Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Total War Saga: TROY - Limited Time Epic Exclusive, free to claim on launch

Comments

• EfixEfix Registered Users Posts: 280
    Well that's it rip CA from beloved innovative company to greedy shill. Shameful display ..... I hope steam will enforce their policy and remove the game.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,501

Guys can anyone explain me what's so wrong with EGS? It's just a middleman so whats this fuss all about?

compared to steam there are way less services and features for the player, like the workshop for the mods
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - UK
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Three kingdoms - Sun Jian
  • TB666TB666 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 45
    Argon said:

Guys can anyone explain me what's so wrong with EGS? It's just a middleman so whats this fuss all about?

compared to steam there are way less services and features for the player, like the workshop for the mods
    Or any sort of community features
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 430

There is no modding support and it means that people without an epic account need to wait a whole extra year for a game that is already finished.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Medieval 2
    4. Thrones of Britannia
    5. Warhammer 2
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,672

1) The exclusivity is wrong
    2) The 1 year exclusivity is doubly wrong
    To explain: Most TW Players are on steam. Steam also has the WOrkshop for easy mod use

3) Epic is owned to 49% or so by TenCent... a chinese company...
    4) Epic Store is missing features that Steam has had for years
    5) EXCLUSIVE FOR ONE YEAR, meanwhile they were going with "release 2020" on Steam til that announcement it seems

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN! TOTAL WAR TROY FOR ONE YEAR EXCLUSIVELY ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE!"

The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,803
    edited June 2
    Epic? Ah, that’s a shame.

@CA

Just for your stats I simply won’t but a game from EPIC Store, I’ll look forward to it coming in at cut price on its Steam release.
  • Pintbreaker81Pintbreaker81 Registered Users Posts: 19
    edited June 2
    Well, that's the first ever TW Game I'm not getting on release, I'm not even sure if I buy it on steam later on.
    Publish on evry Store you see fit, but doing exclusive stuff like this, it's taking a big dump on a very loyal fan base.
    I own evry game and evry DLC you ever released, but I don't want to get forced to get it on yet another **** Storefront. Even it's free to grab on release day, I don't care about the money, I glagly gave it to you because I love your games, it's about something that is called greed and not giving a feather about your loyal customers.
    If you guys doing this with WH3 it's gonna not end well....
    Post edited by BillyRuffian on
  • AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 2,503
    Steam users will need to wait a year AND have to pay for the game too.
  • CnConradCnConrad Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,163
    It's free for epic game store?

Does this mean I can download the epic store and get this game for free forever?

I'm interested.
  • ValraValra Registered Users Posts: 26
    This is one of the weirdest moves I have ever seen in the gaming industry and I'm not sure whether I feel happy or annoyed about it, probably both.
  • semenboy4000semenboy4000 Registered Users Posts: 1
    CA_James said:

Looking forward to TW WH 3 and the next major historical title being 1 year epic exclusive too, you...

We currently have no plans for any future games to be Epic exclusives. We do want to be more platform agnostic moving forward, and we would like future games to be available on the Epic Games Store, but that’s in addition to being available on other platforms such as Steam.
    So the way you're going about being more platform agnostic is by restricting access to one of your games to one storefront for a whole year?

Wouldn't putting it on both at the same time be more platform agnostic or am I going a bit loopy?
  • ArboschArbosch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8
    Stupid marketing decision. It give you more money but it will **** off a lot of your customers. No game is perfect and when people start playing a game only to find stuff which is not good they will find it. It will give a **** of bad reviews and hit you as a boomerang back in your face. The manager which made this decision will go to the developers and tell them what bad game they done because the bad reviews and tell them how Genius it was to make it EPIC only to get even a few money out of that a bad game. Sorry for the developers behind the product that they already are doomed to fight the EPIC haters now and not have to invest their time in make a good product. You lost bevor the game even gone live.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 492
    edited June 2
    I probably going to regret this, but why is there so much hate against epic?

I do not use it, but there are already so many different online-retailers and programs you must install if you want to play a certain game. Steam, Uplay, Origins etc.

Isn't Epic not just another one? Or is it for some reason worse than the burning fires of hell?

As a fan of the Anno and Mass Effect Series I am already used to use more than one game-plattform. I just activate my Uplay account when I want to play an Anno game, and ignore it otherwise. It is not that huge hurdle.

Sure it is not very convient for the player, but I would also not like it if steam would be a monopoly. Even today it is very strict with its pricing, if no sale is announced... And of course it is a promotion for the sale platform, if the game is free within the first 24 hours. But it is still a free total war game within the first 24 hours.

I know that many emotions are boiling right now, but could someone of you answer these question calmly without any swears or personal attacks?
  • MasonDestroMasonDestro Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2
    How much did Epic pay for exclusivity?
    Does that mean you don't have confidence in quality of this Game?
  • SASColferSASColfer Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 73
    Yeah bad move here CA. You're about to lose a lot credibility. The exclusive cannot be explained in any way other than a money-grab. You're worried that the SAGA series might flop and want some guaranteed cash. The free offer is purely to try and keep people quiet.

Without even considering the EPIC platform is rubbish compared to steam as mentioned above.
  • harryballskiharryballski Registered Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2
    CA_James said:

Looking forward to TW WH 3 and the next major historical title being 1 year epic exclusive too, you...

We currently have no plans for any future games to be Epic exclusives. We do want to be more platform agnostic moving forward, and we would like future games to be available on the Epic Games Store, but that’s in addition to being available on other platforms such as Steam.
    "Currently"
    sykall said:

I do not use it, but there are already so many different online-retailers and programs you must buy if you want to play a certain game. Steam, Uplay, Origins etc.

Isn't Epic not just another one? Or is it for some reason worse than the burning fires of hell?

As a fan of the Anno and Mass Effect Series I am already used to use more than one game-plattform. I just activate my Uplay account when I want to play an Anno game, and ignore it otherwise. It is not that huge hurdle.

Sure it is not very convient for the player, but I would also not like it if steam would be a monopoly. Even today it is very strict with its pricing, if no sale is announced... And of course it is a promotion for the sale platform, if the game is free within the first 24 hours. But it is still a free total war game within the first 24 hours.

I know that many emotions are boiling right now, but could someone of you answer these question calmly without any swears or personal attacks?

Its full of chinese spyware.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 3,371
    edited June 2

Epic is inferior to Steam in every way. Less features, no mods supports, etc.

It also doesn't help that they are forcing exclusivity by paying off developers instead of improving their **** platform. And let's put it this way: Epic did not buy Total War: Troy, they bought us. The players, or rather those who will cave and get it on Epic.

And CA gladly sold us to them.
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyRegistered Users Posts: 1,501
    sykall said:

I do not use it, but there are already so many different online-retailers and programs you must buy if you want to play a certain game. Steam, Uplay, Origins etc.

first of all ti doesn't have a mod support feature like the steam workshop, secondly I don't like their business model and approach to the consumer
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - UK
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
    Three kingdoms - Sun Jian

CA_James said:

"Currently"
    It always starts like that, then it gets worse.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Amonkhet said:

sykall said:

Its full of chinese spyware.
    If you download EGS Xi Jinping literally gets access to your soul. It's in the contract.
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 804
    Wut ? Free game ? I am on. Thanks CA.
    Why y'all complaining about a free game ? Crazies.
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 553
    One year exclusivity for Epic
    Denuvo
    No mod workshop
    No cross play

mkay...waiting for proper platform 2021...

#Im_sick_of_this_crap

Shame on CA shame
  • TB666TB666 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 45

CA_James said:

So the way you're going about being more platform agnostic is by restricting access to one of your games to one storefront for a whole year?

Wouldn't putting it on both at the same time be more platform agnostic or am I going a bit loopy?
    Epic only allows non-exclusive games on their store if they are huge AAA games like Red Dead 2 and such.
    For games like TW-series which is a niche game genre it's either exclusive or get lost.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,715
    OK, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it was on the Epic Game Store as well as Steam.

It wouldn't even bother me that much if Troy was exclusive to EGS for the first month of release.

But exclusive to EGS for a full year? There's literally zero reason for that, and the argument that it helps bring more players to the game is honestly a bit rubbish. Surely you'd reach players on EGS even without the exclusivity, so why the need for it?
    And by the time the game releases on Steam, CA could well have just dropped support for it like Thrones of Britannia.

I mean... I guess a bit of healthy competition is always a good thing, and having other platforms apart from Steam is a good thing for players/customers. But rather than hurling wads of cash at developers for year-long exclusivity deals in order to practically drag players onto their platform, maybe EGS should put that money into building a better service and platform to encourage players/customers to join.
  • EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 430
    united84 said:

I don't care if it's free, there's no modding support, cross play and it isn't on steam. They told all of us steam users to f*ck ourselves for a whole year.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Medieval 2
    4. Thrones of Britannia
    5. Warhammer 2
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,924
    Never mind me... just brought some popcorn to see people complaining about free stuff.
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 553
    united84 said:

Yeah. You have idea how much money CA got from my wallet? I was prepare to pre-order Troy at Steam..quess what now. Waiting for steam sale.

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 2,840
    sykall said:

There's an entire subreddit devoted to the matter, can't post a link cause the reddit name has an expletive in it. Google "epic games controversy reddit", second link down in the search results gets you to the subreddit, after that click on the top pinned thread in the sub. It tells you everything you need to know.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.
  • gholingholin Member Registered Users Posts: 1,165
    edited June 2
    Oh you **** me off with this exclusive anti-consumer BS, CA! Taking bribes now? I can't believe you actually did this. Exclusivity is the worst possible thing you could have done. Why not just release on all platforms so we can choose where we buy it if you're going to do this?

Free is a great price, but not enough to make me want to be on Epic. I've already had their crappy launcher on my system and it's been a clunker the whole time. The problem with "free" is people don't value it as much. You will find Troy to be the least selling of all your games and probably the one that gets forgotten fastest.
    So no thanks.

God I hate this year. Just one more thing to be disappointed about.