Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Badlands rework, including a section of the World's Edge Mountains. (K8P suggestion)

CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 5,936
edited December 2019 in General Discussion

As usual, tried to make a possible rework map just for the fun of it. The Badlands have some funny naming conventions nowadays so I tried to work those out. Ended up with the Eight Peaks separate into several settlements to represent the two entrances.

Deep red lines are province borders, light red are region borders and red crosses are settlements. Province capitals bolded.

Marshes of Madness(new province):
-Morgheim/Mourkain(new north settlement)
-Floating Village(new east settlement)
-???(new west settlement, no idea about the name or if it's even needed)

East Badlands(reworked):
-Karak Azgal
-Crooked Fang Fort
-Dringorackaz
-Wyvern Cliffs(new southwest settlement)

Eight Peaks(newly constructed, could go without the two new settlements but thought it would be nice to represent sections of K8P through separate settlements):
-City of Pillars(renamed, maybe the other way around or the old or another name)
-Karag Nar(new east settlement)
-Karag Yar/Karag Zilfin(new center-west settlement)
-Valaya's Sorrow

Skull Crag(cut out of Blightwater):
-Misty Mountain
-Kradtommen

Blightwater:
-Deff Gorge
-Red Cloud Mountain(new east settlement)
-Barrier Idolz(new west settlement)

In addition CA should rename the Desolation of Nagash province to something else now that we have the actual Desolation of Nagash settlement in Nagashizzar province(Broken Teeth). Dunno to what.

Other than that Red Cloud Mountain is supposed to be Karag Orrud which is a Charnel Valley settlement but that one can be renamed to Doom Mountain or this one can be named that and moved further east, or the two can exist with the proposed names even if they are supposed to be the same place.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the change to Karak Eight Peaks. It should be a separate province from the Eastern Badlands but I'm not sure if parts of it should be separate settlements nor am I sure if Valaya's Sorrow should remain a part of its province or be added to, let's say, Death Pass.

What do you guys think?
UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
Post edited by Crossil on

Comments

• natethegreat1112natethegreat1112 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 104
    edited December 2019
    in the volcano, fire mountain, there is a skaven clan called clan Volkn, a skaven tribe know for its love of all things fire. It should not be playable but should be added to add some more skaven to the region as they need more representation. Perhaps have a unique building giving bonus to warp fires throwers or adding flame attack or fire resistance to units.

Post edited by natethegreat1112 on
    Fear is wisdom in the face of danger.
  • SteelRoninSteelRonin Junior Member ChileRegistered Users Posts: 731
    The last patch changed the name of Desolation of Nagash province.

Btw, I agree with you, the Badlands should be reworked, and the Mourkain provinces should have vampiric corruption by local populace, and the Strigoi Empire can start there as a passive AI.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 3,225
    As long as we get Mourkain I'm sold.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 5,936
    edited December 2019
    I would've honestly expected more responses on the K8P suggestion of having it made up of several settlements as Karags Nar, Yar and Zilfin are actually the mountains that make up the eight peaks. It would take several battles to take the entirety of it like this but I wanted to hear general opinion on that.

The last patch changed the name of Desolation of Nagash province.

Could've sworn it wasn't. I guess not playing the game and not seeing it mentioned anywhere made me think it wasn't changed.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,077

in the volcano, fire mountain, there is a skaven clan called clan Volkn, a skaven tribe know for its love of all things fire. It should not be playable but should be added to add some more skaven to the region as they need more representation. Perhaps have a unique building giving bonus to warp fires throwers or adding flame attack or fire resistance to units.

Swear to Mork you Skaven players won't be happy until you START THE FRIGGING GAME WITH 100% SKAVEN CORRUPTION EVERYWHERE and Skaven holding 75% of all settlements on the map.

Part of the obsession with I-Win buttons methinks.
    Itharus said:

Swear to Mork you Skaven players won't be happy until you START THE FRIGGING GAME WITH 100% SKAVEN CORRUPTION EVERYWHERE and Skaven holding 75% of all settlements on the map.

Part of the obsession with I-Win buttons methinks.
    Nope, but the Old world lacks of Skaven presence....that is all.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 7,425
    edited December 2019
    I don’t care about the specifics of it or exactly how it is done but there is absolutely room to add to that part of the map and I’m really looking forward to see if the Greenskin update adds it’s own version of the total of 12ish settlements/forts that have been added inside the Empire since the launch of TWW2. Doesn’t have to be that many but adding just half of that could really spice up the region.

If we’re going to have the Greenskins be this infighting race (and we should) it’d be nice to have the Badlands be a teeming mess of Greenskin tribes in constant war but be a truly scary thing when united for a big Waaagh!.

( While we’re at it another plug for ripping Karak Azul to shreds and dividing their frankly ridiculous amount of settlements up between Skaven and Greenskins.

And you know, we could ALWAYS need more Skaven in the World’s Edge Mountains.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    Also, the Dragonback Mountains should be bigger, there can be 3 settlements there, not just one (Ekrund). Also, Ekrund should be named "Mount Bloodhorn".

Dragonback Mountains is not a little mountain chain, they practically reach The Marshes of Madness.

Even Ogre tribes roam the southern part of the Badlands, they can be added there when WH3 arrives..
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 977
    edited December 2019
    The badlands and the mountains regions of the ME map (the vaults, etc.) need a big rework.

They feel quite empty and the skaven and GS presence is so tiny compare to the dawi.

I would like to see less dawi settlements (especially for karak azul) but those dawi clans should start with the garrison building. It would reflect their lore : few in numbers but very hard to take settlements. The dawi tide probability would be reduced, but they would remain a regional power the GS and skaven should take into account, and would put a lot of power to destroy.

I like your idea about K8P. Controlling the 3 settlements would grant you prestige among your race, and huge bonuses, but maluses for not owning the region, reflecting the underway war between the 3 races.
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 1,724
    This looks nice, although I agree with the above poster that said the dragonback mountains should be expanded. Also, I think Iron Rock deserves to a major settlement. It's literally an entire mountain of iron, with tunnels throughout, making it a strong natural fortress. The greenskin 8th edition armybook describes it as one of the strongest positions in the entire badlands.

Also, while changing up the badlands, the greenskins deserve a host of new landmarks. Giant stomping grounds in the west, border idols to the south, perhaps a river troll landmark in the marshes if they ever come to the game. Overall, the badlands should be filled to the brim with warring greenskin tribes, it should be one of the hardest places in the world to maintain a permanent foothold for anyone but the greenskins.
    edited December 2019

Also, the Dragonback Mountains should be bigger, there can be 3 settlements there, not just one (Ekrund). Also, Ekrund should be named "Mount Bloodhorn".

Dragonback Mountains is not a little mountain chain, they practically reach The Marshes of Madness.

Even Ogre tribes roam the southern part of the Badlands, they can be added there when WH3 arrives..

I didn't touch that as there aren't that many settlements there that I could find to name these places after, in fact I think the ones that are there are made up by CA, barring Ekrund itself. The only specific place there is Giant Stomping Grounds south of Ekrund and Dragonback Mountains. The only unnamed settlement I added is the western settlement in Marshes of Madness and even that was something I wasn't sure I should do in the first place.

Basically, I'm not sure how to divide the place nor am I sure what to name those locations. Since I like to have those names in these presentations I left Western Badlands unchanged. I guess you could make Dragonback Mountains separate but at least the way I do it I didn't see how I could do it.

I am getting some new ideas on how to divide the map though, so I might make a second map with these ideas.

This looks nice, although I agree with the above poster that said the dragonback mountains should be expanded. Also, I think Iron Rock deserves to a major settlement. It's literally an entire mountain of iron, with tunnels throughout, making it a strong natural fortress. The greenskin 8th edition armybook describes it as one of the strongest positions in the entire badlands.

Also, while changing up the badlands, the greenskins deserve a host of new landmarks. Giant stomping grounds in the west, border idols to the south, perhaps a river troll landmark in the marshes if they ever come to the game. Overall, the badlands should be filled to the brim with warring greenskin tribes, it should be one of the hardest places in the world to maintain a permanent foothold for anyone but the greenskins.

I guess they could do something if they reorganize the Death Pass to focus more on the east section, then make a Northern Badlands province with Iron Rock as the capital, add Valaya's Sorrow and another settlement(maybe west of Iron Rock). Karag Dron could be part of Northern Badlands or it could be added to the Silver Road, although my first choice would've been Mount Grimfang(Silverspear) with a path leading to it rather than Silver Road cutting off into the mountains.

I think the main problems are lack of settlements and Red Fangs and Karak Azul having too many settlements under them atm. I think that will change soon so there'll be more fighting.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    Crossil said:

I didn't touch that as there aren't that many settlements there that I could find to name these places after, in fact I think the ones that are there are made up by CA, barring Ekrund itself. The only specific place there is Giant Stomping Grounds south of Ekrund and Dragonback Mountains. The only unnamed settlement I added is the western settlement in Marshes of Madness and even that was something I wasn't sure I should do in the first place.

Basically, I'm not sure how to divide the place nor am I sure what to name those locations. Since I like to have those names in these presentations I left Western Badlands unchanged. I guess you could make Dragonback Mountains separate but at least the way I do it I didn't see how I could do it.

I am getting some new ideas on how to divide the map though, so I might make a second map with these ideas.

I guess they could do something if they reorganize the Death Pass to focus more on the east section, then make a Northern Badlands province with Iron Rock as the capital, add Valaya's Sorrow and another settlement(maybe west of Iron Rock). Karag Dron could be part of Northern Badlands or it could be added to the Silver Road, although my first choice would've been Mount Grimfang(Silverspear) with a path leading to it rather than Silver Road cutting off into the mountains.

I think the main problems are lack of settlements and Red Fangs and Karak Azul having too many settlements under them atm. I think that will change soon so there'll be more fighting.
    If lack of names are a problem, perhaps you could use tribe names for certain places? After all, most tribes keep their names even when absorbed by a bigger Waaagh!!!, so it could work. Splitting up red fangs and Karak Azul sounds like a good idea. Perhaps adding some minor skaven there would help, creating more war and tension in the area. That way neither dwarfs nor greenskins gain an upperhand from more factions, while the skaven by themselves would still be too weak to dominate.

Also, on a sidenote, I got an idea. What if greenskins, in order to represent their nomadic nature, had different kind of main settlements? Namely, they would have mountain strongholds with walls, and plain tribal encampments without walls, but maybe a larger garrisson? It would make them less static, and fit with their nomadic nature, while also increasing the importance of strongholds like Iron Rock, Black Crag, K8P, and Ekrund/mount Bloodhorn.

Some places like the marshes of madness and Black pit would also be unwalled, but have other strong defenses instead. The marshes could maybe have some kind of heavy attrition affecting almost everyone, but goblins and trolls, while black pit would have a massive garrisson with arachnarok spiders and spider riders. In general, I would love for the map to be more diverse and represent all the fantastical places that exist in the warhammer world.
    edited December 2019

Crossil said:

If lack of names are a problem, perhaps you could use tribe names for certain places? After all, most tribes keep their names even when absorbed by a bigger Waaagh!!!, so it could work. Splitting up red fangs and Karak Azul sounds like a good idea. Perhaps adding some minor skaven there would help, creating more war and tension in the area. That way neither dwarfs nor greenskins gain an upperhand from more factions, while the skaven by themselves would still be too weak to dominate.

Also, on a sidenote, I got an idea. What if greenskins, in order to represent their nomadic nature, had different kind of main settlements? Namely, they would have mountain strongholds with walls, and plain tribal encampments without walls, but maybe a larger garrisson? It would make them less static, and fit with their nomadic nature, while also increasing the importance of strongholds like Iron Rock, Black Crag, K8P, and Ekrund/mount Bloodhorn.

Some places like the marshes of madness and Black pit would also be unwalled, but have other strong defenses instead. The marshes could maybe have some kind of heavy attrition affecting almost everyone, but goblins and trolls, while black pit would have a massive garrisson with arachnarok spiders and spider riders. In general, I would love for the map to be more diverse and represent all the fantastical places that exist in the warhammer world.
    I technically did use one of the names, that is Skull Crag, from a Greenskin tribe because I didn't have an idea on what the overarching area could be called. Otherwise I did find a map with a couple more locations over in the west so we'll see.

The idea about Greenskin hordes, honestly, I don't know how CA could do stuff. It varies so much I don't really discuss it too deep. They could make different areas correspond to different variety of Greenskins, so that you gain better bonuses to specific type depending on how much of their home turf you hold. Badlands and parts of Lustria for Savage Orcs, Dark Lands for Black Orcs, World's Edge and some other mountains or grasslands for garden variety orcs and goblins, some mountains for Night Goblins(especially K8P), some forests for Forest Goblins, etc.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    edited December 2019
    Alright, now I ended up reworking the entirety of the Badlands and adjoining mountains.

So the changes all together are:

Marshes of Madness(new province):
    -Morgheim/Mourkain(new north settlement)
    -Floating Village(new east settlement)
    -???(new west settlement, no idea about the name or if it's even needed)

East Badlands(reworked):
    -Karak Azgal
    -Crooked Fang Fort
    -Dringorackaz(moved far west)
    -Wyvern Cliffs(new southwest settlement)

Eight Peaks(newly constructed):
    -City of Pillars(renamed, maybe the other way around or the old or another name)
    -Karag Nar(new east settlement)
    -Karag Zilfin(new west settlement)

Skull Crag(cut out of Blightwater):
    -Misty Mountain
    -Kradtommen

Blightwater:
    -Deff Gorge
    -Red Cloud Mountain(new east settlement)
    -Barrier Idolz(new west settlement)

Southern World's Edge Mountains:
    -Karak Azul
    -Spitepeak
    -Fire Mountain(new southwest settlement)

Death Pass:
    -Black Crag
    -Black Iron Mine(taken from Azul)
    -Broken Peak(new north settlement, named after Broken Axe and Teeth Tribes)

Mad Dog Pass(new far north province):
    -Karag Dron
    -???(new east settlement, should be Mount Squighorn but that one's located up in Silver Road, could be moved and a new one added to Silver Road in its place)

Northern Badlands(new province)
    -Iron Rock
    -Valaya's Sorrow
    -Bitterstone Mines(moved east)
    -Stinking Geysers(new northwest settlement)

Dragonback Mountains(new province):
    -Ekrund
    -Stonemine Tower
    -Blackclaw Lair(new central settlement)

Western Badlands:
    -Giant Stomping Grounds(new south settlement)
    -Dragonhorn Mines
    -Gronti Mingol(snatched from Southern Badlands)

Southern Badlands
    -Galbaraz
    -Gor Gazan
    -Agrul Mighdal
    -???(coastal settlement, a starting position for Eltharion so maybe even an elven name for this, his citadel in the Badlands, I would keep it a minor settlement rather than a province capital to represent he's not a native here)

So, essentially, 15 new settlements.

All in all could've moved Red Cloud Mountain to Skull Crag, but the point was to show which settlements could be added and general ideas on division of provinces.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
    edited December 2019
    Amazing work, this is the badlands of my dreams! I'll pray to Gork (or possibly Mork) that this gets implemented, along with new units, LLs, and reworked mechanics for the greenskins. Waaagh!!!
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 7,425
    As much as we’re in need of more of the Mean Greens I’d hate it of there wasn’t introduced a few settlements of Skaven to the World’s Edge Mountains.

As glad as I am that the Crookback Skaven have been added that lone settlement (or do they have more in those mountains that I’m just not aware of?) is not enough.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
    edited December 2019
    RikRiorik said:

As much as we’re in need of more of the Mean Greens I’d hate it of there wasn’t introduced a few settlements of Skaven to the World’s Edge Mountains.

As glad as I am that the Crookback Skaven have been added that lone settlement (or do they have more in those mountains that I’m just not aware of?) is not enough.

Now that Eight Peaks are divided parts of it can be held by a Skaven Clan, since I added Fire Mountain Clan Volkn can be added there, Mount Gunbad and Grom Peak should be given to a Skaven clan and Bloody Spearz should then be based in Karag Dron instead, Blackclaw Lair sounds like a potential Skaven location to me, perhaps Black Iron Mines of Death Pass could also be put under a Skaven Clan(maybe the one holding an Eight Peaks settlement)... maybe one in Marshes of Madness but that seems a bit excessive.

So, 4-5 Skaven clans can be added to the Badlands and World's Edge Mountains like this.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT