Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Three Kingdoms released one year ago! What would you like to see in its second year?

DansusoDansuso Registered Users Posts: 31
Reworks, factions ,units , DLCs... whatever!

Comments

• nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 389
    Already Nanman is announced. I expect its in July.
  • DansusoDansuso Registered Users Posts: 31
    nephlite said:

Same, i expect them in July or August at the latest, but who knows. Hopefully it comes with another rework like the bandit one!
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,116
    Personally for me: I just want to see the same volume of DLC but with a bit more care taken to prevent bugs from happening.

As for what I want to see for content, I want to see some more non-Han cultures. Personally I think the game is more than fun enough right now and I enjoy battles, but some more non-han factions would still be nice. After the Nanman I am thinking specifically the Northern Tribes, Qiang Rebellion factions, and of course Korea has always been requested. But I don't expect all of those in a year. I would say I want to see the Yue too, but honestly after Yan Baihu I think that ship has sailed, it would have been cool but it's not to be, and honestly Yan Baihu's Yue representation is probably more accurate than actually having seperate tribes in the area so it's not like we can complain. In the far future maybe pushing the map further northwest could be done too, though it might give the map an odd shape to include the Hexi corridor and not Tibet(as we really don't know what is going on in Tibet at the time of the game) so they probably won't do that. I suppose if I had to pick one culture I thought was likely and could be added this year, it'd probably be the Northern steppe tribes. They are interesting and period relevant.

As for the Han factions themselves, I want to see further development of Imperial mechanics, implementing differences between Warlords and Governors would be cool too, and of course there are plenty of heroes that could be added. I'm guessing that after Nanman the next DLC will probably be Guandu which should add plenty of characters for Cao Cao and Yuan Shao, and if there are 3 more Chapter Packs this year that is more than enough to sort of finish the main meat of the setting from 190-220. If I were to have my way I'd have one Guandu chapter pack, one chapter pack set just after the Battle of Chi Bi, and then one chapter pack set during the Hanzhong campaign of Liu Bei, after he has established himself in Chengdu. That should have plenty of characters to go around between the three big factions and a few characters for lesser warlords too, as well as cover the more interesting start dates.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 243
    1) Unit cards could be reworked to make the units more distinct for a start.
    2) Character skill tree could have more unique abilities and skills so characters do not all feel the same or predictable.
    3) 3D faces of certain characters could be reworked/refined to look better.
    4) More tactical and campaign flexibility would be welcomed as well.
    5) Campaign map could be reworked to be more historically accurate with the historical locations and names of administrative regions/cities reflected
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,347
    In order of personal preference....

More diverse cultures added to the game.

More unit types, more diversity between unit rosters, and a rework of unit recruitment to encourage diverse armies.

Reworks and overhauls to a lot of mechanics; faction currencies & mechanics, the Child Emperor & Han Empire mechanics, Victory Conditions, Yellow Turban playstyle (fixing all the stuff that's broken with them would be also be a good start...).

Overhaul of Records Mode. Custom bodyguards may have been shot down, but there's still a lot of other areas that they can still improve.
  • shattishatti Registered Users Posts: 425
    edited May 23
    -more customization overall.

-more "military features"
    like the existing titles and appointments, the barricades and oils.

-more ambush maps.

-skill tree enhancement: more special perks for records mod
  • markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,531
    Less bugs.

More fixes.

Delay in releasing DLC's until they are properly tested and won't break the game.

Other than that, Liu Bei faction overhaul.

:p
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    In random order

- More unique buildings
    - Yuan Shao fleshed out with unique character portraits and a couple of unique units
    - Off map invasions like in tob
    - More unique battle maps
    - Constructible fortifications on the campaign map - like in empire
    - More events Like barbarian hordes invading or rebellions
    - Better empire mechanic. What’s the current deal?
    - Bridge battles
    - More unique battle maps with interesting chocke points
    - More generic portraits and armor
    - Marriage search option in the diplomatic screen
    - Supplies having a bigger impact once Campaigning further away from your own or friendly territory with the expectation of mercenary contracts
    - Seasons having more impact on supplies
    - Food currently doesn’t stock. It would be great if food could be a resource like gold which you can stock and is tied to supplies, population growth etc This would require a complete rework however
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 743
    1. Yellow Turban overhaul.
    2. Some Han faction overhaul especially the ones with weak mechanics.
    3. Provincial management tab/UI. Similar to estate in ToB.
    4. Inheritance mechanic/system to pass down unique armor and traits.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,330
    In order of priorities:

Most importantly -> improved communication with the community on the official forums.

1. STOP the constant revival of old bugs once and for all.

2. Fix the existing bugs like auto fire not working in ambush battles, this bug has existed long enough.

3. AI improvement for Cao Cao, he really needs it.

4. Rework some faction mechanics like heroism for Sun Jian, governance for Liu Biao, etc.

5. High quality unique art for Daddy Shao's faction (he has the least uniques out of the big guys).

6. Personalized skill trees for characters like Sun Quan, Liu Biao, Yuan Shu (right now they share a generic skill tree).

7. More events and ancillaries for characters.

8. Option to upgrade rank 10 militia units so they can still be viable last game besides swarming with auto resolve.
    nephlite said:

It wasn't an announcement, they just mentioned that it will be coming in 2020. There's no official release date yet.

There's a Troy + Intel collab coming in June (source from reddit & also in official subforum). Hence, from June to July or even up to August/Sep will be dedicated to Troy.

July for Nanman is highly unlikely.
  • nephlitenephlite Registered Users Posts: 389
    @united84
    I don't think Troy Intel collab mean release.
    According to the Sega report, Troy will be released at the end of the year.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,309
    nephlite said:

@united84
    I don't think Troy Intel collab mean release.
    According to the Sega report, Troy will be released at the end of the year.

What Sega report? Can you link it?

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER and THREE KINGDOMS campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, Lü Bu, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,590
    Troy Intel collab ?

Sounds like Dynasty mode demo where heroes kill off a gazillion men. :trollface:
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 495
    1.) Fox the well known bugs

2.) Layout your upcoming DLCs, I seriously don't believe that they have no idea what chapter packs they have in mind of doing

3.) Beef up faction unique mechanics

4.) Give me Yan Liang / Wen Chou unique !!!
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 959
    I just want more cultures like Nanmam, Northern steppe tribes, Korea etc. This game needs more diversity.

I lost any interest for future Chapter Pack DLCs after 194 fail with unplayable Liu Chong and Yellow Turbans without reason. Why should buy any future chapter DLC if all new cultures will be unplayable anyway?
    I have no interest to play just a few Han characters like Cao Cao or Liu Bei over and over.
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,309
    nephlite said:
    It does not say much about the end of they year (it can still happen).

The fiscal year 2021/3 means only that it might release between March 2020 and March 2021.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER and THREE KINGDOMS campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, Lü Bu, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
  • Bright_EyesBright_Eyes Registered Users Posts: 195
    I'm saying this as someone who is a huge Three Kingdoms fan foremost. I'm listing these in order of preference.

1) More of the "big players" in Three Kingdoms, such as Liu Zhang especially, to be playable factions. It would also be nice to have Shi Xie, Zhang Lu and Han Sui playable. This is a standard in other 3K games and I know Total War 3K has much more differences between factions, but we still need these factions to be playable.

2) We need more unique generals for the other factions. We need more for Yuan Shao especially. But even the other minor factions like Gongsun Zan, Ma Teng, Liu Biao could do with having more. MTU is doing a good job covering this, but CA should also add some official art.

3) Personally I'd like to see more unique units for the currently existing factions. I think Lu Bu and Sun Ce in A World Betrayed have about the right amount of units to make their factions feel unique, and it actually makes the big players like Cao Cao and Liu Bei feel far less unique in comparison. Sure there's not much difference between some of their units, but it just helps make the faction feel unique and gives them flavour.

4) Then I want to see more faction diversity. I'm not actually hugely bothered by this because a lot of these different cultures were actually pretty insignificant in the story - but I know that it would be nice for gameplay purposes.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,087
    edited May 24
    After 2 years?
    More Emphasis on Records Mode.
    More diverse unit roster, more battlemaps, improved battles.

Most of All,
    Stand Alone Expansion Announcement.

Wonder when will CA going to announce the next Era though.
  • CockatooCockatoo Registered Users Posts: 4
    More clothing variation and poses for generic characters.

Mortal empires style cross over with Rome2/Attila.
    For me the absolute priority that should not even be a subject of discussion is
    A - The Forge for equipable ancillaries and CA doing away with the maluses on them that they just can't seem to balance properly (and more often than not do not make sense)

The rest, to be honest I believe CA should go for it but it's more debatable.

B - Rework of most faction currencies to fit better what the factions are/were about. Cao Cao, Sun Jian, Liu Bei should scale up over time (and give them Prestige and some other benefits). The Yuans on the other hand should decay over time (making them into that big player early game but when mismanaged, pretty much crashing into the ground by midgame). Governors should all have the Governance mechanic (and all limits should be removed when they reach Emperor Rank).

C - Rework of the Han Empire (again) to actually do better. Right now holding the Han Emperor is a liability for the player and the AI and it's impossible to keep the Emperor as the player I believe (. Applying the 8P mechanic was a good idea but the execution felt short. Also doing so probably off'd the Loyalty to the Han.

Holding the young Emperor should grant your faction access to a simili-emperor-style-court. The Emperor should only be able to leave if your faction is mostly dissatisfied or if a spy actually manages to extract him. (holding the child Emperor should increase the holders relations with factions of lower rank but lower it with )

Playing as all factions when you reach King's rank you should get a Dilemna : Either restore the Han Empire or declare yourself Emperor (Playing as the Governors you would only get the option of trying to restore the Han Empire)

When any faction reaches King's rank the Three Kingdom phase should start. Right now it only happens if the player reaches King's rank (so the AI can go to 3K phase but it won't actually start the Three Kingdom phase). If the player is amongst the 2 most prestigious factions under the one that proclaimed itself he should get the dilmena with the aformentionned choice about trying to restore the Empire, make your own kingdom or simply bid your time (so the ball would go to the next faction)

Trying to Restore the Empire would require holding Luoyang and the 3 usurpers seat. Would also automatically make Liu Xie your faction leader.

These three are for me the big ones, I could name "add more units and legendaries" but CA is already on the right path in these areas imho. So I don't need to add more on this. There are a lot of things that could be discussed but as CA does not really talk with the community about the features we request (as in : tell us if it's doable, or why they are not doing it) it's kinda hard to voice them...
  • Ares101Ares101 Registered Users Posts: 82
    Mainly northern factions like proto-mongol tribes and the Korean 3 Kingdoms.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 243
    edited May 27
    More more more facial and costume design variety for generic characters...

Unique designs for the likes of the leading historical characters of the time such as Zhu Jun, Luo Jun, Lu Kang, Yuan Yi, Ding Yuan, Zhang Lu and Liu Yan like what was done for Liu Yao and Wang Lang.

Revamp the character skill tree. Current skill tree feels really cartoonish, limited and predictable compared to the likes of games like Crusader Kings 3 and the earlier TW games like Medieval 2 where characters have more depth and complexity with lots of traits as they develop through the game.
    Post edited by kaihoo on
  • zyliugzyliug Registered Users Posts: 3
    I want base game upgrades and polish, i.e. non-dlc patches. Adding more dlc factions to a weak foundation is not going to fix my current issues. Some of these include:

-ascended portraits for generic generals who reach lvl 10
    -rework of buildings so ones like supply depot and mateng's UB aren't useless
    -regional armies that are tied to resources or landmark buildings (example below)
    -faction caps on cavalry increased by horse pastures
    -rework commerce/spice/silk (all silk trade is commerce but not all commerce is silk)
    -expanded spy options if your spy becomes faction leader (everything you can do to your own faction)
    -rework wuxing because it forces players into red/blue/green armies
    -public office bonuses are character specific. Don't fill offices just for sake of filling them
    -make supply lines interactive not passive
    -actually improve AI handling of deployables, not just ignore them
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,882
    edited May 27
    First of all, congratulations and kudos for making a stellar game. For years, I was gradually losing interest in Total War in favor of AEGOD, Scourge of War, Crusader Kings, KOEI's strategy games etc thanks to increasing casualization, focus on micromanagement and clickfest over tactics and strategy, arbitrary nonsense over realism. Warhammer was nearly the final nail in the coffin with its children's game like campaign and blobby starcraft-like battles. However with the post launch updates for Rome 2, the interesting strategic improvements in Britannia, and the incredible increase in depth and realism in 3K (setting aside some Romance mode shenanigans), Creative Assembly have restored my faith in this series. Well done.

That being said there is still a lot of room for improvements -
    1. More variation in generic character appearance with different facial structures, body shapes, default pose etc, reflecting the traits of the character (e.g. fat character should look fat, beautiful character should beautiful etc).
    2. The effectiveness of (i.e. bonuses from) a character in a court position should depend on specific stats, instead of being the same irrespective of character (base game) or based on level (Sun Ce). Example - a character with high cunning should give better bonuses from being Grand Tutor.
    3. Diplomatic assignments, where you send characters to foreign courts to increase relations, charm characters, or subversively sow chaos.
    4. Guide players and AI to recruiting more distinct and thematic armies, via penalties, bonuses, events etc. Increase the likelihood of AI fielding legendary generals and high tier units.
    5. With the increasing number of custom characters, all those beautiful armors are becoming obsolete. Like weapons, we should be able to reassign armors for custom characters (with some iconic exceptions like Guan Yu).
    6. Which reminds me, we should be able to create custom characters using in-game tools.
    7. Recruitment options could be restricted by access to specific resources and regions.
    8. The base campaign factions need to be updated with extra unique mechanics like Sun Ce and Lu Bu.
    9. High tier units should be attained by upgrading lower tier units of the same type. Additionally there could be extra population classes such as veterans, and nobles, which would give immediate access to high tier units.
    10. More internal politics - with high ranking officials, heirs etc scheming against their rivals in court, with potentially devastating civil wars, character deaths if left unchecked. Putting incompatible personalities in the same place for a long period should have major consequences.
    11. Teach the battle AI to stick to formations. Introduce a "cohesion" multiplier to unit stats that is increased when units are properly formed in rank and file, with clear battle lines, and decreased when units are overlapping, unformed and blobbed up, thus encouraging players to use realistic tactics.
    12. Improve reinforcement mechanics, so that it is wholesome and dramatic, instead of units trickling in one by one based on how much room there is left in the UI.
    13. Youngsters can be placed as deputy of another more experienced character, creating exciting mix of skills.
    14. Retinues should perform better when together, and near their commander (could be a factor in the cohesiveness multiplier) thus giving the player an incentive to maintain army organization during battles.
    15. More epic barbarian invasions, massive uprisings etc in later game.
    16. Make duels more tactical and dramatic. Restrict duel offers to similar or higher strength opponents so that AI does not spam and player does not exploit, and then a put a big penalty for rejecting duel offers. Add tactical choices such as switchable stances (e.g. assault, defense, critical etc like ROTK XI) that add an RPS modifier and alter the animations. Consider adding 2v1 or 3v1 duels.

Wild suggestions -
    1. Do away with shoe-horned unit rosters. Instead let us design and recruit troops by mixing and matching population class, cultural traditions, weapons, equipment, training officers etc that we have access to, thus recreate historical armies in an organic manner, as it was in history.
    2. Decentralize all resources so that each city has its own resident officers, gold, weapons, horses, food etc. Logistics would be managed via actual supply routes and caravans that can be attacked and need to be protected.
    3. Introduce chain of command AI so that we can focus on the interesting parts and let AI governors and deputy-commanders manage the mindless elements.
    4. Do away with arbitrary unit caps on armies and retinues. Instead use the command attribute (may be mixed with title / office) of an officer to determine the optimal number of units in his retinue, and number of retinues in his army. Anything more than optimal would cause penalties. Number of units per battle could be a graphics setting. If the player has extra units, they can keep some retinues in "reserve", and rotate them in and out of active battle as they deem fit, as it was in real battles.
    Post edited by mitthrawnuruodo on
  • seienchinseienchin Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,572
    edited May 26
    Honestly? I want the game to die and make way for the next historical total war.

Three kingdoms was a complete failure to me. Battles were the most boring ones in a modern TW game and features like duels, recruitment and several commanders were all implemented just - again - boring.

Comparing this to Shogun 1 and Shogun 2 they also failed go bring this different culture and history easily digestible to the game (remember those movies whenever you recruited a unit for the first time? That is a genius way to make westerners appreciate No-Dachi Samurai)

The game has some very good ideas and directions for the campaign map though - no doubt
    seienchin said:

Honestly? I want the game to die and make way for the next historical total war.

Three kingdoms was a complete failure to me. Battles were the most boring ones in a modern TW game and features like duels, recruitment and several commanders were all implemented just - again - boring.

Comparing this to Shogun 1 and Shogun 2 they also failed go bring this different culture and history easily digestible to the game (remember those movies whenever you recruited a unit for the first time? That is a genius way to make westerners appreciate No-Dachi Samurai)

The game has some very good ideas and directions for the campaign map though - no doubt

Well, if you cannot stick to the point of discussion. Maybe you should refrain from posting.

In addition, I fail to see how culture in games are hard to digest. I play every total war games, Dynasty Warriors, ROTK, even weird native American RTS and still able to appreciate them.

If you fail to digest these history and culture. This is more of a personal problem than the game design. So, please rant somewhere else.

• LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    seienchin said:

It’s by far the best Total war although the replayability is lower vs Rome and warhammer. Perhaps even lower than shogun. Not sure why though
    Replayability is between Shogun 2 and Rome 2 for me. Ultimately because of how linear the map of Shogun 2 is I believe replayability to be lower.

On the other hand the fact that most factions in 3K start in the same general area do not help the feeling that "things are always the same". I'll admit.