Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Quite the sum of cash.

2»

Comments

• GobsmakaGobsmaka Registered Users Posts: 282
    Ichon said:

I think what CA means by platform agnostic is that they do not want Valve counting on that 30% cut of every game which is legitimate. At one point Valve was providing a unique service and had a lot of growing costs. Now Valve is 12% worldwide PC games sales and has more competition and is not investing in new services and support to the degree they once did so why continue to pay 30% when competitors like Epic are asking for only 15% or less?

Because 48% of the money on epic goes straight to tencent then to the ccp, I dont buy caged eggs, I'm certainly not supporting caged humans. If epic could match other platforms for features, stability or security I still wouldn't support them.
  • BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 915
    Man: Would you sleep with me if I gave you a million dollars?
    Woman: Sure.
    Man: Would you sleep with me if I gave you five bucks?
    Woman: Hell no! What do you think I am, some kind of prostitute?
    Man: I think we've already established that, now we're just bartering over the price.

To the 5 bucks i would have have replied; what do you think i am some street-cracker-prostitute.
  • Pico0Pico0 Registered Users Posts: 284

If CA wants to be on more platforms then get on GOG already. That might seriously make me rebuy a whole lot of stuff, because GOG is awesome. But that's not happening, is it? Because that would be a user-friendly move and CA just isn't that kind of hippies, are they? Or at least their Sega overlords aren't, which adds up to pretty much the same thing.

Oh, and no, I don't have brand loyalty to Steam, but right now TWWH is Steam exclusive, so I don't have a choice. I do have brand loyalty to GOG and I would quit the game rather than even contemplating installing the EGS launcher. That's just me being old-fashioned and conservative, I suppose.

This. I understand that the 30% cut of steam price is annoying to CA/SEGA, but if they had to release the games on another platform why not GOG ?

It is miles ahead of EGS customer experience wise, and honestly I'm not sure EGS has any kind of extra visibility for strategy games demographic, while on GOG you already have some classics RTS like Heroes of might & magic, Homeworld, Stellaris available.

For info I just checked EGS in strategy category there is like 30 games (and not all of them are from big fracnhise), while on GOG you have hundred of them. If they want to appeal to strategy games customer base, GOG seem like a safer choice in my opinion. They could also release older title like Medieval/Shogun on GOG.

Please CA don't go EGS exclusive for TWW3.
  • Xenos777Xenos777 Registered Users Posts: 8,038
    Arsenic said:

" if you want to be platform agnostic put your game on all platforms

If they want to be platform agnostic, they shouldn't put them on ANY platforms, because the existence of platforms or otherwise is unknowable.

Oooh, I'm getting old, things like this never used to bother me..
    Indeed. The philosophy-of-religion-accurate way to say it would have been "platform-syncretic"
  • TheMadTypistTheMadTypist Registered Users Posts: 596
    Epic is essentially running on the same business plan as Facebook- the user is not the customer, the user is a product. Why do you think they offer so much for free, even when those free things are exclusive? Because it isn’t your money that drives this transaction. They have no real fiscal dependence on you, no incentive to improve your experience or protect your information, because that’s not part of what makes you valuable to them. You sign up for epic and they put you on the market, used to sell themselves to publishers and marketing companies. Other digital platforms are still built around the user as the customer, for all their failings otherwise, the user still has the power in that relationship.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,477
    psychoak said:

You guys are funny.

What, you think they're going to make it an Epic exclusive and force you to rebuy all the DLC?

There's this thing called suicide, where you do something like slit your wrists, eat a bottle of asperin, shoot yourself in the head(avoid this one, seriously, soooo many people screw the pooch with this one), hang yourself, etc.

Such a move would be a spectacular way to do it. Really spectacular.

If they made it an Epic exclusive, so what? They'd do something to link accounts and port all your DLC. You guys have brand loyalty to Steam or something? The platform hasn't dicked you in the ass enough with allowing third party activation schemes that don't work right, buggy loaders that delay your activities, and connectivity requirements that prevented you from playing your own damn purchases whenever there's some kind of connection problem with some tool company's server?

Linking accounts is actually just as bad... All these DRM places datamine the ever-loving crap out of you. CA already datamines us due to the fact that we are on these forums - and even more so given that most of us have linked our steam accounts to them. Realize that this would also be giving all that data to Epic -- which is giving it to TenCent -- which is giving it to the Chinese government -- literally.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,414
    Some of you seriously over value yourselves. Your data isn't worth giving you a $50 game. They're attempting to build enough of a customer base to compete with Steam, these are just adoption incentives.

You are their customer, the developers they sign are their product.

Facebook runs off advertising. They sell no other service, their customers are the advertisers. Their users are the product.
    We're not just customers, we're also assets in this era. Sorry that you don't understand how pervasive and deep it is. Suggest you go pursue a business administration degree if you want to learn more.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,759
    I like Epic Games. I've gotten some banger games for free.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • MonochromaticSpider#5650MonochromaticSpider#5650 Registered Users Posts: 2,178
    psychoak said:

Some of you seriously over value yourselves. Your data isn't worth giving you a $50 game. They're attempting to build enough of a customer base to compete with Steam, these are just adoption incentives.

Facebook runs off advertising. They sell no other service, their customers are the advertisers. Their users are the product.

I don't think that's the right way to frame the picture. Epic isn't focused on making consumers come to them and buy their products. If they were, they'd build a proper store first, establish good consumer protection principles, and then beat Steam on lower prices.

The way I see it, Epic is focused on buying more constant users of the EGS as a platform, which they can then sell better to various publishers. The publishers are their customers. We, the consumers, are essentially just the product they're trying to sell.

Long term, the goal is almost certainly to get a Steam-like market position where they get revenue for just providing the platform, get a crapton of user data at low cost, and have a great marketing platform for whatever they want to promote. Customers will come because they are unprincipled addicts who need their games, no matter on what terms, and there's no other place to get the Epic exclusives.

At no point will it really matter to Epic whether they're offering better consumer terms than Steam, because only GOGster hippies care about that anyway, and access to millions of users at half the price of what Steam charges is too good a deal. Assuming Epic's hypothesis about unprincipled addict gamers proves to be correct, of course.

Because free stuff is always actually free and good and people giving things away are always righteous and good...

Caesar has some bread for you Gorilla.
  • BillyRuffian#6250BillyRuffian#6250 Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 40,916
    edited June 2020
    Some off-topic comments removed. Please discuss the topic without political or personal commentary.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,414
    People are really getting hung up on "exclusives" as if this is some sort of predatory entrant into a puppies and rainbows market. We're playing a Steam exclusive game, there are gobs of them. Steamworks is no different, an incentive to make a product exclusive to Steam.

You can't build a store, virtual or otherwise, without a product to sell.

Competing with Steam means they have to convince people to ditch it. They can provide a better experience, or they can provide a cheaper experience. There really isn't any other alternative.

They're certainly not providing a better experience, as everyone seems to agree that the store is a crappy store. So they're cutting expenses on development, and offering monetary incentives in the form of higher cuts to developers, and free games to users.

In either case, they are spending massive amounts of money, developing a matured platform with a viable customer base, in order to make money later. Once they have enough customers, they'll be able to actually turn a profit instead of just giving away money all the time.
    Itharus said:

We're not just customers, we're also assets in this era. Sorry that you don't understand how pervasive and deep it is. Suggest you go pursue a business administration degree if you want to learn more.

You don't need a business degree to do basic math. Your data is worth a tiny fraction of a cent. Selling it a whole bunch of times to a whole bunch of people, gets them up to cents.

It takes a long, long, long time, or a hell of a lot more information than Epic will ever accrue, to be worth a buck. $50 game give aways aren't worth getting you as a data sale. They want you as a customer. No customer, no business.

They would probably lose money marketing the stuff, odds are it would cost more to deal with, than they could make selling it. It's not like you give them your life history when you sign up.Their only serious value proposition is in targeted advertising and focused marketing operations in their client. Which are features you probably appreciate in Steam. Recommended games anyone? Granted, some of them are pretty terrible, but they're certainly better than just looking at a random list.
    Itharus said:

Because free stuff is always actually free and good and people giving things away are always righteous and good...

I assume they're doing some shonky stuff I could google, but what you don't know can't bother you.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • ROMOBOY#7812ROMOBOY#7812 Registered Users Posts: 4,823

Itharus said:

I assume they're doing some shonky stuff I could google, but what you don't know can't bother you.
    I didn’t know I had a cut on my hand earlier... it definitely bothered me when I used some hand sanitizer.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

ROMOBOY said:

Itharus said:

I didn’t know I had a cut on my hand earlier... it definitely bothered me when I used some hand sanitizer.
    Stay clean, stay safe.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,726
    psychoak said:

Amonkhet said:

psychoak said:

You guys are funny.

What, you think they're going to make it an Epic exclusive and force you to rebuy all the DLC?

There's this thing called suicide, where you do something like slit your wrists, eat a bottle of asperin, shoot yourself in the head(avoid this one, seriously, soooo many people screw the pooch with this one), hang yourself, etc.

Such a move would be a spectacular way to do it. Really spectacular.

If they made it an Epic exclusive, so what? They'd do something to link accounts and port all your DLC. You guys have brand loyalty to Steam or something? The platform hasn't dicked you in the ass enough with allowing third party activation schemes that don't work right, buggy loaders that delay your activities, and connectivity requirements that prevented you from playing your own damn purchases whenever there's some kind of connection problem with some tool company's server?

No, EGS just steals yea data and sends it to Tencent, then to CCP.
    No evidence of this. Steam collects tons of data on you too. Epic is on the record stating Tencent is only a shareholder and has no access to data. I'm sure some of you own stock in companies without having access to customer data. If you're freaking out over the China connection, you're seriously overreacting in how much interest the Chinese government has in your friends list.

I say this as someone who is actually paranoid. As in I sleep with a gun and don't like people walking behind me.
    Arsenic said:

psychoak said:

Who are you, Rasputin?

Slitting your wrists would probably be enough, plus it's hard to hold an Aspirin bottle with severed tendons.
    Rasputin? **** that commie. Capitalism all the way. :)
    There is evidence, when they finally pushed Tencent in a corner.they conceded can't block the Chinese government from perusing data on their servers. Unlike in the US companies there are entirely beholden to the state if not outright funded or extension.

In other words if any data goes through a server there, yeah, they have to share if China asks.
  • Djau#5149Djau#5149 Registered Users Posts: 12,172
    psychoak said:

You think such a company like Epic is going to stop after they get an install base? They don't care about repeatedly breaking GDPR among other spyware.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,787
    This is a Warhammer sub-forum to be used for discussion about the Warhammer series. This thread is basically a discussion about Creative Assembly business decisions, thus it is in the wrong discussion area.

Moved to Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• RAMPZYRAMPZY Junior Member BelgiumRegistered Users Posts: 219
    edited June 2020

Barrel02 said:

Did they seriously confirm that WH3 will be Epic Store exclusive for 1 year?

ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

No. It’s just something people are worrying about.
    No one reasonable thinks that. At least I hope they don't.
    Anyone that is reasonable should be getting worried that Troy is only an experiment to see how the fanbase reacts and if they could pull it off with a main title like TW:W3.

They just showed us all they are sellouts, the question is not when, the question is which games.
  • LordCommander#3741LordCommander#3741 Registered Users Posts: 3,229
    edited June 2020
    RAMPZY said:

Barrel02 said:

ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

Anyone that is reasonable should be getting worried that Troy is only an experiment to see how the fanbase reacts and if they could pull it off with a main title like TW:W3.

They just showed us all they are sellouts, the question is not when, the question is which games.
    No particularly. Why would they for a sure seller like Warhammer 3? The Saga games simply don't sell as well as the warhammer ones.

People used the term sellout when CA was sold to Sega. Also when they went to steam. Enough already.
    It's a beta.
  • RAMPZYRAMPZY Junior Member BelgiumRegistered Users Posts: 219

RAMPZY said:

Barrel02 said:

ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

No particularly. Why would they for a sure seller like Warhammer 3? The Saga games simply don't sell as well as the warhammer ones.

People used the term sellout when CA was sold to Sega. Also when they went to steam. Enough already.
    Why wouldn't they do it again when they get offered another huge amount of money? They already proved they are willing to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MeGa_N00B#2436MeGa_N00B#2436 Registered Users Posts: 1,143
    edited June 2020
    RAMPZY said:

Barrel02 said:

ROMOBOY said:

Barrel02 said:

It certainly does look like an experiment.

The mental gymnastics on the blog post was laughable.