Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is Alt+F4 STILL a thing??

StupidIdiotStupidIdiot Registered Users Posts: 2
Just played a game where I made a massive comeback by general sniping, which was probably very frustrating for them. However, seconds away from victory the game took a long pause and said they dropped from the game. It says I got the victory, but I'm pretty sure I went down on the leaderboards AND I got a message telling me that if I keep quitting games unexpectedly I will be punished. WTF?

Comments

• ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,982
    Yes, Alt F4/drop hacking/simply powering off the game/disconnecting internet are still a thing. They each work slightly differently, but they all still happen to some degree.

CA never stopped any of those things. The most they did was set it up where if a player REPEATEDLY disconnected/alt-F4'd then they'd take a point loss penalty, so most players can't spam it and still hope to climb. But they definitely can still viably use it to avoid certain losses.

In my experience, when it happens, the game shows up as a draw? not a victory. But I'm not 100% what happened to you versus what I typically experience. All I can say is that yes, these things are out there.
  • rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Registered Users Posts: 765
    They usually take a loss for it as well as accumulating points towards a disconnection penalty.

You will also get the points towards a disconnection penalty but it shouldn't be an issue if you play normally and don't DC yourself.

They usually take a loss for it as well as accumulating points towards a disconnection penalty.

You will also get the points towards a disconnection penalty but it shouldn't be an issue if you play normally and don't DC yourself.

They don’t take a loss for it. Just points towards the disconnection penalty.
    edited March 24
    Valkaar said:

They don’t take a loss for it.
    What's your evidence for that? If the game has registered your win (which it usually does in this situation) it's reasonable to assume it also registered the opponent's loss.

Valkaar said:

They don’t take a loss for it.
    What's your evidence for that? If the game has registered your win (which it usually does in this situation) it's reasonable to assume it also registered the opponent's loss.
    MOST recently it was just my graphics card over heating. I eventually got the fans replaced, but I was dropping 80% of my games for two weeks. No losses. Hella point loss penalties 😅😅 but no losses. This was during Shadow and the Blade.

But in a more general sense.... avoiding losses has always been the POINT of the alt-f4 gimmicks. I know there are multiple gimmicks n glitches and they aren’t identical. But the POINT was to preserve ladder position/avoid losses. Popular Twitch streamers would host ‘undefeated’ ladder streams where every time they almost lost they just crashed their game instead so they remained ‘undefeated’. I’ve watched those streams myself back in the day.

I don’t want to vouch for EVERY type of disconnect.... but my general understanding is/has always been that the point of the tactic was to avoid losses.

edited March 24
    ^ Most the DCs I get are towards the end of a game when the opponent rage quits. I usually get the win in those circumstances so I would assume that means the opponent gets a loss.

I have had some games where the opponent DCs and it's a draw, but these are usually earlier when the battle is still in the balance. This may be more your kind of DC, i.e. hardware or real life related. Maybe CA actually have an algorithm that tries to distinguish these from the alt-F4 crowd.
  • StupidIdiotStupidIdiot Registered Users Posts: 2
    Well, I think it just gives the victory to whoever is ahead on the balance of power. And if you're about even it calls it a draw. Just got drop-hacked again and it actually gave me a DEFEAT because they had sniped my artillery and couldn't do anything else with their 200-man skirmish build once I concentrated my forces.

Literally every match I'm going to win I get drop-hacked on... up to 4 in one day.

Well, I think it just gives the victory to whoever is ahead on the balance of power. And if you're about even it calls it a draw. Just got drop-hacked again and it actually gave me a DEFEAT because they had sniped my artillery and couldn't do anything else with their 200-man skirmish build once I concentrated my forces.

Literally every match I'm going to win I get drop-hacked on... up to 4 in one day.

That's usually what a drophack is designed to do. It's a 3rd party software that messes with the connection to make it YOU the one who dropped. Not them. So you take the loss/point loss penalty.

Drophacking is a little more rare, but a little more severe than a simple AltF4/Disconnet. MOST competitive PvP games have defenses built-in to where such programs either literally cannot be run while the game is open, OR are able to identify users who use such programs and such accounts are eventually banned.

Total War ^^ has neither as far as I'm aware.

While I do wish CA would implement some form of security against drop-hacking, I also don't think genuine drop-hacking is very common, at least in comparison to standard Alt F4 shenanigans. So if you're truly encountering drop-hacks four times in a single day (it's hard to tell exactly which type of drop-manipulation is taking place, but drop-hacking is the only one that I'm aware of that makes YOU lose, as that what those programs are designed to do....vs a draw or something else) then I'd honestly just say you were very unlucky or maybe queued up against the same player multiple times and should consider dodging them.

edited March 27
    Valkaar said:

. So if you're truly encountering drop-hacks four times in a single day (it's hard to tell exactly which type of drop-manipulation is taking place, but drop-hacking is the only one that I'm aware of that makes YOU lose, as that what those programs are designed to do....vs a draw or something else) then I'd honestly just say you were very unlucky or maybe queued up against the same player multiple times and should consider dodging them.

Or he has a dodgy internet connection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file