Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

You better not make Warhammer 3 an Epic exclusive

Comments

• Goatforce#6625Goatforce#6625 Registered Users Posts: 8,467
    edited June 2020
    Zafras said:

Fossoway said:

In case you missed it, A Total War Saga: TROY was revealed today to be a one-year exclusive on the Epic Store.

Just so you know, CA, if WH3 turns out to be an Epic exclusive too, you'll face a far greater backlash than any you've had so far. Don't do this to your fans who stayed loyal for the Warhammer journey.

[Edit] The official CA explanation:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

Also one more thing, Epic is a much better platform than steam. They are giving out a lot of free stuff (gaming assests and free games) when steam doesn't give you ****. This was a great move from CA.
    Wtf are you talking about? As far as I have seen they still do not allow user reviews, which is pretty bad and have horrific customer service (https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.epicgames.com).

Also they bribe companies to abandon promises to their customers (kickstarters being poached off of Steam), and those free games are payed for pretty much from addicting children to gambling on Fortnight lootboxes :lol:

Epic are an awful company, all you have to do is look at their (and EA's) testimony to the UK Houses of Parliament on their lootboxes and general unethical business practices
    Post edited by BillyRuffian#6250 on
  • lewisveelewisvee Registered Users Posts: 34
    KronusX said:

Imagine making me have to buy a second High King Edition just to play Immortal Empires, or wait a year.

I almost want CA to do it for the sheer thrill.

Luckly for you, WH3 might be 2 years. One year for the Epic Exclusive, then another year for Mortal Empires including WH1/WH2/WH3 races.
    I just read a nightmare scenario. I know ca won’t **** us over but that’s a scary thought.
  • Reeks#2417Reeks#2417 Registered Users Posts: 10,378

Reeks said:

"Meh" Who cares what platform the games run on, and what´s that they are actually giving Troy away for free lol.

They do come out swinging the guy´s and gals over at Epic....That´s for sure.

wanna rebuy everything all over at epic to play the combined game 3 map
    Cross platform is a thing on epic tho, do i know if it would be possible with TW games nope, but i know it is with other games.

Nurgle is love

Nurgle is life

#JusticeForNurglingForumAvatars
  • MeGa_N00B#2436MeGa_N00B#2436 Registered Users Posts: 1,143
    Trailers so far have been bad. No proper gameplay.

Also epic exclusive, man CA really has no trust in this product.
  • innerpinnerp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 982
    LolTHELol said:

this game is looking like something you find at the pound shop. what developer lets a brand new release go for free unless they have no faith in its quality lol
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 2,464
    lewisvee said:

KronusX said:

Imagine making me have to buy a second High King Edition just to play Immortal Empires, or wait a year.

I almost want CA to do it for the sheer thrill.

Luckly for you, WH3 might be 2 years. One year for the Epic Exclusive, then another year for Mortal Empires including WH1/WH2/WH3 races.
    I just read a nightmare scenario. I know ca won’t **** us over but that’s a scary thought.
    But do you really know? Would you have thought that Todd Howard, the one that was behind Elder scrolls would bring out Fallout 76 along with all the extra baggage?
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,824
    edited June 2020
    Zafras said:

Fossoway said:

In case you missed it, A Total War Saga: TROY was revealed today to be a one-year exclusive on the Epic Store.

Just so you know, CA, if WH3 turns out to be an Epic exclusive too, you'll face a far greater backlash than any you've had so far. Don't do this to your fans who stayed loyal for the Warhammer journey.

Also one more thing, Epic is a much better platform than steam. They are giving out a lot of free stuff (game creation assests and free games) when steam doesn't give you ****. This was a great move from CA.
    No, its really not. Its bare bones. Lacks a modding Workshop. Its garbage compared to Steam. Steam is years ahead of Epic in terms of overall functionality and user friendliness.
    Post edited by BillyRuffian#6250 on
  • bippuktbippukt Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 107
    A lot of people said the same thing when Civ 5 was made to require Steam. I think even I might have. But ultimately, most people accepted it. I bought it when it was 67% off. I have not bought Anno 1800 due to not being on Steam, but won't last forever.

Anyway, free Troy might encourage me to finally use Epic Store, which is probably what the aim is.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,477
    Goatforce said:

Amonkhet said:

Sold out to China, wow.

Epic isn't a Chinese company, what are you talking about?
    TenCent, an ultimately Chinese government controlled company, has a majority stake in Epic, nearly controlling but not quite afaik.

For the record, TenCent helped censor the media to cover up all things coronavirus (sars-cov-2) in china via their social apps and internet provisions, etc, as early as December 6, 2019. (this is established fact, btw)

They also own large stakes in a great many gaming companies, and control a massive portion of mobile-gaming in general.

This why people refer to it as they do. You are correct that Epic is not a Chinese company, but follow the money and look at the scale and you'll see why people sometimes make the claim.

I am guessing that EGS told CA that they needed to do this to even get access to their platform for future releases.

It's a low move.
    edited June 2020
    Zafras said:

Fossoway said:

Also one more thing, Epic is a much better platform than steam. They are giving out a lot of free stuff (game creation assests and free games) when steam doesn't give you ****. This was a great move from CA.
    Bread and circuses and bribing companies. Yep. Great company... gotta love free stuff. Always support people who give you stuff for free! Their motives are pure and good and righteous! Do whatever they say! MORE FREE STUFF!
    innerp said:

LolTHELol said:

this game is looking like something you find at the pound shop. what developer lets a brand new release go for free unless they have no faith in its quality lol
    It's not free...

EGS pays massive boatloads of cash up front for exclusivity.

CA has already made money on this. They will continue to do so for a year.

Being free has nothing to do with the quality of the game. It's just how epic bribes people over.
  • #62679#62679 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 15
    It is a bad sign for Warhmmer 3 and other games they will develop. I don't think they will make WH 3 EPIC only because it is a license and it will give a lot of problems when they get more profit but the licence holder loose money because the deals they have. I think this is not the real problem here. I sucks for Troy and i will not buy it from EPIC and in one year it have to be better then newer games which will come out in this year. I don't know if this will be the case in one year.

The real problem is, that this is a manager decision and i don't think the one which work on the product really like the decision they done. Troy is already burned before it is released. The one which worked for years on it will have to live with the decision. We all know how it sucks when the chef make decisions and get the money and you as worker only get the bad side from the deal. This lead to frustration and now the problem start. Frustrated workers don't do a good job. They only do what is needed. This lead to bad products. Why should they invest that much in a game when the management destroy it with the decision they do. The real talented guys will also not accept it and simple leave the company. Talented guys can not be replaced that simple. Don't make it easier to develop great games for the futur.
  • gekj#8548gekj#8548 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 411
    edited June 2020
    WH3 exclusive is going more and more obvious now.

Just think about.

It's not a coincidence if they "test" the epic exclusive on the game just before WH3. They only want to test the backslash of the epic exclusivity on a neutral game that they don't care about. To test if the main part on community with unflinchingly accept that. The epic exclu is not a recent thing, it's almost 2 years that they've started this. So question you : WHY NOW ?

Second, why epic would accept such a deal ? Giving the game for free in the fisrt 24h ? total war are niches games and the major part of player who could get it will get it for free. So Epic has nothing to win with this unless they have something behind with CA, like a big one, like a WH3 which is part of the most famous CA game.

CA is just trying to tell us a story, thinking the community is too stupid to know what's gonna happen.

I tell you, if nothing happen, if noone complain about troy, WH3 is 100% going to be epic time exclusive.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,759
    If Epic offers CA a bag of cash why not? Good for them, good for the game, good for the fans.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,566

If Epic offers CA a bag of cash why not? Good for them, good for the game, good for the fans.

how is it good for customers ?

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

If the money is reinvested into TWW3.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
    edited June 2020

Riiiiiiight. Promise a game releasing in 2020 on steam - then backstab and make it 2021 because its releasing on EGS in 2020 instead... yeah... REAL good for the customers. What are you smoking today, Gorilla, and where can I get some?

Everyone just eating up that free **** mobile... kinda disgusting. Are your principles so cheap?
  • gekj#8548gekj#8548 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 411

Good for them maybe. For game and players I don't think so.

If tomorrow, you will have your job guaranteed for life with you wage x4, I am sure you will be much less efficient.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927

And why would it be? You don't exactly go to make a profit just to use it again.

As for overall customer benevolence, EGS doesn't have modding support, which for a Total War game is equivalent to suicide.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,566

but how do you switch platforms will i ave to re buy every thing to play the full combined map?
    will there be spyware in epic?
    even CA is not sure if its 100% safe

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,824

Epic is an awful platform though. Bare-bones as hell compared to Steam.

Honestly, if CA wanted to put their game(s) on another platform, they should have picked GOG instead.
  • RAMPZYRAMPZY Junior Member BelgiumRegistered Users Posts: 219
    edited June 2020
    "We want to reach new audiences" but we abandon our loyal fans... good marketing strategy, should tell my boss tomorrow.

Also no plans to have another exclusive in the future, yet a year or so ago they said they didnt want anything to do with exclusive deals, better ready up for TW:Warhammer 3 and any future game CA puts out to be EGS exclusive guys.

Itharus said:

Riiiiiiight. Promise a game releasing in 2020 on steam - then backstab and make it 2021 because its releasing on EGS in 2020 instead... yeah... REAL good for the customers. What are you smoking today, Gorilla, and where can I get some?

Everyone just eating up that free **** mobile... kinda disgusting. Are your principles so cheap?
    Mobile games are terrible.

I just woke up, and I don't smoke anything.

In that scenario you get it in 2020 on EGS anyway, and all the DLCs are transferred over. It's too much work to actually do unless the bag is REALLY big, hence why it won't happen, but still.
  • MeGa_N00B#2436MeGa_N00B#2436 Registered Users Posts: 1,143
    gekj said:

Just think about.

It's not a coincidence if they "test" the epic exclusive on the game just before WH3. They only want to test the backslash of the epic exclusivity on a neutral game that they don't care about. To test if the main part on community with unflinchingly accept that. The epic exclu is not a recent thing, it's almost 2 years that they've started this. So question you : WHY NOW ?

Second, why epic would accept such a deal ? Giving the game for free in the fisrt 24h ? total war are niches games and the major part of player who could get it will get it for free. So Epic has nothing to win with this unless they have something behind with CA, like a big one, like a WH3 which is part of the most famous CA game.

CA is just trying to tell us a story, thinking the community is too stupid to know what's gonna happen.

I tell you, if nothing happen, if noone complain about troy, WH3 is 100% going to be epic time exclusive.

I genuinely believe WH 3 will be in best case released at both platforms, epic and steam.

In worst case Epic will get exclusive and anyone who purchases in on there will get game 1 and 2 as free.
    LolTHELol said:

gekj said:

Just think about.

I genuinely believe WH 3 will be in best case released at both platforms, epic and steam.

In worst case Epic will get exclusive and anyone who purchases in on there will get game 1 and 2 as free.
    On facebook they have said only Troy would be exclusive but in the future they do want to release on EGS and steam at the same time, so if they want to do that in the future, why cant they do it for Troy unless they want to test the backlash for potentially doing the same for TW:W3?
  • OrderOfTheWhiteWolfOrderOfTheWhiteWolf Registered Users Posts: 163
    Even though CA has stated it has no plans to make future games exclusive, $$$ can change that instantly.

It’s very well possible that a WH3 Epic deal allows WH1/WH2 and all the DLC with it to be made available on EPIC, or included for free in the WH3 game.
  • Prkl8r#9998Prkl8r#9998 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,242
    Reghis said:

Would make 0 Sense. Warhammer is a Trilogy so what do the owner of the previous content have to do? Buy everything on Epic again or wait for months or a year?

Imagine the hate and the ****. Even CA isnt That dumb

Tell that to Mass Effect. 1 and 2 were on steam and 3 was exclusive to Origin. Granted that's EA but just pointing out that it's happened before.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,787
    Folks, this discussion has moved completely away from the OP's thread topic of discussion and into a complete business discussion. Nothing in to last couple of pages of posted comments refers to anything having to do with Warhammer.

Moved to Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726

Sometimes I have to wonder.

How is being forced to go to a platform not of my choosing good for me? That is just plain stupid.
    Nyxilis said:

Sometimes I have to wonder.

How is being forced to go to a platform not of my choosing good for me? That is just plain stupid.
    It's not, say whatever you want about steam but they make the launcher appealing so customers come out of their own choosing. EGS knows they have a bad launcher design so instead of luring customers they lure in the company and hope the playerbase follows.