Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Does anyone feeling like your infantry units get a speed nerf after you win a battle?

overtaker40#8926overtaker40#8926 Registered Users Posts: 1,164
It seems that recently my faster infantry can't seem to catch enemy foot units after you have won the battle. Like I had gor herd units chasing empire archers across the whole map and they couldn't catch them. 12 points faster and both very tired. Always just out of reach. It seems to be happening with lots of factions like as the lizard men I had trouble chasing dwarves.
I like all the races. Equally. Wood elves are just the first among equals.

Comments

• overtaker40#8926overtaker40#8926 Registered Users Posts: 1,164
    Also it seems like your troops will randomly stop chasing units you have told them to chase down.
    I like all the races. Equally. Wood elves are just the first among equals.
  • SeanJeanquoi#3490SeanJeanquoi#3490 Registered Users Posts: 3,416

Also it seems like your troops will randomly stop chasing units you have told them to chase down.

that's been happening to me since December.

I've also had a big issue where Ranged and Artillery units will forget they can shoot and try to move to engage in melee, even if they aren't in melee mode. This is especially bad in sieges when artillery and archers will walk right up to the walls.

Also, does anyone know if that bug has been fixed that causes buffs and debuffs to do the opposite and become permanent?
  • Ol_Nessie#9894Ol_Nessie#9894 Registered Users Posts: 4,310
    edited April 2020

Make sure they're not on guard mode. Though yes, I have experienced the phenomenon you're referring to. Maybe it's a "feature"! I've also found that slowing spells and abilities don't seem to work on broken enemies.
    Post edited by Ol_Nessie#9894 on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GloatingSwine#8098GloatingSwine#8098 Registered Users Posts: 2,680
    edited April 2020

Thought it was more that the enemy gets a speed BUFF rather than a debuff on your own units. But yes, something definitely hinky goes on which isn't reflected in the unit card.

Skaven do.

Most others not so much.

But you do need a considerable advantage to meaningfully catch a fleeing unit (at least 10 speed over them). Also many units attack animations aren't very good for attacking fleeing units (which is why cavalry are usually bad at it, despite it being one of their biggest jobs both in the real world and on the Warhammer tabletop).

If you want to really hurt units on the run down, skirmish archer cavalry are fantastic for it. Send a pack of Marauder Horsemen after something and it's not reaching the map border. Skaven Deathrunners as well. And if you really want a fleeing lord or hero dead, Snikch is unrivalled.
  • Tsuyara#2341Tsuyara#2341 Registered Users Posts: 279
    It seems fleeing units aren't affected by certain speed debuffs, likey they don't seem to get slowed by exhaustion. So when your exhausted troops run after them, they have a hard time catching up. It seems to usually be this what makes them really hard to catch, it could be a bug.

But you do need a considerable advantage to meaningfully catch a fleeing unit (at least 10 speed over them). Also many units attack animations aren't very good for attacking fleeing units (which is why cavalry are usually bad at it, despite it being one of their biggest jobs both in the real world and on the Warhammer tabletop).

Against single entities, yeah, but against normal units cav does it's job quite well. Additionally, so does fast infantry. I find ranged horses tend to do terrible at it because of their whacky targeting (like the entire unit shooting that one guy who's standing 20m behind the rest).
    Tsuyara said:

It seems fleeing units aren't affected by certain speed debuffs, likey they don't seem to get slowed by exhaustion. So when your exhausted troops run after them, they have a hard time catching up. It seems to usually be this what makes them really hard to catch, it could be a bug.

Against single entities, yeah, but against normal units cav does it's job quite well. Additionally, so does fast infantry. I find ranged horses tend to do terrible at it because of their whacky targeting (like the entire unit shooting that one guy who's standing 20m behind the rest).
    Instead of giving them an attack order, give them a move order that's just past the fleeing unit whilst they're on fire at will, they'll stay shooting.
    Ingr8 said:

I had a ridiculous scenario where, following a victory over the Dwarfscum with HEs, the Elves could not run down the runtyscum.

How are runtscum meant to be able to outpace Elves when they are short, fat bastards with long beards that they would constantly trip over?

Remember they left a pint of ale back in the dwarfhold. Gives them something to really run for.
  • Archmark#3881Archmark#3881 Registered Users Posts: 180
    "I don't know about angels, but its fear that gives men wings" - Max Payne

Also many units attack animations aren't very good for attacking fleeing units (which is why cavalry are usually bad at it, despite it being one of their biggest jobs both in the real world and on the Warhammer tabletop).

Seeing my mounted hero just breathing down on an enemy's neck who just needs one more whack to die is incredibly frustrating.
  • Tsuyara#2341Tsuyara#2341 Registered Users Posts: 279

Tsuyara said:

Instead of giving them an attack order, give them a move order that's just past the fleeing unit whilst they're on fire at will, they'll stay shooting.
    That doesn't solve the issue of them focus firing models (it actually seems to me that they are slightly better at it when you give an explicit attack order, but that might be placebo), have you not experience this? Your entire unit just shooting a couple models at a time, wasting their shots? It happens pretty much everytime i use ranged cav to chase them down. Meanwhile cav will usually make short work of any enemy unit, at least for the initial charge and fight, chasing down stragglers will take a bit but you can usually ignore them (i believe it was 20% for unit elimination)
  • TheShiroOfDaltonTheShiroOfDalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 34,001
    Fleeing units get a massive speed and mass boost. You can have surrounded a the unit on all sides but as soon as they shatter, they press out of the surround no matter what and run at full speed. Infantry also sucks in general at hunting down fleeing troops in this game.

Sorry, CA, but only Skaven are supposed to run faster when broken...
  • #501075#501075 Registered Users Posts: 143

Fleeing units get a massive speed and mass boost. You can have surrounded a the unit on all sides but as soon as they shatter, they press out of the surround no matter what and run at full speed.

I’ve noticed that too. It makes it so you don’t want the enemy unit to route. That way you can just eliminate the unit then and there instead of having to commit one of your own units to chase it down, which takes substantially longer and leaves your unit out of position, or let them go, to have them come back and compromise your back line.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,481
    Let us remember that the ai dont get to chase the player down
  • RockNRolla92#9743RockNRolla92#9743 Registered Users Posts: 2,294
    edited April 2020

Yeah unit orders are all over the place again. People keep saying take guard mode off but I've played with guard mode on since they fixed it the first time and it's way worse now

I really hate that you have to spam click to get AI units out of combat as well.

On topic, yeah it does seem like that. I know skaven are supposed too but it seems like everyone does now