Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Expectations

QuintoMaximoQuintoMaximo Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 177
So, before we get a gameplay on the 9th, what are you expecting from this saga? What is the first thing you want to do with this game? What do you expect to find in this game?
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY

Comments

• RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,433
    What I hope/expect to find in Troy:
    - Somewhat faithful retelling of Trojan War conflict with strong historical approach.
    - The best campaign gameplay (economy, diplomacy, religion, characters) among all Total War titles.
    - Generally speaking, being able to fight other factions on other areas than battlefields.
    - I don't expect diverse rosters but I hope that battles will become more tactical, with terrain finally making a difference.
    - New endgame mechanics that will make that phase of gameplay more fun (more challenging enemies without AI cheating its way to the top)

First campaign:
    - Hector. I will try to follow the story (well, except with Troy surviving the war). After the main conflict I might try more peaceful approach and rather expand in Anatolia than taking revenge on Greeks.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER and THREE KINGDOMS campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    I'm looking forward to seeing how CA overhauls a lot of longtime game mechanics, and introduces new ones.

One of the main reasons CA decided to do the Saga series in the first place was that the smaller scope of the games allowed them to experiment with new game mechanics and change how existing ones worked.
    ToB for instance introduced stuff like army supplies, greater character management, campaign dilemmas, changes to recruitment, mustering, and evolving factions, etc., all of which were great ideas and now look set to become standard features for the series going forward.

I'm really excited to see how terrain will have a much greater impact on battles, such as natural obstructions that break up the battlefield, mud that slows down heavier units, and how terrain can affect the effectiveness of different unit types.
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 377
    I hope it does well, what ToB did wrong. Even though I enjoyed it, it's obviously flawed in multiple aspects.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Warhammer 2
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Thrones of Britannia
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2
    8. Warhammer 1

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,310
    edited May 29
    These...

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/260248/suggestions-for-battles-of-troy#latest
    RafSwi7 said:

- I don't expect diverse rosters but I hope that battles will become more tactical, with terrain finally making a difference.

I really hope so.

Aside from that, shouldn't Paris work under Hector? If he has his own faction, he might have exactly the same roster with Hector.
  • AkisTheGReatestAkisTheGReatest Registered Users Posts: 28
    I want a game with even better campaign gameplay than Three Kingdoms (the best campaign in the series mechanics-wise)
    RafSwi7 said:

What I hope/expect to find in Troy:
    - Somewhat faithful retelling of Trojan War conflict with strong historical approach.
    - The best campaign gameplay (economy, diplomacy, religion, characters) among all Total War titles.
    - Generally speaking, being able to fight other factions on other areas than battlefields.
    - New endgame mechanics that will make that phase of gameplay more fun (more challenging enemies without AI cheating its way to the top)

First campaign:
    - Hector. I will try to follow the story (well, except with Troy surviving the war). After the main conflict I might try more peaceful approach and rather expand in Anatolia than taking revenge on Greeks.

Exactly my expectations with Troy as well. Only difference I will begin my first campaign with Odysseus and make sure that Troy burns as fast as possible so that I can return to my beautiful Penelope and my sweet Telemachus as fast as possible. Having said that I now wonder whether myths like that of Telegonus will make an appearance or if CA will only focus on the epics of Homer.
  • Achilles13Achilles13 Registered Users Posts: 196
    edited June 1
    My excseptations are quite high as beside a few qustionable mythical units what we know so far makes Troy perfect tw for me. I hope to see promised improvement of AI. Above others I would like to see alliance gaining some importance. In earlier games alliance was more like non-agression pact because our military allies, or even vassals often dont mind being involved in wars we participate. So nice thing for me would be if you enter military/defence alliance and as your ally get invaded and you dont react lets say by 10 turns your honor/reputation will decrease. and obviously it should work both sides. So thats one complex change because so far in all total wars alliances work rather wrong. I think best example is med2. More specific reffering to Troy I want to see more diverse battlefields with different terrain type, epic heroes duels having significant impact for the battle but not heroes being overpowered killing hundreds of men. I dont except game to be 100% realistic, I want to experience epic conflicts between heroes, heroic battles and impact of gods. So I want the game to have this mythical, epic spirit, not just wars for goods land and influence. So thats it about me. That way I find their "truth behind the myth approach" and homeric style.

First campaign? Definitely Aeneas. Playing dardanic factions seems for me like to be before hammer and anvil, thirst struggle with Acheans then face Hittites, quarrel over leadership of Anatolia. Aeneas was very brave, honorable and devoted for the gods he worshiped and thats the way I want to play.

Also hellenic myths contains a lot of kidnapping, so it would be nice to introduce brand new mechanics which will allow you to kidnap your rival family member during the raid, than he would have to pay a ransom or retake his kin by force. Actually this what the Illiad is about so it would be nice idea to implement.

So thats my ideas, excseptetions, hopes

Do you agree with me or do you want it another way?

Greetings to you fellow tw commanders!
    Post edited by Achilles13 on
    Shogun2, Med 2 and Rome 2 veteran, always playing very hard
  • TejaSchwarzhaarTejaSchwarzhaar Registered Users Posts: 162
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, Achilles13.

For me the first campaign will probably be Agamemnon as I am favouring the Acheans and Agamemnon should offer the most possibilties regarding diplomacy as you will have to be very active and dynamic, probably punishing renegades and having the great mission of razing Troy. I just hope my allies actually send armies to help me ;)
    I am really excited for playing a campaign that only leads to that one big siege which will hopefully take me years and have the fate of my realm decided at the gates of Troy.

Also, I visited Mycenae a few years ago and it was really impressive so I would like to rule over that mighty castle in the game.

Btw I want to find out if my wife murders me when I come home :D

Btw I want to find out if my wife murders me when I come home :D

@TejaSchwarzhaar There will surely be some storyline connected to that! They said every hero in some point will get quest specific to only to him - they mentioned Odysseus after sack of Troy (or not?) will have to fight his wife suitors occupying his homeland. So similar thing will probably occur with Agamemnon. I actually dont favourise either side of conflict, but Im a bit disapointed over lack of Diomedes, but I agree with you; playing Agamemnon as a leader of all the Acheans will surely be challenging and fascinating. Im excited because I find whole Idea of retelling the Illiad and playing as homeric heroes very appealing to me. Its great you've been there, seeing history so far gone by your own eyes and fingers! Also the place which was probably the center of mycenean Peloponese! - I've also been at Mycenae and I found it very cool... but it was in AC Odyssey :D Cheers!
  • TejaSchwarzhaarTejaSchwarzhaar Registered Users Posts: 162
    I really hope that they will introduce the story of the heroes in a creative and profound way. I.e. in Rome 2 there are some DLCs with special character stories but they aren't really exciting because you just resolve a dilemma every couple of turns.
    But I am really confident about that with Troy, because it is kind of the whole point of the game, at least if you try to roughly replay the Iliad.

Another thing I wonder about is how they will implement chariots to the game. In the Iliad there are both heroes who fight on their chariot and heroes who are dismounted. So there should probably be advantages for both ways.

And do you know whether there will be normal chariot units? If so, I really hope that the AI uses them in a proper way, not like in Rome 2...
    Yes, there will be chariot units both ranged and for charges. In Illiad every hero ride on a chariot to the moment he decide to step down and fight along side of his men. Then when they had to retreat or get injured they jump back into the chariots and ride away. Its kinda similar to celtic tactic best known from Queen's Boudika uprising. However it would be very hard to implement such a mechanics in the game so I dont know how will CA handle this one. And yes Rome2 chariots dont make their job right just as falang and a lot of gameplay mechanics including diplomacy, AI and this damn provincial division no matter who are you playing.. but still, like this game a lot.

From what we have seen in the trailer its more probable heroes will fight on foot. Also every hero can start a duel with another which wont be possible with one of them being dismounted and another riding chariot. So heroes will be either among infantry or they will use chariot only temporarily which is less probable because, as I mentioned, very hard to make.