Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

GW keeping the City happy

twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 2,213Registered Users
GW announced a brief financial update on how it was doing on Friday.

Highlights:
Games Workshop now estimates that it will have booked sales of at least £140m – a 12 per cent increase – for the six months to the start of December. Profit before tax is set to rise 35 per cent and will not come in lower than £55m, it added.

“The company has also had a very strong performance in royalty income, both in terms of guarantees from signing new agreements and contribution from existing games.”

Market value is an impressive £1.5bn.

Analysist view:
“Its customers are fanatical, loyal and part of a vibrant community whose hobby is centred on miniature figures,” said Russ Mould at AJ Bell.

Same could be said for the electronic version of WFB if this forum is anything to go by (Ed – don’t mention AoS).

https://www.cityam.com/games-workshop-shares-soar-as-profits-beat-55m/

https://investor.games-workshop.com/

Comments

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 1,773Registered Users
    If you want to talk about the financial success of GW, then you very much have to mention Age of Sigmar..
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 2,213Registered Users

If you want to talk about the financial success of GW, then you very much have to mention Age of Sigmar..

(You’re Fired – Ed).
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,879Registered Users
    twwatcher said:

Analysist view:
    Its customers are fanatical, loyal and part of a vibrant community whose hobby is centred on miniature figures,” said Russ Mould at AJ Bell.

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Posts: 2,827Registered Users
    THIS HAS MY CONSENT
  • ArsenicArsenic Posts: 4,536Registered Users

Is AoS starting to become popular in it's own right then? Haven't really kept up with it, it just didn't grip me for some reason or another.

Was curious whether the upswing was due to people liking the game, or more collecting what are some pretty fine-looking models.
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 20,621Registered Users
    Acting as if AoS is the worst thing eva is so 2016. It's here, and it's here to stay, deal with it.

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,212Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

Is AoS starting to become popular in it's own right then? Haven't really kept up with it, it just didn't grip me for some reason or another.

Was curious whether the upswing was due to people liking the game, or more collecting what are some pretty fine-looking models.
    Models are amazing, game is pretty good, but the lore is shallow AF. Looks like that's enough for sales, though.

Acting as if AoS is the worst thing eva is so 2016. It's here, and it's here to stay, deal with it.

As precisely no-one has criticised it here, what was the point of saying that? Or was it just a preemptive statement in case anyone did?
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,569Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

Long-time tabletop players I know are very enthusiastic about the new rules, which the say are a lot more dynamic and fun than later editions of Fantasy.

Most of them don't particularly care overly about the lore/fluff, but are gamers and hobbyists first and foremost.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 6,474Registered Users

I play it. But for relatively forced reasons. If it were up to me I’d still be shuffling trays of ranked up Dawi.

At least I finally got to play a magic heavy army. Though the current magic system isn’t nearly as fun as the old one.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    Arsenic said:

As precisely no-one has criticised it here, what was the point of saying that? Or was it just a preemptive statement in case anyone did?
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2528434/#Comment_2528434

• BiesBies Junior Member Posts: 1,724Registered Users
    old world will never die
    new chaos models

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

It's about time Chaos Warriors got updated. Their last overhaul was in, what, sixth edition?

Speaking of AoS, I do hope the voice used for the "Hedonites of Slaanesh" video is along the lines of what CA plan for N'kaari.
  • JycceJycce Posts: 104Registered Users
    Great ! Then they don't have to be afraid of allowing CA to make Araby and Cathay ! (just passing by)
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,055Registered Users
    From what I've heard the lore is beginning to be fleshed out a bit with second edition, I'm thinking of starting to collect again with some Nighthaunts, which look great.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,164Registered Users
    Just wait until sjw and feminist get in GW and see them crumble.

And yes the problem with AoS is the bad or casual lore and the action toy like design of some factions.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,879Registered Users

Just wait until sjw and feminist get in GW and see them crumble.

And yes the problem with AoS is the bad or casual lore and the action toy like design of some factions.

and for me some of the names... sorry, but "Orruks" is plain lazy, "Grot" just sounds too much like Greenskin speech to sound somewhat reasonably to be used outside of their race, "Duardin" doesn't flow nicely... especially in case of "Zharr Duardin"... aka "Dawi Zharr"...
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Posts: 3,858Registered Users
    Lore and realm design are still **** but who cares because those models are so pretty!

Still can’t believe the floating sky dwarfs haven’t been ridiculed out of existence.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,430Registered Users
    Oh sure it is doing great, except the fact that are doing stupid price rises on everything (blood of the phoenix was a disgrace, and Necromunda dark uprising is horribly expensive) they are going to feel constantly pressured to keep growth going. I am very concerned about the long term future, retention is already a hassle.
    Arsenic said:

Even after 4 years, you still got a lot of carried over units (look at cities of sigmar) which feel like pale shadows of their former selves. What made the likes of shadow warriors, the vampires or dwarven history in general really interesting is gone and the replacements have not been great. The flesh-eater courts and cities of sigmar are super weird as well, feels like a faction that solely existed to clear out stock.

Also I would say the profit increase is more to do with the fact that GW \ds completely relaunched the space marine line with the Primaris marines. The new lore for the Primaris marines isn't completely destroying. This is since all characters are getting a flu jab a Primaris transition and no one is dying (unlike WoF) and nothing has really changed much, but it came with a lot of flukes and bad writing. The worst part however is the fact they are telling space marine players that their settled collection of models is completely irrelevant, so buy the new space marine models because them tactical squads are going to completely useless. Keep in mind the SPEZZ MAHRINES make up close to 50% of model sales.

Also keep in mind that both WoF, and even WH40K in some regard, was doing very badly for a long time because GW noticed that army fielding requirements was too restricting and stopped people from buying expensive models. Why buy the necrosphinx when you are forced to buy skeletons that you don't care about. Major rule changes in both games were needed, including kill team for people who collected a few units of each faction, I do think these rule changes were needed.
    Although I don't pay attention to AoS much, I assume that it is similar to WH40k in terms that you can bring an army of 4-6 imperial knights/titans and that is literally a legit army. You couldn't bring 3-4 Stegadons so easily in the past, I believe this has changed so this type of spam might be very possible and very easy to do (but I haven't read AoS rules anyway).
    Regardless of rule changes, however, the true reason AoS exists and WoF was cancelled was because of copyright reasons and to create a world that did not resemble planet earth. Otherwise we would of just got the rules changes and called it a day.
    Arsenic said:

It is. Especially considering the amount of vitriol and spite the game has recieved from fans in the past. Of course it is nowhere near the juggernaut that is WH40k, but the scale of AoS and all of the subgenre games attached to the system, allows for easier and faster games, that won't cost a fortune for people to be able to play.

Also, the miniatures are fantastic.
    I would also like to direct CA towards the fact that none of the Chaos Warrior models are helmetless.

• LamentationsLamentations Posts: 100Registered Users
    Helmets save lives.
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Posts: 1,359Registered Users
    The rules for AoS are so-so, Fantasy Battles was better. But the biggest most worst aspect of it, is the lore of AoS is as deep as a puddle and playing way too safe.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Posts: 1,430Registered Users
    Amonkhet said:

The rules for AoS are so-so, Fantasy Battles was better. But the biggest most worst aspect of it, is the lore of AoS is as deep as a puddle and playing way too safe.

That really depends on the gamer you are. Look I know 40k has a lot of cheese and spam lists, but going back to a forced core/special/rare or have only 0-2 of this unit is officially gone (way worse restrictions). Good luck trying to tell the 11-13 years old that they must paint something they don't like to field a proper army. I personally do believe that such changes to 40k were for the better. Now with AoS, rank-and-file is very dead and skirmish is dominant.

WF could of had the battle system of AoS, again though everything was to do with copyright.

Still I do agree that there are parts where they are playing too safe, Stormcasts are super goody-goody and I haven't heard of anything about them that they did which was considered somewhat evil.
    Otherwise GW are trying to make up some kind of lore to justify a units inclusion and its not working very well. An example being Nagash picking Manfred over Wsoran, you know the SAME W'SORAN WHO WOULD OF SEEN THE REALM OF DEATH AS A DAMN PARADISE AND WOULD DO ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING TO PROTECT IT AND ITS MASTER. But nope, Manfred has a model from the end times and Wsoran doesn't so here is your lore.

ight.

Still I do agree that there are parts where they are playing too safe, Stormcasts are super goody-goody and I haven't heard of anything about them that they did which was considered somewhat evil.

I don't know.... Capturing the souls of heroes and forcing them through a torturous session of both body and mind, which culminates in the molten remains of the World That Was being poured over them, and then forcing them to be warriors in a war that will last for all eternity, without the respite of death, does seem like a **** thing to do...
    Why the hell do we need Stormcasts to be "somewhat" evil? I for once don't want good guys who are such just because they are only kicking half as many puppies as the bad guys. For that nonsense go to WH40k.

You know, making Bretonnia all !GRIMDARK! where decadent nobles freely exploit and oppress peasants dumber than rocks when they were originally knights in shining armor played straight was one of the stupidest things they could do in old WHFB and it just soured playing them. They don't need to repeat that mistake.

edited November 10

Why the hell do we need Stormcasts to be "somewhat" evil? I for once don't want good guys who are such just because they are only kicking half as many puppies as the bad guys. For that nonsense go to WH40k.

You know, making Bretonnia all !GRIMDARK! where decadent nobles freely exploit and oppress peasants dumber than rocks when they were originally knights in shining armor played straight was one of the stupidest things they could do in old WHFB and it just soured playing them. They don't need to repeat that mistake.

Bretonnia was only ever NOT grimdark in the 5th edition... Literally all other editions of Bretonnia had it be a place rife with corruption and arrogant nobles...

And as I recall it, people did not like how Bretonnia was depicted in 5th edition. The nation simply felt too much out of place compared to the rest of the Warhammer World. The only thing people seemed to respond well to, was the introduction of well-meaning special characters (such as Louen Leoncoeur).

The 6th edition is probably the best rendition of Bretonnia, with the knights not being downright evil and corrupt, but just uncaring for the unwashed masses of peasants.
    Ehem, Bretonnia was only introduced in 5th edition and changed in 6th, which was also the last one that featured them in any major way, so "literally any other edition" refers to exactly one book.

Sorry, but no. I don't like the medieval morons version of Bretonnia and I don't think it was any popular because they didn't get any armybooks after that.

edited November 10

Ehem, Bretonnia was only introduced in 5th edition and changed in 6th, which was also the last one that featured them in any major way, so "literally any other edition" refers to exactly one book.

Sorry, but no. I don't like the medieval morons version of Bretonnia and I don't think it was any popular because they didn't get any armybooks after that.

No? Bretonnia has been present in the lore and had army lists since 2nd edition...