Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Comments

• SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,823

Sephlock said:

How dare people don't like the things i like and criticize them.
    Haven't seen a single person who complains about we're getting another womz in our Vidya games.

I've seen quite a few misogynistic comments and there have been quite a few comments deleted because of it. It's not as bad as it has been and certainly not everyone irked by Joan is under that banner, but her being a woman isn't an uncommon part of the criticism.
    Show one
    There was one that I saw that was vaguely sort of maybe like that if you stretch, but it was more against people like OP than women in general.
    Find any threat featuring Cylostra or Aranessa and the former will be called a whale and the latter be called out for lack of feminity. It's really not hard to find and it takes selective memory to forget about this in the first place.
    Both of those are accurate though...

• BabyYetiBabyYeti RussiaRegistered Users Posts: 376
    OdTengri said:

The banner is the worst one for sure, it hurts!

To be honest, fight with giant banner in another hand is kinda ridiculous. She is not a regular standard-bearer you know.
    no, She's a Special character standard bearer, like Ludwig Schwarzhelm... oh god... i bet if CA ever does Schwarzhelm (which i admitttedly doubt), he likely will be 2h sword or sword n board!

That might be a lance with some symbolics, but banner...? Weird weapon choice for battle, knights don't use it, but this is fantasy, so okay-okay everything is possible, because of TT... I mean Lance + shield is default equipment, you need your hands for fight.
    And YET... Banners bearers where a real thing used by real armies in real life. There are songs about banners staying firm having not fallen. There are famous photos of banners being erected in war time. WHY NOT A FANTASY HERO BANNER BEARER.
    I didn't say that they never existed, lol
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Sephlock said:

Sephlock said:

Haven't seen a single person who complains about we're getting another womz in our Vidya games.

I've seen quite a few misogynistic comments and there have been quite a few comments deleted because of it. It's not as bad as it has been and certainly not everyone irked by Joan is under that banner, but her being a woman isn't an uncommon part of the criticism.
    Show one
    There was one that I saw that was vaguely sort of maybe like that if you stretch, but it was more against people like OP than women in general.
    Find any threat featuring Cylostra or Aranessa and the former will be called a whale and the latter be called out for lack of feminity. It's really not hard to find and it takes selective memory to forget about this in the first place.

It's funny how almost all female characters are judged by how they measure up to some ideal of prettiness. Witch Elves are complained about because they have defined muscles, Damsels are complained about because they don't wear tons of makeup into battle, Cylostra is complained about because she's fat (although that's something that supports a singing career) and Aranessa is complained about because a hands-on pirate queen isn't so overly concerned about her sex appeal.

Why does that stuff matter in the first place?
  • HisShadowBG#8316HisShadowBG#8316 Registered Users Posts: 3,437

Sephlock said:

Show one
    That's is not the same as not wanting a character just cause she is a woman. That is disliking a design of a character being fat or masculine also he claimed that it was so in the particular case which clearly was not

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • SeanJeanquoi#3490SeanJeanquoi#3490 Registered Users Posts: 3,416
    @Sephlock @Ephraim_Dalton @Vanilla_Gorilla

You can't call it out directly, he's baiting you. Most of those kinds of comments get deleted and then if you do call someone specific out they can just deny it and act like your crazy (many people who talk like that don't realise they're talking like that).

It exists, it's not a well kept secret of the gaming community or anything, this was just one of the many bad critisizms leavied at Repanse.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,455

You can't call it out directly, he's baiting you. Most of those kinds of comments get deleted and then if you do call someone specific out they can just deny it and act like your crazy (many people who talk like that don't realise they're talking like that).

It exists, it's not a well kept secret of the gaming community or anything, this was just one of the many bad critisizms leavied at Repanse.

Aaaah, and here we have it. "You don't know what you say or why you say it. Only I do. Allow me to explain how I know what you're saying better than you". It was bound to happen eventually.
    The inferior races of this world will be crushed one by one, as our armies move from shore to shore, and hill to hill, and city to city-- and each of their cries will be as music to our ears, for we are the Druchii.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,759

Every single time a female LL is included her looks are discussed, meanwhile there are very few to no comments for make LL looks.

The reality is Repanse has problems, not least of which is she's an FLC LL for a race which didn't need one. The genuine problems with Repanse are easily ignored if people choose to discuss the fact that it's a female LL.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,823
    edited November 2019

Every single time a female LL is included her looks are discussed, meanwhile there are very few to no comments for make LL looks.

The reality is Repanse has problems, not least of which is she's an FLC LL for a race which didn't need one. The genuine problems with Repanse are easily ignored if people choose to discuss the fact that it's a female LL.
    You don’t remember people complaining about the pink in the leaked image of malus? Convenient.

Also, if they made the male characters that jarringly ugly people would comment on why we have chaos spawn LL outside of WoC or WH3.

Also does no one else remember the complaints about Alberic and his helmet?
  • TheGuardianOfMetal#3661TheGuardianOfMetal#3661 Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 14,701

Sephlock said:

Sephlock said:

Show one

It's funny how almost all female characters are judged by how they measure up to some ideal of prettiness. Witch Elves are complained about because they have defined muscles, Damsels are complained about because they don't wear tons of makeup into battle, Cylostra is complained about because she's fat (although that's something that supports a singing career) and Aranessa is complained about because a hands-on pirate queen isn't so overly concerned about her sex appeal.

Damsels aren't complaint about because they don't wear tons of Make up but because they look like ~60 years+

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,481

@Tennisgolfboll

Did you even read my OP? I live Repanse and if her campaigns good I'll be playing her first.

Yeah i read and tbh you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Ghal maraz should be better that i agree with but that has nothing to do with Repanse, her item seems fine.
    @OdTengri

Again, I'm not calling anyone out individually but yeah, alot of people talk alot of Sh*t without realising why, I love how some people try to act like everyone in the world has 150 IQ and they all understand the subtle underpinnings of every inflection they make. No. They don't.

One of the reasons the gaming community gets into alot of trouble about this kind of thing isn't necessary because they're misogynist or anything, it's more because they're a bunch of guys talking amongst themselves without realising they're slagging off a bunch of other groups. That's why the F word (not that one) and the N word and things are quite common online in gaming spaces. It's not necessary because they hate X group it's because they rarely interact with X group and therefore don't realise the issues with how they talk and act.

I don't see how that's unreasonable.
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001

Sephlock said:

Sephlock said:

Show one

Damsels aren't complaint about because they don't wear tons of Make up but because they look like ~60 years+

OK, I can only presume you avert your eyes whenever you meet a woman over 30 because that's definitely not what a 60 year old woman looks like.
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered Users Posts: 1,231
    My problem is:
    1 - Besides hairstyle she looks nothing like tt model. Didn't even bother to add feathers to her horse.
    2 - She plays nothing like her tt counterpart. Bretonnia already has two melee lords, and if they made her more of a volkmar style buff machine it would be more interesting. And before you say that she's anti infantry, tell me, when you are using melee lords against infantry, do you really care about their attack bonus?Tyrion and Archaon don't have anti infantry, but they still destroy all oposition. Maybe she's got ultra interesting campaign playstyle, but still it's a missed oportunity.
    @TheGuardianOfMetal

Can you not see his larger point though? I agree the Damsel comment was a bit off but people do genuinely complain about stuff like the witch elves having a defined chest, not because it looks bad but because they don't like muscles on their woman.

Like I've been saying this whole time, there is a fine line between complaining about weird dodgy models and complaining they aren't good enough gap material.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726
    Most of the complaints on the women to me might as well be translated to: Why isn't just a Victoria's Secret model. But allowed to have the most butt ass looking male peasants. Cause that's realistic.........
  • TheGuardianOfMetal#3661TheGuardianOfMetal#3661 Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 14,701

Sephlock said:

Sephlock said:

Show one

OK, I can only presume you avert your eyes whenever you meet a woman over 30 because that's definitely not what a 60 year old woman looks like.
    I've seen better looking 50 year olds... and that doesn't look like 30.

Damsels are said to be nearly eternally young before they retreat into Athel Loren...
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    @Sephlock

That's not what he's saying. Again, you need to define between people complaining about bad of bland models and people complaining that the woman don't look hot enough to meet the standard they want them.

Alberic wasn't complained about because he's ugly, it's because he's generic. Very few people complain about the male characters unless there is something objectively wrong with their model or they don't look archetypical enough.

For the woman this is a different story.
    @TheGuardianOfMetal

Yup and I agree like I said, I wasn't saying the damsels are fine. Take another look at what I said.

@TheGuardianOfMetal

Yup and I agree like I said, I wasn't saying the damsels are fine. Take another look at what I said.

the fact that i wasn't talking abotu the rest should actually signlar that i at least somewhat agree with it.

Though i think the big issue with the Witch Elves is/was, that the stomach muscles feel a bit over defined combined with the lack of muscles on the rest of hte model, making them stick out quite a bit. Maybe if they had been more subdued it would've worked better

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726

@TheGuardianOfMetal

the fact that i wasn't talking abotu the rest should actually signlar that i at least somewhat agree with it.

Though i think the big issue with the Witch Elves is/was, that the stomach muscles feel a bit over defined combined with the lack of muscles on the rest of hte model, making them stick out quite a bit. Maybe if they had been more subdued it would've worked better
    Bet you didn't look at all the half naked norscan models to make these same levels of complaints. Lol
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927

One of the reasons the gaming community gets into alot of trouble about this kind of thing isn't necessary because they're misogynist or anything, it's more because they're a bunch of guys talking amongst themselves without realising they're slagging off a bunch of other groups. That's why the F word (not that one) and the N word and things are quite common online in gaming spaces. It's not necessary because they hate X group it's because they rarely interact with X group and therefore don't realise the issues with how they talk and act.

I don't see how that's unreasonable.

I do because words can have multiple meanings. To assume they use words as derogatory terms rather than looking at the context of it is where division arises. The fact that they have no genuine ill will to others and use terms to denote something entirely different(rage) is what shows me that the only ones giving those words those specific meanings are the outsiders, not the gamers. Gamers get into a lot of trouble because people outside of it don't give them any benefit of the doubt and judge them by cultural standards outside of the gaming culture and that, to me, is why people who rant about inclusiveness and understanding are quite often the most judgemental people of all.

And you do it too. You say they don't know what they do but I say you're just interpreting it the way that fits with you best.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
    Nyxilis said:

@TheGuardianOfMetal

Bet you didn't look at all the half naked norscan models to make these same levels of complaints. Lol
    there is a certain difference between the overmuscled Barbarian trope, where the whole dude is muscled and the Witch Elves where there are no muscles except for the incredibly ripped Stomach

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • VictuzVictuz Sao Paulo, BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 445
    Why are you people obsessed for every human male or female (mostly) to be a top-model?

Beauty is only skin deep.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,481
    Didnt think the OP was good. But the thread has become far worse. It is all over the place and nothing interesting in it. Im out.
  • KirkwaldKirkwald Registered Users Posts: 947

Nyxilis said:

@TheGuardianOfMetal

there is a certain difference between the overmuscled Barbarian trope, where the whole dude is muscled and the Witch Elves where there are no muscles except for the incredibly ripped Stomach

See here, the difference is that the Norscan models actually look hunky and modeled well.

Meanwhile the witch elves look downright bad. Case in point, compare them to the sisters of slaughter or the death hag that actually have good models.

Also, the damsel is literally the worst female model in the game, no only because it's obviously low poly, CA went out of their way to make them look ugly as hell when they're supposed to be eternally youthful.

I'm just glad that Repanse managed to avoid the getting hit by the ugly hammer because god damn she's pretty.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231
    Victuz said:

Why are you people obsessed for every human male or female (mostly) to be a top-model?

Beauty is only skin deep.

You should join the art world... we really do see the world differently after a while and our concept of beauty changes too.
  • HisShadowBG#8316HisShadowBG#8316 Registered Users Posts: 3,437
    edited November 2019
    Most of the complaints on the women to me might as well be translated to: Why isn't just a Victoria's Secret model. But allowed to have the most butt ass looking male peasants. Cause that's realistic.........

Grail Damsels are completely outside the laws of Bretonnia and equally outside its social customs. No one would dare to criticise one, even behind her back. They are all beautiful, appearing young for many years before suddenly withdrawing to the Forest of Loren, where most assume that they die. Many go about with their hair uncovered, and not a few are notorious for their promiscuity, though no tales of a Grail Damsel giving birth are known.

While the Nobles rule and the Burghers trade, the Peasants toil. They are farmers, labourers, herdsman and hunters. In times of war, many fight and die for the Empire and Bretonnia. Some peasants seek a better life in one of the major cities, but many find themselves simply joining the ranks of urban beggars on the verge of starvation

Huehuehue
    Post edited by HisShadowBG#8316 on

She had fought beside Aenarion in the days of her youth, killing daemons, slaughtering the enemies of her people with wild abandon. She had cast spells and brewed poisons and worked out battle strategies for his armies. She had used her gift of visions to grant the elves victories innumerable.

The so-called high elves had forgotten that now, preferring to cast her as the villain in the simple-minded morality plays they so enjoyed since her son had sundered the realm. They had no idea what it had cost to win those battles back when all thought the world was ending, or the price she had paid for victory.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231
    Kirkwald said:

But I digress, let's instead talk on why it's such a great tragedy that our maiden Repanse doesn't have her banner.

I agree probably the biggest tragedy of the whole Repanse FLC... Like if your gonna do her, despite some obvious reasons why not (like being dead for 500 years) do her right. I want a BIG BEAUTIFUL BANNER common CA you can do it BUILD ME A BIG BEAUTIFUL BANNER, and I want my Magic Resistance.

That screams magic resistance or lower enemy magic recharge rate, maybe both.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038

Sephlock said:

Sephlock said:

Show one

This discussion has been closed.