Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Must Have Additions for Warriors of Chaos Roster?

DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 3,943
Was thinking about the WoC army yesterday, what they have and what they're lacking. It's a fair bit. Some people think they might get a bunch of it in WH3, other people are still holding out hope for a DLC or FLC update during WH2. Either way, CA will have budgetary and time constraints and may not be able to incorporate everything, at least not at once.

So what are your must haves? If CA has a limited amount of resources to update the WoC army, what would you most like to see included? We'll structure it a bit like a modestly sized Lord Pack, to simulate what kind of resources CA might pump into the race:
  • Must have Legendary Lord?
  • Must have generic lord?
  • Must have generic hero?
  • Must have unit #1?
  • Must have unit #2?
  • Must have unit #3?
Remember, the goal here is not to list everything you want to see included. It's to identify your priorities, the things that you feel in must make it in if nothing else does.

Comments

• makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Egil Styrbjorn

Champion of Khorne

Exalted Daemon of Khorne

Chosen of Khorne

Skullcrushers

Slaughterbrute

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 2,963
    All the units they are missing?

Basically the Warriors of Chaos need all the units they are missing, otherwise their stunted roster will not offer enough variety for prolonged play..
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 3,943

All the units they are missing?

Basically the Warriors of Chaos need all the units they are missing, otherwise their stunted roster will not offer enough variety for prolonged play..

That wasn't the question. Again, the point here is to focus on your priorities in terms of the roster. Which unit/lord/hero options are most important to you, if you have to choose?
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,118
    Valkia the bloody

Skullcrushers

God-aligned sorcerors with their respective lores of magic (demons will bring these lores).
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,240
    One LL each chaos god (Valkia, Tamurkhan, Dechala, engrimm van horstmann)

One generic chaos warrior lord each chaos god with respective mount option from DoC

Sorcerer each chaos god minus khorne

Cavalry/air unit each chaos god (juggernaut, slaaneshi steeds, pox fly, tzeentch disc)

Monster unit from each chaos god (mutalith vortex beast, slaughter brute, bile troll, slaanesh ?)

God aligned Chaos warrior and chosen
  • DeathsDayOffDeathsDayOff Registered Users Posts: 479
    Everyone knows that he warhammer 3 roster will be the 4 chaos gods armies, but they won't add any new units, they will just turn the models, red, purple, green or blue depending on the faction, same for the legendary lords, lords and heros.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,739
    Marked units with unique aesthetics. This IS the theme of WoC in my eyes and it's currently missing.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,475
    Just open the Tamurkhan book and you have the idea of what I want.

But realistically I would say that Valkia, Galrauch and Festus are needed, unless Valkia is reserved for Khorne Monos.

Unit wise, just get some actual monsters that haven't been shared with other races. The Chimerae is most prominent one. Then something for each Chaos God, which won't really be that difficult. Also, I think that Chaos Warshrine was unjustifiably added to Norsca before WoC so I think those are mandatory at this point.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• SteamageSteamage Registered Users Posts: 702

Everyone knows that he warhammer 3 roster will be the 4 chaos gods armies, but they won't add any new units, they will just turn the models, red, purple, green or blue depending on the faction, same for the legendary lords, lords and heros.

From the demons of chaos are a bunch of unit new and the many in the lore.

And Valkia the bloody would spit in your face if you compare her with Tamurkhan or Sigvald.

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,661
    Marked units for each gods. I was so disppointed none of the Chosen or Chaos Warriors didn't have an aesthetic proper to each god.
  • korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 137
    its not really a matter of more LL or missing units, woc need a full makeover, ca need to push the reset buttom and start from scratch.
  • CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 2,963
    Legendary Lord: Egrimm van Horstmann. He was one of the first "big" models I ever got and holds a very special place in my heart.

Generic Lord: Daemon Prince. It is the only type of lord the Warriors of Chaos are missing.

Units: Marked units.

Most importantly I would want a "mark system" for the Warriors of Chaos faction, which allows you to recruit lords with different marks, which would upon and lock different building options.
  • Rasmus242Rasmus242 Registered Users Posts: 283
    I'm hoping they do something special and dynamic. If they just take the 4 different rosters and leave it like that it might turn boring. I'd love it if it was a mix of WoC, DoC and some collab between demon factions like that Khorne is more ok with Nurgle but hates Slanesh / Blue-nerds.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 2,710
    @makar55

Egil Strybjorn should be a Nosrca character.

@Draculasaurus

I was actually working on my WoC missing characters and units post this week, I've got most of the images done, I just need to write it up.

Personally I think game 3 WoC should all be 1 faction, with the ability to go for one specific god or go undivided (some new WoC Legendary Lords might be affiliated with a specific god by default and you can't change that) their roster isn't really big enough in every area to actually support a full monogod roster for each I don't think (unlike DoC).

Personally, I really want archaon to get a bunch of new Lord/hero options for his playthrough, his lieutenants that could be recruited in a similar fashion to Markus wulfharts heroes.

Archaon could get: From the Conqueror, Sigvald, Melekh the Changer, Valnir the Reaper and Arbaal the undefeated as his lieutenant lord/hero options for his everchosen campaign.

Kholek and Skaarbrand should be made into rogue nomad chaos factions with no god affiliations (they're both crazy heretics who kill friend and foe in the end times)

As for Lords outside of Archaons group Id love to see Gutrot Spume and his LH (Eogric the Vile) as part of a DLC against Grokka Goreaxe, giving us an excuse to flesh out Savage Orcs and Nurgle at the same time.

Also think Tamurkhan VS Elsbeth Von Draken DLC is highly likely and would be really interesting. Tamurkhan is a Nurgle champion who is inhabiting the body of an Ogre Kingdoms Tyrant. His side of the DLC could bring him, his LH (Kayzk the Befouled) Toad Dragons, Bile Trolls, Plague Toads, and Plague Ogres (reskin of Chaos Ogres with different stats).

Aside from those 2 packs, Dechala the Denied one for Slaanesh would be great, Egrim van Horstmann for Tzeentch, Galrauch the Great Drake (A Dragon LL that's also a spellcaster!) Scyla Anfingrimm could be a cool LL/LH (Hes a sentient Chaos Spawn) and Valkia the Bloody if she doesn't get in DoC or put in Norsca could be cool for Khone.

As for units, I really like the Brass Sisters (ex empire cult of woman Khorne worshippers) Mutalith Vortex Beasts and Putrid Blightkings will be cool.
    edited January 29

@makar55

Egil Strybjorn should be a Nosrca character.

@Draculasaurus

I was actually working on my WoC missing characters and units post this week, I've got most of the images done, I just need to write it up.

Personally I think game 3 WoC should all be 1 faction, with the ability to go for one specific god or go undivided (some new WoC Legendary Lords might be affiliated with a specific god by default and you can't change that) their roster isn't really big enough in every area to actually support a full monogod roster for each I don't think (unlike DoC).

Personally, I really want archaon to get a bunch of new Lord/hero options for his playthrough, his lieutenants that could be recruited in a similar fashion to Markus wulfharts heroes.

Archaon could get: From the Conqueror, Sigvald, Melekh the Changer, Valnir the Reaper and Arbaal the undefeated as his lieutenant lord/hero options for his everchosen campaign.

Kholek and Skaarbrand should be made into rogue nomad chaos factions with no god affiliations (they're both crazy heretics who kill friend and foe in the end times)

As for Lords outside of Archaons group Id love to see Gutrot Spume and his LH (Eogric the Vile) as part of a DLC against Grokka Goreaxe, giving us an excuse to flesh out Savage Orcs and Nurgle at the same time.

Also think Tamurkhan VS Elsbeth Von Draken DLC is highly likely and would be really interesting. Tamurkhan is a Nurgle champion who is inhabiting the body of an Ogre Kingdoms Tyrant. His side of the DLC could bring him, his LH (Kayzk the Befouled) Toad Dragons, Bile Trolls, Plague Toads, and Plague Ogres (reskin of Chaos Ogres with different stats).

Aside from those 2 packs, Dechala the Denied one for Slaanesh would be great, Egrim van Horstmann for Tzeentch, Galrauch the Great Drake (A Dragon LL that's also a spellcaster!) Scyla Anfingrimm could be a cool LL/LH (Hes a sentient Chaos Spawn) and Valkia the Bloody if she doesn't get in DoC or put in Norsca could be cool for Khone.

As for units, I really like the Brass Sisters (ex empire cult of woman Khorne worshippers) Mutalith Vortex Beasts and Putrid Blightkings will be cool.

Again, people, read the OP. The question was not "can you list everything you'd like added to WoC?" It was "What are your core priorities for the faction, and if you had to choose what would you add if limited to on LL, one generic lord, one generic hero, and three new units."

The whole point of the thread is to take a few minutes to think about what's most important to you about the Warriors of Chaos. What would you add if you had limited resources and had to make some hard choices?
  • LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 344
    Chaos Dwarfs
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 3,714
    I'm pretty torn between marked units to add the theme that is a big part of them.

Or skullcrushers fornthe actual roster need.

But the tough part about this is I think this army needs multiplethings to really shape them up.
    Nyxilis said:

I'm pretty torn between marked units to add the theme that is a big part of them.

But the tough part about this is I think this army needs multiplethings to really shape them up.

The thing is, there's a decent chance we won't get everything we want. Or, even if we do, we won't get it all at once. So assuming that, what do you prioritize when it comes to the roster?
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,475
    edited January 29

Nyxilis said:

The thing is, there's a decent chance we won't get everything we want. Or, even if we do, we won't get it all at once. So assuming that, what do you prioritize when it comes to the roster?
    Then you're skewering the parameters by being unrealistic about the state of game 3. Should Daemons bring their cav then Skullcrushers and Hellstriders are shoe ins rather than debatable additions. Not sure if this thus makes the idea of them being among the debatable selection and already removes it from the state that is WoC right now if they are as certain as that. Other than that Daemon Princes are also gonna appear in WoC and DoC so should they count too?

So we're at an impasse. Several stuff that could be considered as necessary is already more or less sure to come by simple addition of Daemons. There aren't really any notable WoC lord choices left when you add Daemon Princes, nor hero choices either. I guess you could make some sorcerers based on unique models that are lying around but that be it. Going beyond that would require standard CA extrapolation, really.

As for units, outside the two that really aren't anything special to add and shouldn't really be a debatable point.. Warshrine, Mutalith Vortex Beast and... I would throw in Bile Trolls just because there's no dedicated Nurgle unit as it is(if we count the Vortex Beast as Tzeentch).

As for LL, it's not worth debating it if you think each god won't get a representative.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,565
    missing from 8th edition:

- Chaos Ogres
    - Hellstriders of Slaanesh
    - Chaos Warshrines
    - Chimera
    - Plague Toads (Forge World)
    - Infernal Guard (Forge World) chaos dwarfs
    - Skullcrushers
    - Slaughterbrute
    - Mutalith Vortex Beast
    - Chaos Siege Giant (Forge World)
    - Bile Trolls of Chaos (Forge World)
    - Chaos Dwarf War Machines (Forge World): Magma Cannons, Dreadquake Mortars, Deathshrieker Rockets and Iron Daemons may be taken in Warriors of Chaos.
    - Chaos War Mammoth (Forge World)

Thats only the units you could take in your warriors of chaos army there is also tons of LLs and daemon prince as generic Lord

missing from 8th edition:

- Chaos Ogres
    - Hellstriders of Slaanesh
    - Chaos Warshrines
    - Chimera
    - Plague Toads (Forge World)
    - Infernal Guard (Forge World) chaos dwarfs
    - Skullcrushers
    - Slaughterbrute
    - Mutalith Vortex Beast
    - Chaos Siege Giant (Forge World)
    - Bile Trolls of Chaos (Forge World)
    - Chaos Dwarf War Machines (Forge World): Magma Cannons, Dreadquake Mortars, Deathshrieker Rockets and Iron Daemons may be taken in Warriors of Chaos.
    - Chaos War Mammoth (Forge World)

Thats only the units you could take in your warriors of chaos army there is also tons of LLs and daemon prince as generic Lord

Okay. So of those units, if you had to narrow it down to three to include, what would they be?
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,255
    For me the number one thing would be god specific chaos warriors. Anything else is really just icing on the cake for me. Otherwise I would love some of the big monsters and it would be weird if they didn't make the easiest addition chaos ogres.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
    @Draculasaurus

sorry its been on my mind alot lately.

Your question is kinda flawed in a way because if they give TLC to one god, they kinda have to even it out.

The main issue with the Chaos roster in general is that Khorne and Nurgle got all the love and attention, and even then, in WoC they have basically nothing except End Times units that the community is conflicted about.
  • wingren013wingren013 Registered Users Posts: 1,003
    Hellstriders

Skullcrushers

Mutalith Vortex Beast

Beefing up the cav selection and giving WOC an extra ranged unit would help them a lot.

As far as any LL's to be added? Vilitch the Curseling. Give us a caster LL. Either him or Horstmann.
    @Draculasaurus

If I had to pick the cream, what I personally find the most interesting and also what I think will be in WoC and not elsewhere:

LL:Egrim van Horstmann

LH: Crom the Conquerer I suppose

Unit 1: The Brass Sisters

Unit 2: Skullcrushers of Khorne

Unit 3: Mutalith Vortex Beasts

But again, there's the issue of god favoritism. Almost everyone is going to say Skullcrushers and Slaughterbeasts...because thats basically the only god specific units they made that are worth a damn.

GW really messed up and underdeveloped Slaanesh and Tzeentch IMO.
  • ArchRangerArchRanger Registered Users Posts: 100

@Draculasaurus

sorry its been on my mind alot lately.

Your question is kinda flawed in a way because if they give TLC to one god, they kinda have to even it out.

The main issue with the Chaos roster in general is that Khorne and Nurgle got all the love and attention, and even then, in WoC they have basically nothing except End Times units that the community is conflicted about.

This. The WoC is branched out amongst the 4 gods but trying to do a LP for them would be neglecting a huge chunk of their roster. Basically, a simple LP can't cover what the WoC is missing and releasing one that doesn't feature multiple LLs shows a biased towards a specific god or units. We have Sigvald for Slaneesh, I'd just like to see LL's added for the other gods like Valkia, Vilitch, and Tamurkhan.

The closest thing I could think of for a god-neutral LP would be:
    Galruach (I don't think he is tied to any specific god, might be wrong)
    Maruders and Horsemen with flails, Chimerae, flayerkin, and Chaos Siege Giants
  • ViroshVirosh Registered Users Posts: 59
    Interesting topic and challenge, I'll bite!

Before going in detail, my main wish is for WoC to get better identity for the various god dedications, so some liberties will be taken within the restrictions below! Wall of text incoming:

Must have Legendary Lord:

-> Valkia (or any other Khorne-related LL) and Tamurkhan (or any other Nurgle-related LL);

I know I'm already going past the restrictions given, but bear with me, there's a method to the madness.

Must have generic lord:

-> Slaughterpriest;

Will nicely fill in a themed Khorne choice, and be a direct opposition to Empire's Arch Lector; Must have a skill to summon/recruit bloodletters!

Must have generic hero:

-> Chaos Sorcerer with Lores of Tzeentch, Nurgle and Slaanesh;

Will nicely fill in a themed armies for the other 3 gods; Must open the option to summon/recruit pink horrors, plaguebearers and daemonettes respectively, apart from their unique magic lores!

Must have unit #1:

-> Pink horrors;

Must have unit #2:

-> Plaguebearers;

Must have unit #3:

-> Daemonettes;

Then you just split WoC into separate themed hosts, with re-color for the Warriors/Chosen based on their patron god (which is why we need 2 LL extra, instead of 1):

- Archaon as Undivided, throw in Kholek here as well.
    - Sigvald for Slaanesh
    - Tamurkhan for Nurgle
    - Valkia for Khorne
    - Sarthorael for Tzeentch

Once we have a clear god-aligned identity for WoC, we can start looking at improving general faction gameplay and objectives:

- WoC Undivided get a God Worship mechanic a la Norsca, with different bonuses and without locking progression once you hit the max level with any given god; Should make for a dynamic gameplay choices throughout most of the campaign; Also, allow them to capture any faction capital and establish a permanent stronghold in the area (similar to how Wood elves get unique building from capturing other nation's capitals).

- Hosts of Slaanesh get more bonuses towards spreading chaos corruption. Their agents will be able to establish secret covens of debauchery, similar to pirate coves/skaven under-empire, which would allow them greater strategic control over the map. Maybe with an "incite revolt" function once a building chain is completed.

- Children of Nurgle can gather any captured casualties as new converts, in a pool similar to slaves for DE. They also get a unique rite, that when invoked sacrifices those newly converted, and gives them couple of allied armies to terrorize and patrol only the region/province in which they were summoned, discouraging any easy re-settlement from the AI

- Khornate players get special "Kill this faction's lord" objectives for massive rewards in XP and gold/free units (similar to Alith, but without the OP assassin agent), which should drive them ever forward to seeking new battles and enemies.

- The Cabal of Tzeentch gets to collect powerful artifacts /books, weapons, exotic beasts/ from around the map, similar to TK objectives.

I know this takes "inspiration" from a lot of other races, but to me it seems like a good, "budget" way to get decent content for the poor WoC. Any other unit that can transition from Deamons of Chaos roster once game 3 hits into WoC would be bonus/much appreciated freebie!
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,118

@Draculasaurus

If I had to pick the cream, what I personally find the most interesting and also what I think will be in WoC and not elsewhere:

LL:Egrim van Horstmann

LH: Crom the Conquerer I suppose

Unit 1: The Brass Sisters

Unit 2: Skullcrushers of Khorne

Unit 3: Mutalith Vortex Beasts

But again, there's the issue of god favoritism. Almost everyone is going to say Skullcrushers and Slaughterbeasts...because thats basically the only god specific units they made that are worth a damn.

GW really messed up and underdeveloped Slaanesh and Tzeentch IMO.

On TT chaos warriors had very few god specific units, only hellstriders and skullcrushers (Khorne and Slaneesh). Slaughterbrutes are not god-aligned, and all other units had either no god or could be picked by all four(except that Khorne sorcerors don't exist). End times gives 1 more unit for Nurgle and two for Khorne, but still not huge amounts.

Also, I don't think god-favoritism is that much of a problem. We have had Sigvald since launch, with no other god-specific LL since. People have been fine with this, and while I would love chaos warriors representing all the gods I won't be too surprised if we never get it.

For demons though it's different, since all the units are incredibly god-aligned, for them there will probably be 1 LL for each god.

edited January 29
    @ArchRanger

galrauch is a Tzeentch Daemon inhabiting a Chaos Dragon, so they do have an affiliation unfortunately.

Any chaos character that's unaffiliated should be reserved for Norsca mainly, since that's the point of their faction.

The only real undivided character that could go to WoC and not Norsca would be Be'lakor and he's more of a DoC character in my opinion.

If we're going to get a DoC undivided then Be'lakor is the only one who can lead that, otherwise I guess he could be WoC.