Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is it worth taking an RTX graphics card?

MaxiMichMaxiMich Registered Users Posts: 1
I collect pc to play total war. My question is whether to take a video card with RTX support? will it be in your games in the future?

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,095
    God rays are already in TW games. All recent cards can handle these, it's just a question of how much. They've been in games for years now in limited numbers. When setting that lighting or reflections option to low doubles your performance in a game, it's probably god rays.
  • IchonIchon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,065
    edited March 2
    How long do you want to keep the card and what is your budget? Ray tracing is still a perk and not necessary though it does make some games look much better you can turn it off and still run most current games at high settings. I don't think many games will incorporate ray tracing so heavily you can barely play the game without it for quite awhile- basically until 90% of the gaming market has RTX support in their GPU which is probably at least 5 years away if not longer.

Secondly games like TW are probably even further from using much ray tracing because of how battles are rendered. Witcher 4 or something like that- yes, heavy ray tracing and considerably more lifelike scenes but that is talking 3-4 years away most likely and keeping a GPU for more than 4 years it becomes difficult to play the latest games at highest settings even without perk features simply the computational power is still increasing by nearly double every few years.
    YouTube, it takes over your mind and guides you to strange places like tutorials on how to talk to a giraffe.