Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Question on deleting mod files

Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,201
Okay so first off I'm not a modder so I'm not familiar with them on a technical level, but I've run into some issues with them on the mod manager that are rather confusing, so I'm looking for some clarification here.

So recently I went through the mods I was subscribed to on Steam and unsubscribed from many. Now in the mod manager those mods are still there, and I cannot delete them like I can the other mods that I'm still subscribed too; what is weirder is that it shows that I am the creator of them and may upload them to the workshop. Now my question is are the files for these exclusively located in the games data folder, and will deleting them directly file by file have any unforeseen consequences on the vanilla files? (I absolutely do not want to go through the process of reinstalling with my current wifi connection, God forbid.) Forgive me if this comes across as obtuse, I just don't want to take any risks here.
Tagged:

Comments

• paperpancakepaperpancake Registered Users Posts: 35
    You should be able to delete mod files from the data folder without negative consequences, as long as they are indeed mod files. In fact, having mod files in the data folder can prevent you from getting updates to mods you're subscribed to.

I'm not sure how it was done in the past, but now-a-days I believe mod files are only put in the data folder if you put them there (which is why it asks if you want to publish them) or if you use something like KMM. Steam keeps TWW2 mods that I've subscribed to in a separate location. For me, it's in my Steam folder under Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\, and then a subfolder for the game and a subfolder for each mod within that game.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,201

You should be able to delete mod files from the data folder without negative consequences, as long as they are indeed mod files. In fact, having mod files in the data folder can prevent you from getting updates to mods you're subscribed to.

I'm not sure how it was done in the past, but now-a-days I believe mod files are only put in the data folder if you put them there (which is why it asks if you want to publish them) or if you use something like KMM. Steam keeps TWW2 mods that I've subscribed to in a separate location. For me, it's in my Steam folder under Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\, and then a subfolder for the game and a subfolder for each mod within that game.

Thank you very much, I hadn't explored the workshop folders before, now I shall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file