Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: Three Kingdoms Patch 1.4.0 – Mandate of Heaven

CA_EllaCA_Ella Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 336

The patch is bringing various bug fixes, new legendary characters and more – to find out exactly what’s included, read the patch notes here: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-patch-1-4-0-mandate-of-heaven/

And don’t forget, if you want Tao Qian as a playable character, you must download him from this Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180600/

Comments

• tuanphannhattuanphannhat Registered Users Posts: 43
    That's a lot of damag... I mean changes and I love it
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,456
    edited January 14
    Oh man, there's a tonne of great changes in this.

The new Emperor mechanics sound awesome. You can now become regent upon taking control of the Child Emperor (long time coming!), and he may even try to escape to another faction if your prestige is too low.
    Upon becoming an Emperor yourself, you also unlock the new Imperial Court, with a bunch of new ministerial positions.
    And the new Empire system and "Empire Diplomacy" options are great! Now, instead of an "implied" Empire with a system of vassals and military allies, you have actual subjects who you have some measure of control over.

The changes to Militia units and ranged projectiles look good, and the Metal-class units got some huge changes to make them much better at offense and be great at tearing through shielded units and breaking up defensive formations.

The Treachery Bug finally got fixed (hopefully).

"Fixed issue where when firing, the wrists of soldiers in Mounted Crossbow units were twisting 360 degrees."
    "Today's Headline: Doctors across China perplexed at sudden drop in wrist injuries, typically attributed to unsavory pastimes."
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,464
    Looks pretty good on paper, I really hope that the treachery bug is fixed for real this time.
  • mcar110mcar110 Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 440
    @CA_Ella are the new imperial and qiang units recruitable by all factions then? (Presumably the Yellow Turbans can’t recruit any of them since they’ve got their own roster update)
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Registered Users Posts: 1,739
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,065
    Next version looks interesting. Many new cool stuff.
    I like idea to have four new characters with each patch. Please, focus to unique guanxi characters in the future:
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
  • kk107kk107 Registered Users Posts: 55
    mcar110 said:

@CA_Ella are the new imperial and qiang units recruitable by all factions then? (Presumably the Yellow Turbans can’t recruit any of them since they’ve got their own roster update)

In video of patch they said New Qaing units were available to ma teng,han sui and said ma Chao for some reason
  • Zeues1992Zeues1992 Registered Users Posts: 264
    CA thanks a lot of the updates, many are needed, I really love the emperor mechanics just from reading the patches notes and will surly try them at the soonest.
  • Zeues1992Zeues1992 Registered Users Posts: 264
    mcar110 said:

imperial units for anyone who attain the rank of emperor, I guess they mean who contril the 3 seats of power,
    for the Qiang units, they mentioned in the YouTube video, that they will be recruit able by Ma Teng, Ma chao and Han Sui.

check 2:10

• Mr_Monkey_No7Mr_Monkey_No7 Registered Users Posts: 46
    My evening commute is lit.
  • Rasmus242Rasmus242 Registered Users Posts: 287
    kk107 said:

mcar110 said:

In video of patch they said New Qaing units were available to ma teng,han sui and said ma Chao for some reason
    Man, I feel bad for skipping in the video. Didn't know the one thing I wanted to know was there :P. Really happy about this as I worried it'd only be for the NPC of the Liang rebellion.

Overall, patch looks super nice on paper. Nice balance changes and lots of small juicy things. Really happy about previous free LL's getting some unique abilities to them also like Huang Gai getting firebombs.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,071

The new Emperor mechanics sound awesome. You can now become regent upon taking control of the Child Emperor (long time coming!), and he may even try to escape to another faction if your prestige is too low.
    Upon becoming an Emperor yourself, you also unlock the new Imperial Court, with a bunch of new ministerial positions.
    And the new Empire system and "Empire Diplomacy" options are great! Now, instead of an "implied" Empire with a system of vassals and military allies, you have actual subjects who you have some measure of control over.

Yes now when a character become Emperor then he would be acting more like an Emperor.
  • FedorFedor Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 166
    edited January 14
    Oh please CA, don't do that! I am very disappointed by spear and green units nerf. Spear was the main combat weapon around the world during thousands years. Sword and axe were a secondary weapon. I was so happy to have TW game that uses some historical accuracy. And now what we have?! After upcoming patch spear and polearm units would become only anticavalry support as in TW:W. But Warhammer is fantasy and CA is trying to do the same in historical game! Green/tree characters are the worst governors but very effective on battlefield. After the patch they'd become the worst of all in any role. Metal characters are the best governors, their battle skills are helpfull in the army aswell, their units are good line infantry. But after the patch they'd become the most effective characters type all around. What is the reason for such changes?! CA is breaking a good balance they made since the game came out.

Another thing I do not like is the nerf of militia units. They are already close to useless when player gets access to higher rank. CA is trying to create a professional army in the time of tribal warfare, where the armies consisted mostly of militia. All in all, now the battles of historical game would look like a spam of elite heavy swordsman. I think it is a mistake to turn good historical title into another fantasy game.
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,543
    Zeues1992 said:

mcar110 said:

imperial units for anyone who attain the rank of emperor, I guess they mean who contril the 3 seats of power,
    for the Qiang units, they mentioned in the YouTube video, that they will be recruit able by Ma Teng, Ma chao and Han Sui.

check 2:10

Oh god I hope not. That would take ages. The game is practically finished by then. I think and hope it will be available once you have pronounced yourself emperor and have researched the right tech.
  • nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 406
    @Fedor
    This is a strategy game. Good unit balance is much more important than your historical fantasy.
  • XVypeXXVypeX Registered Users Posts: 276
    "Diao Chan will only be available in custom battles after you have unlocked Dong Zhuo"

why design these characters and not have them available in campaign??
  • KirkwaldKirkwald Registered Users Posts: 947
    Fedor said:

Oh please CA, don't do that! I am very disappointed by spear and green units nerf. Spear was the main combat weapon around the world during thousands years. Sword and axe were a secondary weapon. I was so happy to have TW game that uses some historical accuracy. And now what we have?! After upcoming patch spear and polearm units would become only anticavalry support as in TW:W. But Warhammer is fantasy and CA is trying to do the same in historical game! Green/tree characters are the worst governors but very effective on battlefield. After the patch they'd become the worst of all in any role. Metal characters are the best governors, their battle skills are helpfull in the army aswell, their units are good line infantry. But after the patch they'd become the most effective characters type all around. What is the reason for such changes?! CA is breaking a good balance they made since the game came out.

Another thing I do not like is the nerf of militia units. They are already close to useless when player gets access to higher rank. CA is trying to create a professional army in the time of tribal warfare, where the armies consisted mostly of militia. All in all, now the battles of historical game would look like a spam of elite heavy swordsman. I think it is a mistake to turn good historical title into another fantasy game.

Purple units were useless prior to this patch. What are you smoking?
  • FedorFedor Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 166
    Kirkwald said:

Fedor said:

They were line units, especially when use formations. I had no problem to use them effectively. But if one need more role for them I can imagine the role of shock and flank units for them. Also CA could make them elite but very expensive to keep spears and polearm as main line units. But now the game will turn into another elite heavy swordsman spam as it happened with previous titles.
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,071
    Labria said:

I like idea to have four new characters with each patch. Please, focus to unique guanxi characters in the future:

Yea and Tao Qian is not the only faction leader who lacking a unique guanxi characters.
  • VarnigusVarnigus Registered Users Posts: 5
    nephlite said:

@Fedor
    This is a strategy game. Good unit balance is much more important than your historical fantasy.

I'm kind of torn on this. On the one hand, it's fun to play a game that's true to the historical setting. That's how you get diversity between different titles instead of getting the same game in different settings with updated graphics. On the other hand, trebuchets are a ton of fun to use. That said, I'm still on @Fedor 's side, since I like the role-playing aspects and would like the ability to retrace Cao Cao's steps with the resources that were available to him at the time, for example.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKRegistered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,384
    XVypeX said:

"Diao Chan will only be available in custom battles after you have unlocked Dong Zhuo"

She is also appears in campaign with her new art. In custom/multiplayer battles as she is part of Dong Zhuo's faction there she is only available once his faction has been unlocked in the campaign.
    Game Director - Three Kingdoms DLC

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.

XVypeX said:

She is also appears in campaign with her new art. In custom/multiplayer battles as she is part of Dong Zhuo's faction there she is only available once his faction has been unlocked in the campaign.
    What I mean is Diao Chan can't be deployed on the campaign map, similar to the Emperor and Empress? Me personally I don't deploy the Females on the battlefield unless they were famous for fighting such as Ma Yunlu or Lu Linqu (mods) but I just would think that any unique characters that are being made and designed would also make an appearance on the battlefield for players who want to see it.
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Registered Users Posts: 352
    edited January 14
    overall the changes - particularly to morale - looking good. its not uncommon to have militia units or spear guard fight to the last man. though the nerfs to mostly spear units specifically imo r unwarranted. the player already has an easy time exploiting cav units on ai placement. militia tier axe and sword should b just as bad.

one thing left that i wish came true is that ji militia and low tier crossbows b available to all classes. these should b staple units imo.

new imperial mechanics look spicy.
    overall looking very promising.
  • ResileafResileaf Registered Users Posts: 100
    XVypeX said:

My understanding is that this requirement is specific to custom battles, but she'll otherwise be available in campaign like other commanders.
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,065
    edited January 14
    Tayvar said:

Labria said:

Yea and Tao Qian is not the only faction leader who lacking a unique guanxi characters.
    Yes, we have more playable characters without unique guanxi characters in Mandate of Heaven. For example, Dong Zhuo in 182 have non-unique Li Ru. :|

Also, we have many non-unique guanxi characters in current version:
    • Wen Chou(Yuan Shao)
    • Yan Liang(Yuan Shao)
    • Yan Xiang(Yuan Shu)
    • Wang Xiu(Kong Rong)
    • Pang De(Ma Teng)
    • All Eight princes missing unique guanxi characters
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
    Resileaf said:

XVypeX said:

My understanding is that this requirement is specific to custom battles, but she'll otherwise be available in campaign like other commanders.
    I may have misread it then! my apologies if so!
  • ResileafResileaf Registered Users Posts: 100
    XVypeX said:

Resileaf said:

XVypeX said:

I may have misread it then! my apologies if so!
    To be fair, that sentence can be easily misinterpreted and could deserve a precision to ensure people don't confuse it in the future.
  • ma7moud_al_sharifma7moud_al_sharif Registered Users Posts: 352
    edited January 14
    Kirkwald said:

Fedor said:

never played mp in 3k as it is a mess so perhaps my impression on unit balance is skewered but purple infantry already r very useful according to my observations from my campaigns.
    Fedor said:

Kirkwald said:

Fedor said:

They were line units, especially when use formations. I had no problem to use them effectively. But if one need more role for them I can imagine the role of shock and flank units for them. Also CA could make them elite but very expensive to keep spears and polearm as main line units. But now the game will turn into another elite heavy swordsman spam as it happened with previous titles.
    sadly this is true through multiple tw titles. the one thing i liked about 3k most over other historic titles is that spear units there arent useless. tweaking morale is needed as militia tier ji infantry or spear guards keeping on fighting to the last men while surrounded and loosing is just rediculous. but weakening spear infantry specifically will make battles only easier as the player has to spend less thought on how to use his cavalry (with spear infantry eroding faster now). the problem with overpowered purple units is that the player just needs to get them into melee and passively profit positive margin by virtue of simply having them in melee against (spear) infantry as the ai is way less effective at correctly using cav in comparison to the player.
  • Jack_Lusted_CAJack_Lusted_CA Creative Assembly Brighton, UKRegistered Users, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff Posts: 1,384
    XVypeX said:

XVypeX said:

What I mean is Diao Chan can't be deployed on the campaign map, similar to the Emperor and Empress? Me personally I don't deploy the Females on the battlefield unless they were famous for fighting such as Ma Yunlu or Lu Linqu (mods) but I just would think that any unique characters that are being made and designed would also make an appearance on the battlefield for players who want to see it.
    Diao Chan as a character already existed in the game as a deployable character, as all characters in the base game were. Now she has been updated with unique art and can still be deployed in battle :)
    Game Director - Three Kingdoms DLC

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of Creative Assembly or SEGA.

XVypeX said:

XVypeX said:

Diao Chan as a character already existed in the game as a deployable character, as all characters in the base game were. Now she has been updated with unique art and can still be deployed in battle :)
    She only appears if you are Dong Zhuo though, for the Diao Chan AI event does she spawn in?