Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Gongsun Zan Faction Resource

DrGoatDrGoat Registered Users Posts: 10
edited February 2020 in General Discussion
I would love to play more as Gongsun Zan, but there's missing a lot of progression cause he doesn't have a faction specific resource. It would make him so much tougher. He is military focused so maybe do something like Sun Jian or Liu Chong.

Comment if you want this to get attention.

Comments

• Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    In my opinion every faction should have their own faction resource, if I'm not mistaken Zhang Yan, Lu Zhi and Ma Teng also lacks a faction resource as well.
  • Ares101Ares101 Registered Users Posts: 156
    Please not. I really like Gongsun Zan because he is basically an enjoyable version of the Dong Zhuo faction. I am really annoyed by mechanics that force you to play in a certain way like beeing alway in the offensive to get that ressource high. I rather see more unique units and buildings to differ the factions. For gods sake, if i want to turtle, let me turtle. Have you ever experienced the loss of a leader with some of those ressources? Especially the Dong Zhuo factions almost collapses with that, no matter how happy every character was before and how stable your finances were. Just stupid. So no, i definitly don't want that.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,435
    edited February 2020
    To be fair, CA could give a bit of the Sima Yong playstyle to Gongsun Zan on top of what the warlord already has.

Aka :
    - Construction costs reduction (-25%) in counties where an army is garrisoned
    - A bit more faction support (+10) in counties where an army is garrisoned
    - A bit more reserves (+3) in counties where an army is garrisoned
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,850
    Although I appreciate CA's attempt to give each faction a unique playstyle in 3K, I don't think it's worked out very well so far. And given the recent trend, I'd imagine that if Gongsun Zan was given a unique resource or additional mechanic, it would be likely just be a recycled version of an existing one.

Several faction mechanics revolve around building up a meter that gives you bonuses and buffs when at high levels, and can sometimes be spent for immediate gains; Dong Zhuo's Intimidation, Sun Jian's Heroism, Zheng Jiang's Infamy, Liu Bei's Unity, Cao Cao's Credibility, Yuan Shao's Lineage, Yuan Shu's Legitimacy. That's more than half the factions in the game at launch whose "unique" playstyle are practically carbon copies of each other, with slightly different effects tacked on depending on the Warlord in question.

In Eight Princes the same approach was taken, with 4 of the 8 playable princes having a meter as their unique mechanic. And even then, some of those mechanics were just recycled versions of the original Warlords in the base game! The faction mechanics of Sima Wei, Sima Lun, and Sima Yue were recycled versions of the mechanics of Sun Jian, Cao Cao, and Gongsun Zan respectively.

Even in Mandate of Heaven, the same thing happened; Liu Chong and Lu Zhi share pretty much the same mechanic in collecting trophies/books, and Liu Chong's second mechanic is yet another meter with buffs at high levels.
    Liu Hong? You betcha' - it's another meter. Except this time you actually need it for something.
    Liu Biao? Nah, just slap Sima Liang's mechanic on him and don't bother with anything else.
    Tao Qian? His meter mechanic is so meaningless, you don't even have to do anything and it will still build up to the max.
  • _aassassinoo__aassassinoo_ Registered Users Posts: 134

Although I appreciate CA's attempt to give each faction a unique playstyle in 3K, I don't think it's worked out very well so far. And given the recent trend, I'd imagine that if Gongsun Zan was given a unique resource or additional mechanic, it would be likely just be a recycled version of an existing one.

Several faction mechanics revolve around building up a meter that gives you bonuses and buffs when at high levels, and can sometimes be spent for immediate gains; Dong Zhuo's Intimidation, Sun Jian's Heroism, Zheng Jiang's Infamy, Liu Bei's Unity, Cao Cao's Credibility, Yuan Shao's Lineage, Yuan Shu's Legitimacy. That's more than half the factions in the game at launch whose "unique" playstyle are practically carbon copies of each other, with slightly different effects tacked on depending on the Warlord in question.

In Eight Princes the same approach was taken, with 4 of the 8 playable princes having a meter as their unique mechanic. And even then, some of those mechanics were just recycled versions of the original Warlords in the base game! The faction mechanics of Sima Wei, Sima Lun, and Sima Yue were recycled versions of the mechanics of Sun Jian, Cao Cao, and Gongsun Zan respectively.

Even in Mandate of Heaven, the same thing happened; Liu Chong and Lu Zhi share pretty much the same mechanic in collecting trophies/books, and Liu Chong's second mechanic is yet another meter with buffs at high levels.
    Liu Hong? You betcha' - it's another meter. Except this time you actually need it for something.
    Liu Biao? Nah, just slap Sima Liang's mechanic on him and don't bother with anything else.
    Tao Qian? His meter mechanic is so meaningless, you don't even have to do anything and it will still build up to the max.

I think each faction have some unique features but they are playing with same style(except sima lun,sima liang and liu biao)
    I my campaign with sima lun i only conquered on Commandery.
    I achieved rest of it with espionage and deceiving in diplomacy.
    But in other factions it is just war and each faction have some uniqe features not unique playstyle.
    Also cao cao proxy war as AI is useless.He never insigate proxy war against powerfull warlords.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,872
    Rewan said:

To be fair, CA could give a bit of the Sima Yong playstyle to Gongsun Zan on top of what the warlord already has.

Aka :
    - Construction costs reduction (-25%) in counties where an army is garrisoned
    - A bit more faction support (+10) in counties where an army is garrisoned
    - A bit more reserves (+3) in counties where an army is garrisoned

This would be perfect, CA already admitted that 8P was a failure anyways so might as well take some of the mechanics, unique models and other assets from 8P and use them to improve the base game.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,435
    unique models

Even if I advocated for it - for now as mods - I reckon it's not a good idea as eventually CA is going to try to look and tie up the Jin princes with the base game. In fact it would be pretty funny if CA somehow managed to make Sima Liang spawn as a descendant of Sima Yi in the main campaign