Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

You better not make Warhammer 3 an Epic exclusive

FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 5,332
edited June 2020 in Total War General Chat
In case you missed it, A Total War Saga: TROY was revealed today to be a one-year exclusive on the Epic Store.

Just so you know, CA, if WH3 turns out to be an Epic exclusive too, you'll face a far greater backlash than any you've had so far. Don't do this to your fans who stayed loyal for the Warhammer journey.

[Edit] The official CA explanation:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

Comments

• capybarasiesta89#4722capybarasiesta89#4722 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,463
    It says on FB that no future titles will be Epic exclusive.
    h1feizw8yzk6.jpg
  • EmeraldThanatos#7267EmeraldThanatos#7267 Registered Users Posts: 2,927
    I don't think they would do that but then again, we never thought they would do that for TROY so...
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Attila
    3. Warhammer (1, 2 & 3)
    4. Medieval 2
    5. Shogun 2
    6. Thrones
    7. Rome 2
    8. Napoleon
    9. Empire

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    edited June 2020
    I guess they accepted that Troy will be fail as it tries to appeal to two fanbases while perfectly pleasing no one in the end, and have decided to take some money from Epic instead.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • WhySoSalty#3990WhySoSalty#3990 Registered Users Posts: 1,524
    edited June 2020
    Would make 0 Sense. Warhammer is a Trilogy so what do the owner of the previous content have to do? Buy everything on Epic again or wait for months or a year?

Imagine the hate and the ****. Even CA isnt That dumb
    Post edited by WhySoSalty#3990 on
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• PetromirPetromir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,157
    logistically the previous games/dlcs being DLCs for the current one wouldn't work with it.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 5,332
    At least they confirmed that it's only Troy for now, but plans can change over time. I hope they keep true to their words.
  • unepatateunepatate Registered Users Posts: 132
    Reghis said:

Wohls make 0 Sense. Warhammer is a Trilogy so what do the owner of the previous content have to do? Buy everything on Epic again or wait for months or a year?

yeah it's just impossible
  • Alchimist#7739Alchimist#7739 Registered Users Posts: 392
    edited June 2020
    Troy went for the Epic deal because it's a much smaller title than Warhammer, or any main Total War games for that matter. If I recall correctly Thrones of Britannia didn't sell that well, and Epic must have gave them a good amount of money, enough to cover the development cost and make some profit, to get both exclusivity and a free to keep deal.

Warhammer will never be an exclusivity because the licence has more weight than Troy and they'd cut themselves from the Steam market which is bigger than Epic's, but also from Steam features such as the Workshop which add value to the game.
  • Goatforce#6625Goatforce#6625 Registered Users Posts: 8,467
    They can't make WH3 Epic exclusive, as it connects to the previous 2 titles using Steam - and they confirmed no other titles would be exclusive. Stop the scaremongering nonsence, Epic exclusives are scummy but if you actually look at the info and give it a moments thought it would be obvious that it won't happen to WH 3.
    Reghis said:

Wohls make 0 Sense. Warhammer is a Trilogy so what do the owner of the previous content have to do? Buy everything on Epic again or wait for months or a year?

Probably a poor comparison, but that's exactly what they did for the Metro franchise. They probably won't do it now, but could you say the same thing in a few months? Who knows.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,256
    edited June 2020
    A company going Epic exclusive with any one of there games is a really poor choice, but with a smaller side project like TROY it's relatively safe. There is absolutely no way a company would do that in the final game in a trilogy, when said games combine together to create something bigger; owning WH1 and 2 on Steam won't be compatible with WH3 on EPIC for obvious reasons, they know it so it would be a willing financial suicide for the company. We can all rest assured regarding WH3 for that reason.

As for TROY? I never cared, but even if I did, no way would I go for Epic. Their storefront, despite free game offers, is not customer friendly and practically spyware IMO; for all of it's flaws, Steam is leagues ahead.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,172
    CA just hates their Saga titles.

Goatforce said:

Amonkhet said:

Sold out to China, wow.

Epic isn't a Chinese company, what are you talking about?
    They are partially owned by Tencent, which is a chinese company with a very poor reputation, to say the least.
  • Patrikseve#8733Patrikseve#8733 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,129
    Reghis said:

They probably got a good deal to bring a tw game to Epic... they will likely sell more games there to in the future. I dont see a big problem with selling games on multiple stores. Also they are giving away a brand new game completely for free. And have given a promise as a company not to do any more time exclusive deals and thats something you can hold a company to. I wouldnt be suprised if the trilogy might end up on Epic aswell at the same time as Steam thats a non issue similar to if they also released it on Winstore, Uplay, Bethesta Store, Battlenet, Origins, Gog and the list goes on. The more consumers they reach the better for TW. But alas... time exclusives are bad and we agree on that. I will happily claim a free copy and likely enjoy the game.
  • GobsmakaGobsmaka Registered Users Posts: 282
    Disappointing, I hope Troy isn't that good now I definetly won't be getting it. can't see wh3 getting the same treatment though fingers xed.
  • TheMadTypistTheMadTypist Registered Users Posts: 596
    Welp. I just went from marginally interested in trying out Troy as my first historical title to not giving a damn, just as well epic pays publishers to profitability in advance.
  • Eth3ryas#4364Eth3ryas#4364 Registered Users Posts: 1,108
    Fossoway said:

In case you missed it, A Total War Saga: TROY was revealed today to be a one-year exclusive on the Epic Store.

Just so you know, CA, if WH3 turns out to be an Epic exclusive too, you'll face a far greater backlash than any you've had so far. Don't do this to your fans who stayed loyal for the Warhammer journey.

Thank you for that, that date is now on my desktop so I don't forget since wasn't going to buy the game in the first place.
    Don't worry WH3 won't be an exclusive for sure, CA knows Troy might fail since Thrones of Bretannia failed hard that's why they are doing this, but this is not the case for WH3 which is already a succes even though it wasn't even revealed yet.
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,601
    I suppose CA doesn't have high expectations about troy sales so making it epic exclusive for a ton of money didn't bother them at all. I don't think they will do it to warhammer.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • Eth3ryas#4364Eth3ryas#4364 Registered Users Posts: 1,108
    edited June 2020
    Fossoway said:

Also one more thing, Epic is a much better platform than steam. They are giving out a lot of free stuff (game creation assests and free games) when steam doesn't give you ****. This was a great move from CA.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian#6250 on
  • VladdyVladdy Registered Users Posts: 477
    I saw the notification about troy and I thought "interesting".
    I didn't read or see nothimg about it.
    Now I know it is an epic esclusive I will not bothered to watch the trailer.
    Alchimist said:

Troy went for the Epic deal because it's a much smaller title than Warhammer, or any main Total War games for that matter. If I recall correctly Thrones of Britannia didn't sell that well, and Epic must have gave them a good amount of money, enough to cover the development cost and make some profit, to get both exclusivity and a free to keep deal.

Warhammer will never be an exclusivity because the licence has more weight than Troy and they'd cut themselves from the Steam market which is bigger than Epic's, but also from Steam features such as the Workshop which add value to the game.

I can't see any financial logic in a business model that has you giving away a one time purchase product to customers for free when said product is so resource intensive to produce, especially when all you need to do as the custom is to click a button from the convenience of your computer or cell phone.
    edited June 2020
    Zafras said:

Fossoway said:

Also one more thing, Epic is a much better platform than steam. They are giving out a lot of free stuff (gaming assests and free games) when steam doesn't give you ****. This was a great move from CA.
    Epic is also a subpar platform compared to Steam. There's no mod support, for example, among many other features.

And personally, I don't like being strong-armed into playing on something that may or may not be a Spyware.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian#6250 on
  • BeelzeBeelze Registered Users Posts: 341
    I would rather dip my computer in oil and set it on fire than install that spyware on it.

But I dont care about Troy.. And I dont think they will do an exclusive for Warhammer..
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    Well it makes skipping Troy easier (I'm still busy enough with WH2 that I'm not thirsting for a new TW and on its own it doesn't sound too interesting).

As many others have said:
    from the logistics of having game1&2 and its DLC's in one store and 3 in the other, should very firmly ban this possibility.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,499
    Oh well, that answers my question as to whether I'll get it or not. No, I shan't.

I'd be all for an alternative to Steam, just not such a one as Epic, that's becoming so simply by splurging money to get exclusives whilst giving a poor customer experience and an unfinished interface.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.

Welp. I just went from marginally interested in trying out Troy as my first historical title to not giving a damn, just as well epic pays publishers to profitability in advance.

Get Medieval 2: Total War on steam, it's far cheaper than most games and goes on sale regularly. An oldie but IMO the best historical title the ever did, even if it utilizes the old engine. Plus amazing general speeches, lol.
  • gekj#8548gekj#8548 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 411
    I they make a epic exlsivity for WH3 i will never buy a CA game again for life.
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,682
    Guess I'll get it on 13 august 2021 on steam at half off, if its still on my mind by then. They either got one big paycheck from Epic or they arent confident in Troy at all.
  • SiWI#8629SiWI#8629 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,014
    Rikis said:

Guess I'll get it on 13 august 2021 on steam at half off, if its still on my mind by then. They either got one big paycheck from Epic or they arent confident in Troy at all.

why not both?
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892