Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer books/lore

beegee84beegee84 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 279
Over the last month I've been reading lots of warhammer books to understand more the setting which this game is based on.

Ive read the first 7 gotrek and felix books and im halfway through the 8th orcslayer which I must admit is a painful slog.

Are any of the gotrek and felix books worth reading after beastslayer. The standard seemed to drop at vampireslayer then more so in giant slayer "500 uses of the word perhaps" and orcslayer is just painful im not even sure if ill be able to finish it but im hoping it gives me something worth taking in near the end.

I loved the way thanqual and snitch tounge have been written but their stories seemed to end at beastslayer. Do they ever re-appear in later gotrek and felix books. If there are books worth reading further in the series can I just pick them up individually without having to read the naff books before them.

I've also read the sundering which I thought was a masterpiece and war of vengeance which I liked but didn't love depending on the author "master of dragons being the highpoint". What order should I read time of legends books as im trying to read them in order of when they happened. Are there any I should skip

Comments

• UberReptilianUberReptilian Registered Users Posts: 1,054
    I'm interested in reading those books. What is the main reason that caused the drop in quality and what makes Orcslayer so bad?
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 3,262
    edited November 2019
    Thanquol got his own spin-off book trilogy and I highly recommend it (Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent, Thanquol's Doom). It has all 3 books in a compilation right now with Warhammer Chronicles.

There is also spin-off (I think?) of Gotrek and Felix called The Serpent Queen, which deal with them being in the middle of a war between the Tomb Kings and Vampires. The other recent G&F are kinda meh, at least to my taste.

Apart from that, I highly recommend The Red Duke and Headtaker novels. They are very good standalone books.
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Thanquol reappears in Elfslayer. He also has a cameo in the last AoS novel featuring Gotrek.
  • beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 279

I'm interested in reading those books. What is the main reason that caused the drop in quality and what makes Orcslayer so bad?

Ill start by saying the first 5 books were brilliant and should be read back to back as the story is a direct continuation. You learn an awful lot about what's going on in the world of warhammer and with each book the story keeps building in an epic fantasy that you can see the author had an idea of where he was going for the following book. Between skavenslayer and beastslayer the whole thing was like one very long continuous book.

Vampireslayer felt like an after thought which had little conection with the rest of the story but overall wasn't bad and still gave you plenty of information about the warhammer world but for no reason at all thanqual and snitch tounge got removed from the seires, at this point they were 2 of the most interesting characters and instead they got replaced by 2 chaos mages "that also appeared in dragonslayer/beastslayer"

Gaintslayer was even more cut off from the rest of the story but did bring teclis into it but the book really over used the word "perhaps". So much so ud think a 5 year old wrote it. I suspect William king may have been fired because this book was so bad but that's just my own view. There wasn't anything in the book to say keep reading on past this book for there's still a big threat to come. Every book up to vampireslayer did this. You keep coming back because you know there's still something big about to happen.

Orcslayer they changed the author from william king to nathan long. The book is simply put boring. Im just over halfway through and I haven't learned a single new thing about warhammers world. There seems to be lots more conversation in it but its far from interesting or gripping and the story seems to be even more detached from everything thats happened up to this point then vampireslayer and gaintslayer were and again no thanqual snitch tounge or snorri max valiya or the 2 chaos mages. Instead we have a few new dwarfs that appear to all of very low IQ

Overall id say read them but it might be worth stopping after beastslayer, I'm just trying to find out if there's any worth reading after that book because im onto my 3rd poor book in a row now and if the books are no longer as closely linked to eachover it might be worth me skipping a few and just reading whatever good ones are still to come individually.
    Fossoway said:

Thanquol got his own spin-off book trilogy and I highly recommend it (Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent, Thanquol's Doom). It has all 3 books in a compilation right now with Warhammer Chronicles.

There is also spin-off (I think?) of Gotrek and Felix called The Serpent Queen, which deal with them being in the middle of a war between the Tomb Kings and Vampires. The other recent G&F are kinda meh, at least to my taste.

Apart from that, I highly recommend The Red Duke and Headtaker novels. They are very good standalone books.

Ill definitely be reading thanqual bonripper seires as I actually found their story more interesting than gotrek and felixs. Does their own book start from when they dissappear after beastslayer or is their still more of them to be read about in gotrek in felix that I should read first before starting their books
    Fossoway said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Thanquol reappears in Elfslayer. He also has a cameo in the last AoS novel featuring Gotrek.

Do you think its worth me finishing orcslayer and bothering with manslayer. Should I just skip those 2 books and move straight onto elfslayer, or will that ruin the story by me missing critical information
    Not sure I can get through 5 poor books in a row if manslayer is as bad as orcslayer to get started on elfslayer
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,163
    The time of legends books aren't really connected in their stories, so I would not bother reading them in chronological order. The order is however: Sundering, War of Vengeance, Nagash, Sigmar. Not sure which other series there were.

Thanquol does appear again later, at the very least he is in elfslayer as said above. I liked that one, orcslayer was the worst G&F book for me aswell.

If you liked both the Sundering and early Gotrek & Felix, I would reccommend you the Tyrion and Teclis trilogy. It is written by William King, the same guy who wrote the early Gotrek and felix books, and tells the story of Tyrion and Teclis in their youth, leading up to the battle of Finuval plain. The titles are "Blood of Aenarion", "Sword of Caledor" and "Bane of Malekith".

The time of legends books aren't really connected in their stories, so I would not bother reading them in chronological order. The order is however: Sundering, War of Vengeance, Nagash, Sigmar. Not sure which other series there were.

Thanquol does appear again later, at the very least he is in elfslayer as said above. I liked that one, orcslayer was the worst G&F book for me aswell.

If you liked both the Sundering and early Gotrek & Felix, I would reccommend you the Tyrion and Teclis trilogy. It is written by William King, the same guy who wrote the early Gotrek and felix books, and tells the story of Tyrion and Teclis in their youth, leading up to the battle of Finuval plain. The titles are "Blood of Aenarion", "Sword of Caledor" and "Bane of Malekith".

Tyion and teclis seemed like the natural progression from the books I've read. Its definitely high on my list after time of legends books.

There's the black plague and also a few standalone books like the fall of ekrund in the time of legends. I believe the fall of ekrund happens not long after war of vengeance
    beegee84 said:

Fossoway said:

Ill definitely be reading thanqual bonripper seires as I actually found their story more interesting than gotrek and felixs. Does their own book start from when they dissappear after beastslayer or is their still more of them to be read about in gotrek in felix that I should read first before starting their books
    Yeah, I think his trilogy starts right after he comes back from the events of Hellpit and Praag. It's also quite funny that there is some mentions of his PTSD following his encounter with Gotrek.
    beegee84 said:

Fossoway said:

Do you think its worth me finishing orcslayer and bothering with manslayer. Should I just skip those 2 books and move straight onto elfslayer, or will that ruin the story by me missing critical information
    Honestly? I really don't know. Like you I've lost a bit interest in G&F. I personally skipped the later books, and prefer standalone novels. I'm currently waiting for my order of the Vampire Wars, hope those are good.

If you're really not enjoying Orcslayer, then just skip it. Glance over the main parts so you get the general idea, then get on with the next book. Don't force yourself to read something you don't like.
    Fossoway said:

beegee84 said:

Fossoway said:

Yeah, I think his trilogy starts right after he comes back from the events of Hellpit and Praag. It's also quite funny that there is some mentions of his PTSD following his encounter with Gotrek.
    beegee84 said:

Fossoway said:

Honestly? I really don't know. Like you I've lost a bit interest in G&F. I personally skipped the later books, and prefer standalone novels. I'm currently waiting for my order of the Vampire Wars, hope those are good.

If you're really not enjoying Orcslayer, then just skip it. Glance over the main parts so you get the general idea, then get on with the next book. Don't force yourself to read something you don't like.
    It looks like the 4th omnibus might be a lot better than the 3rd ominbus. I think I might skim the next 2 books, I haven't heard great things about manslayer either
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian Registered Users Posts: 1,054
    beegee84 said:

lIl start by saying the first 5 books were brilliant and should be read back to back as the story is a direct continuation. You learn an awful lot about what's going on in the world of warhammer and with each book the story keeps building in an epic fantasy that you can see the author had an idea of where he was going for the following book. Between skavenslayer and beastslayer the whole thing was like one very long continuous book.

Vampireslayer felt like an after thought which had little conection with the rest of the story but overall wasn't bad and still gave you plenty of information about the warhammer world but for no reason at all thanqual and snitch tounge got removed from the seires, at this point they were 2 of the most interesting characters and instead they got replaced by 2 chaos mages "that also appeared in dragonslayer/beastslayer"

Gaintslayer was even more cut off from the rest of the story but did bring teclis into it but the book really over used the word "perhaps". So much so ud think a 5 year old wrote it. I suspect William king may have been fired because this book was so bad but that's just my own view. There wasn't anything in the book to say keep reading on past this book for there's still a big threat to come. Every book up to vampireslayer did this. You keep coming back because you know there's still something big about to happen.

Orcslayer they changed the author from william king to nathan long. The book is simply put boring. Im just over halfway through and I haven't learned a single new thing about warhammers world. There seems to be lots more conversation in it but its far from interesting or gripping and the story seems to be even more detached from everything thats happened up to this point then vampireslayer and gaintslayer were and again no thanqual snitch tounge or snorri max valiya or the 2 chaos mages. Instead we have a few new dwarfs that appear to all of very low IQ

Overall id say read them but it might be worth stopping after beastslayer, I'm just trying to find out if there's any worth reading after that book because im onto my 3rd poor book in a row now and if the books are no longer as closely linked to eachover it might be worth me skipping a few and just reading whatever good ones are still to come individually.

Thanks for the response. Also yes Thanqoul Trilogy comes highly recommended.
    The best thing about these books is reading them in between turn times
    beegee84 said:

Tyion and teclis seemed like the natural progression from the books I've read. Its definitely high on my list after time of legends books.

There's the black plague and also a few standalone books like the fall of ekrund in the time of legends. I believe the fall of ekrund happens not long after war of vengeance
    The black plague is in the empire's history, so after the Sigmar trilogy. There is also a book about Neferata, I would guess it is set after/during the Nagash books (which in turn take place very shortly after the war of vengeance).
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,336
    Warhammer books - and Games Workshop fiction in general - is definitely quantity over quality. Finding the good in the chaff can be difficult. I am more familiar with the 40k library than the Fantasy though.
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,403
    edited November 2019
    I like them all but I can understand why others might not, I love how the characters are developed and your introduced to new races and characters.

Ulrika has an interesting spin off set off books and learning why snorri took his oath and what happens to him in the final G&F end times books is quite emotional.

I was disappointed Kat didn't get much story development and how things ended for G&F especially now they are both coming back for AoS makes no sense to me, but there are some great moments I've enjoyed reading

Palace of the plague lord is a good read if u like Nurgle/norsca

The sundering triology is definitely quality as is the first 5 gotrek and felix books, the middle book in war of vengeance was a masterpiece as well.......... Maybe ive got lucky so far in fact I've picked up some great ones first

Only ones ive disliked are giantslayer orcslayer the great betrayal. vampireslayer and the curse of the phoenix crown were both okay but nothing amazing

I read a few short stories as well that weren't fantastic but I don't include those

So far id say the warhammer world is more interesting than a song of fire and ice or lord of the rings

Weve got movies/series for both of those. Wouldn't it be great to get warhammer on the big screen with a big budget

What I like about it, is its dark very dark. The bad guys win in the end unlike in LOTR and GOT. It has all the intrigue that made GOT great. Its definitely more adult than LOTR

If they made it id expect it to be over 15 or 18

The first half of malekiths sundering book is one of the best books ive ever read, his journey through an abandoned ancient city of an unknown race to recover the iron circlet was nothing short of epic
  • WalashWalash Registered Users Posts: 349
    William King only wrote up to Giant Slayer. He is an excellent writer. Then Nathan Long took over. Not as good.
    Gotrek and Felix is a long process of creation. Initially, it is believed to be a rewrite of Grunsonn's Marauders (inferno story). They made plenty of little stories. There was not plan to go further than all the stories in Trollslayer. He even died at the end initially. But it was so successful that they decided to continue. You clearly see that it was meant to stop at dragon slayer after that (and it is really the best of it).
  • QuecoQueco Registered Users Posts: 263
    edited November 2019

Like others have said, the change in author killed the series. Being a loyal fan I did read the series till the last book and I regret it to this day. I did enjoy Giantslayer though...

The Tyrion & Teclis series is quite excellent as well, by the same author that started the Gotrek & Felix novels.

Personal favorite of mine is the Brunner the Bounty Hunter series.

Edit: The Bretonnian novels are also fun (knight errant, knight of the realm...)

The Legends books (the rise of Sigmar, the RIse of Nagash, Rise and Fall of Malekith, and others) are also excellent.

That said, the overall quality of Black Library books has fallen tremendously in the last few years IMO. Not to mention the bloody PRICE. I used the read the books in hard copy (physical books), but for some strange reason, a little after BL started making the books available in the e-bookstores, they doubled, and sometimes even tripled, the price!!! The same book that cost me $7.99-$8.99, say a Gotrek & Felix novel, now costs me $15.99 or more, for the same bloody book!!!! A short novel, less than 200 hundred pages, goes for $8-$10! Bah!

As interested as I am in the lore of Warhammer and 40k, I cannot and will support Black Library's prices. Again, just my opinion and stance. There are some decent novels, especially older ones, but way too overpriced.
    Walash said:

William King only wrote up to Giant Slayer. He is an excellent writer. Then Nathan Long took over. Not as good.
    Gotrek and Felix is a long process of creation. Initially, it is believed to be a rewrite of Grunsonn's Marauders (inferno story). They made plenty of little stories. There was not plan to go further than all the stories in Trollslayer. He even died at the end initially. But it was so successful that they decided to continue. You clearly see that it was meant to stop at dragon slayer after that (and it is really the best of it).

Thats interesting I actually thought that the book after dragonslayer "beastslayer" was the second best and to me that felt like the real ending of the story as throughout dragonslayer you're aware of chaos amassing and heading south into kislev and you get an idea that there's something bigger going to happen in the following book. Plus throughout a large part of dragonslayer they're really just on their way back to praag
  • KandennKandenn Registered Users Posts: 485
    I’m about to start G&F so very pleased to learn than the first five books are a blast !

I’m reading the omnibus about Nagash right now, not a masterpiece but you learn a lot about him taking the power with the help of the dark elves, Neferata and the first Vampires, Nagashizzar and the war with the skaven.

Tyrion and Teclis was a good read. The part with Urian Poisonblade was surprisingly interesting. The last book leading to the battle of Finuval was a bit slow and boring however, especially the part with Tyrion and the Everqueen.

I liked the sundering too, mainly the books about Malekith and Caledor. Alith Anar looked too much like a spoiled kid for my taste.
    One very weird thing about the Sundering, the 3 books take place almost at the same time. So for some events you read the exact same page with the exact same dialogues 3 times. It’s logical I guess, but I found this a bit lazy, literally a copy/paste.

I also have to start the war of vengeance. Really please with the concept of Warhammer Chronicles, was sad when those book were no longer published.

Also, don’t forget to read Malus books if you haven’t.
  • EpicureanEpicurean Member Registered Users Posts: 139
    Timpeyo said:

I like them all but I can understand why others might not, I love how the characters are developed and your introduced to new races and characters.

Ulrika has an interesting spin off set off books and learning why snorri took his oath and what happens to him in the final G&F end times books is quite emotional.

I was disappointed Kat didn't get much story development and how things ended for G&F especially now they are both coming back for AoS makes no sense to me, but there are some great moments I've enjoyed reading

Palace of the plague lord is a good read if u like Nurgle/norsca

Hey, what's this? Both Gotrek AND Felix are coming back in AoS?! Was it implied in the newest AoS Gotrek book? I haven't read it yet.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,395
    edited November 2019
    After "Beastslayer" the Felix & Gotrek series changes his tone and gets a bit *meh* at the end. Since the last two books are settled in "The (horrible) Endtimes" that of course does not help. But I would probably finish the saga if you are halfway done anyway.

In case of Felix & Gotreks nemesis Thanquol, end of the month there comes a compilation for his standalone adventures.

This omnibus contains three novels: Grey Seer, Temple of the Serpent and Thanquol’s Doom, and two short stories: 'Mind-Stealer' and 'Thanquol Triumphant'.

https://www.amazon.com/Thanquol-Boneripper-Warhammer-C-Werner/dp/1781939888/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=thanquol&qid=1573748394&sr=8-1
    So probably a good idea to get that, if you not already have bought the standalone books itself.

While with the compilations, might also be a good idea to pick up this one since we cover basically three TWW LLs in one.

Includes the novels Skarsnik and Headtaker, the novella Thorgim and several short stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Warlords-Karak-Eight-Warhammer-Chronicles/dp/1784969087/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=warlords+of+karak&qid=1573748479&sr=8-1

Personal favorites would still be these two

which would be bundled in this ombnibus
    https://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Genevieve-Warhammer-Novels/dp/1844166740/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=warhammer+drachenfels&qid=1573748993&sr=8-3
    but as far as I have heard, the other Ulrika stories might not be that good.

------Red Dox
    Kandenn said:

I’m about to start G&F so very pleased to learn than the first five books are a blast !

I’m reading the omnibus about Nagash right now, not a masterpiece but you learn a lot about him taking the power with the help of the dark elves, Neferata and the first Vampires, Nagashizzar and the war with the skaven.

Tyrion and Teclis was a good read. The part with Urian Poisonblade was surprisingly interesting. The last book leading to the battle of Finuval was a bit slow and boring however, especially the part with Tyrion and the Everqueen.

I liked the sundering too, mainly the books about Malekith and Caledor. Alith Anar looked too much like a spoiled kid for my taste.
    One very weird thing about the Sundering, the 3 books take place almost at the same time. So for some events you read the exact same page with the exact same dialogues 3 times. It’s logical I guess, but I found this a bit lazy, literally a copy/paste.

I also have to start the war of vengeance. Really please with the concept of Warhammer Chronicles, was sad when those book were no longer published.

Also, don’t forget to read Malus books if you haven’t.

Yea the fact they repeated lots of the same events via different perspectives made the final book calador slightly hard to get through for me id pretty much already read the story three times and each book starts by going over the last half of the previous book then it progressed a little bit I actually thought shadow king was my favourite as it had so many memorible great moments. The first book malekith would have been the best if halfway it hadn't switched to caladryals perspective. In the end caladryal had less significance to the story to warrant getting half a book written about him

Shadow king alith anars book I was gripped start to finish. Italian sparticus deadicated 2 lore video's based on that book probably because there was just so many big events in it

Overall as a whole I loved all 3 books in the sundering it was definitely better than war of vengeance. War of vengeances problem was it had 3 different authors. I wish chris wraight wrote all 3. Cl werner had his work cut out for him in the final book peicing other authors work together and I only really started liking the curse of the phoenix crown near the end
  • IsrafilIsrafil Registered Users Posts: 19
    Highly recommend "Neferata" and "Master of Death" for Time of Legends. Gives some perspective on the vampires and the two protagonists (Neferata and W'Soran) are both pretty compelling. Kind of depressing in their own way but fun nonetheless.

Of course, if you're the type who needs their stories to be about actual heroes then you won't find much - shades of grey are the name of the game in these two.
    Follow me on twitter @perchancetogame. I write about our own End Times - or climate change. But End Times sounds cooler.
    Not sure if ill bother with malus darkblade after reading orcslayer. I was going to but if im a little put off Nathan longs writing style...... Maybe its just that one bad book he wrote though
    beegee84 said:

Not sure if ill bother with malus darkblade after reading orcslayer. I was going to but if im a little put off Nathan longs writing style...... Maybe its just that one bad book he wrote though

Malus darkblade books are great, although really edgy as you can expect from a book about dark elves. Also, keep in mind that it is quite old even compared to most of the other books mentioned here, so there are many details in those books that have been retconned later on.
    Israfil said:

Highly recommend "Neferata" and "Master of Death" for Time of Legends. Gives some perspective on the vampires and the two protagonists (Neferata and W'Soran) are both pretty compelling. Kind of depressing in their own way but fun nonetheless.

Of course, if you're the type who needs their stories to be about actual heroes then you won't find much - shades of grey are the name of the game in these two.

Does blood of nagash happen before or after legend of sigmar?

At the moment I think ill read fall of ekrund, rise of nagash, either blood of nagash or legend of sigmar whichever comes first then the black plague which I believe is the last of them. I really want to read them in order of warhammer history.

• WalashWalash Registered Users Posts: 349
    beegee84 said:

Thats interesting I actually thought that the book after dragonslayer "beastslayer" was the second best and to me that felt like the real ending of the story as throughout dragonslayer you're aware of chaos amassing and heading south into kislev and you get an idea that there's something bigger going to happen in the following book.

In my opinion, that is where the warhammer tabletop game takes over: Chaos descending from the waste. They were not clear on how many times Chaos tried to take over the world at the time. They made it clearer fare later. I think they didn't know themselves and so it let an opening to create another story. They have been rewriting the Archaon invasion several times, leaving people a bit confused sometimes
    Walash said:

beegee84 said:

Thats interesting I actually thought that the book after dragonslayer "beastslayer" was the second best and to me that felt like the real ending of the story as throughout dragonslayer you're aware of chaos amassing and heading south into kislev and you get an idea that there's something bigger going to happen in the following book.

In my opinion, that is where the warhammer tabletop game takes over: Chaos descending from the waste. They were not clear on how many times Chaos tried to take over the world at the time. They made it clearer fare later. I think they didn't know themselves and so it let an opening to create another story. They have been rewriting the Archaon invasion several times, leaving people a bit confused sometimes
    Just finished orcslayer and yes it now has me confused as its the first time archaon is mentioned in gotrek and felix and hes already sieging middenhiem