Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Guard Mode On Ranged Units

Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior MemberPosts: 21,114Registered Users
This is something I badly want for the QoL patch, make it so that guard mode keeps ranged units from moving other than pivots. If you put a ranged unit in guard mode and designate a target that's out of range, it will stay put, only rotate to face said unit and open fire once said unit moves into range. When the target moves out of range, the ranged unit in guard mode will also not pursue said unit but stay where it is. Melee units in guard mode don't move unless they're routed, why do ranged units act differently in the first place?

Comments

• Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 7,872Registered Users
    edited November 15

This is something I badly want for the QoL patch, make it so that guard mode keeps ranged units from moving other than pivots. If you put a ranged unit in guard mode and designate a target that's out of range, it will stay put, only rotate to face said unit and open fire once said unit moves into range. When the target moves out of range, the ranged unit in guard mode will also not pursue said unit but stay where it is. Melee units in guard mode don't move unless they're routed, why do ranged units act differently in the first place?

This used to be the case in game 1 i believe and was changed for some unknown reason.

However it is good on units with fire on the move and guard mode so they can shoot in combat, so while i agree with your idea i thin it should work as it currently does on units with fire on the move.
  • WitchbladeWitchblade Posts: 347Registered Users
    Wait, isn't this currently still how it works?
  • rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Posts: 579Registered Users
    ^ No because they currently chase units that are out of their range when you click.

And actually, I think that is more often useful than not. Usually when you click to attack a unit, you do actually want to attack it.

There is a niche for OP's proposal (I'm thinking artillery in particular) but I wouldn't want it to replace regular guard mode, which is a good default behaviour for most missile inf/cav. Maybe OP's version should be on a separate button, or just make arty guard mode work like that.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,114Registered Users
    edited November 15

^ No because they currently chase units that are out of their range when you click.

And actually, I think that is more often useful than not. Usually when you click to attack a unit, you do actually want to attack it.

There is a niche for OP's proposal (I'm thinking artillery in particular) but I wouldn't want it to replace regular guard mode, which is a good default behaviour for most missile inf/cav. Maybe OP's version should be on a separate button, or just make arty guard mode work like that.

Disagree, the current mode means your skirmishers need to be constantly babysat lest they run like morons into the frontline just because their target has moved out of their range.

Actually, guard mode on ranged units can't really be said to have any effect at all currently. Is there any difference between their behaviour in either mode? Not really.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 4,485Registered Users
    The trouble is the main reason to use guard mode for ranged units right now is so models fire even if part of the unit is engaged.

At least for me, that's more important, and I do generally want my ranged units to move towards their target and shoot them while in guard mode.

So not a fan of this change. Would just mean I never used guard mode except maybe for artillery.
    eumaies said:

The trouble is the main reason to use guard mode for ranged units right now is so models fire even if part of the unit is engaged.

At least for me, that's more important, and I do generally want my ranged units to move towards their target and shoot them while in guard mode.

So not a fan of this change. Would just mean I never used guard mode except maybe for artillery.

That frankly sounds more like a bug. Ranged units should not be allowed to fire at all while engaged. Was like that in pretty much every other TW game, except this one. Very suspicious,
  • rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Posts: 579Registered Users

Disagree, the current mode means your skirmishers need to be constantly babysat lest they run like morons into the frontline just because their target has moved out of their range.

Actually, guard mode on ranged units can't really be said to have any effect at all currently. Is there any difference between their behaviour in either mode? Not really.
    Surely the difference is that in guard mode they "don't run like morons into the frontline just because their target has moved out of their range", i.e. precisely what you're asking for.

In guard mode they will only run into the frontline if the target wasn't in range when you click, so there's no need for babysitting, only good initial target selection.
  • GeneralConfusionGeneralConfusion Posts: 909Registered Users

eumaies said:

That frankly sounds more like a bug. Ranged units should not be allowed to fire at all while engaged. Was like that in pretty much every other TW game, except this one. Very suspicious,
    No, Guard Mode has worked that way for ranged units since Medieval 2 at least; in Medieval 2 and Rome 2, if you have a ranged unit in Guard Mode, unengaged models will fire on a designated target even if part of the unit is fighting in melee. It's a feature.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,831Registered Users
    edited November 16
    eumaies said:

This needs to stay or shutting down ranged is to easy
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Loupi_Loupi_ Posts: 1,324Registered Users
    I think its good for range units in guard mode to keep firing when in melee, especially for units like irondrakes.
  • AWizard_LizardAWizard_Lizard Posts: 929Registered Users
    Loupi_ said:

I think its good for range units in guard mode to keep firing when in melee, especially for units like irondrakes.

It's essential for units like irondrakes.
    I want a way to keep ranged troops from moving about.

They also shouldn't fire when engaged in melee. That's just yet another way melee infantry gets short-changed by the game so it needs to die. It also did not work like that in any other TW title.