Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Quite the sum of cash.

ROMOBOY#7812ROMOBOY#7812 Registered Users Posts: 4,823
edited June 2020 in Total War General Chat

Hope I don’t get in trouble for this. Today was just a gold mine for memes!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Tagged:

Comments

• TheGuardianOfMetal#3661TheGuardianOfMetal#3661 Senior Member GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 14,701
    can't argue with that.
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • Barrel02Barrel02 Registered Users Posts: 97
    Did they seriously confirm that WH3 will be Epic Store exclusive for 1 year?
  • ROMOBOY#7812ROMOBOY#7812 Registered Users Posts: 4,823
    Barrel02 said:

No. It’s just something people are worrying about.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

• GobsmakaGobsmaka Registered Users Posts: 282
    You forgot the part where getting Troy on epic game store is only "Relatively safe for you" as stated by CA in the offical announcement.
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 2,464
    Gobsmaka said:

You forgot the part where getting Troy on epic game store is only "Relatively safe for you" as stated by CA in the offical announcement.

That alone tells me everything. When a developer cannot tell me that the platform used is totally safe, but rather ''relatively safe'', I know some **** is going on.
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,229
    Barrel02 said:

ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

No one reasonable thinks that. At least I hope they don't.
    It's a beta.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,566
    Gobsmaka said:

Eh what are they stupid. Even if it is true why state it .

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,763
    ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

100% won’t happen.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • Bonutz#3949Bonutz#3949 Registered Users Posts: 5,763
    I must say btw, Romo, you’ve been killing it with these spongebob memes. It’s amazing how applicable they are to any type of situation lol.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • PilthoidPilthoid Registered Users Posts: 287
    It’s not a good gesture actually. What it does is it gets you to do business with the other store and then to hopefully think of that other store in a better light, prepping you to do more business there. No thanks. Keep Troy unless it’s on steam
  • DaGangster#8697DaGangster#8697 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,917
    Wow.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • Mogwai_Man#4978Mogwai_Man#4978 Registered Users Posts: 6,096
    Good thing I wasn't planning on playing Troy anyway. But it is a concern for their other releases in the future.
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,824
    If they did this to WH3, I would stop playing and buying CA and TW games where I stand at that moment of discovering the news.
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,824
    ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

They'd have to slap WH1 and WH2 on Epic. And we'd be forced to buy them all again. Talk about awful if that happened. They'd lose customers in droves.
  • RockNRolla92#9743RockNRolla92#9743 Registered Users Posts: 2,294
    edited June 2020
    Kelefane said:

If they did this to WH3, I would stop playing and buying CA and TW games where I stand at that moment of discovering the news.

I'm at the point where I'm not buying anything else until they confirm they aren't and they actually follow through.

"Wants to be platform agnostic in future, puts game on Epic store exclusive for a year..." if you want to be platform agnostic put your game on all platforms, if Epic is telling you that you have to be exclusive to use their platform then tell them to jog on
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,172
    This is absolutely disgusting and OP is right.

• #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,499
    I'm more annoyed at the phrase "platform agnostic".

It makes no sense, even as a metaphor.

For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,414
    You guys are funny.

What, you think they're going to make it an Epic exclusive and force you to rebuy all the DLC?

There's this thing called suicide, where you do something like slit your wrists, eat a bottle of asperin, shoot yourself in the head(avoid this one, seriously, soooo many people screw the pooch with this one), hang yourself, etc.

Such a move would be a spectacular way to do it. Really spectacular.

If they made it an Epic exclusive, so what? They'd do something to link accounts and port all your DLC. You guys have brand loyalty to Steam or something? The platform hasn't dicked you in the ass enough with allowing third party activation schemes that don't work right, buggy loaders that delay your activities, and connectivity requirements that prevented you from playing your own damn purchases whenever there's some kind of connection problem with some tool company's server?
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726
    I have refused to buy epic exclusives especially after they tanked kickstarters over the fans that funded those creations.

Just means inwill not buy Troy till thay exclusivity ends now if at all. I refuse to reward that behavior. Enjoy your silver CA.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,172
    psychoak said:

You guys are funny.

What, you think they're going to make it an Epic exclusive and force you to rebuy all the DLC?

There's this thing called suicide, where you do something like slit your wrists, eat a bottle of asperin, shoot yourself in the head(avoid this one, seriously, soooo many people screw the pooch with this one), hang yourself, etc.

If they made it an Epic exclusive, so what? They'd do something to link accounts and port all your DLC. You guys have brand loyalty to Steam or something? The platform hasn't dicked you in the ass enough with allowing third party activation schemes that don't work right, buggy loaders that delay your activities, and connectivity requirements that prevented you from playing your own damn purchases whenever there's some kind of connection problem with some tool company's server?

No, EGS just steals yea data and sends it to Tencent, then to CCP.

psychoak said:

Who are you, Rasputin?

Slitting your wrists would probably be enough, plus it's hard to hold an Aspirin bottle with severed tendons.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • ROMOBOY#7812ROMOBOY#7812 Registered Users Posts: 4,823
    edited June 2020
    Epic Games store ain’t even got a shopping cart 😂

If they want to reach out to a bigger audience (nobody has Epic Games store and doesn’t have Steam also) then they wouldn’t have made a exclusivity deal. There’s so much hypocrisy in that blog of theirs.

• FinishingLast#1402FinishingLast#1402 Registered Users Posts: 4,860
    KronusX said:

Gobsmaka said:

That alone tells me everything. When a developer cannot tell me that the platform used is totally safe, but rather ''relatively safe'', I know some **** is going on.
    If a developer is telling you a platform is totally safe they are lying to you. I guess being told a lie you like is better than a truth you don't.
    SiWI: "no they just hate you and I don't blame them."

" if you want to be platform agnostic put your game on all platforms

If they want to be platform agnostic, they shouldn't put them on ANY platforms, because the existence of platforms or otherwise is unknowable.

Oooh, I'm getting old, things like this never used to bother me..
    Amonkhet said:

psychoak said:

You guys are funny.

No, EGS just steals yea data and sends it to Tencent, then to CCP.
    No evidence of this. Steam collects tons of data on you too. Epic is on the record stating Tencent is only a shareholder and has no access to data. I'm sure some of you own stock in companies without having access to customer data. If you're freaking out over the China connection, you're seriously overreacting in how much interest the Chinese government has in your friends list.

I say this as someone who is actually paranoid. As in I sleep with a gun and don't like people walking behind me.
    Arsenic said:

psychoak said:

Who are you, Rasputin?

Slitting your wrists would probably be enough, plus it's hard to hold an Aspirin bottle with severed tendons.
    Rasputin? **** that commie. Capitalism all the way. :)
  • MonochromaticSpider#5650MonochromaticSpider#5650 Registered Users Posts: 2,178
    psychoak said:

You guys are funny.

You never know. Depends on how much money Epic are offering, obviously.

There's this funny joke that describes the situation extremely well.

Man: Would you sleep with me if I gave you a million dollars?
    Woman: Sure.
    Man: Would you sleep with me if I gave you five bucks?
    Woman: Hell no! What do you think I am, some kind of prostitute?
    Man: I think we've already established that, now we're just bartering over the price.

EGS is unconscionable garbage. The platform is not designed with user friendliness in mind, it provides sod all new features and falls way short of alternatives, and the strategy behind it is fairly obviously the opposite of user appeal, which is why Epic is pouring uncountable millions and millions from Fortnite into simply buying their market position. And the Tencent-CCP thing doesn't help, obviously.

Taking money for an exclusivity deal is quite simply proof positive that CA as a company doesn't have a problem with trying to push their customers onto garbage platforms, as long as CA themselves get paid. It is not a good look.

The alternative interpretation, that CA are simply hedging their bets in case Troy does a ToB, is of course reasonable, but it's not like CA won't be promoting Troy, which leads us right back to CA promoting the pile of doggie poo that is EGS.

If CA wants to be on more platforms then get on GOG already. That might seriously make me rebuy a whole lot of stuff, because GOG is awesome. But that's not happening, is it? Because that would be a user-friendly move and CA just isn't that kind of hippies, are they? Or at least their Sega overlords aren't, which adds up to pretty much the same thing.

Oh, and no, I don't have brand loyalty to Steam, but right now TWWH is Steam exclusive, so I don't have a choice. I do have brand loyalty to GOG and I would quit the game rather than even contemplating installing the EGS launcher. That's just me being old-fashioned and conservative, I suppose.
  • RockNRolla92#9743RockNRolla92#9743 Registered Users Posts: 2,294
    Arsenic said:

" if you want to be platform agnostic put your game on all platforms

If they want to be platform agnostic, they shouldn't put them on ANY platforms, because the existence of platforms or otherwise is unknowable.

Oooh, I'm getting old, things like this never used to bother me..
    Ahh you do have a point there. It's commonly used like this in the software world for some reason
  • bli-nk#6314bli-nk#6314 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,979
    edited June 2020
    I think what CA means by platform agnostic is that they do not want Valve counting on that 30% cut of every game which is legitimate. At one point Valve was providing a unique service and had a lot of growing costs. Now Valve is 12% worldwide PC games sales and has more competition and is not investing in new services and support to the degree they once did so why continue to pay 30% when competitors like Epic are asking for only 15% or less?
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.” Mark Twain
    Maybe I'm just too cynical, but companies are supposed to be fairly mercenary. If EGS wants to throw money at them, then they have to weigh the cost benefits of that better deal.

It is a better deal too. Taking a 30% cut for doing jack diddly isn't exactly fair, and no matter how user friendly Steam is, it's a **** pile for AAA developers. The ability to get visibility on the platform is buried under spam updates, news posts, and garbage releases from "indy devs" with shovelware projects. Trying to compete with every troll on the internet on an even footing with your 100 million dollar AAA release, is crazy.

If EGS' overly aggressive license agreement and crappy application are a big loser, then they'll find out here with Troy.
  • KronusXKronusX Registered Users Posts: 2,464

KronusX said:

Gobsmaka said:

If a developer is telling you a platform is totally safe they are lying to you. I guess being told a lie you like is better than a truth you don't.
    The fact they had to re-assure us about the platform being ''safe'' in the first place is shady.