Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Eshin contracts and other dlc mechanics for Dogs of war

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Tagged:

Comments

• 10101010 Registered Users Posts: 246

I'm not the biggest fan of dogs of war, to me they seem to much of just a collection of units from other factions but I know that for a lot of people it's top of their wishlist for the trilogy. One of the things that has been discussed alot is how they'd work, as they're not empire builders or a destructive hoard. But with every new DLC I can't help but notice how newly introduced mechanics could apply really well, almost so well its as if they're used as tests for a dogs of war faction, sort of how I imagine pirate coves were used to test under cities.

Before I start, I know that there are no more faction dlcs coming for WH2, but seeing as how DOW includes game 3 factions like ogres its not super surprising they wouldn't come for game 2, so I'd see them as a WH3 DLC or preorder bonus.

MECHANICS:

Infamy- VC
    So first one that made me think of this was the infamy mechanic for Vampire Coast, this would work really well for a mercenary army, and would provide your faction leader, such as Borgio with some sort of end goal.

Emperor’s Mandate - Empire
    A mechanic where your progress in fulfilling a contract is tracked by your employer leading to increased funding and particular units with increased success. Could also link to recruitable units from the employer faction, so dwarf warriors if you take a contract from them, or high elf troops from Ulthuan etc.

Wulfhart’s Hunters - Empire
    A fun, loreful way of tracking down famous mercenary heroes or companies, such as Asarnil The Dragonlord or the giants of albion, and recruiting them completing special missions sounds perfect for dogs of war.

Defence of the Great Plan - Lizardmen
    Although not perfect, this seems to really fit the dogs of war. They don't occupy and run cities, but they are hired by factions to capture cities for them. So if you could get hired by the empire for example and you take a city, it will be immediately gifted to the empire, for which you will get payment and benefits in a similar fashion to Nakai and his vassals.

Nakai's Horde mechanics - Lizardmen
    In his campaign only Nakai’s personal horde can unlock units and his other hordes recruit unit types Nakai has unlocked using the Global Recruitment option. This seems to make sense for the dogs of war. Borgio the besieger, for example, may send off a pay master with some splinter forces to create another army, but the faction resolves around him.

then with this new dlc we see Greater Clan Contracts on the steam page this is described as:

'Skavendom’s unseen leaders are forever seeking to disrupt and backstab each other on the Council of Thirteen. When a problem arises that needs serious attention, the Greater Clans approach Clan Eshin to do their dirty work. These Clan Contracts allow Clan Eshin to receive money, food and increased reputation with the issuing clans, thus granting bonuses and reducing the cost of the Greater Clans’ specialized units.'

this seems like the core mechanic for a dogs of war faction, possibly with more complexity, something CA would look into based on feedback from this dlc. So theres an open contract page, and you different recieve bonuses and maybe even units based on your reputation with the other factions, and maybe negative reputation if you constantly act against them.

I could be wrong, and if I am it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, but I think CA could adapt all of these mechanics to create a lore friendly and fun dogs of war faction. And one with the appeal where it could be different on multiple playthroughs. Focus on empire contracts, or high elf contracts, or even dark elf contracts, itd be very sandboxy.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it probably wouldn't be too expensive for them. As said previously they use mostly just reskinned units from other factions. Maybe just pikemen and a couple of other new animations required along side the reskins. Sounds pretty good for a preorder faction for game 3

+ 1
  • Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,888
    Completely agree, OP. Bring us Dogs of War, CA.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Poenix21Poenix21 Registered Users Posts: 120
    This +2

First off, no race dlc until pre-order so it isn't impossible that DoW are a game 2 race.

Second is that the current faction Southern realms got a change in the Vortex.
    Suedenburg was an empire faction but got changed to southern realms recently.

It would be pretty weird to update this faction if there wasn't anything planned for it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Registered Users Posts: 16,115
    Agree on it all but the Defenders of the Great Plan part. The idea that Borgio wouldn't lead an ever expansive empire if he could is a bit narrow minded just because he /didn't/. He's already the Prince of Miragliano.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • DaGangster#8697DaGangster#8697 Registered Users Posts: 1,934
    Sounds perfect to me, but only if it comes with the hiring mercenaries (like from pervious total wars) feature, which I think would fit this game so perfectly. They would of course have many bonuses for the before mentioned units, compared to other factions.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • Michael4537Michael4537 Registered Users Posts: 2,377
    +1

A couple of my thoughts: there should be on option to fill the mission or not. Say I am hired by the Empire to take a city, they supply me with different units and such, but I also really want the city. I get my units, and although my "infamy" or Yelp rating may take a hit, I get the city and some Empire units. It'd allow for a more interesting campaign where you can play a variety of mercenary styles.

I do love the idea of getting paid to just go sack/take/raze an enemy settlement. Or maybe help defend a city. It would certainly be a challenge for CA implement well, but I imagine it would be an incredibly fun campaign.
  • Gollummyprecious#7609Gollummyprecious#7609 Registered Users Posts: 484

I'm not the biggest fan of dogs of war, to me they seem to much of just a collection of units from other factions but I know that for a lot of people it's top of their wishlist for the trilogy. One of the things that has been discussed alot is how they'd work, as they're not empire builders or a destructive hoard. But with every new DLC I can't help but notice how newly introduced mechanics could apply really well, almost so well its as if they're used as tests for a dogs of war faction, sort of how I imagine pirate coves were used to test under cities.

Before I start, I know that there are no more faction dlcs coming for WH2, but seeing as how DOW includes game 3 factions like ogres its not super surprising they wouldn't come for game 2, so I'd see them as a WH3 DLC or preorder bonus.

MECHANICS:

Infamy- VC
    So first one that made me think of this was the infamy mechanic for Vampire Coast, this would work really well for a mercenary army, and would provide your faction leader, such as Borgio with some sort of end goal.

Emperor’s Mandate - Empire
    A mechanic where your progress in fulfilling a contract is tracked by your employer leading to increased funding and particular units with increased success. Could also link to recruitable units from the employer faction, so dwarf warriors if you take a contract from them, or high elf troops from Ulthuan etc.

Wulfhart’s Hunters - Empire
    A fun, loreful way of tracking down famous mercenary heroes or companies, such as Asarnil The Dragonlord or the giants of albion, and recruiting them completing special missions sounds perfect for dogs of war.

Defence of the Great Plan - Lizardmen
    Although not perfect, this seems to really fit the dogs of war. They don't occupy and run cities, but they are hired by factions to capture cities for them. So if you could get hired by the empire for example and you take a city, it will be immediately gifted to the empire, for which you will get payment and benefits in a similar fashion to Nakai and his vassals.

Nakai's Horde mechanics - Lizardmen
    In his campaign only Nakai’s personal horde can unlock units and his other hordes recruit unit types Nakai has unlocked using the Global Recruitment option. This seems to make sense for the dogs of war. Borgio the besieger, for example, may send off a pay master with some splinter forces to create another army, but the faction resolves around him.

then with this new dlc we see Greater Clan Contracts on the steam page this is described as:

'Skavendom’s unseen leaders are forever seeking to disrupt and backstab each other on the Council of Thirteen. When a problem arises that needs serious attention, the Greater Clans approach Clan Eshin to do their dirty work. These Clan Contracts allow Clan Eshin to receive money, food and increased reputation with the issuing clans, thus granting bonuses and reducing the cost of the Greater Clans’ specialized units.'

this seems like the core mechanic for a dogs of war faction, possibly with more complexity, something CA would look into based on feedback from this dlc. So theres an open contract page, and you different recieve bonuses and maybe even units based on your reputation with the other factions, and maybe negative reputation if you constantly act against them.

I could be wrong, and if I am it wouldn't be the end of the world for me, but I think CA could adapt all of these mechanics to create a lore friendly and fun dogs of war faction. And one with the appeal where it could be different on multiple playthroughs. Focus on empire contracts, or high elf contracts, or even dark elf contracts, itd be very sandboxy.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it probably wouldn't be too expensive for them. As said previously they use mostly just reskinned units from other factions. Maybe just pikemen and a couple of other new animations required along side the reskins. Sounds pretty good for a preorder faction for game 3

If we ever see TBE or DoW, i think its gonna be in a long time since are an odditie more than a faction per say. Like long past the release of wh3 when there a better trading contracts and possibly introduction of a proto-merc contract with the ogres maneaters. I mean they dont wanna reproduce another WoC, with really bad mechanics from the start so i think that they are gonna go long term with this one, much like rome 2 dlc that were popping from time to time, and i think the same about araby, not major factions so they are the bottom end of the list of stuff needed for twwh but interesting enough to possibly being seeing in the future but în a long time
    Sanity is a curse, madness offers the only freedom...
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,823
    Everyone time someone mentions the factions, poor Dogbert goes back into the kennel for another month ;(.
  • LennoxPoodle#1380LennoxPoodle#1380 Registered Users Posts: 1,946
    I kind of doubt (out of hope) that we'll play roaming mercenary armies. My guess is that the player will take the role of the southern realms city states/fiefdoms hiring these mercenaries. So we gonna be a settled faction but maybe with a more decentralized recruitment system, allowing us to meddle in the affairs of others without necessarily expanding ourselves. Merc generals could be recruited (and return to after disbanding) from a character pool shared by all factions from the race (think hero hiring in HoMaM) allowing more effective disbanding and raising armies on the spot.

A lot of what @RichardNRound mentioned could still apply though. I wouldn't want yet another map painting based campaign. Maybe the Southern Realms would be trying to "conquer" trade across the world?