Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How many Lord Packs for a single race is appropriate?

adjungadjung Registered Users Posts: 350
My dudes. The upcoming DLC has added a unit that arguably fits better with Ikit Claw (poison wind mortar), but there is no single Moulder-unit in the pack. Some speculate that this is due to Skaven getting yet another Lord Pack sometime in the future. And while I am always in favour of additional content, this would be the 3rd Lord Pack for the same race, in stark contrast to Beastmen and Norsca and Wood Elves. While it seems widely accepted that (preorder-)DLC-races are a one-off and cannot be expected to get more content, fans of DLC-races from WH1 seem in a dire place, as they suffer both from a severely limited range of LLs and lack of interesting mechanics. So, where do we draw the line? Are 3 lord packs for the same race acceptable when we bear in mind that resources are limited and other content is left out? If you had to choose, would you rather see a VCount or Dwarf or even Wood Elves Lord Pack instead of getting more Skaven?

Forward onto Slaughter.

Comments

• Aram_theheadAram_thehead Registered Users Posts: 1,005
    I think that a race deserves as many lord packs as it needs.

Skaven have a lot to offer, so they deserve a lot of lord packs.
    Wood Elves roster is complete, they only need lords. I think wood elves deserve one more lord pack that adds many lords but no units or a couple FLCs at best.
    Chaos Warriors is the only DLC faction that deserves many many lord packs in my opinion.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 8,012
    As many as is required to fill out the roster is the simple answer.
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,487
    For me Skaven should have 2 more. 1 for Throt, 1 for Thanquol.
    Empire could also get 4.
    Chaos Warriors and Daemons could get 8 for all we know though with all their missing.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,655
    As many as it takes to fill the races and the map with relevant, different and interesting Lords and units. Having said that adding new races like Araby, Southern Realms and Kislev are always a better option than adding yet another Lord pack for a race.

We do reach a point however where we don't need to have units added for the sake of adding units. We don't need all manner of made up units, every bad idea ever thought up by Games Workshop or units that introduce too much reduncancy or remove the uniqueness from races.

At some point it is perfectly fine to add Lord Packs consisting of Lords with starts and mechanics of their own but without new units.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,872
    As long as Warhammer junkies keep paying for it.

I'm already iffy on the second lord pack, beyond that would be going perhaps too far for me.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,144
    Depends how many lords in a lord pack.
    DE: for me it's complete with coming DLC. We could get a few heroes.. But not really needed

HE: For Lords, I'd like to see Imrik AND Eltharion (could be main DLC LL + FLC LL), Archmages as generic lords, and Annointed or Dragon mages as hero. they lack a few units (White Luion Chariots, Skycutter)... So that's one LP + FLC. Probalby not enough for 2.

WE: unit wise, complete (htye could get a few forst spirts, may not really important IMO). They could get a LL (Ariel, Sisters, Alaroth), maybe generic spellweaver as generic lord, and two generic heros (bladesinger, glade captain...). For me ideal = 1 LP with Ariel as LL and sisters as FLC LL or heroes).

Bretonnia: unit wise full, no really needed to get a LP. But I'd like to have their regions expanded to show all the missing minor factions. No a LP, but part of a map update is enough.

Empire: beside the knightly orders, I ndon't think they are still missing much. But they could get a DLC with more Lords!

• UberReptilianUberReptilian The Crystal LabyrinthRegistered Users Posts: 5,487
    Crossil said:

As long as Warhammer junkies keep paying for it.

Dude, DLC is almost as good as Warpstone. Almost.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 8,381
    adjung said:

So, where do we draw the line?

We draw it at complete roster, obviously.

• TalekTalek Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Brettonia, Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings are probably 5 races that are marked as complete for CA, i doubt they ever gonna get a dlc level of content, dark elves or tomb kings might get random flc lord in far future but unlikely.
    After next dlc i expect same fate for High Elves, Skavens definitely have content for 2 more dlcs but they might only get one, they still have much more content already than most races in the game, so it might not be as fast as some people would like and might be part of WH3 dlc content (clan moulder should fit nicely there on both maps). Overall WH2 races are much more fleshed out than original ones.
    Greenskins are probably 1 dlc + 1 flc lord material, even though they have units for even 3 or 4 dlc they're mostly different versions of what we already have, just give me more squigs and i'll be happy (snotlings are probably write off or are they?). Dwarf are probably same 1dlc(thunderbarge please) + 1flc lord material.
    For Empire there is obviously plenty of characters but in terms of units outside of Celestial Hurricanum there isn't much left not counting different versions, so we might get a lord down the road but not much more than that. Same for Vampire Counts, Neferata, Abhorash or even making Red Duke full legendary lord would be cool but i doubt they ever gonna be part of dlc + i think the undead material is pretty heavy explored over first two games (chaos time baby) and they wanna give it a break for long time if ever they decide to add something.
    Now with the dlc factions i don't even wanna start with chaos because that's just some demo preview version. Beastmens have dlc material in them, the brass bull legendary lord, doombull as lord option + tuskgor chariot and ghorgon (jabberslythe won't happen guys).
    Wood Elves are pretty much roster complete outside of few weapon options, they need lore of magic update, maybe Spellweaver as lord but outside of that they just need good rework to be relevant and interesting on big map + Ariel or Sisters as legendary lord.
    Norsca is a bonus anyway, depends what they gonna do with Chaos overall, but i don't expect big additions here, they already got some new stuff when they added them to WH2. Surtha Ek is a must though even as a grand finale last content piece 5 years from now but it need to happen (-50% upkeep for chariots, +300% upkeep on anything else)
  • beegee84beegee84 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 295
    Until all the lords in the army books are in the game
  • markusasmarkusas Registered Users Posts: 241
    edited December 2019
    Many more

Empire - maybe 3 + flc
    They basically need a LL in every province and a few in altdorf + legendary heroes.

Dwarfs - at least 2 more + flc (zhufbar + Karak azul)

Beastmen - 1

Wood Elfs - 1

High Elves - 3 or 2+ flc

Skaven - 1

Greenskins - 1 or 2 depends on overhaul coming up.

Brettonia - 1

Vampires - 1 or 2

Norsca - 1 + flc

Chaos - 1+ flc

This includes legendary heroes as many as possible.

When game 3 comes out I want to travel the world from the east to west and invade the western shores of Naggaroth. Also expand Mortal Empires South and West to make Southlands, Lustria and Western Naggaroth great again!
  • SeswathaSeswatha Registered Users Posts: 4,757
    edited December 2019
    Skaven have enough official content for 2 more lord packs actually, but I don't expect both in WH2, WH2 will have 1 more at best.

Out of the remaining races only Greenskins and WoC have a significant amount of left out content (although any race could use more lords, but just a lord is not DLC material, it's FLC).

Some others like HE, BM, Empire and even LM could use another DLC, but out of these I only really expect HE to get one in WH2.

All races could use more lords but this is FLC material.

Anyways, if 1 more lord pack for WH2 it's pretty much guaranteed to be HE vs GS.

If there's one more Clan Moulder would be a top choice in terms of available game 2 content imo. I don't expect something crazy like WE vs BM (2 game 1 DLC races).

I could maybe see something like Skaven vs BM with WE flc.

I don't see a WH2 LP with no WH2 races.

• Aventus_MaximusAventus_Maximus Registered Users Posts: 471
    Ever found yourself looking at DoW and asked why?
    it is because of you,
    that is why

Male Parta Male Dilabuntur – ‘What has been wrongly gained is wrongly lost.’
    Fiat Lux – ‘Let there be light.’
    Alea Jacta Est – ‘The die is cast.’
  • MShaunyMShauny Registered Users Posts: 35
    adjung said:

My dudes. The upcoming DLC has added a unit that arguably fits better with Ikit Claw (poison wind mortar), Some speculate that this is due to Skaven getting yet another Lord Pack sometime in the future.

Or a dedicated Race Pack DLC (or pre-order) for game 3, because of this:

https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1515/46/1515469050473.pdf

Vampire Coast for instance, was also a part of Warhammer Chronicles.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,488

Empire could also get 4.
    Chaos Warriors and Daemons could get 8 for all we know though with all their missing.

Throt definitely needs a lord pack but I really don't know about Thanquol. He's more a FLC material and someone we'll probably get through a Games Workshop event (so it'll most likely be a FLC like Grombrindal and G&F) though I'd love a lord pack with the missing Pestilens units. Skrolk is in a pretty bad spot right now, boring faction bonus, his unique skills are not that great and the plague hero from the rite is still useless.

• NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    neodeinos said:

Empire could also get 4.

Throt definitely needs a lord pack but I really don't know about Thanquol. He's more a FLC material and someone we'll probably get through a Games Workshop event (so it'll most likely be a FLC like Grombrindal and G&F) though I'd love a lord pack with the missing Pestilens units. Skrolk is in a pretty bad spot right now, boring faction bonus, his unique skills are not that great and the plague hero from the rite is still useless.
    Yeah Throt dlc with Thanquol as FLC would be cool. Giving Skaven a fourth LP may make Skaven op and leave other butthurt about there favourite factions not getting the same love.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,440
    It used to be 1 lord pack for a race, but now they are going super saiyan 2 and super saiyan 3. :)

• taalisman01taalisman01 Registered Users Posts: 231
    Skaven, Undead and Chaos have always been favorites for people playing warhammer tabletop, you can expect more DLC's for these races as they are more likely to sell well.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 9,487
    As many as it takes to complete the setting, content deniers can get bent.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,074
    As many as it takes. Don’t like dlc? Don’t buy any. Simple. **** steam reviewers
  • kevManiackevManiac Registered Users Posts: 984
    How many Lord Packs? Not enough Lord Packs. NEVER ENOUGH LORD PACKS!

-Some Skaven who was asked if there were enough Lord Packs. He said the same thing about Doomwheels.

Anyway, I think some factions can have a LP or two. Skaven obviously, and Greenskins/ Chaos/ BM need one too. And quite some FLC lords for races like WE, Empire, Dwarfs, Chaos. But having like 4 Lord Pack for one race is a bit too much in my opinion, so I think 2 or 3 is the max for most races
    Races I'd like to see, in order of preference: Chaos Dwarfs, Southern Realm/ DoW, Nippon, Hobgoblin Kharnate, Kuresh, Ind.

#JusticeForTzeentch.
  • DatHomieSilverSurferDatHomieSilverSurfer Registered Users Posts: 277

In my opinion, having a defined and arbitrary cap to LP's for a race seems to be oddly limiting and dismissive of the reality that certain races have more content, interest generated, and thought put into their design. The Empire, Skaven, Chaos all received vastly more content than factions like Bretonnia/Wood Elves/Beastmen. If they get an unequal amount of Lord Packs, it's because CA and GW are acknowledging the fact that they have more obvious options that allow for flashy and salesworthy potential.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,819
    For Vampires, Skaven, and Lizardmen there is no theoretical maximum.

Elves can get bent.
  • VictuzVictuz Sao Paulo, BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 414

I think that a race deserves as many lord packs as it needs.

Skaven have a lot to offer, so they deserve a lot of lord packs.
    Wood Elves roster is complete, they only need lords. I think wood elves deserve one more lord pack that adds many lords but no units or a couple FLCs at best.
    Chaos Warriors is the only DLC faction that deserves many many lord packs in my opinion.

Don't WE need RoR?
  • VictuzVictuz Sao Paulo, BrazilRegistered Users Posts: 414
    edited December 2019
    RikRiorik said:

As many as it takes to fill the races and the map with relevant, different and interesting Lords and units. Having said that adding new races like Araby, Southern Realms and Kislev are always a better option than adding yet another Lord pack for a race.

We do reach a point however where we don't need to have units added for the sake of adding units. We don't need all manner of made up units, every bad idea ever thought up by Games Workshop or units that introduce too much reduncancy or remove the uniqueness from races.

At some point it is perfectly fine to add Lord Packs consisting of Lords with starts and mechanics of their own but without new units.

In my opinion what's left of humanity (including Amazons maybe) should be put into WH3.

And about units, it depends if a faction didn't receive justice, like the Empire, Greenskins or Chaos for example.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 5,215
    If CA made 50 lord packs per race, I'd buy every single one.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • SeswathaSeswatha Registered Users Posts: 4,757
    edited December 2019
    Overall it's how much content a race actually has to offer + the rule of cool (this is subjective).

As long as there's cool and relevant content it should get added.

If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel to make some boring or extremely lore unfriendly LP then it's probably not the best idea.

So even though Norsca didn't get a single LP, I don't really think it actually needs get one, and FLC would be cool some time though.

I can also see CA doing "campaign packs" with 4 LLs for the old races in WH3 since there won't be a lot fo material for campaign packs adding new races.

I would expect WoC and DoC end up with 8+ LLs each in WH3, Skaven can do with 7-8 in the end (Throt, Thanquol and Skreech as a stretch but not really necessary).

• DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 11,023
    Better question would be whether it's reasonable to leave out key units for DLC. Skaven in particular stank of this.

Personally, I'd raise a mental eyebrow at going over three.