Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bartering, Bronze, and Battles: TROY and the Bronze Age

CA_JamesCA_James Posts: 296Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team

This week we chat with TROY's game director Maya Georgieva and senior game designer Milcho Vasilev about the ins and outs of the Bronze Age, multi-resource economies, and how Bronze Age battles really went down – read all about it here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/bartering-bronze-and-battles-troy-and-the-bronze-age/

Comments

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    edited November 20
    Regarding Battles,

Will it going to adapt the innovative update regarding unit count? 240 men per unit!

Where is the "truth behind the myth" regarding single entity units?

Will there be an update regarding unit collision, weight and mass? Heavier units pushing lighter units slowly.

Will there be new animations? Fighting and formations.

Will there be coastal battles? No naval, so coastal battle atleast
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 238Registered Users
    edited November 20
    am not sure yet how the new concept of light infantry in this one is distinctive from rome ii's numerous light infantry / skirmishers. perhaps its mostly the heavy type infantry that will see further development. i predict that this fancy light infantry cross-terrain perk will stay irrelevant due to almost perfect player intel.

also looks like we getting back to shogun 2 style map design philosophy with plenty ambush elements except this time with insignificant default sight ranges. its a little strange how rather than to tweak sight ranges, the terrain gets added further obstructions like high grass to make some more use of LoS mechanic. but overall its good news and hopefully will spicen things up.
    There is evidence that javelins and arrows were being used, but slings were much commonly employed as the design of the bow was still relatively basic, with these hurling stone as well as bronze projectiles.
    since projectile types were mentioned here, the way how in tw arena different projectile types had different ranges was imo the best thing about tw arena (as opposed to the lame vanilla flaming/precision/heavy shot). in arena, every shot type had a purpose, in vanilla its hard to arrange the numbers so as to warrant the usefulness of normal ammunition without incorporating missile ranges.
    ---Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20,21) must be lifted!!

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei
    Team Black Achilleez

there are billions, mindustry, factorio are perfect examples of artificial complexification done right

• Psycho_VPsycho_V Registered User Posts: 513Registered Users
    Great update, thanks
    "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, 1572 – 1631, Meditation 17)
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,081Registered Users
    edited November 22
    This is awesome!

So we will get spear units that are able to put their shields at their back and use the spear with both hands for faster movement? This is really interesting!

Also nice to read that battlemaps will have more Terrain variety for increased tactical depth.

Keep up the great work CA! I’m so hyped for this game and can’t wait to see what other creative features and mechanics you will add.
    Post edited by ArneSo on
  • FrancescoCavalliFrancescoCavalli Junior Member Posts: 21Registered Users
    Excited to see Chariots with more than 1 occupant! Have to disagree about ‘no formations to speak of’ or siege equipment - Assyrian Siege Tower with Ram and Sumerian Phalanx attached! Hope the antiquity won’t be used as an excuse for simplified Hollywood battles

• mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 771Registered Users
    This is all well and good, but if the battles are fundamentally identical to the previous entry, to the point where Attila and Britannia felt like DLCs or professionally done total conversion mods, what's the point?
    Sigmar wills it!
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,846Registered Users

Excited to see Chariots with more than 1 occupant! Have to disagree about ‘no formations to speak of’ or siege equipment - Assyrian Siege Tower with Ram and Sumerian Phalanx attached! Hope the antiquity won’t be used as an excuse for simplified Hollywood battles

I assume it was talking specifically about Mycean Greece specificly at that part.
  • Achilles13Achilles13 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Great screenshots! Im excited to see some more unit pics and get know something more about gods and the roles as well as what will be faction and heroes features ;)
  • OrderOfTheWhiteWolfOrderOfTheWhiteWolf Posts: 90Registered Users
    I’m definitely looking forward to the extra utility options for infantry combat. Having the ability to sling the shield over your back to be able hold a spear with hands for faster movement, and even a stronger offense at the cost of some melee defense sounds great. Also I’m hoping while the shield is slung over the person’s back, it would be a nice additional benefit if it added a slight defense against attacks from behind. Especially in the case when the shields are almost man sized.

Also please no more pocket ladders when it comes to sieges!
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    Will there be animations attached when placing shields on back?

Will you still be able to sling shields when already engaged in melee?

• ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Posts: 238Registered Users
    strapping the shield to the back for some improved marching speed for the compromise of missile defense seems like a tactically useless feature at first glance unless the two handed spears r somehow amazing in melee. what stops me from decimating these fools with slingers over presumably rough terrain?

it would b different if tw skirmishes opened up to some elements of surprise but i suppose line of sight rules will never change which makes such shadowing back and forth plays nigh impossible
    ---Furthermore i am of the opinion, that the current Unit Count(20,21) must be lifted!!

Team Shadowgave
    Team Cao Wei
    Team Black Achilleez

there are billions, mindustry, factorio are perfect examples of artificial complexification done right

• Achilles13Achilles13 Posts: 12Registered Users
    I do not know how wiil it work with those spearmen. Putting shields on a back to strengthen charge sounds illogicly. Using mass of the shield you can do bigger impact on your opponent. However, they just gave it as an example of unit with changable weapon. For me it would be great to give basical swordsmen or spearmem a sling, making them usefull in time of siege battle or to shot heavy infantry when it wade through mud. greetings guys