Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

3k new mercenaries system seems very well suited for dogs of war

Wtfah114Wtfah114 Registered Users Posts: 352
edited March 2020 in General Discussion
In the new Bandit overhaul, they now have a "Mercenary Contract" mechanic, if the AI accepts the offer or if the player accepts the AI's request, makes you temporary allies for 20 turns while giving you a targeted enemy faction, and gives you a "fame and fortune bar" that you can fill up by attacking your target. The more of the bar is filled, the higher your reward when the contract ends, but if it hits zero because you didn't actually do anything, it'll instantly break the contract and be considered an act of treachery on your part.

Comments

• korradokortokorradokorto Registered Users Posts: 457
    dow as a full fledged mercenary faction its what i really want to see, but i actually believe both wulfhart and nakai mechanics are what was left from a discarded dow dlc.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 7,442
    yep, it would work so well for DoW I would be surprised if they don't add something similar.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,861
    That sounds perfect for a Dogs of War DLC. It would be a real shame if they don’t make it in.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Registered Users Posts: 2,332
    Gold hope they use that
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,413
    edited March 2020
    No way really? When did they implement that? That's almost exactly what I suggested they should do with DoW in my DoW Army List I made a while back ^_^

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/253180/dogs-of-war-army-list-part-1/p1
    Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,506

No way really? When did they implement that? That's almost exactly what I suggested they should do with DoW in my DoW Army List I made a while back ^_^

Something like that was my idea amore than a year before too:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/228034/possible-gameplay-of-dogs-of-war

That not even 3K has a mercenary system like Rome2 where you can hire other faction mercenaries in their homeregion seems to solidify that we will not see DoW only as a mrcenary system for the existing factions. Btw this woukd be horrible and watering down faction uniqueness and fill up faction weaknesses
  • _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,506

dow as a full fledged mercenary faction its what i really want to see, but i actually believe both wulfhart and nakai mechanics are what was left from a discarded dow dlc.

Yeah as own faction pls.

DoW has a pre 8th Ed armybook what makes in line with CD, therfore more right to implement than Kislev, norsca and VP. Would be a shame not seeing them in the future.
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    This seems to be a good idea.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Registered Users Posts: 2,663
    edited March 2020
    Good write up here from the 3K forum:

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/259627/bandit-rework-information/p1

Loot sounds a bit Orcish.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 3,939

It will be introduced along with the coming DLC, for the bandit factions.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 5,348
    3k is looking more and more like testing grounds for WH3 B)
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,137
    I'm not all that impressed.

Sure, mercenary stuff gets added but just about everything has been proclaimed as a possible basis of a mercenary faction. This is the most direct but I think this isn't that indicative of anything.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,952
    that sounds like step in the right direction for a potnetial DoW mechanic.

I would like to see unlocking from certain units base on contracts/treaties.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 28,078
    With the new 3K DLC comes also a rework of the bandit factions.

Bandits are now able to offer their special service to other factions. If a contract is made you have a temporary alliance with that faction that lasts for 20 turns. You now have to fight for your new employer in exchange for a big sum of money at the end of the contract.

While having a mercenary contract with another faction, you have to fill up a new „fame and fortune“ meter. You can fill it up with fighting the enemies of your employer, eliminate special targets or gift conquered settlements.

When the contract ends you can achieve extra bonuses depending on how high your Fame and Fortune level is.
    That level declines each turn and when it reaches 0, the contract is broken and you have to face massive diplomacy penalties.

I think this would also be perfect for DoW/SR.

So if you play Borgio and Miragliano for example, you could fight for other factions and help them to expand.

Such a playstyle would be really unique and quite interesting. DoW/SR shouldn’t be a map painting race anyways so this mechanic would be perfect.

This way you could also unlock cultural units like Amazons, Ogres, Arabians and Norse marauders. So you would have to fulfil a contract with a faction of a certain race to unlock special units.

What do you think about it guys?
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,192
    I think it definitely make sense if they ever add Dogs of War to the game, which I think they eventually will - and I would love to see it. It would be a unique way to play the game.

That said, we - of course - need to be careful of our expectations on something like this. I already see people saying in other threads that having this in 3K means they are currently working on it for Warhammer - and that isn't something we can assume in any way.

Again, though - definitely an interesting idea that I think they could make work in a pretty awesome way in the Warhammer series.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 4,861
    I need it.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 7,419
    Yeah, I imagined something like that.
    This way you could also unlock cultural units like Amazons, Ogres, Arabians and Norse marauders. So you would have to fulfil a contract with a faction of a certain race to unlock special units.

That probably should be more of a territorial thing and it shouldn't be DoW-only feature. Chaos would benefit greatly from something like that.
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 1,085
    How does this mechanic work for the AI? Do they use it as well? So will the faction still act like mercenaries if the player isn’t controlling them?
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,952

How does this mechanic work for the AI? Do they use it as well? So will the faction still act like mercenaries if the player isn’t controlling them?

its a update that is suppose to come and not yet implemented.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,037