Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Proving Grounds Beta

Comments

• JackydaiJackydai Registered Users Posts: 34
    A simple solution to Greenskin replenish problem: just make them able to replenish anywhere, even in enemy territories, and unaffected by climate penalty. Higher fightiness gives bonus to replenish rate. This also makes it more loreful.
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Jackydai said:

A simple solution to Greenskin replenish problem: just make them able to replenish anywhere, even in enemy territories, and unaffected by climate penalty. Higher fightiness gives bonus to replenish rate. This also makes it more loreful.

There’s plenty that can be improved in their roster but lack of replenishment is the single biggest thing that makes their campaign a nightmare to play
  • XiaaaaXiaaaa Registered Users Posts: 2
    A true VERMINTIDE! and a Greenskunk.

Since the proving grounds beta has been released, I played two factions (Clan Skryre and Grimgor the Blakc Crag). Those two games were played on Very hard difficulties.

Firstly, the Skaven was easier because of no more extra upkeep cost. So, instead of recruiting a 1 good quality full stack army, right now, I can spamming 1 army with the biggest "quantity" and another army with a full stack of warplock jezzails.
    This has been an advantage of Skaven right away because I can use the poor skavenslaves as the "meat shields" and use the reinforce snipers to volley at the enemies. Secondly, the enemies' aggressiveness was quite more decent. As, the Skaven has the "loyalty mechanics", this was very annoying for me. For when there was "no enemies" to fight with, I need to keep other lords "raiding" in other regions or do everything to keep their loyalty "high". But, when this beta came out, after I declared "war" on Carcassone (with this faction didn't have any ally), destroyed this factions, and King Louen confederated some of Bretonnians, then King Louen declared "war" on me. This made my lords got their rank increased dramatically fast because my armies needed to stand against an endless waves of those knights. So, what's the point here? The issue is the changing of AI's behaviour that get more focus on there own lands. Thus, they (The Bretonnia) will try everything to get Carcassone back to their own. These are going to be a very good point to increase ranks, slaves, fightiness, etc. The only bad point is if you were not strong enough, they definitely would chase you down until your very last settlement. Another thing for Skaven especially for the clan Skryre is the workshop is still OP, but keep it that way I love Skaven! Oh, one more last thing, make the workshops for the remaining Clans plssss!!!! and the varieties of the under-city such as Skryre has Doomsphere, but Pestilens has unending plague.

Next, we move to the Greenskins. This faction is also my favourites aside from Skaven and Dwarf. But, in TWW2 this faction has become and A-hole faction. For their replenishment rate is just horrible, their building is "too expensive" measure to the quality of "troops", and the fightiness mechanics is not good enough. If you compare to the Dwarf which needed to be overwhelmed, the green can't make a tide anymore due to their poor troops except for Black Orcs. After my experiences in playing almost 200 turns I could just dominant the Badland areas, down the way to Karak Zorn, and 3 Eastern new regions. To the top I can't win over Zhufbar, Ungrim, and Karak Ungor. Nevertheless, I need to thanks for the reduce settlement cost which make my campaign a slight easier, but still a lot of unimportant regions are still left blanks. Likewise Skaven, after I almost annihilated the "Golden Order", suddenly Karl Franz confederated with Gelt. And then, declared war on me. Again, I have the region of Pfeildof and Fort Soll and the Empire try to get their lands back. This was f*cking tough due to their army got the rank 9 units when recruited. But for my troops, I can't find a place to do as they do. The best one was at Blck Crag, but the army needed to have 4-5 turns to get to the frontlines which is very unfair. Moreover, the nearest region like Kark Izor and Karak Hirn don't have any Unique building to recruited high tier units. One more "problem" for the Greenskins is the Waghhhh! are likely to be "declared war" at. In about turn 40 I had a Military Alliances with Clan Eshin. But when I got the first Waghhhh! within few turns later they attacked me instantly. The Clan Eshin declared war on "the Waghhhh! not me"They didn't try to kill my Waghhhh!, but they attacked settlements nearest them. The funny thing for this was they were everywhere in my territories so, they sacked my buildings. So, what's really need to fix this faction.
    ----Firstly, increase the heal rate of both of the post-battle and campaign, furthermore, if possible create one more hero type that has the ability to replenish.
    ----Secondly, reduce the upkeep cost for low tier units such as goblins or add the "anti-large" for them.
    ----Thirdly, add more types of troops and remake the regiments of renown plssss!
    ----Fourthly, the waghhhh! must not be declared war on and will not decreased, but instead can be rebels from the host if they or host lost battle many times. For the rebels, they can replenish, recruited, and capture settlements.
    ----Fifth, make them have more stance such as encamp stance only (not the raiding encamp) or no need to adopt range for ambush or plus with the underway to be "underway ambush."
    ----sixth, more unique buildings for them to recruited high tier units.
    ----seventh, add some more habitable area for them because they are almost in every places and annoying as much as Skaven.
    ----Eighth, allow Greenskins to trade within their own races regardless the territories or ports.

Thank you!
  • CountTalabeclandCountTalabecland Registered Users Posts: 589
    edited March 2020
    The proving grounds patch seems to have gimped the Empire’s economy more than “modified it.” I have 5 provinces And economic buildings in all of them and can barely affored 1.5 armies.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,145
    Jackydai said:

Or just add Greenskins corruption. They spread their spores anyway.

Or conversely improve "Eat Captives" and "Raidin' Camp".

Just giving them free no-though uber replenishment is a poor solution - dumbs down play :-/
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,549
    spivo said:

Total War Warhammer is the most popular TW game, because you can make insanely strong characters....

He said it. This is why it's popular. Thank you for enlightening us.

/thread
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,145
    I think it's great because you can have amazing fantasy armies in one of the richest fantasy settings playing out war and conquest in the total war style.

To me characters are mostly just there for their red tree buffs and roleplaying purposes.

The whole characters defining the entire faction thing to me is crap when you have so much deep lore about the factions themselves. Aside from faction effects, they're just gravy - aside from niche cases where they ARE the faction, such as Settra, Orion, and the like.
  • KayosivKayosiv Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,748
    spivo said:

Total War Warhammer is the most popular TW game, because you can make insanely strong characters.

Go play some other TW game if you don't like it, and let those of us who enjoy it keep it that way.

This thread is so full of tips on how to cheese the game, that I never even knew about.
    If they bother you, stop doing it!

It's beyond my comprehension how people on one hand can complain that confederated lords don't get respecs, and at the same time people complain lords are to powerful.

If you want a harder game, stop abusing the mechanics, it's really just that simple.
    When sieging, stop putting whole army in one corner, instead of complaining that siege is to easy.
    When complaining about stacking ward saves on a lord, stop stacking ward saves on the lord.

Just because you can abuse the mechanics, doesn't mean you have to.

If a game's well designed, even if a sandbox, there should be no mechanics that can be abused.

Part of the fun of the game is figuring out the optimal way to do things and practicing the execution of that. If the optimal way is foolproof or boring, that means the game is poorly designed, not that people playing are "doing it wrong." You shouldn't have to self police because that's literally the job of the game designers, to make reasonable and interesting rules for their game that make it fun to interact with.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • BlacksphemyBlacksphemy Registered Users Posts: 590
    Kayosiv said:

spivo said:

Total War Warhammer is the most popular TW game, because you can make insanely strong characters.

Go play some other TW game if you don't like it, and let those of us who enjoy it keep it that way.

This thread is so full of tips on how to cheese the game, that I never even knew about.

It's beyond my comprehension how people on one hand can complain that confederated lords don't get respecs, and at the same time people complain lords are to powerful.

If you want a harder game, stop abusing the mechanics, it's really just that simple.
    When sieging, stop putting whole army in one corner, instead of complaining that siege is to easy.
    When complaining about stacking ward saves on a lord, stop stacking ward saves on the lord.

If a game's well designed, even if a sandbox, there should be no mechanics that can be abused.

Part of the fun of the game is figuring out the optimal way to do things and practicing the execution of that. If the optimal way is foolproof or boring, that means the game is poorly designed, not that people playing are "doing it wrong." You shouldn't have to self police because that's literally the job of the game designers, to make reasonable and interesting rules for their game that make it fun to interact with.
    I'm confused, this thread is about PG beta, are you for or against the changes or are you just waxing theoretical atm? It's okay if you are but I hope you have an opinion about the PG beta. I've loved it so far and I dont play for optimal efficiency, I'm more of an immersive role player who scorns (at least 50% of) cheese 😉
    I am for changes that allow for less exploits.
    Space Frontier is a sci-fi themed board game I've designed for 2-4 players. Please take a look and enjoy our free Print-and-Play at FreezeDriedGames.com

If you have any questions about tactics or mechanics in Total War Warhammer multiplayer, feel free to PM me.
  • MinotauroneMinotaurone Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 145
    Hi, finally with this BETA i can enjoy a nice game with Chaos AS CHAOS and not as a bandit that need to escape from stacks of Reikland and others (feeling like Attila Total War playing as Huns being hunted in Siberia).

Difficulty : Normal

Finally i can have fun, can't wait to try as Beastmen (i ended a High DIfficult Campaign time ago but no fun 488 turn of escaping al time wasted for loading ) i really hope Beastmen are enjoyable in normal campaign.

However as Chaos i awaken all Norsca tribes and they helped me, i finally have feeling to lead the End Times just like the IA do with Chaos invasion

Some screenshots :smile:

The last ting : Is the Blue Viper coming as playable faction ? (i hope so much) i see them near Nordrend, or is just a random thing ?

Kayosiv said:

spivo said:

I'm confused, this thread is about PG beta, are you for or against the changes or are you just waxing theoretical atm? It's okay if you are but I hope you have an opinion about the PG beta. I've loved it so far and I dont play for optimal efficiency, I'm more of an immersive role player who scorns (at least 50% of) cheese 😉
    CA has expressed that PG Beta is their ambition to improve the whole game mechanic, so I guess any advice that improves game mechanic is welcomed.
  • BlacksphemyBlacksphemy Registered Users Posts: 590
    Jackydai said:

Kayosiv said:

spivo said:

CA has expressed that PG Beta is their ambition to improve the whole game mechanic, so I guess any advice that improves game mechanic is welcomed.
    ...sure but just saying that you like reasonable rules and figuring out optimal play doesn't really give any feedback about anything. It could be vaguely positive or negative to PGs changes because there is no specific references

Hi, finally with this BETA i can enjoy a nice game with Chaos AS CHAOS and not as a bandit that need to escape from stacks of Reikland and others (feeling like Attila Total War playing as Huns being hunted in Siberia).

Difficulty : Normal

Finally i can have fun, can't wait to try as Beastmen (i ended a High DIfficult Campaign time ago but no fun 488 turn of escaping al time wasted for loading ) i really hope Beastmen are enjoyable in normal campaign.

However as Chaos i awaken all Norsca tribes and they helped me, i finally have feeling to lead the End Times just like the IA do with Chaos invasion

Some screenshots :smile:

The last ting : Is the Blue Viper coming as playable faction ? (i hope so much) i see them near Nordrend, or is just a random thing ?

Indeed Chaos has been a gangster rather than the godfather. It's not even close to the lore. If I'm designer I'd add vassal factions to Chaos which spawns from settlements it razed, and provide hordes of chaos marauders that flood across the world. I'd also add a blessing of the four gods mechanic where we recieve a special ascending elite army when we please one of the god enough. Now that is real Chaos.
    The problem with all nomad factions is that in lore they multiply to a horrible number like locusts, but in game they run around like partisan, always in fear of encountering legions of the dwelled factions. They are forced to do elite troop strategy in order to win against superior number of enemies. I think we should not give nomad factions too hard a time getting more tribes. It should be upkeep that limits the number but not popuplation, that way nomads can fuel war with war, a playstyle more loreful and coherent with our cognition. Nobody starts a Chaos campaign looking forward to play hide and seek in mountains, eh?

...sure but just saying that you like reasonable rules and figuring out optimal play doesn't really give any feedback about anything. It could be vaguely positive or negative to PGs changes because there is no specific references

The discussion was about the need for caps.

No AI army can defeat an army of 19 dragons. The fact that you can get 19 dragons pretty early in a campaign makes the middle and end of the campaign pointless and boring.

90% ward save that stacks with armor and healing makes lords invincible. While it's not possible to get it early game per say, the fact is that having a character that can take on 3 enemy AI army stacks removes all point of having an empire, economy, army, or research. It makes all the other game mechanics pointless. It makes difficulty levels pointless. Having strong lords is fine. Having lords who are this strong, especially when AI lords can't even hope to get nearly to this level, needs to be capped before it can reach this level.

If the game is to be improved, "some" of the freedom needs to be removed, or at least not available on the harder difficulty levels.

• spivospivo Registered Users Posts: 64

spivo said:

Assumes facts not in evidence. It's also completely wrong anyway because 3K's characters are stronger on average and are so right off the bat, but there it's balanced with every battle featuring multiples of them and the duel function.

I consider it the TW game with the worst campaign layer because it's so broken and encourages really stupid playstyles. At least PG is trying to reverse the trend.
    I chose the wording "make" and not "have", because you lvl up your characters, quest with them, do missions with them.
    Many people enjoy the leveling system, and seeing their lords grow from needing baby-sitting, to defeating armies.
    This is hard to achieve in historical acurate games.
  • Elder_MolochElder_Moloch Registered Users Posts: 1,799
    Just come to say "Hi" and thank you CA Devs for all last really cool updates, streams and current experiment with Beta. All of them seem very nice. Unfortunately, I play games quite rare now, but as soon as I can, I would try to give Beta a try (if it won't end till then) and try to provide some feedback.

P.S.
    I hope you all (Devs and forum folks and people everywhere tbh) are fine and safe and take care of yourself and people around you (directly or by keeping them safe) and hope people around you are in same safe and healthy spot/state and do same stuff.
    Don't know how current thing will affect games and TW:WH, but as a guy with weak health, I often stick to "better safe, than sorry" approach, so yeah, again - hope you all are safe and feeling good.

Good luck!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,962
    Kayosiv said:

spivo said:

What is this? Reason? Making sense? Leave the internet at once good sir/madam.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 27,650
    It's Warhammer. If you want to turn a character into a combat god you should be able to. That's half the appeal of the setting.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,103
    I am a long time Total War player (Rome 1) and played TWW since the beginning.

I'm having absolute blast with Proving Grounds. I don't think I've ever had this much fun since the early days of Warhammer 1. I'm at turn 170 andon standard/standard. I'm playing the slow game and have so many challenges from all sides.

Vlad still needs some fixing as he goes quick and Beastmen still need to get some longevity in mind but other than that the campaign has felt like the true Warhammer World. I have armies on all sides but I have enough to fight them but not dominate.

Keep up the great work CA and hope you and all your families are healthy during this time.

It's Warhammer. If you want to turn a character into a combat god you should be able to. That's half the appeal of the setting.

Even bloodthirsters aren't a match for whole armies. No character should be able to effortlessly kill 3.

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 32,585

That's utter bull. On the TT if you fielded a "combat god" level character you paid for it heavily by having to make do with a much smaller army at the same time.

Until this is in some way implemented here, I have no interested in "combat gods" whatsoever, they just further serve to cheapen the experience.

• AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 6,891
    edited March 2020
    The more I play PG, the more I'm convinced its entirely built to favour certain good-aligned factions, greenskins and skaven.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.
    Amonkhet said:

The more I play PG, the more I'm convinced its entirely built to favour certain good-aligned factions, greenskins and skaven.

You are just trolling now.

That's utter bull. On the TT if you fielded a "combat god" level character you paid for it heavily by having to make do with a much smaller army at the same time.

Until this is in some way implemented here, I have no interested in "combat gods" whatsoever, they just further serve to cheapen the experience.
    The lore is full of characters who essentially solo armies themselves.

The Sword of Khaine is basically one big "Use this to make your character OP" button. If you're talking "Optimal" the most optimal thing to do is download cheats and auto-win. If you do that though you can't blame the game for allowing you to cheat, you've got to blame yourself for cheating. This is similar; if using the big red "Make my character overpowered" button isn't fun then at some point that's on you.
    Hyped for TWW3.

CA! Cathay has the most potential of any race in TWW by far. More A+ material to design a race from than any other. You can make Cathay the best race in TWW history. I bolieve in you!

The Sword of Khaine is basically one big "Use this to make your character OP" button. If you're talking "Optimal" the most optimal thing to do is download cheats and auto-win. If you do that though you can't blame the game for allowing you to cheat, you've got to blame yourself for cheating. This is similar; if using the big red "Make my character overpowered" button isn't fun then at some point that's on you.
    Lore is irrelevant here because the lore claims any single unit and character to be the bestest and strongest ever, so it cancels out effectively and none are.

The TT balancing gives much better ideas of how strong characters and units should be in relation to each other and yes, if you take a "combat god", you end up with a smaller army because having a one-man army character leading a full army would be lame and boring since there'd be no need to strategize.

Also, if you want such characters, play 3K.

Lore is irrelevant here because the lore claims any single unit and character to be the bestest and strongest ever, so it cancels out effectively and none are.

The TT balancing gives much better ideas of how strong characters and units should be in relation to each other and yes, if you take a "combat god", you end up with a smaller army because having a one-man army character leading a full army would be lame and boring since there'd be no need to strategize.

Also, if you want such characters, play 3K.
    Lore is irrelevant because it goes against your point? No.

The TT offers a similar analogy. You can use a meta abusing list or you can use what's fun. Ultimately if you do the former and don't have fun that's your fault.
    Hyped for TWW3.

• AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 6,891
    edited March 2020

Amonkhet said:

****. Every advantage tomb kings had, has been given now to most other races. Same for Vampire Coast. Only Vampire Counts benefits slightly through free skeleton warriors/zombies with no army limit.

Go skaven, you'll field more units faster, more armies, with better gear and items, better 'coves' and far superior firepower and frontlines. You'll even have a better economy.

The advantage playing as tomb kings was supposed to have (as much as playing as any faction's advantage) was meant to be free units and easier access to magic items. Other factions can now outnumber Tomb Kings and can produce their own cheaper, easier to access and just as good magic items.

Until TK get a redesign to be in-line with other factions in PG and until Coast's economy is brought in line to be as good as other factions through their glaring flaw, then PG seems pointless.
    Albion would make the perfect Total War Warhammer 3 pre-order; with Hengus the Druid and Bran MacKerog as Legendary Lords.
    Amonkhet said:

Amonkhet said:

****. Every advantage tomb kings had, has been given now to most other races. Same for Vampire Coast. Only Vampire Counts benefits slightly through free skeleton warriors/zombies with no army limit.

Go skaven, you'll field more units faster, more armies, with better gear and items, better 'coves' and far superior firepower and frontlines. You'll even have a better economy.

The advantage playing as tomb kings was supposed to have (as much as playing as any faction's advantage) was meant to be free units and easier access to magic items. Other factions can now outnumber Tomb Kings and can produce their own cheaper, easier to access and just as good magic items.

Until TK get a redesign to be in-line with other factions in PG and until Coast's economy is brought in line to be as good as other factions through their glaring flaw, then PG seems pointless.
    So it's harder therefore it's pointless?

Sounds good to me. My main problem with TK was how ridonkulously easy they were.
    Hyped for TWW3.