Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

THREE KINGDOMS Developer AMA

CA_JamesCA_James Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 438
Got any burning questions for the THREE KINGDOMS dev team?

We’ll be hosting an AMA with Game Director Jack Lusted here on the forums tomorrow at 3PM, so ask your questions now, and we’ll dive in tomorrow and answer as many of them as we can!

Comments

• LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,268
    edited April 1
    Why Liu Chong and He Yi are unplayable in 194 Campaign? Both of them still have own faction on map.
    Liu Chong is one of my favorite characters in the game. I'm disappointed that I can't play him in 194.
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
    Liu Chong and He Yi should be playable in 194.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,763
    edited April 1
    Oh boy *rubs hands gleefully*...

The added depth and complexity of the campaign is one of the best features of 3K, but some areas could be a little deeper. Are there any plans to rework some campaign mechanics, like how the player interacts with the Child Emperor and the Han Empire, add internal political intrigue between members of your court, or tweak/improve faction mechanics like Liu Bei's Unity, Yuan Shao's Lineage, etc.? And can we hope to see a path to victory in the future that allows some factions to restore the Han Empire if they wish?

Unit roster diversity has been a hot topic since launch, and there have been several ideas on how to expand the universal roster while also encouraging better roster diversity between factions, like tying certain units to geographical areas on the map for instance. Is this something CA is looking into, and if possible could you give us an idea of how you might do it?

The Yellow Turban factions' (He Yi, Gong Du, and Huang Shao) skill trees, retinue setup, and faction progression seem very muddled and a bit all-over-the-place, but more importantly they feel like a missed opportunity to create a faction that plays totally unlike anything seen in previous Total War games. Are there any plans to rework the Yellow Turbans at some point in the future, similar to the Bandit Rework?

I really like the idea of Chapter Packs (especially what they could potentially mean for future TW games), but I feel like they don't receive a lot of maintenance and are left behind and forgotten about as the games moves forward. The in-game transition from one Chapter to the next is often a bit wonky, although I understand in a sandbox game this is bound to occur.
    As 3K moves forward and adds new content, can we expect older Chapter Packs to be updated and brought in-line with new content added in future DLC, and for the transition from one chapter to the next to be improved?

Records Mode feels like the unloved stepchild of 3K and is practically never mentioned in patches, blog posts, or dev diaries anymore. Are there any plans to improve Records Mode, like adding more features to differentiate it more from Romance Mode, such as customizable bodyguard units for generals (like in Rome 2)?
    Post edited by Whiskeyjack_5691 on
  • nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 407
    edited April 2
    I really wonder if my feedback is being relayed to the development team.
    CA can share a list of known issues?
    Post edited by nephlite on
  • nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 407
    Is it possible to support unit skill hotkeys in the future?
  • randomGodrandomGod Registered Users Posts: 47
    Lu Xun, the best general of Wu, is killed by Sun Ce in AWB on turn 1 just like Xun Yu was killed by Zheng Jiang before the patch. How do you decide what characters are killed in a tutorial battle?
  • BAB1918BAB1918 Registered Users Posts: 237
    randomGod said:

Lu Xun, the best general of Wu, is killed by Sun Ce in AWB on turn 1 just like Xun Yu was killed by Zheng Jiang before the patch. How do you decide what characters are killed in a tutorial battle?

Lu Xun is 11 on Turn 1 of AWB.

You fight Lu Kang.

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,711
    Regarding unit sizes, will cavalry quantity size going to be the norm for future titles or only for Three Kingdoms?

Actually most of my questions are for Troy though...

Anyways, I hope you continually improve the Battles and Unit Roster of every faction.

From Records mode fan.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,041
    My questions centers on balance and design direction -

- Do you see the disparity between the utility of the strategist vs the other lord types as an issue (strategist feel mandatory because of flaming shot and artillery) and, if so, are you looking at ways to bring the others in line.?

- In many open field battles, artillery can make even the most lopsided battles WAY too easy vs the AI (on any difficulty) - it is just too easy to cheese the battle by stacking a few (2 or 3 is usually enough) pieces and routing the enemy before they get close enough to do anything. Do you see this as an issue? If so, what can be done to fix it.

- Similar question as it pertains to overpowered generals (such as Lu Bu) - at what point does balancing between the loreful idea of a superhuman single combatant and invalidating strategic gameplay lean too far in one direction or the other?
  • ninehright9ninehright9 Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited April 1

Unique Hero Employment Issues!!!!

Except for events, heroes should not be easily provided. and The geographical location and characteristics of heroes should be reflected more in the job market.

The easy acquisition of General Unique hero makes the game Easy and halts the user's interest. This can cause problems with game balance.

For example, in the Eombaekho Faction, the huang gai and zhou yu became the our team on the first turn.

It doesn't make sense to get into a gang easily in light of their character. In addition, this situation will reduce the difficulty of the Uhm Baek-ho faction.

This continues to be repeated in other situations.

Cao Cao's subordinate Hahudon also comes out in the beginning.

The situation is all the more surprising when Lubu becomes Liu Bei's subordinate. It's so absurd that Lubu is being robbed of his weapons by Liu Bei. Even here, the issue of weapon overbalance continues.

Jingung and Gosun become free positions. And they are too easily on my side. This causes balance problems in the game.

Because users easily get DLC's Unique Heroes, the difficulty of the game is reduced. And it's hard to keep the game interesting for a long time.

We need a system that naturally acquires Unique heroes according to the situation of the Three Kingdoms.

For example, if a country is destroyed in a certain area, major characters should exist only in that area. And unique heroes should slowly be moved from one region to another.

These features should be reflected in the user's job market.

I repeat, heroes should not be readily provided except for events.

Don't you intend to solve the job balance problem of this game?

p.s

I am a Korean. be poor at English Please understand me.
  • batgodbatgod Registered Users Posts: 2
    (I'm korean so I could make some gramatical errors)
    when playing three kingdoms
    in early game the cost of salary is too high
    just having historical members in the court make player bankrupt
    (this is one of problem in caocao & sunce's campaign)
    and this cause the ai to fire the historical members in the court
    so I suggest in early game when the government rank is low make basic salary about 0~25
    and salary goes higher when the government rank goes up and make 300 basic salary in kingdom rank
    Weapons should not be the center of the game!!

I love this game. But I don't play this game anymore. I was disappointed to see the new dlc.

The reason is that this game is a game in which weapons are central.

If weapons are good, there's no distinction between clone and Unique. General Unique(gaun wu) dies to level 1 clone with a unique weapon. and It's also a problem to take away the General's weapon.

When the foxes become subordinate of Lu Bei, they lose all their weapons. This will cause a bigger problem.

Overall, I want you to reduce your weapons attack. I want the Five elemantal phase system to be reflected in the weapons system. Let's reflect 60 to 70 percent of the general's ability and 30-40 percent of the weapon damage.

for example,

metal - melee attack rate
    fire - melee damnage(bace)
    wood - melee damnage(armor piercing)

It would be interesting if the General's ability was reflected in the weapon. and And I don't want you to take the General's weapon like an armor.

I look forward to hearing from you about my thoughts.

p.s

I am not good at English because I am Korean. Please understand me.
    edited April 1
    On the Battle Balance issue and the one-on-one fight!!!

You're under a delusion.
    We need to get this game in the right direction.
    I don't want a game like Jinsamguk fight.

We want each general to show his individuality as he leads the unit. As the general got stronger, the soldiers became powerless puppets

This causes serious problems.
    You've lost the essence of the Total War game.

You have to balance the historical mode with the romance mode.
    It would be better to have more skills to support troops rather than personal attack techniques.

And one more thing.

Low artificial intelligence makes it easy for users to just kill enemy general.
    It will be difficult to kill the enemy general in the following ways. And a more natural one-on-one battle is possible.

A one-on-one fight shouldn't just be in favor.

Adding this method would be more natural.

for example,

1. The fight one to one exercise must be at random.(When the near distance of two General)(In this case, the individual trait of the general shall be reflected.)

2. Or a one-on-one fight should take place when the general is attacked by the other general.(In this case, the individual trait of the general shall be reflected.)

3. If water hero is attacked, it would be good to have a random duel with the most near general.

And lastly, I'll add,

A record of winning a one-on-one battle in a row will make it more interesting. For example, if you win 10 consecutive games, you will be awarded a trait.

Depending on the win of a one-to-one fight, special characteristics should be added.

p.s

I am poor at English so it is hard to explain what I want. I look forward to your answer.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,274
    edited April 1
    - Patch 1.5 has seen a rework of the Forges in order to allow players in the north and the center to have a better access to armour and weapon ancillaries. Are there further plans down the line to widen the access to ancillaries ? (Such as allowing a building or a tech such as the Han "Horse Magnates" to spawn non-unique horse ancillaries).

- Furthermore ancillaries and traits spawning have been a source of complaint (on my part at least), are there plans to reduce the amount of RNG in both these cases ? (Such as bringing the WH2 Dwarves forge and perhaps more handle on the traits our character spawns)

- And to tie this up, are there plans to rework the Wu Xing systems down the line ? (being vague here, this encompasses careers, ancilllaries, traits and skills)

- Is the other half of Zheng Jiang getting her legendary status next character pack ?

- How come the 8P is not getting the units that are making it now into the grand campaign ? Such as the Imperial Units and the 2H sword infantry ? Is it actually a design decision as some have theorized ?

- Are there plans to bring some sort of weaker more balanced abilities to Records ? (As the old TW abilities)

I'll keep it at that for the state of the game as is. I could ask a million question but that just wouldn't be good. (I'm kinda expecting not getting a "satisfactory" answer for the ones I asked because they are quite precise bar the last one)

- So... which faction are you thinking of joining in M&B II : Bannerlord ?
    edited April 1
    Do you have any plans to reduce the hero's offense and stamina for combat balance? I don't want a soldier to be a puppet.
    The recent uad mode is very innovative in this regard.

I think there are too many questions. I'm sorry.
  • markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,531
    edited April 2
    Why is Liu Bei's faction so poorly thought out?

I will give some of the main examples of this:

Liu Bei cannot recruit Liao Hua, Gong Du, Pei Yuanshao or Liu Pi.

Jian Yong is not with Liu Bei in 182, yet should be.

Tao Qian's wife Lady Gan has been removed from the game, so that he now marries Lady Mi, who should be married Liu Bei.

Sun Qian is placed in Tao Qian's court, yet he only served Liu Bei, and would of been in Kong Rong's court if anyones due to him growing up in Beihai.

Jian Yong should be a strategist.

Zhao Yun should not be getting his event till 200-202 CE.

Why is Liao Hua's age 18 in 190CE? Zong Yu stated to Liao Hua "Both of us are already above the age of 70, ..." suggesting that Liao Hua was in his 70's. As this was stated in 261 CE. This would put his birth between 182 and 190CE meaning he was aged between 0-8 years old. If he was 18 in 190 he would of been 89 by 261, which seems unlikely.

These are just a few examples.

Post edited by markp27 on
  • BoscognShogunBoscognShogun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 32
    edited April 6

Unique Hero Employment Issues!!!!

Except for events, heroes should not be easily provided. and The geographical location and characteristics of heroes should be reflected more in the job market.

The easy acquisition of General Unique hero makes the game Easy and halts the user's interest. This can cause problems with game balance.

For example, in the Eombaekho Faction, the huang gai and zhou yu became the our team on the first turn.

It doesn't make sense to get into a gang easily in light of their character. In addition, this situation will reduce the difficulty of the Uhm Baek-ho faction.

This continues to be repeated in other situations.

Cao Cao's subordinate Hahudon also comes out in the beginning.

The situation is all the more surprising when Lubu becomes Liu Bei's subordinate. It's so absurd that Lubu is being robbed of his weapons by Liu Bei. Even here, the issue of weapon overbalance continues.

Jingung and Gosun become free positions. And they are too easily on my side. This causes balance problems in the game.

Because users easily get DLC's Unique Heroes, the difficulty of the game is reduced. And it's hard to keep the game interesting for a long time.

We need a system that naturally acquires Unique heroes according to the situation of the Three Kingdoms.

For example, if a country is destroyed in a certain area, major characters should exist only in that area. And unique heroes should slowly be moved from one region to another.

These features should be reflected in the user's job market.

I repeat, heroes should not be readily provided except for events.

Don't you intend to solve the job balance problem of this game?

p.s

I am a Korean. be poor at English Please understand me.

This guy has interesting ideas.
    Post edited by BoscognShogun on
  • epic_159869590391ngjsveAepic_159869590391ngjsveA Registered Users Posts: 26
    Would you have any plan to release barbarian faction? I want whole new factions like yellow turban. New class, brand-new units, and unique faction style.

I am a korean, also big fan of TW series. When I playing Three Kingdoms, I want to play Xiongnu, Xianbei, Vietnamese or Korean factions. You can see the record of TK, You recognized many barbarian tribe and original culture compare of Han dynasty.

Actually, more unique characters doesn't improve playing games. Furthermore, if you continue TK era chapter pack, major factions grow big states. It doesn't give good play style. You already have experience making TW:Attila.

In conclusion, you should make barbarian faction different with Han dynasty faction. Not just Namban, Northen Nomad Tribes, Vietnam and Wulingban.

I'm sure you would make it.

Thanks for read my comments.
  • hooverichooveric Registered Users Posts: 19
    edited April 1
    Will chariot and javelin be able to appear in tw 3k someday?
    I know this is far from historical accuracy, but it used to be described in Romance and 3k media.

Even if they don't have a chance, I would like to see a little more different unit types.
    As we've seen in the TW series before. (bomb throwers, dogs, etc.)
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Registered Users Posts: 671
    Labria said:

Why Liu Chong and He Yi are unplayable in 194 Campaign? Both of them still have own faction on map.
    Liu Chong is one of my favorite characters in the game. I'm disappointed that I can't play him in 194.

Agreed why can't we play as either of these guys, would love to be able to play as the Yellow Turbans in this campaign.
  • kokankokan Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 84
    edited April 2
    Yes! Perfect timming, I was just making a topic about Military supplies.

Short version is: military supplies are kinda broken, there are too many at all times making some unique faction traits less unique, garrison buildings effects not usefull at all and the mechanics generaly just forgetable.

Any plans to take a look at this?

Here it is my feedback and I would love to have everyone's thoughts and suggestions:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/261085/feedback-on-military-supplies

Other points:
    - Any thoughts on expanding the effects of schools to generate better retainers and to generally improve existing characters?
    - Add more objectives, more victory conditions, maybe its just me but I am tired of every time having to go for world domination. ToB type of objectives would be very nice... and players that want to be emperor every time can still do so.
    - Any thoughts on bringing back estates from ToB?
    Post edited by kokan on
    rewcho said:

Would you have any plan to release barbarian faction? I want whole new factions like yellow turban. New class, brand-new units, and unique faction style.

I am a korean, also big fan of TW series. When I playing Three Kingdoms, I want to play Xiongnu, Xianbei, Vietnamese or Korean factions. You can see the record of TK, You recognized many barbarian tribe and original culture compare of Han dynasty.

Actually, more unique characters doesn't improve playing games. Furthermore, if you continue TK era chapter pack, major factions grow big states. It doesn't give good play style. You already have experience making TW:Attila.

In conclusion, you should make barbarian faction different with Han dynasty faction. Not just Namban, Northen Nomad Tribes, Vietnam and Wulingban.

I'm sure you would make it.

Thanks for read my comments.

I agree but more unique characters are highly desirable.
    dryrain_p said:

Will chariot and javelin be able to appear in tw 3k someday?
    I know this is far from historical accuracy, but it used to be described in Romance and 3k media.

Even if they don't have a chance, I would like to see a little more different unit types.
    As we've seen in the TW series before. (bomb throwers, dogs, etc.)

I fully understand your wish that more "fun" units be integrated into the game. That said, I do not encourage CA to do so: historical accuracy first.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,870
    edited April 1
    3PM what timezone? CET? @CA_James
  • Pizzalover12Pizzalover12 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Hello, overall I am quite happy with Total War Three Kingdoms, but I only have two questions;

Will we get generic Wood and Fire female generals at some point? They're absence is a bit odd considering we have other types of female generals as well as Wood and Fire unique characters.

Secondly, will there be a way to track unique items throughout China? If a character comes to my court and they're missing their unique weapon, I'd like some way to track down the current owner of that weapon and steal it back.

Otherwise, I'm overall happy with the game, many thanks for the good content that you've released.

Do you have any plans to reduce the hero's offense and stamina for combat balance? I don't want a soldier to be a puppet.
    The recent uad mode is very innovative in this regard.

I think there are too many questions. I'm sorry.

You don't appreciate the fact that the heroes are distinguished by their notorious power: play in Historical mode.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,763

GMT. They're in the UK.
  • markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,531

24 hrs after he posted.
  • PhillyPhan321@gmail.com[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 71
    Please fix the events not going off for Lu Bu and Sun Ce when they are played in MP campaign. I posted about these in the MP forum but I don't think anyone looks at threads there.

When you do a MP campaign with someone as Lu Bu and the other person as Sun Ce none of the events or missions trigger (Liu Bei Peace, Sun Ce missions, ect).

Also when you manually fight battles as Lu Bu his momentum doesn't go up. It does if you delegate battles. And then when you defeat people manually in battles you also don't get the prestige you are supposed to get for beating the Xiahou brothers for example.

It feels so much like you didn't do one test run in MP campaign with Lu Bu and Sun Ce (the 2 main factions for this DLC). I have tried starting 9 campaigns now with Lu Bu and Sun Ce and in each one we have had the same issues (and we are using no mods). It only takes testing on the first turn of a MP campaign as Lu Bu and manually fighting the first battle to see that his momentum doesn't go up when you manually fight it or that you get the prestige bonuses.

This makes the MP campaign unplayable for the 2 main factions for this DLC. Lu Bu needs to get the peace deal from Liu Bei to get out of the war with Cao Cao. Lu Bu needs his momentum and prestige stats to go up in manual battles. And Sun Ce needs his missions to get his unique characters for his faction and for his missions to work properly to boost his luck stat back up.

So it is very disappointing to me that this has not been addressed in the patch notes for the upcoming patch claiming to fix the game breaking bugs. These are game breaking issues. Playing vs the AI isn't fun for me anymore and I only want to play MP campaigns now and was very much looking forward to the Lu Bu vs Sun Ce battle but now we will have to wait even longer for you to fix these issues it seems. Or are you actually aware of these issues and working on fixing them? It would be nice if you replied into other threads in your official forum. Your official forum should get more coverage then reddit does.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,870

GMT. They're in the UK.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what timezone the UK ran with since I don't live near Europe.

Oh yeah I also forgot to ask the questions:

Question 1

Certain commandaries such as ChenLiu, XiaPi and many others are missing from the map, is there any plans to redraw the campaign map in the future to add these historically important commandaries which are missing?

Question 2

Are there any plans to add gate (guan 关) battles to the game?

Question 3

Some commandaries in the game are labeled incorrectly, for example "Yang Zhou" commandary in the game is historically ShouCun commandary, as "Yang Zhou" is a province of Yang as implied by the "Zhou" at the end of the name which already implies that it is a province and not a commandary. There are also many inconsistencies in the naming of commandaries, such as how Luo Yang was never the name of a commandary but it is named as a commandary in the game when Luo Yang was historically a city, while the city of Xu Chang is named Ying Chuan commandary in the game. Are there any plans to address these inconsistencies in the future?

Question 4

Will notable legendary characters like Zhang Liao, Yue Jin and a few others who historically wielded two handed weapons be given access to two handed weapons in the game?

Question 5

The skill tress for the legendary characters Liu Biao, Yuan Shu, and Sun Quan are the same despite them all being different unique legendary characters, can this change by adding unique skills to these characters instead of making their skill tree all the same?

Question 6

Can CA make a sticky thread in the future detailing all of the bugs that CA is currently aware of with a time stamp, those that are in the process of getting fixed and those issues which CA needs more data on to determine the problems of the bug? This would greatly improve communication between the community if CA chooses to do this.

Question 7

It is amazing that some unique characters have their own voice set when commanding, but without the skill "reach" their campaign movement would always be hindered compared to a commanding general with reach, meaning that players will be less incentivized to use these unique characters to command the army meaning that their unique voices would be heard much less often, can this be changed so we will get to hear the unique commanding lines of unique characters more often?

Question 8

Are there any plans to introduce horseback dueling, like in the novels?

Question 9

Would CA please add "trade ancillaries" to quick deal so we can check out what ancillaries the AI has more easily?

Question 10

Is there a possibility for naval battles to be added in the game? Such as two armies fighting on ships which are locked together during combat?
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,099
    edited April 1
    Will you rework records mode to be actually more like older total war games? As in adding general abilities like rally, brace and similar skills as well as having the ability to customize your general's bodyguard type and equipment like bows changing your attack. Records mode generals feel like an afterthought that weren't given any attention after the initial release of the game, we only got a slight rework on fatigue down the line to be less rigorous.

Also will you still commit to the chapter packs transitioning seamlessly into a campaign? As in if you start as the earliest chapter pack like MoH and events kicking off at the respective years like 190 coalition and 194 DLC if conditions are met, such as certain characters being alive and forming factions. I feel like chapter packs will regress to mini campaigns if this is not done properly, as they will only work in their respective start dates.

Any plans on adding drop in battles as an option for 3K or WH3? This is a nice alternative for people who don't want to commit to a coop campaign and don't want to play against the AI.