Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lizardmen vs Ogre Kingdoms

IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Posts: 461Registered Users
What do Lizardmen think of the ogres? Do you think they have encountered in battle? Are they part of the big plan?

Comments

• yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 1,448Registered Users
    Ogres were created by the old ones, just like lizardmen, elves, dwarfs, humans and halflings. As such they are part of the great plan, and lizardmen would not seek to destroy them outright. That said, if any ogres in any way got in the way of the old ones plans, the lizardmen would not hesitate to slay them.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 3,239Registered Users

Ogres were created by the old ones, just like lizardmen, elves, dwarfs, humans and halflings. As such they are part of the great plan, and lizardmen would not seek to destroy them outright. That said, if any ogres in any way got in the way of the old ones plans, the lizardmen would not hesitate to slay them.

This is correct. The closest population of Lizardmen to the Ogres is the one in the Dragon Isles, consisting of semi-feral Skinks and Saurus who have lost the guidance of the Slaan. They don't usually leave their islands, so unless the OGres go there on a raid contact is unlikely.

That said, the Lizardmen armies have existed for millenia, the Slaan have been know to teleport armies all over the world, and the Lizardmen will go to any lengths to recover a lost Golden Plaque, so it's not infeasible that at some point the two have clashed.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Posts: 2,138Registered Users

This is correct. The closest population of Lizardmen to the Ogres is the one in the Dragon Isles, consisting of semi-feral Skinks and Saurus who have lost the guidance of the Slaan. They don't usually leave their islands, so unless the OGres go there on a raid contact is unlikely.

That said, the Lizardmen armies have existed for millenia, the Slaan have been know to teleport armies all over the world, and the Lizardmen will go to any lengths to recover a lost Golden Plaque, so it's not infeasible that at some point the two have clashed.
    Lizardmen armies and Maneater Ogres travel all over the world. It is not unlikely that in their travels some Maneater Ogres ahve raided a Lizardman temple. After a few centuries or Millenia the Lizardmen send an army to retrive the stolen plaques. Contact between these two races are about as likely as all other races and Lizardmen.
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,133Registered Users
    I think it's said the Ogres might have been created by the Old ones to fight chaos but we're unfinished so became very primitive

Timpeyo said:

I think it's said the Ogres might have been created by the Old ones to fight chaos but we're unfinished so became very primitive

Ogres and Halflings were the two last sentient races created by the old Ones, but it is speculated that the Old Ones left before their work could be completed, since both races have certain... failings... that the other races do not have. However, they also both have an innate resistance to the influence of Chaos, which indicates that the Old Ones made them, in case of, or because they know of, an imminent Chaos incursion.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Posts: 27Registered Users
    with pity eyes i guess, ogres were just an unfinished and useless old ones creation.

Timpeyo said:

Ogres and Halflings were the two last sentient races created by the old Ones, but it is speculated that the Old Ones left before their work could be completed, since both races have certain... failings... that the other races do not have. However, they also both have an innate resistance to the influence of Chaos, which indicates that the Old Ones made them, in case of, or because they know of, an imminent Chaos incursion.
    Do ogres have chaos resistance though? Because among all the old one races, ogres are second only to humans in becoming fully fledged chaos worshippers. At least elves and dwarfs do it in roundabout ways, and not worshipping the great four directly. Ogres on the other hand happily embrace the great four, chaos ogres have been a thing forever.

Timpeyo said:

Do ogres have chaos resistance though? Because among all the old one races, ogres are second only to humans in becoming fully fledged chaos worshippers. At least elves and dwarfs do it in roundabout ways, and not worshipping the great four directly. Ogres on the other hand happily embrace the great four, chaos ogres have been a thing forever.
    They don't worship Chaos. They just follow the warbands around since they are a nice source of food.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Posts: 27Registered Users

They don't worship Chaos. They just follow the warbands around since they are a nice source of food.

they can get mutations like humans so i would say they do worship the chaos gods.

they can get mutations like humans so i would say they do worship the chaos gods.
    Any thing that goes North gets mutations. Ogres don't get them as rewards from the Gods. They simply get them from being over-exposed. Ogres don't really mind the mutations either, since as they see it, having another head means they can eat more, or having a gaping maw in their belly makes eating easier. They don't however, ever praise the Dark Gods for these gifts.

Timpeyo said:

I found this in the 8th edition ogre kingdoms armybook, under the headline "Chaos ogres":

"Being warlike and full of wanderlust many Ogre tribes venture into the Chaos Wastes seeking to test their mettle. There they fight the northern tribes and the fantastical denizens of that realm, expanding their diet to include highly unnatural things. Some Ogres even join a barbarian tribe, revelling in the destruction and the opportunities to glut themselves on the slain. Although somewhat resistant to mutation, prolonged exposure to baleful energies can twist even Ogres. Those who have spent decades in the Northern Wastes often develop extra heads or limbs, savage horns or strange grasping tentacles. Some Ogres even begin to worship the Dark Gods as do the humans of those lands. These Chaos Ogres are seen as a bit odd by their brethren in the Mountains of Mourn, but they aren't feared or despised. If anything, the other Ogres are perhaps a bit jealous -for an extra mouth or set of arms would greatly aid one's ability to eat more food at an even faster rate!"

So it seems we were both right, chaos worshipping ogres do exist, but ogres in general have some resistance to the chaotic energies.

Timpeyo said:

I found this in the 8th edition ogre kingdoms armybook, under the headline "Chaos ogres":

"Being warlike and full of wanderlust many Ogre tribes venture into the Chaos Wastes seeking to test their mettle. There they fight the northern tribes and the fantastical denizens of that realm, expanding their diet to include highly unnatural things. Some Ogres even join a barbarian tribe, revelling in the destruction and the opportunities to glut themselves on the slain. Although somewhat resistant to mutation, prolonged exposure to baleful energies can twist even Ogres. Those who have spent decades in the Northern Wastes often develop extra heads or limbs, savage horns or strange grasping tentacles. Some Ogres even begin to worship the Dark Gods as do the humans of those lands. These Chaos Ogres are seen as a bit odd by their brethren in the Mountains of Mourn, but they aren't feared or despised. If anything, the other Ogres are perhaps a bit jealous -for an extra mouth or set of arms would greatly aid one's ability to eat more food at an even faster rate!"

So it seems we were both right, chaos worshipping ogres do exist, but ogres in general have some resistance to the chaotic energies.
    I'll take that. :)
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 1,204Registered Users
    Ogres and Lizardmen don't have any major clashes from a lore perspective...however, it's not unfeasible to think that Ogre mercenaries made their way to Lustria on a contract and encountered Lizardmen there.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,870Registered Users
    Timpeyo said:

This was basically the story of Orks in an edition of 40k that they ripped and tossed backwards into WHFB to justify ogres as a playable race that's FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR different from all their previous lore.

Personally liked ogres better in their old form when they weren't any sort of unified race. Their current canon feels forced and lame. Also makes the fact that so many old armies could include ogres as kind of awkward. It'd be like retconning trolls to have a civilization and army list.
    Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

This was basically the story of Orks in an edition of 40k that they ripped and tossed backwards into WHFB to justify ogres as a playable race that's FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR different from all their previous lore.

Personally liked ogres better in their old form when they weren't any sort of unified race. Their current canon feels forced and lame. Also makes the fact that so many old armies could include ogres as kind of awkward. It'd be like retconning trolls to have a civilization and army list.
    Ogres aren't unified... What are you talking about?
  • AurawallAurawall Posts: 293Registered Users
    edited January 16

Timpeyo said:

Ogres have higher chaos resistance in mind and body. Their souls and bodies corrupt slowly.

But food is food and destruction is destruction. And ogres like both. They might join but it usually due to actual corruption.

In warhammmer, chaos corruption is an actual thing. You can follow chaos without being corrupted by it.

But if you stay in the Chaos Wastes long enough and don't die, you will be corrupted if you aren't a lizardman. And Ogres tend to be hard to kill and like going places with good fights.
  • rrinscheidrrinscheid Posts: 15Registered Users
    Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

Ogres definitely aren’t a unified force. They are more like individual tribes they fight constantly with everything including each other.
  • 10101010 Posts: 194Registered Users
    Who made the Firmir ?
    1010 said:

Who made the Firmir ?

They are either one of the races present on the planet before the Old Ones appeared, or a result of the polar gates collapsing and mutating other lifeforms. Considering the fact that the Fimir needs human females to multiply, I would wager a guess that they are the result of mutated humans.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 2,051Registered Users

1010 said:

Who made the Firmir ?

They are either one of the races present on the planet before the Old Ones appeared, or a result of the polar gates collapsing and mutating other lifeforms. Considering the fact that the Fimir needs human females to multiply, I would wager a guess that they are the result of mutated humans.
    I don't remember the source, possibly an rp edition or something similar, but I remember reading somewhere that the fimir are implied to have some daemonic admixture in them, like the beastmen of the southern wastes. Perhaps they were a race that barely managed to evade the lizardmen extermination campaign and like the Dragon Ogres, willingly embraced Chaos, twisting their very species in the process. Similar to the Laer in Warhammer 40K.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    Wyvax said:

1010 said:

Who made the Firmir ?

I don't remember the source, possibly an rp edition or something similar, but I remember reading somewhere that the fimir are implied to have some daemonic admixture in them, like the beastmen of the southern wastes. Perhaps they were a race that barely managed to evade the lizardmen extermination campaign and like the Dragon Ogres, willingly embraced Chaos, twisting their very species in the process. Similar to the Laer in Warhammer 40K.
    Possibly.. I don't think the Fimir history was ever really fleshed out by GW since they never bothered either giving them their own roster or including them in existing ones.. WHich is weird since to my knowledge they are actually wholly a GW creation.. (smell that copyright money!)
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,832Registered Users

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

They're not unified as a state, but I believe he meant "united" as a civilization/culture with their own distinct aesthetic, tactics, and army book. Just like the Greenskins.

I believe his point was that previously, ogres didn't really have that, they just sorta hung around other group and sorta mimicked or worked for them. A bit like giants now, or possibly trolls.
    If I remember correctly, the Fimir were one of the first peoples to start worshipping Chaos, and they were **** when Chaos overlooked them for humans - this lore is similar for Beastmen too.

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

They're not unified as a state, but I believe he meant "united" as a civilization/culture with their own distinct aesthetic, tactics, and army book. Just like the Greenskins.

I believe his point was that previously, ogres didn't really have that, they just sorta hung around other group and sorta mimicked or worked for them. A bit like giants now, or possibly trolls.
    But... Ogres have practically always been stated as one of the unfinished products of the Old Ones.. From as far back as 3rd edition... 6th edition and forward did not change that..

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

But... Ogres have practically always been stated as one of the unfinished products of the Old Ones.. From as far back as 3rd edition... 6th edition and forward did not change that..
    No? But prior to 6th edition they had no verified kingdoms and armies and cultural artifacts of their own, if you will.

Again, not my point, I'm just putting it the way I think he meant it.
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Posts: 340Registered Users

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

I have a hard time now believing anything you claim because of how deliberately disingenuous you’ve been in other threads.

So even when the above statement LOOKS correct, you have proven yourself an inaccurate, non-expert completely comfortable peddling lies in this padded environment.

In short, you’ve lost your credibility

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

No? But prior to 6th edition they had no verified kingdoms and armies and cultural artifacts of their own, if you will.

I guess 6th edition did cut out chunk (or entirely remove basically) of the Hobgoblin Khanate and a part of Cathay and made the Ogre Kingdoms instead.. But Ogres obviously always had to come from "somewhere". Without being certain, I am fairly sure that the Orks of 40k being the result of the Kroks "regressing" without Old Ones supervision is a newer addition to the lore than the Ogre Kingdoms though.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 6,576Registered Users

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

I guess 6th edition did cut out chunk (or entirely remove basically) of the Hobgoblin Khanate and a part of Cathay and made the Ogre Kingdoms instead.. But Ogres obviously always had to come from "somewhere". Without being certain, I am fairly sure that the Orks of 40k being the result of the Kroks "regressing" without Old Ones supervision is a newer addition to the lore than the Ogre Kingdoms though.
    Nah, the Krork thing predates the Ogre Kingdoms as an army. There's a mention of it no later than 2002, and the first Ogre Kingdoms book was much later.

I think the idea of Ogres being the unfinished last creation of the Old Ones was floating around before then, though, but I don't recall precisely.
    Draxynnic said:

Itharus said:

Timpeyo said:

Nah, the Krork thing predates the Ogre Kingdoms as an army. There's a mention of it no later than 2002, and the first Ogre Kingdoms book was much later.

I think the idea of Ogres being the unfinished last creation of the Old Ones was floating around before then, though, but I don't recall precisely.
    I remember reading about it in at least 4th. Back then they had a special bond with Halflings (maybe they still do), in that they were basically two pieces of the same cloth. They both had ravenous appetites and they both had a heightened resistance to Chaos influence. But where the Ogres where slow, large, strong and brutish, the Halflings were pretty much the exact opposites. However Ogres and Halflings often became very good friends.

I know the Kroks have been around for a very long time, but have they always been the precursors of the Orks? I am not too well-versed in the creation mythos of 40k compared to WHFB..
  • Wargol5Wargol5 Posts: 1,292Registered Users

What do Lizardmen think of the ogres? Do you think they have encountered in battle? Are they part of the big plan?

In Warhammer, every faction clashes against everyone every now and then.