Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Suggestions for Improving Seige Map Variety.

Laytenb2122Laytenb2122 Registered Users Posts: 19
As a long time Warhammer 2 player, one of my biggest gripes is the map variety when it comes to siege battles. They are often very similar in design, making them very boring after a while. CA tried to remedy this with the release of The Hunter and The Beast DLC by adding Empire Forts but the forts are all just one map, which doesn't fix the problem. The modding community does an amazing job creating maps, but they shouldn't have to do the things CA should be doing. Because of that, I have some new ideas for future maps. For example, how about a map that has a fort that is in the middle and is being attacked from the left and right, leading to interesting battles, especially from the defender's perspective. Another idea is a Dawi stronghold where the map gradually descends the further you go inside, leading to interesting battle situations. If you all have any more ideas, let me know.

Comments

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,830
    The AI is too dumb to navigate elaborate maps.
  • steph74steph74 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,482
    AI is limited by the NS of the guy who made it.
  • ThorrkThorrk Registered Users Posts: 56
    There is literally a mod for that (GCCM).
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,197
    The best solution would be to have the old procedural map that creates battle map depending where you are om the campaign, opposed to the few (and bad) handcrafted we have now.

Yes it was horrible when on a mountaim or forest, but still would make infinite more replayability.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 8,566
    I have long since moved on to the GCCM map collection. Whilst sometimes it leads you into sieges when you get on to the map even though there are no walls on the campaign map and even though there are sometimes some problems with the maps they are sooo endlessly more interesting and beautiful that to not use them seems like an exercise in self inflicted boredom.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • MORTUSMORTUS Registered Users Posts: 84
    My ideas are to be added a siege maps with a second and even third wall line with gates, towers and so on. Also to be added areas on the second and third walls which are wider and tower alike on which can be placed artillery units.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 915
    I don't think they need to be more complex; I think they need to be simplier.

The 2nd line of defence in the fort maps; with the fortress ramps works brilliantly. You can have artillery on the walls and archers pouring fire down onto the ramp as your men hold the line.

Honestly siege maps need to do away with the awkward walls they have now and just use these as they have always confused the A.I.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,286
    edited April 23
    Have you seen Third Age battlemaps?

They have map there wherein you can enter and fight inside citadel/fort. Other map has cave wherein you can also go inside and fight there as well..

Those are the best siege maps!

Even when there are tall structures, you can still scale those maps and fight on your way to the top.

Hope CA see those awesome maps.
  • dvernichondvernichon Registered Users Posts: 49
    edited April 23
    jamreal18 said:

Have you seen Third Age battlemaps?

They have map there wherein you can enter and fight inside citadel/fort. Other map has cave wherein you can also go inside and fight there as well..

Those are the best siege maps!

Even when there are tall structures, you can still scale those maps and fight on your way to the top.

Hope CA see those awesome maps.

I have seen these maps and played this mod. Yes there were some absolutely amazing maps. The most gorgeous I've ever seen in a TW (that said I've not played all of them, I'd need a second life without work and children... hey that's an idea!).
    But the poor AI got lost in these. It killed half the pleasure, as defender and as attacker as well.

WTW maps are as simple as they are for a reason : the AI can barely manage even these.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 9,035
    We need settlements changing their skins again again, then we would also have more variety in Siege battle maps.

Playing in Lustria you just fight Sieges on LM maps over and over again, even if the settlement is controlled by Luthor Harkon, Khalida, Teclis, Lokhir or Markus. It’s just boring.