Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer books/lore

2»

Comments

• beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Posts: 141Registered Users
    But in beastslayer its seperate invasion and the 2 chaos mages and tzeentch warn the chaos champion that I forget the name of that he was attacking to early, so you knew he'd fail and there be another invasion

I loved beastslayer it was full of information about warhammers world and chaos
  • WalashWalash Posts: 340Registered Users
    beegee84 said:

Just finished orcslayer and yes it now has me confused as its the first time archaon is mentioned in gotrek and felix and hes already sieging middenhiem

Yes because they have changed the story since. I wonder if they have red taped the new omnibus version of G&F
  • NinjipplesNinjipples Posts: 684Registered Users
    I know exactly what you mean. I enjoyed up to Giantslayer (all William King), Orcslayer was garbage. I was so bored and disappointed with it. The next few are alright but nowhere near as good as the originals. It's when they change author a third time that the books become a complete waste of time (even more dull than Orcslayer)

The Grey Seer (Thanquol spinoff) Trilogy is fantastic. The second book is the weakest. The first is the best and the third is pretty solid.

The Tyrion & Teclis trilogy (also by William King) is really good. Definitely worth a read.

The Malus Darkblade Chronicles are good too (unsurprisingly darker in tone), but aren't for everyone. My GF and a few of my friends didn't like reading about the horrible things that happen in the books.
  • IsrafilIsrafil Posts: 12Registered Users
    beegee84 said:

Israfil said:

Highly recommend "Neferata" and "Master of Death" for Time of Legends. Gives some perspective on the vampires and the two protagonists (Neferata and W'Soran) are both pretty compelling. Kind of depressing in their own way but fun nonetheless.

Of course, if you're the type who needs their stories to be about actual heroes then you won't find much - shades of grey are the name of the game in these two.

Does blood of nagash happen before or after legend of sigmar?

At the moment I think ill read fall of ekrund, rise of nagash, either blood of nagash or legend of sigmar whichever comes first then the black plague which I believe is the last of them. I really want to read them in order of warhammer history.

Blood of Nagash takes place before Legend of Sigmar as I understand it. Though the prologue takes place during the Sigmar trilogy. I never read that since I have little interest in the Empire faction, let alone Sigmar. A little too Conan for my tastes.
    Follow me on twitter @perchancetogame. I write about our own End Times - or climate change. But End Times sounds cooler.
  • PlatypusErosPlatypusEros Posts: 23Registered Users
    William King is life. The tonal change between King and Long killed it for me.

If you find 0k interesting, the Horus Heresy novels are god, but there is a lot of them.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 4,301Registered Users
    Nathan long took over after giant Slayer, and frankly he's a really bad writer. Just ruins the character of ulrika in his Ulrika novels and I bet it's no better with G&F
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
    Israfil said:

Highly recommend "Neferata" and "Master of Death" for Time of Legends. Gives some perspective on the vampires and the two protagonists (Neferata and W'Soran) are both pretty compelling. Kind of depressing in their own way but fun nonetheless.

Of course, if you're the type who needs their stories to be about actual heroes then you won't find much - shades of grey are the name of the game in these two.

I just read that they failed to even finish the blood of nagash trilogy, which has put me off starting that one slighty. Im not sure I can handle knowing there was meant to be a third book that they never published. Its a shame because id have liked to have gone through all the time of legends books
    Seldkam said:

Nathan long took over after giant Slayer, and frankly he's a really bad writer. Just ruins the character of ulrika in his Ulrika novels and I bet it's no better with G&F

Urlika was far from my favourite character even when bill king wrote about her so I think ill give ulrika the vampire a miss.

Lots of people seem to rate malus darkblade though which is also Nathan long. I might try the first malus book and if its crap stop there
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Posts: 4,301Registered Users
    beegee84 said:

Israfil said:

I just read that they failed to even finish the blood of nagash trilogy, which has put me off starting that one slighty. Im not sure I can handle knowing there was meant to be a third book that they never published. Its a shame because id have liked to have gone through all the time of legends books
    Seldkam said:

Urlika was far from my favourite character even when bill king wrote about her so I think ill give ulrika the vampire a miss.

Lots of people seem to rate malus darkblade though which is also Nathan long. I might try the first malus book and if its crap stop there
    Ulrika was pretty alright for me just because I read the vampire books first so sadly I knew that she would become one. And also that she was an awful character before in the vampire books, so the other wasn't as bad.

As for Nathan long and Malus not sure where you're getting that. I have both omnibuses and Nathan isn't anywhere near them, I think I would've noticed. Maybe you're talking about the comics, which I haven't read?
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
    Seldkam said:

beegee84 said:

Israfil said:

Seldkam said:

Ulrika was pretty alright for me just because I read the vampire books first so sadly I knew that she would become one. And also that she was an awful character before in the vampire books, so the other wasn't as bad.

As for Nathan long and Malus not sure where you're getting that. I have both omnibuses and Nathan isn't anywhere near them, I think I would've noticed. Maybe you're talking about the comics, which I haven't read?
    My mistake its mike Lee

Notbsure where I got that from