Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Portraits You Dislike

Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 179
I'll preface this by saying that I love Total War 3K. I think it's a great game and that most of the art is fantastic. I'm genuinely impressed by how well they capture the characters while remaining unique.

However, I thought it would be fun to list some of the - let's say subpar art.

Let's start with Cheng Pu.

I think something seriously went wrong here, because it looks like something from the puzzle mod. And not to insult those guys, because they do great work by refitting existing art. But this is supposed to be professional and unique! Firstly, why does his head look like it doesn't fit his hat? Secondly, why does he look like he belongs in Ma Teng's faction and not Sun Ce's? I think they are trying to make him look like a bandit because he's a bandit killer?

This is a real kicker for me, because Cheng Pu is a badass Wu general, and he just looks so strange and out of place in this game.

Cheng Gong.

I don't think he looks bad, certainly better than Cheng Pu, but why does he have such a derpy expression? He looks like he's confused about something. This is a real shame, because Cheng Gong is a cool character.

Xu Shu.

This is mostly baffling because he looks absolutely nothing like Xu Shu. Why is he wearing armour? This is the kind of portrait you would give to someone who was a strategist and actually fought in battle, like Zhou Yu.

I know they took it from the unused archer art, but couldn't they have given it to someone more appropriate?

I have other issues, but these are by far the biggest.

Comments

• united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 721
    edited May 21
    I am ok with the 2 strategists mentioned. I think it is cool they diversify some of the strategist's outfit and Xu Shu looks great imo.

However, I will agree that Cheng Pu is one of the worst looking model and portrait for a Han general. His outfit would match perfectly for a bandit or tribal character. Everything looks pretty authentic (the helmet looks like it originates from the warring states which is fine imo). However, the one thing that ruin his model for me is the dead tiger skin he wraps around his waist and covers beyond his knees lol. Like wtf dude, that is so unfitting for a Han general.
  • nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 373
    I agree that Cheng Pu's art is the worst.
  • nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 373
    edited May 21

But the old art issue is the art of Xiahou Yuan's. His art is displayed in the game in an unfinished state.

Can you understand the difference between promotional art and in-game art?
    Check the helmet and armor scale details.
  • mcbestmcbest Registered Users Posts: 224

Xu Shu.

This is mostly baffling because he looks absolutely nothing like Xu Shu. Why is he wearing armour? This is the kind of portrait you would give to someone who was a strategist and actually fought in battle, like Zhou Yu.

I know they took it from the unused archer art, but couldn't they have given it to someone more appropriate?

I have other issues, but these are by far the biggest.

Xu Shu was known to be an excellent swordsman in his younger days and is often depicted as wearing some form of light armor. This portrayal is perfect for him.

Chen Gong looks decent - not exceptional by any means.

Cheng Pu's Puzzle art was better (much better) than his art done by CA.
  • him_15him_15 Registered Users Posts: 116
    edited May 22
    Cheng Gong is the worst one for me, why is he so fat?
    Post edited by him_15 on
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,278
    Cheng Pu's art is terrible, so is Zhang Hong + Zhang Zhao + Zhou Tai and Chen Gong. Many of the artwork in AWB is bad except for a few like Yan Baihu and his brother which are drawn really well.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,871
    edited May 22
    Cheng Pu was from Youbeiping. May be that is why they chose a more tribal look for him.

I agree that Chen Gong does not look very clever for a strategist.
  • markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,529
    Worst art for me is Liu Bei. Where are his giant ears that were so big he could see them, and his arms that reached below his knees or even his red lips that were so red it looked like he was wearing lipstick?

The size of his ears and the length of his arms were mentioned in both historical records and ROTK the red lips though were from ROTK only. His portrait does not match up to either description.

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,090
    markp27 said:

Worst art for me is Liu Bei. Where are his giant ears that were so big he could see them, and his arms that reached below his knees or even his red lips that were so red it looked like he was wearing lipstick?

The size of his ears and the length of his arms were mentioned in both historical records and ROTK the red lips though were from ROTK only. His portrait does not match up to either description.

Most people don't want to play as something that was born out of the Elephant's Foot at Chernobyl.
    edited May 22
    Krunch said:

markp27 said:

Most people don't want to play as something that was born out of the Elephant's Foot at Chernobyl.
    Playing as King Kong or Dumbo would not bother me ;)
    edited May 23
    markp27 said:

I would rather have the current Liu Bei model in the game than something like this which matches your description.

• kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 172

Cheng Pu's art is terrible, so is Zhang Hong + Zhang Zhao + Zhou Tai and Chen Gong. Many of the artwork in AWB is bad except for a few like Yan Baihu and his brother which are drawn really well.

Agree! Da Xiao's art is poor as well... and Zhou Yu looks kiddy

3D face rendering for Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei are hilariously bad.

3D beards of Liu Bei, Zhang Zhao and Zhang Hong look really weird.. they're almost too black..
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,271

markp27 said:

I would rather have the current Liu Bei model in the game than something like this which matches your description.

Kill it! Kill it with fire!
  • KalistratKalistrat Junior Member Ukraine/DnipropetrovskRegistered Users Posts: 94
    You have an interesting discussion here. Portraits as an important part of the game and an important part of the strategy.

Do not misunderstand me, you can discuss what you want. But discuss portraits, are you serious?
    This is also, if you discuss what you do not like in the picture of the Mona Lisa. This is a matter of taste. And an insult to the artists who have worked for you.

As for the small-scale details. The promotional art does not need to optimize computer performance during the game. And in-game art needs it.

I would suggest postponing this discussion until there are no problems left in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,483
    I'll admit : there is no portrait that I actually dislike. Even Cheng Pu - that turned me off a bit at first (since the style is very different from the rest) - I found myself growing quite fond of. (he's like a very big bear)

So yeah, there are portraits that feel like they are of lesser quality, some oddities here and there, but no portrait actually makes me think "wow I really dislike this character".

But that's perhaps because I'm not into the 3K story (nor the other pop-renditions of the characters)
    Rewan said:

So yeah, there are portraits that feel like they are of lesser quality, some oddities here and there, but no portrait actually makes me think "wow I really dislike this character"

I agree with you here, there are no portraits in the game which makes me dislike any character in particular but there are some portraits especially with the release of AWB which makes me go like "damn these characters could certainly use some better artwork to match up to their historical prowess."

markp27 said:

Kill it! Kill it with fire!
    I refuse to let them use that photo of me! I knew I should of never put that up online. :D
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 921
    Cheng Pu and Cheng Gong look awful. I hope CA will change them in the future.
    Amazons should be pre-order race with jaguars and big apes, inclusive of warhammer version of King Kong. B)
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,956
    Cheng Pu doesn't look like from Han faction.