Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Comments

• HisShadowBG#8316HisShadowBG#8316 Registered Users Posts: 3,437
    How dare people don't like the things i like and criticize them.
    Haven't seen a single person who complains about we're getting another womz in our Vidya games.

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    edited November 2019

My point wasn't to bash CA for bein lazy, my point was they set the bar higher than this so asking for something relatively small like getting a more unique more functional and more lore friendly Repanse isn't unreasonable given the work they've done in the past and how it could be useful in the future.

The funny thing is you complained as much the last DLC. Both Empire mechanics not working right or Nakai's horde system not working right.

The hell makes you think CA will do anything this time?

You, of all people, have no right to call for lore friendly depictions.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • BabyYetiBabyYeti RussiaRegistered Users Posts: 376
    edited November 2019

The banner is the worst one for sure, it hurts!

To be honest, fight with giant banner in another hand is kinda ridiculous. She is not a regular standard-bearer you know.
    no, She's a Special character standard bearer, like Ludwig Schwarzhelm... oh god... i bet if CA ever does Schwarzhelm (which i admitttedly doubt), he likely will be 2h sword or sword n board!

That might be a lance with some symbolics, but banner...? Weird weapon choice for battle, knights don't use it, but this is fantasy, so okay-okay everything is possible, because of TT... I mean Lance + shield is default equipment, you need your hands for fight.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038

@Xenos7

Totally agree that it's fair, even if you think it's sub par I think it's still fair to get it and pay for the upkeep of the game as a whole, future reworks and all that. I don't think we need a Prophet and the Warlock every week.

My point wasn't to bash CA for bein lazy, my point was they set the bar higher than this so asking for something relatively small like getting a more unique more functional and more lore friendly Repanse isn't unreasonable given the work they've done in the past and how it could be useful in the future.

Well, I would have loved the banner too, but didn't really expected it. It's just the way things are.
  • KirkwaldKirkwald Registered Users Posts: 947
    Can we petition to CA to include her banner? Her banner was a big part of her very character.
    I mean CA fixed sartosan militia because we complained right?
    Maybe this time CA might listen to us.
  • SeanJeanquoi#3490SeanJeanquoi#3490 Registered Users Posts: 3,416
    Crossil said:

The funny thing is you complained as much the last DLC. Both Empire mechanics not working right or Nakai's horde system not working right.

The hell makes you think CA will do anything at this point?

I've been pro lore all along and I've told you as much, im just in favour of bending the rules for gameplay, just like CA is (Snikch, Kroak, Tiktaq'to, Nakai, etc). I don't want these characters to fundamentally change or anything, I just wanna have them integrate as best they can into the game in a way that offers the most variety and interesting options for the players.

In the case of Repanse, gameplay and lore both align: it'd be better for the game if she was more like in the lore with some hybrid options, a banner etc.

Do I think they'll do anything? Hopefully once they're done with the faction reworks yeah. Hordes are defo getting improved in the future, if they make a banner character in the future they could retroactively fix Repanse, the Empire mechanics could be further built on later etc.

Is this a sure fire thing? No, but I want CA to know our issues with their content and throwing hissy fits isn't the way we do that. Wallowing in disappointment does nothing for us.
    edited November 2019
    Kirkwald said:

Can we petition to CA to include her banner? Her banner was a big part of her very character.

Sartosan Militia was a kitbash unit that was exhanged for 2 kitbash units.

Banners just don't exist. Not the animation for carrying it.
    @Frank9945671 @TheGuardianOfMetal

They could actually give her and Ludwig a Lance with the banner attached to it, which they hold up while stationary and in melee but then lower to use when charging.

This could use assets already in the game, would this be a decent compromise?
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,759
    I wholly agree.

Repanse is a good LL choice for Bretonnia, but the LL should've been for Empire, and she shouldn't be a melee tank. A buff lord would fit.

Petty and toxic criticisms are easy for CA to ignore. Valid ones need to be pushed to the fore.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    Kirkwald said:

I'd sign that petition, but we'd have to get Reddit on board and/or try to inform some of the YouTubers if we were to try something like that.

Crossil said:

The hell makes you think CA will do anything at this point?

I've been pro lore all along and I've told you as much, im just in favour of bending the rules for gameplay, just like CA is (Snikch, Kroak, Tiktaq'to, Nakai, etc). I don't want these characters to fundamentally change or anything, I just wanna have them integrate as best they can into the game in a way that offers the most variety and interesting options for the players.

In the case of Repanse, gameplay and lore both align: it'd be better for the game if she was more like in the lore with some hybrid options, a banner etc.

Do I think they'll do anything? Hopefully once they're done with the faction reworks yeah. Hordes are defo getting improved in the future, if they make a banner character in the future they could retroactively fix Repanse, the Empire mechanics could be further built on later etc.

Is this a sure fire thing? No, but I want CA to know our issues with their content and throwing hissy fits isn't the way we do that. Wallowing in disappointment does nothing for us.
    You're pro lore as a hunter is pro dear. Not because it's alive but because he wants to tear it apart and take what he wants.

Nakai's character directly clashes with how he is depicted in the game. Snikch's does also. "integrate as best they can" is what you care about, with it violating the lore not mattering to you at all.

I just say that you say how CA set a high bar? You yourself note things that just don't work across two release and if we went back there are countless things that don't work, what bar are you talking about?
  • fireatwill4fireatwill4 Registered Users Posts: 205
    I'm sure the sword will get toned down, as for banners, well that's another issue altogether.
  • TheGuardianOfMetal#3661TheGuardianOfMetal#3661 Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 14,701

To be honest, fight with giant banner in another hand is kinda ridiculous. She is not a regular standard-bearer you know.
    no, She's a Special character standard bearer, like Ludwig Schwarzhelm... oh god... i bet if CA ever does Schwarzhelm (which i admitttedly doubt), he likely will be 2h sword or sword n board!

That might be a lance with some symbolics, but banner...? Weird weapon choice for battle, knights don't use it, but this is fantasy, so okay-okay everything is possible, because of TT... I mean Lance + shield is default equipment, you need your hands for fight.
    Ludwig Schwarzhelm is Karl Franz' Bodyguard and the Emperor's Champion. And as such he carries the Emperor's Banner into Battle.

Also, Valkia took her last breath in the Old World ontop of said Banner, since they impaled each other when she charged Schwarzhelm with her spear.

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    @Crossil

You make me out to be so evil, like changing things for adaptation is unreasonable when converting a game into a different medium.

You're somewhat right but regardless, this is off topic and I don't want to derail the thread.

@Crossil

You make me out to be so evil, like changing things for adaptation is unreasonable when converting a game into a different medium.

You're somewhat right but regardless, this is off topic and I don't want to derail the thread.

Then let me just make a final comment. There's a difference between necessity and just going off the rails when there are routes to take. I think that's where the line is between adaptation and just not respecting the source material.
  • BabyYetiBabyYeti RussiaRegistered Users Posts: 376

@Frank9945671 @TheGuardianOfMetal

They could actually give her and Ludwig a Lance with the banner attached to it, which they hold up while stationary and in melee but then lower to use when charging.

This could use assets already in the game, would this be a decent compromise?

I was joking actually, I don't care about banner and I'm okay with Repanse model. I welcome any new content. But you are right: lance with attached banner to it and shield will be most realistic representation of knight, but nevermind.

Haven't seen a single person who complains about we're getting another womz in our Vidya games.

I've seen quite a few misogynistic comments and there have been quite a few comments deleted because of it. It's not as bad as it has been and certainly not everyone irked by Joan is under that banner, but her being a woman isn't an uncommon part of the criticism.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    edited November 2019
    @Crossil

Then by those constraints I'd say that Snikch was necessity because he's so important and we don't know anything about the leader of Eshen (also it's appropriate that the head of the assassin's is never seen and only works through proxy's)

And I'd say that Nakai was 'off the rails'.

I'm ok with that and think it got us more good content and a unique playthrough, even if they botched it a bit.

If we can agree to that I'll be happy.
  • Cortes31#6909Cortes31#6909 Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    @SeanJeanquoi

We can not have nice things because some people are simply wayyy too obsessed with certain names.
    It does not matter who the FLC for Bretonnia is. Only a starting position outside of Bretonnia (or part of the Vortex in this case) matters.
    It does not matter who the LL for the LP are. Only that it is Skaven VS Dark Elves matters.

Yes, I do have my preferences (wanted Throt VS Rakarth because of beast-theme) but in the end of the day Skaven VS Dark Elves is more important to make room for HE VS GS.
  • HisShadowBG#8316HisShadowBG#8316 Registered Users Posts: 3,437

I've seen quite a few misogynistic comments and there have been quite a few comments deleted because of it. It's not as bad as it has been and certainly not everyone irked by Joan is under that banner, but her being a woman isn't an uncommon part of the criticism.
    Show one

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001

Show one
    Maedrethnir + Aranessa = "Mannish Face"
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,823

Show one
    There was one that I saw that was vaguely sort of maybe like that if you stretch, but it was more against people like OP than women in general.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Sephlock said:

Show one
    There was one that I saw that was vaguely sort of maybe like that if you stretch, but it was more against people like OP than women in general.
    Find any threat featuring Cylostra or Aranessa and the former will be called a whale and the latter be called out for lack of feminity. It's really not hard to find and it takes selective memory to forget about this in the first place.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231

And YET... Banners bearers where a real thing used by real armies in real life. There are songs about banners staying firm having not fallen. There are famous photos of banners being erected in war time. WHY NOT A FANTASY HERO BANNER BEARER.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,481
    Oh look another thread complaining about Repanse...

A FLC lord that seems well made.
    @Tennisgolfboll

Did you even read my OP? I live Repanse and if her campaigns good I'll be playing her first.

Show one
    This was after a string of misogynistic comments.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/254906/why-repanse-instead-of-bohemond-and-tancred/p1

No one is saying it's the predominant type of argument against Repanse. The line of "Why are we getting a woman over a man" with clear implications is certainly prevalent.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455
    Why has this not been closed yet... There's no way a thread like this will go anywhere good
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231

Show one
    This was after a string of misogynistic comments.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/254906/why-repanse-instead-of-bohemond-and-tancred/p1

No one is saying it's the predominant type of argument against Repanse. The line of "Why are we getting a woman over a man" with clear implications is certainly prevalent.
    Being the one who made those comments. I can assure you they where not misogynistic, they where piscine.
This discussion has been closed.