Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why is Vlad von Carstein so popular?

Otters007Otters007 Posts: 712Registered Users
He is beloved by the people, admired by the nobility, and feared by his enemies. He is a swordsman, general and wizard rolled into one. He is 'VLAAD!'

One thing I've noticed about Vlad 'the lad' (if you're British) or 'the chad' (if you're American) or 'the bad' (if you're Mannfred), is he seems to be one of the most popular characters in the entire Warhammer setting.

I am just curious as to why people think that is? What makes him so popular? Has he always been a popular character, or has he gained his fanbase in more recent times? I have also noticed that he has quite the following on these forums aswell.

Please explain this phenomena to me people! And what do you think of Vlad? Let me know ;)

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,806Registered Users
    No particular reason. It's more that Mannfred, the guy currently in charge at Drakenhof, is so hated.

And please nobody say that Vlad's particularly noble or caring, that's an ET retcon. He was just as powerhungry and ruthless as any other vampire before that.

• ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,795Registered Users
    Well Vlad might look like a monster from the outside, but he has a good amd noble heart. He would do everything to safe the people of the empire from the terrors of chaos and loves his wife Isabella so much that he sacrificed himself to save her.

The fascinating aspect of his lore is that he is a vampire and a good guy at the same Time. His story towards the End times is on a Hollywood Level in my opinion. He is a tragic and misunderstood creature that wants just the best for the empire in the end.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 2,575Registered Users
    He is the real, only and true Emperor.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,795Registered Users

No particular reason. It's more that Mannfred, the guy currently in charge at Drakenhof, is so hated.

And please nobody say that Vlad's particularly noble or caring, that's an ET retcon. He was just as powerhungry and ruthless as any other vampire before that.

Endtimes are Part of the Lore so it’s counts like everything else. Vlad is a good character and he revealed his noble intentions. It’s his Character Arc that makes him such a great character.

A bad guy turns good. A classic story.
    ArneSo said:

Endtimes are Part of the Lore so it’s counts like everything else. Vlad is a good character and he revealed his noble intentions. It’s his Character Arc that makes him such a great character.

He doesn't "turn" good, he's simply suddenly written as such, as if he always was like that when practically all showings before that had him as a cruel villain. That's not character development, that's just character replacement. Just like Malekith who suddenly was always the rightful phoenix king.

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 2,138Registered Users

ArneSo said:

He doesn't "turn" good, he's simply suddenly written as such, as if he always was like that when practically all showings before that had him as a cruel villain. That's not character development, that's just character replacement. Just like Malekith who suddenly was always the rightful phoenix king.
    All showings we had of him prior to this was from Imperial records... No particular reason taht they would depict him as a nice guy..

ArneSo said:

All showings we had of him prior to this was from Imperial records... No particular reason taht they would depict him as a nice guy..
    Oh, so the guy who raised a million undead (consent optional) and waged bloody and cruel warfare on the Empire to steal the title of Emperor out of a sense of entitlement was just misunderstood, huh? Let's also not forget that practically all the vampires he sired were utterly rotten people as well.

Nah, just nah.

ArneSo said:

Oh, so the guy who raised a million undead (consent optional) and waged bloody and cruel warfare on the Empire to steal the title of Emperor out of a sense of entitlement was just misunderstood, huh? Let's also not forget that practically all the vampires he sired were utterly rotten people as well.

Nah, just nah.
    Or he was just like any other power hungry lord out there, and used the means at his disposal... Also, the Blood Kiss is known to corrupt even the most noble of people. Just look at the Red Duke..
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Posts: 2,727Registered Users
    edited January 16

Because Vlad
    • was a ruler with a vision and the needed patience to put a longterm plan into working. Instead of just grabbing power and then waste it away like other "villains" that pop up every now and then.
    • generally loved Isabella, and she loved him. It is rather rare in the Warhammer World to actually have such a couple around. Even more so if one of them is already a stone old Vampire who turns his beloved (which at first ratehr was just a move to get the power & title that comes with the marriage) also into one, and she still sticks to him even a century later.
    • actually did care a bit about his citizens. Sure, he still saw them more as cattle but compared to other Vampires he actually treated them well enough and not just as walking wine-bottles you open up for fun if you are bored.
    • compared to the other Bloodlines also not only did build up a dynasty, he also carved out some lands for them they still rule today. The Strigoi Empire as counterpart would come to mind, but they did not last.
    It is after all rather sad, that GW seemed absolutely incapabable to set up Mannfred as the smarter, more powerful, more charming successor who actually would shape the state of Sylvania toward something better. While they used him during Storm of Chaos to prevail against Chaos Invaders, they made him cower before the Empire then instead of using the weakened Empire state to gain new territory or solidate Sylvania. Later they send him around as generic villain who kidnaps an elven princess and gets chased around half the world by every dwarf or elf who is in range. Then they tried to tie that story up with "Sigmars Blood" where Mannfred actually succeeds in doing something meaningful, just to throw that success literally away when they start "The (horrible) Endtimes". And from there it is downhill with "cunning" Mannfred, especially since those knuckleheads that wrote this atrocity also rather brought Vlad & Isabella back instead of letting Mannfred be the mantlebearer of the Bloodline.
    So the allure of Vlad kinda also stands, because his two successors basically were badly written, unloveable dicks who never stopped with their daddy issues and could never even really step out of their fathers shadow :(

------Red Dox
    Post edited by Red_Dox on
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Posts: 481Registered Users

Well, he was good enough for silvanians to preffer him over human rulers.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Rune Golem, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    Just want to point out that I'm currently reading the Vampire Wars trilogy and while Vlad is portrayed as a deeply charismatic character, he's still a pretty **** individual.

This rumor about him being a "good" vampire was just some quote mentioning that he's a better ruler than his predecessor (Isabella's father), which is not saying much when you consider that the guy was a worthless tyrant with a **** for gratuitous murder and torture who was universally hated. So in the end, Sylvania switched from an incompetent tyrant to a competent tyrant. Not exactly an achievement for Vlad.

Then, consider Vlad's choices as subordinates. Just to name two of them, Konrad was an insane bloodthirsty psychopath even before he turned into a vampire, and we all know how Mannfred turned out. Conclusion: Vlad does not have an eye for quality henchmen.

As to why Vlad himself is popular, well it's because he's the "OG" Vampire Count, the main dude, the head honcho, the big daddy. He's one of the most powerful Vampire in existence and he's an awesome and likeable anti-hero character, while Mannfred is just a douche.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,486Registered Users

Well, he was good enough for silvanians to preffer him over human rulers.
    They don't know any better. They've been ruled by tyrants and undead bloodsuckers for centuries. Vlad is the least worse, that does not make him good.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,394Registered Users
    I seem to remember (might be completely off on this, or it might be some odd retcon) that one of the reasons that Vlad launched his bid for the Empire - as well as his desire for power - was a recognition that the Empire could not stand against Chaos, and a belief that he could do a better job.

Is this mentioned anywhere in the lore or am I just talking nonsense :lol:
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 177Registered Users
    He's the warhammer world's version of bram stoker's dracula. Why is dracula popular you might aswell ask.
  • Otters007Otters007 Posts: 712Registered Users
    edited January 16
    It's a funny one, in the vampire wars trilogy he is portrayed as an evil villain, charismatic but downright cruel.

In the end times, he comes across as honourable and basically a hero. I recall reading one time that he ignored Nagash's orders and gathered an army to help the Empire when Chaos attacked.

He also seemed to recognise that after the end times, a war between the living and the dead was inevitable, and Vlad seemed to be leaning towards supporting the living in any potential future conflict.
    Goatforce said:

I seem to remember (might be completely off on this, or it might be some odd retcon) that one of the reasons that Vlad launched his bid for the Empire - as well as his desire for power - was a recognition that the Empire could not stand against Chaos, and a belief that he could do a better job.

Is this mentioned anywhere in the lore or am I just talking nonsense :lol:

That does sound familiar. In any event, I remember reading one of the end times books, and this female vampire (can't remember her name) was thinking that the world would not be in the mess it was if Vlad was on the imperial throne.

A united Empire supported by the undead does sound like a damn strong prospect. If it wouldn't stop Chaos, it would at the very least delay them for a long time.
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Posts: 1,138Registered Users
    I didn't know he was (or became) a goody-two-shoes in the lore, that's actually pretty lame. I want my bad guys to be bad.

In the game I just found it immensely fun to play him and Isabella - Vampire Counts are awesome in general, and Isabella had those great buffs to Vargheists and Fell Bats. In my campaign her whole army was just flying units and it was glorious. I think they have removed that with the skills update a while back, though :(

I don't hate Mannfred but his overwrought speaking style is a bit ridiculous.

I didn't know he was (or became) a goody-two-shoes in the lore, that's actually pretty lame. I want my bad guys to be bad.

In the game I just found it immensely fun to play him and Isabella - Vampire Counts are awesome in general, and Isabella had those great buffs to Vargheists and Fell Bats. In my campaign her whole army was just flying units and it was glorious. I think they have removed that with the skills update a while back, though :(

I don't hate Mannfred but his overwrought speaking style is a bit ridiculous.

He didn't become a "goody two-shoes"... He just did not share Nagash's vision of an eternal undead empire.. Vlad udnerstood that once all living things had been eliminated the Vampires' free will would be next. So, he sided with the living in the attempt to stop both Chaos (priority) and Nagash (second). He didn't do it out of some misguided sense of altruism..
  • Otters007Otters007 Posts: 712Registered Users

They recently gave Isabella her buffs back to flying units :)

I would not go as far as to call him goody-two shoes. His honour and nobility don't take away from the fact he is a power hungry vampire.

I remember a chapter where Vlad spoke briefly with Sigmar and Tyrion and they didn't seem to like him very much :D
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,609Registered Users
    Personally I grew up on vampire stories, love gothic designs and lots of goth friends and on top of that get to play the closest thing to the original Dracula. Gold.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • brago90brago90 Posts: 373Registered Users
    Vlad is a popular character for the same reason that Victor von doom (Marvel character) is popular.

He is a `` villain '' in search of social power (he wants to be the big boss of human society) and believes that the best thing for the world is that he has that position. And their actions promote the possibility that it is true.
    It is what subconsciously every man desires to be powerful, brave, loved, etc.

"It is better to be governed by a competent tyrant than by a useless president."

There is also the issue that is good for vampire standards, but the only vampire that we might really consider good in Warhammer is Ulrika and maybe Aborash. It seems that the only vampires that can overcome the vampiric corruption are those who never wanted to be vampires and were forced to be.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,319Registered Users
    There are all sorts of contributing factor, but in the end, no one really... nose...

***BAZINGA!***
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • VildvargVildvarg Posts: 171Registered Users
    Sephlock said:

There are all sorts of contributing factor, but in the end, no one really... nose...

***BAZINGA!***

Do the forum rules allow me to flag for abuse that I had to read that?
    edited January 16
    brago90 said:

Vlad is a popular character for the same reason that Victor von doom (Marvel character) is popular.

He is a `` villain '' in search of social power (he wants to be the big boss of human society) and believes that the best thing for the world is that he has that position. And their actions promote the possibility that it is true.
    It is what subconsciously every man desires to be powerful, brave, loved, etc.

So nothing original then. A stock motive for a stock villain.

• AnedonAnedon Posts: 135Registered Users
    Vlad is mainly liked by people who want to have their cake and eat it too. Because he offers both a darkly edgy vampire Lord, but also can be played as a somewhat good, or at least well intentioned, guy.
  • ChristianT82ChristianT82 Posts: 63Registered Users
    Vlad =Dracula
    Dracula is one of my favorite character in popculture
    Dracula was a fiend with no charisma in the original novel. He was butt-ugly too with an unibrow, a long pointy nose, bad breath and hairy palms.

The pop-culture image of Dracula is not congruent with that.

• ChristianT82ChristianT82 Posts: 63Registered Users

Dracula was a fiend with no charisma in the original novel. He was butt-ugly too with an unibrow, a long pointy nose, bad breath and hairy palms.

I know this. There are many incarnations of Dracula since the novel. in films and games. Christopher Lee do not look much like the Dracula in the novel most of the time.

No? The Original Count Dracula was described as a charismatic and handsome... This was a departure from how usual Eastern European vampires were depicted (they resembled the Strigoi more), but were in-line with vampires of Western Europe origin (which is Bram Stoker's origin).
    edited January 16

No? The Original Count Dracula was described as a charismatic and handsome... This was a departure from how usual Eastern European vampires were depicted (they resembled the Strigoi more), but were in-line with vampires of Western Europe origin (which is Bram Stoker's origin).
    I can tell immediately you never read the original novel because NOPE! Novel Dracula is not charismatic in the least. You base your Dracula image on the movies which made him more suave, that's for sure.

I can tell immediately you never read the original novel because NOPE! Novel Dracula is not charismatic in the least.
    I am pretty sure you haven't... He is described as having a HOOKED nose (a sign of Roman nobelity). He is described as having hairy palms at least once in the novel, but never in to what severity and it may even have been allegory, especially considering the nature of the novel's story structure. I frankly do not have a single recollection of a unibrow ever being described in the novel, though his beard is often referenced..

"Within stood a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere. He held in his hand an antique silver lamp, in which the flame burned without a chimney or globe of any kind, throwing long quivering shadows as it flickered in the draught of the open door. The old man motioned me in with his right hand with a courtly gesture, saying in excellent English, but with a strange intonation.

"Welcome to my house! Enter freely and of your own free will!" He made no motion of stepping to meet me, but stood like a statue, as though his gesture of welcome had fixed him into stone. The instant, however, that I had stepped over the threshold, he moved impulsively forward, and holding out his hand grasped mine with a strength which made me wince, an effect which was not lessened by the fact that it seemed cold as ice, more like the hand of a dead than a living man. Again he said:

"Welcome to my house! Enter freely. Go safely, and leave something of the happiness you bring!" The strength of the handshake was so much akin to that which I had noticed in the driver, whose face I had not seen, that for a moment I doubted if it were not the same person to whom I was speaking. So to make sure, I said interrogatively, "Count Dracula?"
    "

He is obviously described as a man with some quirks to his looks, but by no means as repulsive as you describe... Also, Dracula's appearance changes throughout the novel. His appearance grows increasingly younger and ever more handsome.. So please, go spread falsehoods elsewhere..