Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lybaras, Khalida, and a rough campaign start

CommanderXillianCommanderXillian Registered Users Posts: 9
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
So, I got some issues. Namely, why doesn't Khalida have a unique structure in her capital? It's a minor settlement, it's her only one, and it even lacks walls. For a city that is renowned for its archers, its temple-complex, and the ornate tomb of Khalida... It makes no sense that she doesn't at least have a structure akin to the Mousillon castle, something to help out not just your start but really sell the feeling of the faction. You have Kroq-Gar to your south (an absolute monster), have to contend with Vampiric corruption in your region as a baseline, have mountains cutting you off from ports so trade is a no-go unless you go to war with Clan Mors (again, difficult, thanks to the other factors) and they will be a pain if you want to restore Nehekhara...

Life's pretty hard for Khalida. She deserves a smidgen of love, from a unique structure in this capital at least. She's not a caster lord like the rest of her roster, so that's another rough patch for her. Don't get me wrong; she is my preferred lord for a reason and I'm still going to play it through regardless. Just sayin', I'd not be above donating to some modder willing to add something balanced, or praising CA even more than I already do if they dealt with this issue.
Post edited by CommanderXillian on

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 31,542
    edited December 2019
    I still think that Lybaras should be the capital of a separate province.
    Post edited by ArneSo on
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,614
    You forgot that both Snikch and Malus might soon be making visits as well. But enjoy the early start and it's roughness. I tried a start in ME with her ages ago and remember it was pretty rough. But these are the starts to relish. Does she really need more buffs though through some tomb or other? Maybe. But she's got some pretty hefty buffs to her Archers already.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    edited December 2019
    ArneSo said:

I still thing that Lybaras should be tge capital of a separate province.

Anything that adds settlements to the Southlands is a good thing.
  • innerpinnerp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 982
    while we are at it, i think its embarassing that she is the only LL in the game who doesnt have a legendary item
    innerp said:

while we are at it, i think its embarassing that she is the only LL in the game who doesnt have a legendary item

The Venom Staff?
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 4,162
    I expect Khalida to receive a landmark when Neferata is on map and receives her corresponding landmark.

RikRiorik said:

innerp said:

The Venom Staff?
    thats a common item
    innerp said:

RikRiorik said:

innerp said:

The Venom Staff?
    thats a common item
    I literally just clicked end turn and recieved it (by way of mod) and it's not.
  • alex33alex33 Registered Users Posts: 1,272
    Lybaras needs to be a province capital. Make Lahmia a one city province like the Black Pyramid
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 31,542
    alex33 said:

Lybaras needs to be a province capital. Make Lahmia a one city province like the Black Pyramid

Most Tomb Cities should be major Capitals.
    - Zandri
    - Bhagar
    - Mahrak
    - Quatar
    - Lybaras

CA should make them all 1 settlement provinces or add more landmarks like “Springs of eternal Life” working as minor settlements.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 14,303
    ArneSo said:

alex33 said:

Most Tomb Cities should be major Capitals.
    - Zandri
    - Bhagar
    - Mahrak
    - Quatar
    - Lybaras

CA should make them all 1 settlement provinces or add more landmarks like “Springs of eternal Life” working as minor settlements.
    If you do that then you might want to rework a bit the building tree or it would be a pain for those 1 settlements province.

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,513
    ArneSo said:

Very much this.
  • CommanderXillianCommanderXillian Registered Users Posts: 9
    Yes, she has a single legendary item; as for relishing the hard start, being caught in a slugging match with limited expansion opportunity with one of the strongest campaign characters after securing your home province is fine. Doing so when your home province is held by an entrenched foe, with corruption and public order issues, and no bones thrown to you at all, is a bit much.

Doing all of this, without a caster lord, in an army that relies in its casters, monsters, and chariots so heavily, is enough to warrent Lybaras starting with a unique tier-two building to give Khalida access to her archers, a tougher garrison, walls, and maybe some Cavalry archers too just to make things interesting. Give it a tier three upgrade giving you early access to a single unit of Necropolis knights! That would fit her character, especially with her intro-movie that plays on select, too well.

C'mon, CA, I know you love this game. Half the avatars are for Total Warhammer. Just a smidgen of love for the High Queen?
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,382
    ArneSo said:

And it should also get "Great Temple of Asaph" landmark!

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
    she doesnt have a legendary item stop making up BS!
  • CommanderXillianCommanderXillian Registered Users Posts: 9
    Venom Staff is pretty solid, tbh... It could be better, but it's not ignore-worthy. Plus, she can equip the entire purple line of Mortuary Cult items easily to support it.
    @innerp . Define Legendary Item then? The Venom Staff is her item that appears on her skill page. This is the definition of a legendary item. If you need further proof then when recieved it has a purple colour and the word ’unique’ attached to it. I don’t know what to tell you friend?

@CommanderXillian . Yeah it’s absolutely a tough nut. Not even sure how hard it is these days since it’s been a long while since I’ve tried it. It’s quite possible it’s Skarsnik level now? But I love those rough early starts. I remember when they added the Copper Mountain landmark to Belegar’s start I felt those early extra gold cheapened the experience as it allowed for an immediate full stack.
  • NinaranNinaran Registered Users Posts: 490
    Fighting Kroq-Gar early on when he declares war on like turn 6 and brings a full stack of Saurus against your regular single army of skeletons makes for a very sad playthrough.
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 1,235
    I normally rush the vamps and then wait for Kroq Gar to settle the vacant settlement just above his province... Then wipe him out the next turn. From there it's incredibly easy to take his settlements.
    But it does depend on timing - any delays for a turn even or he declares war on you first will throw that strategy out.
    But it can be done and turns her start into something manageable...
  • ShivaXShivaX Registered Users Posts: 309
    I tried this a couple times and both runs ended because Kroq-gar fires off Rite of Primeval Glory and then just walks through your Tier 1/2 armies with a wall of dinos.

It's turn 36, I got an Ushatabi and some chariots... oh look 6 carnos.
  • Vladeks87Vladeks87 Registered Users Posts: 7
    edited July 2021
    This post is active in 2021?
    Khalida still need buffs also all TK LL need buffs.
    For Khalida they can do next:
    - Her starting province need to be Lybaras and she will have her landmark building, or minor village but lvl III with necroserpent nest building and her landmark building.
    - her Faction effects should be Suitable Climate: Jungle, Ammunition: +20% (all armies), archers range: +20% (all armies), archers got Armour-Piercing Damage (all armies)
    - her Lord Effect: Enables magic attacks (all armies), Untainted +3 (local province), archers: +15% range damage, all snake units + defence and melee attack and
    - she starts with one more eye of the desert Sepulchral Stalkers
    - khalida have range attack
    - she have her nagash book which gives: unit capacity: archers +5, snake units +5 and it gives +10% Ammunition, range damage and Reload Time
    - her second nagash book which gives: army capacity +1, archers and snake units have poison attack (all armies)

+ her mechanic: hunt vampire lords (maybe something like Imrik dragon battles), she have battle for all vampire LL and after battle she got special traits and units. We have 8 vampire LL and maybe we got 1 or 2 more so that is 9 or 10 special units for khalida. Maybe blood dragon and new skeleton dragon.
  • SephlockSephlock Registered Users Posts: 2,819
    Of course she had a hard time: she’s constantly shouting for Neferata’s head but it’s nowhere to be found :(.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,486
    Khalida and Kroqgar both are the red-headed stepchildren of their factions.

That whole corner of the map needs a little touch up.

It's spread out af, hard to defend, and the race mix is strange (room for more settlements, but not likely lore for them, sadly). That other LM faction really gets in the way of Kroq'gar for instance. They should have a higher chance to confederate, maybe. With half the map cut off there's also no convenient way for Kroq'gar to get to the desert or make contact with Tiktaq'to. He's also under attack from all sides and it takes 2-3 turns to reach any settlement from the others, and has a poorly defensible coast that Malus ravages (instead of going north to fight Eshin and Caledor like he should). I have not seen Kroq'gar AI survive past about turn 50 in a long time, other than a few scenarios where he has like 1 settlement for longer because Queek or Snikch got distracted for a minute. Usually Malus keeps him battered down until Queek comes along, but Malus rarely wins because of the distance involved and AI being bad at amphibious play.

Then we have those island ports -- which INCORRECTLY do NOT connect to any other ports. This could be fixed by some simple tagging and I don't know why they don't... it's especially egregious for Imrik as it prevents him from trading until mid-game, which is crap for a high elf.

But back to Khalida... yeah she's screwed. Under attack from ALL sides by Vampires, Lizardmen, Skaven, Greenskins, High Elves, and Dark Elves... all as Tomb Kings whose first 30-50 turns is something of a vulnerable nightmare (their early game needs a boost now that everyone else's is way stronger). She's also (let's not mince words) the most boring of the TK, the least "Tomb-Kingy" of the whole lot (weird goals, stands alone, has pretty body coverings, and has a strange origin). She could be so much more -- but if she were, that would detract of Neferata's uniqueness because let's be honest they are two sides of the same coin. Which is also our best hope of Khalida getting love -- when they inevitably add Neferata, they will almost have to improve Khalida because that right there is a truly ancient rivalry worthy of legend. They simply must destroy each other. Period. Unfortunately, that leaves her in limbo... until Neferata is announced as the PDLC, lol.

But yeah... Khalida is... not fun. I have 0 interest in playing her at all because she's just not in a good place and is boring (Alarielle is also boring af but I digress). Her position also offers nothing unique, really. She's got nothing. You could have effectively the same campaign as Settra but without any of the headache or blandness.

#MakeKhalidaGreatAgain

How's Arkhan, btw? I have not played him because he is a loathsome traitorous bastard that serves a loathsome traitorous bastard. Him I have 3% interest in playing though, which is more than I can say for Khalida. So how is he? Khatep in ME is presently one of the hardest starts, and is fun, unless Taurox notices you before you have at least 2, preferably 3 armies... if he does, you die. You have nothing that can stop his stack. Period. Early TK desperately needs work now... their design philosophy is out dated. The research needs to be sped up and access to heroes and lords made better. Given that BM already share many of their mechanics, maybe some concepts could backflow into TK to improve their lot (early on at the very least).
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 9,955
    edited July 2021
    Khalida and Khatep are implemented poorly in the game. Khalida's way of buffing archers, her focus, is so supremely stupid. Khatep is the worst starting position in ME in the entire game.

Tomb Kings need a rework in game 3 since Beastmen is release-date Tomb Kings dialed to 100.

• whatever14whatever14 Registered Users Posts: 464
    Amonkhet said:

Khalida and Khatep are implemented poorly in the game. Khalida's way of buffing archers, her focus, is so supremely stupid. Khatep is the worst starting position in ME in the entire game.

Tomb Kings need a rework in game 3 since Beastmen is release-date Tomb Kings dialed to 100.

so what now we need to make tk stupidly op too?

leave tough start alone. they are rare enough. you have like thousands of mods on workshop that make every lord or race stupidly op.
  • whatever14whatever14 Registered Users Posts: 464
    Itharus said:

It's spread out af, hard to defend, and the race mix is strange (room for more settlements, but not likely lore for them, sadly). That other LM faction really gets in the way of Kroq'gar for instance. They should have a higher chance to confederate, maybe. With half the map cut off there's also no convenient way for Kroq'gar to get to the desert or make contact with Tiktaq'to. He's also under attack from all sides and it takes 2-3 turns to reach any settlement from the others, and has a poorly defensible coast that Malus ravages (instead of going north to fight Eshin and Caledor like he should). I have not seen Kroq'gar AI survive past about turn 50 in a long time, other than a few scenarios where he has like 1 settlement for longer because Queek or Snikch got distracted for a minute. Usually Malus keeps him battered down until Queek comes along, but Malus rarely wins because of the distance involved and AI being bad at amphibious play.

Then we have those island ports -- which INCORRECTLY do NOT connect to any other ports. This could be fixed by some simple tagging and I don't know why they don't... it's especially egregious for Imrik as it prevents him from trading until mid-game, which is crap for a high elf.

But back to Khalida... yeah she's screwed. Under attack from ALL sides by Vampires, Lizardmen, Skaven, Greenskins, High Elves, and Dark Elves... all as Tomb Kings whose first 30-50 turns is something of a vulnerable nightmare (their early game needs a boost now that everyone else's is way stronger). She's also (let's not mince words) the most boring of the TK, the least "Tomb-Kingy" of the whole lot (weird goals, stands alone, has pretty body coverings, and has a strange origin). She could be so much more -- but if she were, that would detract of Neferata's uniqueness because let's be honest they are two sides of the same coin. Which is also our best hope of Khalida getting love -- when they inevitably add Neferata, they will almost have to improve Khalida because that right there is a truly ancient rivalry worthy of legend. They simply must destroy each other. Period. Unfortunately, that leaves her in limbo... until Neferata is announced as the PDLC, lol.

But yeah... Khalida is... not fun. I have 0 interest in playing her at all because she's just not in a good place and is boring (Alarielle is also boring af but I digress). Her position also offers nothing unique, really. She's got nothing. You could have effectively the same campaign as Settra but without any of the headache or blandness.

#MakeKhalidaGreatAgain

How's Arkhan, btw? I have not played him because he is a loathsome traitorous bastard that serves a loathsome traitorous bastard. Him I have 3% interest in playing though, which is more than I can say for Khalida. So how is he? Khatep in ME is presently one of the hardest starts, and is fun, unless Taurox notices you before you have at least 2, preferably 3 armies... if he does, you die. You have nothing that can stop his stack. Period. Early TK desperately needs work now... their design philosophy is out dated. The research needs to be sped up and access to heroes and lords made better. Given that BM already share many of their mechanics, maybe some concepts could backflow into TK to improve their lot (early on at the very least).

sounds like a fun and challenging campaign. leave tk alone, casuals. you have your mods for making everything op.
  • Prkl8rPrkl8r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,080
    RikRiorik said:

ArneSo said:

I still thing that Lybaras should be tge capital of a separate province.

Anything that adds settlements to the Southlands is a good thing.
    I feel the opposite, the old world areas have too many settlements. I'm tired of siege battle after siege batter. Vortex is a better campaign because settlements are more spread out, so you have more field battles.
  • DjauDjau Registered Users Posts: 9,955

Amonkhet said:

so what now we need to make tk stupidly op too?

leave tough start alone. they are rare enough. you have like thousands of mods on workshop that make every lord or race stupidly op.
    Its not difficult, just the optimal way to beat it is beyond boring.

• YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 1,947

Itharus said:

#MakeKhalidaGreatAgain

sounds like a fun and challenging campaign. leave tk alone, casuals. you have your mods for making everything op.
    Sounding like a privileged idiot isn't a good way of making anyone listen to you. It tends to put people on the defensive and your message goes to deaf ears.
    Ugh, I have spoken.
  • MurmurlockMurmurlock Registered Users Posts: 942

Life's pretty hard for Khalida. She deserves a smidgen of love, from a unique structure in this capital at least. She's not a caster lord like the rest of her roster, so that's another rough patch for her. Don't get me wrong; she is my preferred lord for a reason and I'm still going to play it through regardless. Just sayin', I'd not be above donating to some modder willing to add something balanced, or praising CA even more than I already do if they dealt with this issue.

No, I love her hard campaign start, one of the most interesting campaigns. Leave us atleast one hard campaign.
    From Kislev with Poorgrammar. :)