Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tech heads please help! Graphics performance optimization tips

amon_chakaiamon_chakai Registered Users Posts: 224
edited February 13 in Technology
Greetings community,

Not sure if this is the right place to do it, and I know that there's plenty online on this subject, but I'd like to get an idea of what graphics settings eveyone here is using compared to their hardware specs.

I've heard that the Warhammer TW games are "poorly optimized", and i'm struggling to get decent perfomance on my laptop machine: HP Omen 15 Intel i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2666 SDRAM, and a gimped Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5.

I recently got hold of an 27 inch Asus gaming monitor 144hz with G-Sync compatability to go along with the Nvidia card. Aside from the better experience of playing on a larger screen, I thought the G-Sync compatibility would improve performace (V-sync disabled, Displayport cable connection), but it hasn't done much.

I'm still struggling at around 50-60 FPS with medium to high settings. I've played around with disabling shadows, texture details, anti-aliasing, etc. I get FPS get in the high 60's when the settings are in "potato mode", but I haven't been able to find a balance between quality and frame-rate that i'm happy with. The game stutters badly with mutiple armies on the battlefield at the same time.

With my specs am I expecting too much? What is everyone else using?

Also, my machine has a 250Gb SSD where I have Windows installed, and 1TB HDD where all my media and steam games are. Would it really make a big difference running the game from the SSD? Also, due to the small size of my SSD, I wonder if it's possible to have just Warhammer TW2 installed there, and the rest of my steam games remaining on the HDD.

Cheers!

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,141
    SSD will be a huge plus for load times, possibly help with stuttering. To move it, you just need to make a new library in Steam under the downloads section in settings. Then do the properties for the game, go to local files, and do the move.

A 1060 3GB is solid mid territory. Performance will be poor in large scale fights at high. Stuff like SSAO, SSR, texture filtering, and high levels of AA, can be very hard on performance. Lighting and shadows aren't great performers either.
    You may be okay with large texture sizes.

That said, you've got a serious upper bounds on frame rates, if you're expecting to get anywhere near 144, don't.

If you avoid ultra unit sizes, you can do better, but dropping down into the 20's, and even the teens in large double stack battles, is unavoidable. There's just way too many draw calls.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,507
    I use some mods that indirectly help with performance by removing certain things from the campaign map.

Specifically, the Vortex/ Ritual graphics effects are a big FPS chug, but a mod basically re-locates it to off-screen so the end result is that things are smoother whenever you scroll over Ulthuan. Plus, it means I can actually see the place and not be obscured by the clouds.

I also use the following mods:

No Dust
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162018864
    No Campaign Fog
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1291788801
    Less Campaign Fog
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1292541369
    this one is a version of No Campaign Fog and keeps some fog, removing it based on draw distance.

These are a bit more subjective, but in the end, I'm never going to notice the fog and dust when I am busy managing settlements or moving armies...but I WILL notice the lower FPS while I barely remember there's fog moving around.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.