Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Just let me vent.

ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 1,706
My seemingly small 155mb patch turned into a complete re-download for Warhammer 2. Yes, I know this is not CA's problem and more of a Steam problem but this has happened about 4 times now but only for this game. And to make matters worse, my peak download speed is only 3.8mbps... It's the "best" available option in my area. It may just be completely coincidental, but this has only happened for my Total War games and no others.

*que sad song played on the world's smallest violin*

Comments

• WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,201
    Also what is this 155 mb patch you might wonder? Is it the 1 army only bug for most of the evil factions and lizardmen? which has been pointed out to CA by modders, which is a 1 binary oversight, which has been fixed by modders at once it was discovered?

No, it was MP Leaderboard Fix.

• KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 2,238
  • FonRestorffFonRestorff Registered Users Posts: 269
    Yeah. I got that one when me and a friend brought tw 2 on a ski trip (sun goes down early here).
    Had to play another game instead. Pretty ****.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 3,748
    I haven't had this issue with TW but man a few games have hit me with that on Steam. Luckily I'm on a gig now so it's not as painful as it used to be.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,905
    Inb4MovedtoRants
  • MasariusMasarius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 974

Also what is this 155 mb patch you might wonder? Is it the 1 army only bug for most of the evil factions and lizardmen? which has been pointed out to CA by modders, which is a 1 binary oversight, which has been fixed by modders at once it was discovered?

Yes, modding never caused any issues and every modder fixed everything right away regardless of other projects or duties.
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,201
    Itharus said:

Inb4MovedtoRants

Oy VeY aRe YoU tAlKiNg AbOuT WaRhAmMeR, bUt In A wAy I cAn InTeRpReT iT aS OfF-tOpIc?

Moved to chat.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 20,092
    I like this thread.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Registered Users Posts: 1,875

Waaaaaaagh Chief, indeed.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 1,706

I like this thread.

I like that you like this thread.
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,180
    Masarius said:

Yes, modding never caused any issues and every modder fixed everything right away regardless of other projects or duties.
    That's just sad. At least put a little bit effort in white knighting.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • Bogdanov89Bogdanov89 Registered Users Posts: 884
    CA has awful record with fixing bugs and oversights.
    Mods like the Community Bug Fix try and help improve the situation but some things are only doable by CA.

Its unfortunate that your internet speed is so slow :(
    Sadly valve is unlikely to put in any effort into actually improving their multi-billion dollar steam platform.
    Check out the Community Bug Fix Mod on the Steam Workshop.
  • EnforestEnforest Registered Users Posts: 2,180

Its unfortunate that your internet speed is so slow :(
    Sadly valve is unlikely to put in any effort into actually improving their multi-billion dollar steam platform.

To be honest, out of all other PC "platforms" I've used (Origin, Uplay, Bethesda Launcher (lol)) Steam still is the best when it comes to downloading/patching games, with Uplay getting closer (it's also pretty fast, at least when I downloaded Division 2 some months ago).

The issues I can think of are obviously slow internet speed and slow HDD, which also hurts the process a lot, and I don't think there is much to do with them from Steam's side.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,381
    edited January 16
    ROMOBOY said:

My seemingly small 155mb patch turned into a complete re-download for Warhammer 2. Yes, I know this is not CA's problem and more of a Steam problem but this has happened about 4 times now but only for this game. And to make matters worse, my peak download speed is only 3.8mbps... It's the "best" available option in my area. It may just be completely coincidental, but this has only happened for my Total War games and no others.

*que sad song played on the world's smallest violin*

Just because its small that does not mean that there could be quite a bit of disk activity in terms copying, uncompressing, updating, compressing then overwriting it all depends on which files have changed and how many pak files are affected.

I posted this yesterday, it contains CA's brief explanation of how it works and why they chose this specific steam method to update total war games.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/2575026#Comment_2575026

There's no real problem as such its just the way it is. Did you monitor the progress of the update, at what point did you run into problems ? Disk space can be an issue due to the copy of the affected pak files.

Steam progress display (this is todays 3K update which was bigger but TWW will be similar):