Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Daemons of Chaos

YitterbumYitterbum Registered Users Posts: 412
First off, this is fan made to a certain degree. There were aspects to the 8th edition Daemons of Chaos army list that got under my skin that I wanted to fix. For instance:
  1. How restricted the Slaanesh content was (i.e. no legendary lord or lord option.)
  2. How bland and non-descriptive certain mounts and unit names were compared to others (i.e. the steed of Slaanesh applying to both the bipedal and snake-like mounts, the exalted seeker chariot, beasts of Nurgle, etc.)
  3. How lacking the marks were in terms of unit variety.
The first iitem was a rather easy to handle. Throw in the N'Kari and the Keeper of Secrets. Now Slaanesh has leadership represented in the Daemons of Chaos army list.

The second item was easy as well. Most of the daemon units had multiple names given to them in lore. It was just a matter of applying a unique one to the original unit. (i.e. Flesh Lickers = bi-pedal steeds of Slaanesh, Degraded Ones = snake-like steeds of Slaanesh, Shrieking Shandredhan = exalted seeker chariot, Slime Hounds = beasts of Nurgle.) The nice thing about renaming the exalted seeker chariot is that it frees up "exalted" to be used like "blessed" for the Lizardmen. Complete a small mission on the campaign map to receive "exalted" version of a daemon unit with better stats.

The third item was a slightly more difficult to tackle, since it required combing through older content, lore, and existing assets.
  • The Blood Chariot (Chariot of Khorne), Pleasureseekers, Changebringers, Plague Chariot (Chariot of Nurgle), and Undivided Herald come from the Storm of Chaos supplement. There are a couple of others to be chosen from this list, but many of them were redundant when compared to the current 8th edition roster.
  • Bloodbeasts, Firewyrms, and Plaguebeasts are variants of chaos spawn like the Fiends of Slaanesh that are currently in the roster.
  • Flesh Lickers were made their own unit, since Slaanesh didn't have their own hound-like unit (Khorne has Flesh Hounds, Nurgle has Plague Toads, and Tzeentch has Screamers.)
  • Blue Horrors seem like a nice addition from the lore considering that Pink Horrors will produce two of them when they die. It will help keep a Tzeentch themed front line from buckling too quickly when they can have two squads of Blue Horrors with half the stats of a Pink Horror spawn to reinforce after a squad of Pink Horrors die.

Legendary Lords:
  • Be'lakor (Undivided)
  • Skarbrand (Khorne)
  • Kairos (Tzeentch)
  • Ku'gath (Nurgle)
  • N'Kari (Slaanesh)
Lords:
  • Daemon Prince (Undivided, Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, or Slaanesh)
  • Bloodthirster (Khorne)
  • Lord of Change (Tzeentch)
  • Great Unclean One (Nurgle)
  • Keeper of Secrets (Slaanesh)
Heroes:
  • Heralds (Undivided, Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, or Slaanesh)
Lores of Magic:
  • Be'lakor had his own unique lore called Master of the Shadows (Undivided)
  • Tzeentch, Metal (Tzeentch)
  • Nurgle, Death (Nurgle)
  • Slaanesh, Shadows (Slaanesh)
Mounts:
  • (Undivided has access to one mount from each mark)
  • Juggernaut, Blood Throne (Khorne)
  • Disc, Burning Chariot (Tzeentch)
  • Palanquin, Rot Fly, Chariot of Nurgle (Nurgle)
  • Flesh Licker, Degraded One, Seeker Chariot, Shrieking Shandredhan (Slaanesh)
Infantry:
  • Bloodletters (Khorne)
  • Blue Horrors (Tzeentch)
  • Pink Horrors (Tzeentch)
  • Flamers (Tzeentch)
  • Plaguebearers (Nurgle)
  • Daemonettes (Slaanesh)
Cavalry:
  • Bloodcrushers (Khorne)
  • Pox Riders (Nurgle)
  • Seekers (Slaanesh)
  • Pleasureseekers (Slaanesh) (Daemonettes mounted on Degraded Ones)
Chariots:
  • Blood Chariot (Khorne) (Chariot of Khorne drawn by one or two Juggernauts)
  • Plague Chariot (Nurgle) (Chariot of Nurgle drawn by one or two Slime Hounds)
  • Seeker Chariot (Slaanesh)
  • Hellflayer (Slaanesh)
  • Shrieking Shandredhan (Slaanesh) (Your exalted Seeker Chariot)
Monsters and Beasts:
  • Flesh Hounds (Khorne)
  • Bloodbeasts (Khorne)
  • Firewyrms (Tzeentch)
  • Plague Toads (Nurgle)
  • Slime Hounds (Nurgle) (Your beasts of Nurgle)
  • Plaguebeasts (Nurgle)
  • Flesh Lickers (Slaanesh) (Your steeds of Slaanesh)
  • Fiends (Slaanesh)
Flying Monsters, Cavalry, and Chariots:
  • Furies (Undivided)
  • Plague Drones (Nurgle)
  • Screamers (Tzeentch)
  • Changebringers (Tzeentch) (Flamers mounted on discs of Tzeentch)
  • Burning Chariot (Tzeentch)
Artillery:
  • Soul Grinder (Undivided and with a different model to make it not look like it came straight out of 40k)
  • Skull Cannon (Khorne)

Comments

• Beast_of_Guanyin#8747Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 Registered Users Posts: 42,756
    Pretty solid list. The only thing I question is the Grinder. I know it has a cannon but i still for the life of me can't see it. Maybe if it was a rock hurler instead?

Anyway DoC have a ridiculously good list. They'll compete for best roster in the entire game for sure..
    I am The Beast of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Registered Users Posts: 1,005
    Not a fan of the soulgrinder look to be honest, it's too 40k-ish.
  • kamenhero25kamenhero25 Registered Users Posts: 17
    The only difficult thing with this list is picking which two legendary lords come in the base game and which three are DLC. Be'lakor would be good so there's an undivided option to start, but after that it's so hard to pick one.
  • Aman3712Aman3712 Registered Users Posts: 669
    I'd also include the Slaughterbrute and Mutalith Vortex Beast for Khorne and Tzeench, too
    Aman3712 said:

I'd also include the Slaughterbrute and Mutalith Vortex Beast for Khorne and Tzeench, too

WoC units.
    I am The Beast of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Registered Users Posts: 6,985
    edited November 2019
    Slaanesh has atcually two LLs with models, you just seem to ignore them in favor of a Greater Daemon ;)
    Masque

Azazel

The problem with you naming stuff like whatever, is that it makes things rather difficult to follow. For example
    https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Firewyrm_of_Tzeentch
    And when I read "Slimehound", I really do not imagine something like the actual Beasts of Nurgle

Actually missing from the list, or maybe renamed and I overread that and can't find it under the unknown new name, would be an Exalted Flamer

While you have listed Pox Riders

and Plague Drones

you could also fit in the "old" SoC Plague Riders (on Beasts of Nurgle).

You could also split Bloodletters in regular, with Hellblade (anti infantry) and maybe with Axes into two handed weapon.

Pretty solid list. The only thing I question is the Grinder. I know it has a cannon but i still for the life of me can't see it. Maybe if it was a rock hurler instead?

Maybe the Nurgle variant from Forgeworld (Plague Hulk) helps you.

On the original, maybe just think "Lazerbeam eyes"

and yeah, I still hate the Soulgrinder design too.

------Red Dox
    Post edited by Red_Dox#2328 on
  • YitterbumYitterbum Registered Users Posts: 412
    @Red_Dox
    The reason behind leaving the exalted flamer out is that it would give Tzeentch 2 heroes compared to the other marks' 1. I wanted to keep them relatively even in that regard. The same goes for N'Kari's inclusion compared to Azazel and the Masque. Each mark gets their own LL equivalent greater daemon, while undivided gets a LL daemon prince.

Regarding the naming, yeah I went overboard with the beasts of Nurgle. That being said, it really got irritating with steeds of Slaanesh trying to differentiate the two when they both use the same name. I also wanted to avoid having "exalted" in a unit's name, so that you could gain an "exalted" version of a daemon unit through campaign unlocks.

• DEM0N_LLAMA#6201DEM0N_LLAMA#6201 Registered Users Posts: 628

The only difficult thing with this list is picking which two legendary lords come in the base game and which three are DLC. Be'lakor would be good so there's an undivided option to start, but after that it's so hard to pick one.

I could see that.

N'Kari is gonna be in the base game just for the fact that they have been mentioned several times in the Vortex campaign.
    Be'lakor has no units attached to him at all so unless he is FLC he makes sense for him to be in base.

Kairos would the first DLC. Hardest to make since he has two heads an all. Could then also add a few extra range option for deamons.
    Skarbrand would the FLC. Khorne has very few units and few very important that feel would already be in the game. Skarbrand is also a easier reskin.

Ku'gath would come in as second round of LP for game 3 races and has the most units that Daemons can live without.

Personally I rather see N'kair and Skarbrand in the base game and Karios as DLC with Ku'gath as the FLC since this would work with the rivalry if CA does anything with them.

Then Be'lakor as the 2 LP Lord and then he comes with Daemons from other faction like Snikch did this LP with Skrye units.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,390
    @Yitterbum This is a pretty cool list you've put together. I always wondered how CA might stretch it out given, how compared to many other TT rosters, there's fewer unit options. Glad to see the added variety from SoC, and differentiation between some of it's more ambiguous beasties.
  • dodge33cymru#1936dodge33cymru#1936 Registered Users Posts: 3,585
    Personally I’m hoping they combine the daemons with the chaos warriors and create 4 divided ‘races’, with the possibility to unite them all obviously. Would open up more stories and characters and really do the Liber Chaotica justice (just as the Tamurkhan story started to).
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    It's an extremely expensive list in terms of Charlemagnes. Everything has a unique model. I can't really see it being a single race of four.
    @Red_Dox That's better. Now just fantasy up the gun a little and completely change the legs so they look like they belong in fantasy and not from a 40k defiler.

Half crab machine half Demon is a good concept. Using the model for 40k and WHFB not so much.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,390

@Red_Dox That's better. Now just fantasy up the gun a little and completely change the legs so they look like they belong in fantasy and not from a 40k defiler.

Half crab machine half Demon is a good concept. Using the model for 40k and WHFB not so much.

The big problem with the Soul Grinder is it's got all these mechanical components like tubes, pistons and gears on it. If it was basically an exoskeleton made of metal and daemonically powered like Khorne juggernauts. It'd be pretty fitting.
  • #324448#324448 Registered Users Posts: 2,157
    Honestly Soul Grinders as a concept just seem boring and unfitting to me. I know it'd be difficult to make but I'd rather see 4 unique Daemonic monsters for each of the gods.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Registered Users Posts: 6,985

http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/2013/11/completed-soul-grinder-conversion-from.html
    https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/393559.page

Honestly Soul Grinders as a concept just seem boring and unfitting to me. I know it'd be difficult to make but I'd rather see 4 unique Daemonic monsters for each of the gods.

Well, Soulgrinders could get pimped by CA.
    http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/2013/11/completed-soul-grinder-conversion-from.html
    https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/393559.page
    even if I doubt we get much done here, since GW sells that stuff still.

It might also be noteworthy that the things *might* look better in action then just as a picture/miniature.
    For those that do not know, the "leg part" of the Soulgrinder is just a complete copy from the 40k Defiler who came before.

And even back then playing 40k Chaos, I was no fan of that thing either since it just looked not good. But, I had to admit that when Dawn of War put those things in action, they looked better with their crab-like moves.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlOBcYGQB7A

------Red Dox
    Wyvax said:

The big problem with the Soul Grinder is it's got all these mechanical components like tubes, pistons and gears on it. If it was basically an exoskeleton made of metal and daemonically powered like Khorne juggernauts. It'd be pretty fitting.
    That would be cool.