's possibly a priority issue - the Traitor Legions can still get more for Chaos in the 40K galaxy such that it isn't worth diverting them into Fantasy. Instead, they prefer to use the demons (which are effectively infinite in the Warp, and limited in the material universes by local conditions, so sending demons to the WFBverse doesn't reduce their ability to send them into the 40Kverse) and local Chaos-worshipers.
    Boreal said:

Boreal said:

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

We also have this

-Deus Sanguinius

It doesn't matter what you say, I'm not a fan of the universes being connected but they are.
    They are according to one particular white dwarf writer. That doesn't automatically make it canon. The problem with the warhammer universes is that they were written over several decades by dozens of authors, they are often in contradiction with themselves. Multiple universes being canon in both settings, does not mean that they are part of the same multiverse. In fact, the end times make it seem as though the warhammer fantasy world is the only one the chaos gods are working on at that time (if time makes sense for chaos), hence their desire to end it so they can move on.

Boreal said:

Boreal said:

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

We also have this

-Deus Sanguinius

They are according to one particular white dwarf writer. That doesn't automatically make it canon. The problem with the warhammer universes is that they were written over several decades by dozens of authors, they are often in contradiction with themselves. Multiple universes being canon in both settings, does not mean that they are part of the same multiverse. In fact, the end times make it seem as though the warhammer fantasy world is the only one the chaos gods are working on at that time (if time makes sense for chaos), hence their desire to end it so they can move on.

That is an official Q&A that was posted in GWs official magazine.
    It's official, it's not just one writer as the Q&As are checked.
    Boreal said:

Boreal said:

Boreal said:

Crossil said:

Boreal said:

Draxynnic said:

Boreal said:

We also have this

-Deus Sanguinius

That is an official Q&A that was posted in GWs official magazine.
    It's official, it's not just one writer as the Q&As are checked.
    I was subscribed to white dwarf for several years. Those Q&As were wrong several times, directly contradicting with 8th edition armybooks. So yes, it was one writer, and maybe their editior as well. It still does not make it necessarily true.