Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Saves keep corrupting since the last patch

Comments

• thepinkninjaukthepinkninjauk Registered Users Posts: 4
    Bah started a new campaign and was hopeful I'd be able to play that instead, come to load it up again today and same issue.

Anyone had anything other than the "verify game cache" message back yet?
  • FiftyTiftyFiftyTifty Registered Users Posts: 58
    They do the generic troubleshooting tips at first. You must provide save files, .mdmp files, dxdiag.txt, and the mods log in your appdata folder for Total War Warhammer II
  • Strats121Strats121 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Hey guys!

I'm getting the same thing. I've emailed Warhammer II Crashed and SEGA with the files.

Hopefully will have an answer soon.
  • CA_PeteEllsumCA_PeteEllsum Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 4
    Hello,
    Sorry about the silence, but the majority of the studio has been on holiday over the Christmas period.

If anybody could provide a broken save (without mods) it would help a great deal in tracking down the issue.
  • Temaer88Temaer88 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    Hi Pete,

Hope you guys had a good xmas break and can now come to our aid! :D

The linked thread below had links to a few different peoples' unmodded save games and even someone who has foudn the exact bug by parsing the save files. You may have seen this but i know there are a number of similar threads so this may help.

User named FiftyTifty has compiled a huge amount of stuff on this issue.
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/256932/crash-on-multiple-different-campaigns-on-ai-faction-turn

Thanks!
    I'm currently doing a Beastmen campaign to test for this bug. It'll take me a while, as I'm not exactly good enough to speedrun this. Completely vanilla with no mods.
  • CsmrccCsmrcc Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited January 2020

Hello,
    Sorry about the silence, but the majority of the studio has been on holiday over the Christmas period.

If anybody could provide a broken save (without mods) it would help a great deal in tracking down the issue.

Same problem for me: When loading campaign or exiting a battle to the campaing map CTD, and then: corrupt savefile

No crashes before with this game, 20 mods (compatible), i tried reinstalling everything, deleting appdata (this worked until next CTD then corrupted savegame), verifing local data, disabling mods, changing languaje etc, everything that suggest the sega web page.

Btw: i started 2 campaigns two days ago, with the empire.
    Here i send a broken log
    Post edited by Csmrcc on
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    edited January 2020

Hello,

Starting a vanilla campaign now to see if i can replicate the issue.

I recently tried a eshin campaign with mods and it broke after 21 turns even with fully updated mods :p

So going to see if i can replicate it with a modless game. (boy this will be interesting)

I forgot how used i am to mods ^^'
    Post edited by Laindesh on
    I've got a bit over a hundred saves on the Beastmen campaign. Loaded up to turn 51 so far, now I've got to load each of the ones after that.

Bloody hell. Is it possible to make a macro that does this automatically?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,143

I've got a bit over a hundred saves on the Beastmen campaign. Loaded up to turn 51 so far, now I've got to load each of the ones after that.

Bloody hell. Is it possible to make a macro that does this automatically?

You're doing a great job. Keep it going.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

You're doing a great job. Keep it going.

Currently at turn 142, with no crashing yet. And yes, I've painstakingly loaded each individual save. Manually.

For reference, It was at turn 116 that the CTDs appeared for my modded Wintertooth campaign, whereas it started appearing at turn 22 for my modded Skrolk campaign.

On a whim, I tried loading my Skrolk campaign's turn 54 save, which is when the save corruption became rampant. That crashes instantly on the same function inside Warhammer2.exe. This is with a completely clean install, with all mods removed from both the Data folder, and the Steam Workshop content folder. The save files are from before, when mods were installed

I then tried turn 53, which also crashed instantly, only reaching ~5% of the loading bar before doing so. And it too faults on the update_ui function call.

It's odd that it's the UI's fibre-threading being the part that throws the exception. Was the UI touched at any point between 1.7.2 and 1.8.0?

• LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    edited January 2020
    campaign 1 (unmodded): End turned with skarsnik in his start settlement. Just built a garrison and a army to spam end turn to 150. No corruption.

Campaign 2 (unmodded): dwarves. Played until turn 150 no corruption there either, i did crash once tho. In this campaign i did conquer territory.

old campaigns that did crash: Clan eshin and a dark elf campaign (cant remember who i played as and i dont have the save files).

Modded: All but dwarves seemed to corrupt eventually. No matter how many mods i used. It seems the game becomes far more unstable with mods installed for some reason. Ieven simple mods changing aversion or even simple two liner changing mods like the boosted slayers mod.

Atm im out of patience trying to hunt this bug down, but as said im pretty certain mods (evern small correctly made ones) make the issue much worse than it is.
    So there's no actual big culprit mod, but a bug with the engine in the way it handles mods. That's something, at least.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,143
    edited January 2020
    @FiftyTifty Saves that were created with mods won't generally launch without those same mods activated unless they are purely cosmetic. This is probably why you can't load your old saves on a non-modded build and possibly why CA asks for vanilla saves in the first place.

The other point would be that the saves are corrupted anyway, so won't launch however you try.

With that said, sometimes they will launch if the Enable All Saves function is activated.

Edit: Regarding the threading, wasn't the last patch the one that improved end turn times, presumably by optimising threading as part of the deal?

Edit2: I tried loading a couple of your saves and I get this for both of them.

Post edited by BillyRuffian on

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

Aye those are the modded saves that show the crash. When you look at the .mdmp file in WinDbg, it shows that the crash occurred due to the UI's fibre-threading.

I've still only the one campaign, Beastmen, that is unmodded. I'm going to go with it until turn 200 or so, then I'll try Skaven as Skrolk, to see if I can get it to occur as well. If it doesn't, this crash could very well be due to the new update breaking moddability.
    That sounds reasonable, particulalry as Skrolk was the one with which you had the most trouble.

As a I implied above, could it be related to the end-turn optimisations that CA did?

• diagonal_zerodiagonal_zero Registered Users Posts: 12
    @BillyRuffian I can confirm that CA may be right on this one. About a week ago I started a new unmodded clean campaign in legendary difficulty with Vlad. I finished it yesterday, around turn 173 with absolutely no problems.

It probably is mod related. And it may be perharps that the updateUI method just runs the entire turn in every campaign, mods included inside. I wonder if the logging can be improved so that if a crash occurs it clearly states that is mod related but the problem is as I cannot see the code I cannot say how.

The other think I wonder is if CA or modders can install tools like Sentry.io or Crashlytics that tells you exactly where the think crashed and why (I use both all the time).

I will do one last legendary campaign to confirm what I am saying here. But it really is a matter of how it is coded how easy is to debug something.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. (If there are any errors here, english is not my main language).
    @FiftyTifty could you please send me the list of mods you are using? I want to see wether I have used them too and try to see which ones could be having the problem. If you read about some of the last bug fixing mods like Celtik one almost all problems are related to some db files used to save campaign state info. CA is always changing those and so a modder that does not know this could thing that everything is alright until it is not.
    @diagonal_zero if you look at my post with the spoiler you will see in the picture the mods that were needed to run FiftyTifty's modded saves.

I've also made a steam collection of the mods I used (has grown a bit since then). The only big mod is GCCM, the rest are tweaks to the game, no overhauls: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1921803189

It would be immensely helpful if we had any proper debug logging, so we could get an idea of which mods are causing the issue.
    edited January 2020
    @FiftyTifty

Execute (useless) Lords & Heroes
    The Mod Configuration Tool
    UI Modding Framework

How lucky, we only share 3 mods. So most possibly is one of those 3 that has the problem or the 3 of them.

Check if cleanly deactivating them (means deactivate them and clean their data from your computer files) fixes your problem, but is not an all solver because other mods may have the same problem as well.

If you have time try with those deactivated.

Tell if it solved your issue.
    edited January 2020
    If it is an issue with UI threading that would rather point the finger at the UI Modding Framework being the most likely culprit?

Edit: mind you, the Mod Configuration Tool hasn't been updated since October.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on

• akakevinakakevin Registered Users Posts: 3
    You guys are the experts here but the creator of the 'Execute (useless) Lords & Heroes' mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1887317037 made an update on 1/9/2020 which he addressed an issue which was causing corruption of save games. You can take a look at the comments regarding the exact issue he fixed. Just a FYI but might be some good info since two of you were using this same mod and were having issues. Best Regards.

@FiftyTifty

UI Modding Framework

How lucky, we only share 3 mods. So most possibly is one of those 3 that has the problem or the 3 of them.

Check if cleanly deactivating them (means deactivate them and clean their data from your computer files) fixes your problem, but is not an all solver because other mods may have the same problem as well.

That's good spotting. I'll give those three a run-through, and see what happens.

If it is an issue with UI threading that would rather point the finger at the UI Modding Framework being the most likely culprit?

Edit: mind you, the Mod Configuration Tool hasn't been updated since October.

UI Modding Framework is just one big lua script, with a few textures used for the UI's buttons and such. If it is a problem with that mod, that seems like it would be an issue with Lua not being thread-safe with the UI's new fibre threading.
    akakevin said:

You guys are the experts here but the creator of the 'Execute (useless) Lords & Heroes' mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1887317037 made an update on 1/9/2020 which he addressed an issue which was causing corruption of save games. You can take a look at the comments regarding the exact issue he fixed. Just a FYI but might be some good info since two of you were using this same mod and were having issues. Best Regards.

Aye, I last used mods on the 22nd, only resumed playing a couple days ago to see if I could get it to occur on vanilla, with my Beastmen playthrough. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind.
  • LewyoneLewyone Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9
    This can be good find . I also lost two campaings due to corruption to save games. And i use Execute ( useless) Lord , Mod Configuration Tool and UI modding Framework also . On Execute ( useless) Lords steam page user named N1X posted on 2 January: "This mode currently causes serious damage to save game files. I don't know how the patch from the CA affected to mechanism, but I recommend not using this mod right now" . I will disable this mod and load pevious save games to see if this mod can cause this damage.
  • Lampros73Lampros73 Registered Users Posts: 158

@FiftyTifty

UI Modding Framework

I use all 3 of these. They all happen to be very popular mods.
  • Lampros73Lampros73 Registered Users Posts: 158
    Please post as soon as possible if it is indeed Execute Useless Lords that caused the problem. I cannot play test at all today and probably not tomorrow either. Busy with other engagements, but I'd appreciate it if someone else can.
  • vonKukisvonKukis Registered Users Posts: 6
    edited January 2020
    I have the same problem and of all those mods mentioned above, I also use 'Execute (useless) Lords & Heroes'. Didn't check ME, I have this problem with Vortex campaign
    Post edited by vonKukis on
    edited January 2020
    I'm at turn 18 atm on Skrolk, with only The Mod Configuration Tool, and UI Modding Framework mods added. No save corruption in any of the autosaves yet. If someone could do a campaign with only the Execute Lords & Heroes mod, it would save us time in narrowing the problem, and save me from burning out on vanilla.
  • Strats121Strats121 Registered Users Posts: 3
    edited January 2020
    @FiftyTifty & @Lampros73 Have we had an update from the developers yet?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file