Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

CA: What we're up to (05.10.2011)

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Registered Users
edited October 2011 in The Archive
Hi guys,

I ran out of space in the old post, so I thought I'd start a new one this week. I've also left this one unlocked so you chaps can add your comments if you like.

A couple of quick updates to bring to you from The Creative Assembly this week. Keen eyed members of the forum might have seen us featuring briefly on the Eurogamer website this week in their video highlights of the event.

We were there for all four days of the event giving careers advice to those looking to get into the games industry, as well as scouting the hottest talent in Britain. Having personally attended the last three Eurogamer Expo events, I have to say that this year was undoubtedly the best of the bunch. We weren’t showing any games at the event, but our friends in the industry showed off some great titles this year. CA favourites included Skyrim, Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3.

In other news, how would you like the chance to win a trip to The Creative Assembly? We’ll be running a competition in the next few days. I can’t go into too much detail just yet, but we’re celebrating the fact that we’ve been nominated in two categories for the Golden Joysticks (www.goldenjoystick.com) . We’re up for Best Strategy game and Ultimate Game of the Year, so if you’d like to The Creative Assembly’s name on the trophy, please do vote for us.

Since the launch of Rise of the Samurai, we have of course been keeping a close eye on the forums and checking out feedback. As a result of this, we’ll likely be releasing a hotfix soon to address a couple of issues that we think are affecting the game at the moment, especially with the stats for the Naginata Warrior Monks, which had inadvertently reverted to old values during the build process.

It’s not a massive hotfix, but there are six or seven issues that we’ve remedied, so keep an eye on the forums in the next couple of days for more information on that update when it’s ready to go.

We also now have a Tumblr page, if that excites you. Tumblr is a social network/blogging site that allows you to reblog stuff you find interesting. We are now up and running on there, so do check it out – it will cover all of our games, and we might pop up exciting new features on there from time to time. In the coming weeks and months I’m sure there will be lots of cool stuff to be found on there.

Right now, we’re running a developer Q&A on the page. So if you have a burning question that you’d like answering, drop us a line through the Tumblr page and we’ll do our best to answer it.

I think that’s it. Have a great week, whatever you’re up to.

CraigTW
The Creative Assembly
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• NewtNewt Senior Member Posts: 266Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    First, thank you Craig and everyone else over there for making great games and products that constantly impress me and many, many others and bring us hours (or as the Steam records show, weeks and months of total time) of entertainment. The Total War games always receive more attention and play time from me than any other game I own to date. You surely deserve some awards! And thank you for always striving to connect with us players. It really makes us feel like we are part of a community.

Now my real quick question. There have been a few posts about faint transparent smoke for some (including myself) running DX11 (and maybe DX10, I'm not certain). But these few threads have received very little attention. I am curious to know if this is intended or a real bug and if so if it has been noted or if there is just a random few of us with an issue on our ends. I won't go into detail since there are a few posts out there already, but it seems as though it is a problem for several with different graphics card models and manufacturers.

I just wanted to continue to get this out there with hopes of finding a solution.

Thanks again for all your (singular and plural) hard work, it means a lot to so many of us!
  • mushinmushin Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    we’ll likely be releasing a hotfix soon to address a couple of issues that we think are affecting the game at the moment, especially with the stats for the Naginata Warrior Monks, which had inadvertently reverted to old values during the build process.
    :):):) I was sure it was a mistake
  • casshern09casshern09 Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Please say you are doing something about the stuttering on the campaign map?
    Intel i7 970 3.2ghz (6 cores)
    16GB DDR3 (2000mhz)
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    X-Fi Titanium Pro
    120mhz Benq Monitor 1920x1080
    Corsair Professional Series 1200 PSU
    Win 7
  • FlaminiusFlaminius Senior Member Posts: 147Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Hey Craig, I know this is offtopic, but do you have any plans to release the Hattori clan along with the exclusive goodies of the limited edition to the general public in the form of a hot, juicy DLC?

I'm sure those who already got them wouldn't mind since we wouldn't get it for free and in the end everyone is happy :p
    Proud owner of

-- Rome: Total War Gold Edition
    -- Medieval II: Total War & Kingdoms
    -- Total War: SHOGUN 2 (all DLC included)

Not so proud of

-- Rome Expansions
    -- Empire & Napoleon: Total War GOTY
  • BurnyBurny Senior Member Posts: 192Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Flaminius wrote: »
    Hey Craig, I know this is offtopic, but do you have any plans to release the Hattori clan along with the exclusive goodies of the limited edition to the general public in the form of a hot, juicy DLC?

I'm sure those who already got them wouldn't mind since we wouldn't get it for free and in the end everyone is happy :p

I agree, i got the hattori and it's fun to play around with the ninjas. They could make a hattori dlc for like 1 or 2 € that would be cheap enough and CA would just make more money.
    Proud member of Sakua Gaming
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Dat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Registered Users
    edited October 2011

I have asked around about this as a lot of you guys are keen. I'll update you if I hear good news :)
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Dat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    casshern09 wrote: »
    Please say you are doing something about the stuttering on the campaign map?

Could you please be more specific? We aren't seeing that in testing. Do you have the latest graphics drivers?
    edited October 2011
    Newt wrote: »
    Now my real quick question. There have been a few posts about faint transparent smoke for some (including myself) running DX11 (and maybe DX10, I'm not certain). But these few threads have received very little attention. I am curious to know if this is intended or a real bug and if so if it has been noted or if there is just a random few of us with an issue on our ends. I won't go into detail since there are a few posts out there already, but it seems as though it is a problem for several with different graphics card models and manufacturers.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Regarding this issue, I'll ask around for you.
  • SkollopSkollop Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,232Registered Users
    edited October 2011

Well since it was a part of a limited edition I don't think it should. I had to buy mine in England to get it at a proper price and then wait 10 days after release to get my game.
    And yes, it was "free" for some. The cheapest danish retailer sold the Limited Edition more expensive than the normal, and as I said above, I had to wait 10 days to get the Limited Edition.

On topic: Thanks for the update Craig :)
    Previously known as DenmarkRules
  • Nick StoneNick Stone Senior Member Posts: 385Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Ok Craig, thanks for the updates!

Quick question, any news on the new TW? When can we hope to see an announcement??????

Nick.
    [PORTABLE-ID]nickstone[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • Welsh_DragonWelsh_Dragon Senior Member Great BritainPosts: 2,912Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    I own the Limited Edition, and will finally be able to have a go at it and the rest of Shogun 2 very soon (I bought it on release, but my computer wasn't up to the task, so had to wait till I could afford a new one. :D )

I'm perfectly fine with the Hattori being made available as a fairly cheap paid DLC for all players. I'm a strong believer of the ethos that all content, but especially all GAMEPLAY related content should be available to all players. In other words, if people want to offer very limited edition skins for example, or an extra hat, then that's okay. But units, factions etc should always, always be made available to all players eventually.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    CraigK CA wrote:
    I think Welsh Dragon knows too much...
    "You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."
  • MateriaMateria Member Posts: 32Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    CraigTW wrote: »
    I can’t go into too much detail just yet, but we’re celebrating the fact that we’ve been nominated in two categories for the Golden Joysticks www.goldenjoystick.com. We’re up for Best Strategy game and Ultimate Game of the Year, so if you’d like to The Creative Assembly’s name on the trophy, please do vote for us.

CraigTW
    The Creative Assembly

I hope Shogun 2 wont win. It is way worse game, than Shogun 1. Many things were completely wiped out of the game, changed or other *edited* was added (like -> Realm Divide = wth?!).

I so much regreat buying LE edition. I was expecting next great game a'la Shogun 1, but what have I got?

Already voted AGAINST, and I believe that every single player that is dissapointed in Shogun 2 should do the same.

Teach CA a lesson!

Please don't try to evade the swear filter, this is a family forum and those words are bleeped for a very good reason,
    Shire
  • NewtNewt Senior Member Posts: 266Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Materia wrote: »
    I hope Shogun 2 wont win. It is way worse game, than Shogun 1. Many things were completely wiped out of the game, changed or other *edited* was added (like -> Realm Divide = wth?!).

I so much regreat buying LE edition. I was expecting next great game a'la Shogun 1, but what have I got?

Already voted AGAINST, and I believe that every single player that is dissapointed in Shogun 2 should do the same.

Teach CA a lesson!

I disagree with you. I think they've been making great improvements. (Although, I think some tweaking to the RD could be made like good allies should stay on your side as it is more realistic, especially when they are often at war with the Ashikaga. Why would they listen to the shogunate if they are fighting them?)

But, overall, I still think it's an improvement.

That said, you're entitled to your own opinion. The part that bothers me, however, is your "Teach CA a lesson". Just because you are personally displeased with the direction they have gone does not mean that they need a lesson. I would dare to say more people are pleased with S2 than those who are not (hence a Metacritic score of 90).

I think can express your displeasure. But do so in a constructive way, please.
  • YoshimoYoshimo Senior Member Dundee/ScotlandPosts: 211Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Total War:Shogun 2 has my vote.

If the work-rate continues the next Total War will have it aswell.

Great Job CA.
  • TedKoppelTedKoppel Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Craig, a couple of requests:

1.) reset-able Hero and DLC vet units. Make it cost a couple clan tokens but you can reset your unit to level 0 and work your way back up again. That or make em selectable as regular units but with a unit cap for them.

2.) tone down the 'under friendly fire' penalty. i like it, it prevents meatshield, but it's too severe. friendly units rout after 1 or 2 volleys even if they don't really kill any friendlies. the enemy doesn't seem to take much morale hit though. i'd prefer if it was -4 to -10 morale but -20 is too much.

3.) be able to leave matchmade battle lobby without alt-f4ing and also a minute or so before anyone can ready up. hate it when someone hits ready as soon as the lobby loads and then you're racing to get an army and retainers.

4.) rapid volley and fire by rank shouldn't cost 240. especially fire by rank. half that amount would be more acceptable for fire by rank, i haven't seen anyone actually use it anways b/c it's bugged and the first rank that fires won't start reloading until after 2nd and 3rd ranks shoot, which doesn't really make much sense.

5.) great guard cap should be removed. if it stays, remove the retainer requirement. hardly anyone uses them now, it's almost a worthless unit at the moment due to the new restrictions.

thanks CA!

one more request:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include a matchlock hero with the next DLC =D
  • SkollopSkollop Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,232Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Matchlock Hero? Sounds like a sniper unit for the general...
    Previously known as DenmarkRules
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,073
    edited October 2011
    Materia wrote: »

Teach CA a lesson!

Please don't try to evade the swear filter, this is a family forum and those words are bleeped for a very good reason,
    Shire

Shogun 2 is well deserved of both the awards it's been put up for, you really can't compare Shogun 2 to the original Shogun they are ten years apart and barely have anything in common except for subject matter. Everything else is different right from the campaign map thru game mechanics to even the type of units you fight with, it all belongs to a completely different era of strategy gaming now.

I also find this comment of "Teach CA a lesson" bizarre to say the least, have you not noticed the huge leaps in game style, content and playability since Medieval 2 let alone the original Shogun? All the games from Empire have been much larger in scale and complexity than the previous games and have blown the forerunners out of the water or have you not played any of the TW games between Shogun and Shogun 2?
  • TheCrazyCatTheCrazyCat Banned Posts: 1,502Banned Users
    edited October 2011
    Shogun 2 is well deserved of both the awards it's been put up for, you really can't compare Shogun 2 to the original Shogun they are ten years apart and barely have anything in common except for subject matter. Everything else is different right from the campaign map thru game mechanics to even the type of units you fight with, it all belongs to a completely different era of strategy gaming now.

Wait.... are you telling me that we're not fighting in japan? and are you telling me that one of these games did not have ASHIGARU, MONK, SAMURAI and CAV units? I am confused.
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,681Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    We weren’t showing any games at the event, but our friends in the industry showed off some great titles this year. CA favourites included Skyrim, Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3.

I have to say, that you have a great taste :D. Exactly what I'm looking forward the most (apart from the next TW title of course :) )
  • TurcomanTurcoman Member Posts: 39Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Craig and its great to see CA interacting with community so quickly, monk spam is big issue in my opinion, i am currently 7 level silver rank, and most of players that i 've played so far just take monk oriented armies, some takes only naginata monks, no other unit. Its impossible to beat them, you cant beat them with cav as they have cav bonuses, you cant defeat them by killing their general because they have high moral. And the worst thing is you cant defeat them with any sword inf, more than that they have warcry ability...

The best thing in my opinion is to add a real unit cap thing, for example 4 monks for 14k battles, 3 monks for 10k. If you dont want your players to be bored, you need to direct your community to pick different types of units so that there can be a real "rock-paper-scissor", or maybe the better "rock paper scissors lizard spock".

A better solution may be hard to implement to the game, the same thing in medieval 2, if you take more than 4 of same units it gets more expensive so if you are so fan of monks you may take them all but that can be costly to you.

One thing i want to ask is will there be some fix for crashes post battle, when i finish a battle, sometimes i get crush before pressing end battle.

The last thing i want to ask is a fix for retainer bug, i know this bug is known by really few people, you can pick more than 5 retainers, its shown as 5 but you can make more than 5 retainers to work, this is really big issue, in my opinion this retainer bug should be fixed immediately....
    "Nasıl ki Horasan erleri cümle alemin baş tacı ise, Oğuz dili de cümle dillerin atasıdır. Bizim desteğimiz Oğuz dili konuşanadır. Yad illerde yitmemek için, tek dayancımız Oğuz dilidir”.
    [PORTABLE-ID]turcoman[/PORTABLE-ID]

steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006654579
    xfire: janissaryturcoman

Member of Warriors of Crom Clan (WoC)
    www.woc.divaniharp.com
  • jmaszkjmaszk Senior Member ...riding with the Sarmatae Auxilia...Posts: 1,297Registered Users
    edited October 2011

I also find this comment of "Teach CA a lesson" bizarre to say the least, have you not noticed the huge leaps in game style, content and playability since Medieval 2 let alone the original Shogun? All the games from Empire have been much larger in scale and complexity than the previous games and have blown the forerunners out of the water or have you not played any of the TW games between Shogun and Shogun 2?

Also, the bigger and more complex these games get, the harder it is to find all the bugs prior to release. I know CA is doing everything they can to make sure their release builds are as polished as possible, but things happen.
    I AM TOTAL WAR!!

Thunder & Death are but a mere understatement...a footnote really...

War brings us closer...the clash of swords...the serrinade of the musket...and the sweet aroma of napalm in the morning.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of bubble gum";)

"Chuck Norris's monitor has no glare...nothing glares at Chuck Norris and lives."

Steam ID: JonFett \ |Takeda| Tada Mitsuyori
  • donCamillodonCamillo Senior Member Posts: 219Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    you totally deserved my votes.
  • TheCrazyCatTheCrazyCat Banned Posts: 1,502Banned Users
    edited October 2011
    jmaszk wrote: »
    Also, the bigger and more complex these games get, the harder it is to find all the bugs prior to release. I know CA is doing everything they can to make sure their release builds are as polished as possible, but things happen.

ya like tf2........ oh wait...
  • FlaminiusFlaminius Senior Member Posts: 147Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    I have asked around about this as a lot of you guys are keen. I'll update you if I hear good news :)

Yay, thanks for sticking up for us :D
    Proud owner of

-- Rome: Total War Gold Edition
    -- Medieval II: Total War & Kingdoms
    -- Total War: SHOGUN 2 (all DLC included)

Not so proud of

-- Rome Expansions
    -- Empire & Napoleon: Total War GOTY
  • ChocoboChocobo Senior Member Posts: 714Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    I'm a big fan of Rise of the Samurai multiplayer changes, keep it up CA. Don't go overboard with your balance tweaks, if you give an inch the complainers will take a mile (for some reason that idiom doesn't sound proper in metric terms). Not every complaint is justified. ;P
  • RTKAbuRTKAbu Senior Member Posts: 1,410Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Good to see a hotfox coming asap. Hopefully the hotfix notes will be public aswell. Aside from the obvious monk spams you face, i started prestige today after i was assured the avatar woulnt cost more money when level 19, and i have to say, after 15 or so battles i had today, it is extreme fun. Almost no monk spams, difficult matches and enjoying ones, also hardly disconnects, only 1 time and i was awared the victory :)

Although the balance of this patch was a bit bad, the fact that all maps got buildings now and you implemented a system to replay over and over is a huge improvement already. Isnt their a possibility to unlimited prestige over and over again and get awards (30-40 tokens or armour pieces you don got yet) every time you restart? If not, maybe its in idea to let the ladders only start for people who are gold prestige. In League of Legends for example you can only start gaining on the ladder if you are level 30 (which takes a long while). To make prestige a bit more atractive, you could try to only let people in the ladder who are at least gold prestige. so it forces people to at least restart twice and teach the newer players on the lower levels who start the game recently how to play.

All in all, after the hotfix, GJ and keep up the good work. I hope to see the next patch a bit sooner then the many months we had to wait this time though, as their are still many balance issues to be solved :)
  • damadman228damadman228 Senior Member Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Good news. Thumbs up to you, CA!

One question though: Do you have any plans of releasing the historical battle of Kawagoe to players who didn't preorder from Gamestop?(Like people who don't live in North America?) That'd be awesome. Could be a 1 buck dlc or something.
    This might be helpful for those still playing S2 MP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444087

Also check out this awesome channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 7,060Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    ... have you not noticed the huge leaps in game style, content and playability since Medieval 2 let alone the original Shogun? All the games from Empire have been much larger in scale and complexity than the previous games and have blown the forerunners out of the water or have you not played any of the TW games between Shogun and Shogun 2?

Indeed. Whatever tweaks and changes I'd like to see to this or that game, the games have steadily improved with each release.
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • cobraboicobraboi Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    What about the campaign map freezes that occur after the lastet patch? Worked fine before?
  • JoxerJoxer Member Posts: 88Registered Users
    edited October 2011
    Craig can we know the exact release date of the fix? Soon is not enough imho because we waited months for the loan swords fix to have a game bugged like before so i think we deserve to know.

Anyway i will continue to use monks even after the fix like i did when people spammed loan swords. But i want it to be a choice not to be forced to ;).
This discussion has been closed.