Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

More unique characters and future expansions

Subr1185Subr1185 Registered Users Posts: 34
A question for CA: are you guys planning any more unique characters for upcoming patches? Some campaigns have a serious lack of unique characters. For example, Dong Zhuo is a pretty big player on the scene of Three Kingdoms, and yet some of the most noteworth characters in his factions are just generic characters. It's good that Li Jue became a unique general, but Guo Si, Dong Peishan, Dong Min and maybe Li Ru along with Niu Fu also should be unique, and he should be married to Dong Li, who should be older, like she actually was. Cao Cao gets tons of unique characters, and Dong Zhuo doesn't get nearly as many. Not fair :( Same for Yuan Shu - his wife and daughter deserve a unique character status. Any chance we could get them in a future expansion? Also, what time period would the new expansion be? I think we need a proper Three Kingdoms time period, with smaller factions destroyed, and Cao Cao's Liu Bei's and Sun Qian's factions battling it out. Cao Cao could be on the verge of death, and Cao Pi should get a unique character status and he should succeed him and take it from there.

Comments

• EmeraldThanatosEmeraldThanatos Registered Users Posts: 430
    The next dlc will be Nanman. My guess is that Nanman will add most of the Shu-Han characters, similar to how World Betrayed added most of the Wu characters. Guandu will probably then add most of the missing Wei characters.
    Ranking of all Total War games I've played:
    1. Three kingdoms
    2. Shogun 2
    3. Medieval 2
    4. Thrones of Britannia
    5. Warhammer 2
    6. Attila
    7. Rome 2

• kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 466
    Every warlord in the game, major or minor deserves a unique portrait and design at the least.
  • BAB1918BAB1918 Registered Users Posts: 237
    Make Them Unique adds Dong Min, Dong Peishan, and Li Ru with unique art and models.

It also adds Lady Feng, Yuan Anyang, Zhang Xun, and Yan Xiang for Yuan Shu.

That’s your best bet to seeing realistic art for the characters you’re after. CA isn’t likely go back and add a lot of art to characters in factions that aren’t relevant moving past the AWB time period.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,231
    That’s your best bet to seeing realistic art for the characters you’re after. CA isn’t likely go back and add a lot of art to characters in factions that aren’t relevant moving past the AWB time period.

Well the Yuan brothers will probably be the focus of the next Chapter Pack if CA goes page by page.
    TW : Three Kingdoms. Units not running in battles ? You probably came down to a bad case of floor is caltrops. Use this miraculous cure to make your soldiers hoppity happy again : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2132907090 (NEW : Alternatively use the 1.6.1 BETA patch)
    edited June 8
    Rewan said:

Well the Yuan brothers will probably be the focus of the next Chapter Pack if CA goes page by page.
    Yuan Shao, yes, but neither I or the OP mentioned his name or faction.

Yuan Shu - I doubt he’s the “focus” of the next DLC. Even if he was, you think he’s going to get a lot of unique characters and art? Aside from Yang Hong, he didn’t have a single character w/ a unique title in his faction until they added Ji Ling.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,231
    edited June 8

Well he named Yuan Shu, I just opened up the scope a bit more by saying the two brothers since I believe the next Chapter Pack to illustrate the "Fall of the Yuans" (who pretty much fell like dominos after being the perceived as the bigger players)

So a start date with Yuan Shu facing imminent destruction and Yuan Shao/Cao Cao starting their conflict for the nothern plains.
    TW : Three Kingdoms. Units not running in battles ? You probably came down to a bad case of floor is caltrops. Use this miraculous cure to make your soldiers hoppity happy again : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2132907090 (NEW : Alternatively use the 1.6.1 BETA patch)
    Rewan said:

Well he named Yuan Shu, I just opened up the scope a bit more by saying the two brothers since I believe the next Chapter Pack to illustrate the "Fall of the Yuans" (who pretty much fell like dominos after being the perceived as the bigger players)

So a start date with Yuan Shu facing imminent destruction and Yuan Shao/Cao Cao starting their conflict for the nothern plains.
    I imagine Yuan Shao will get a lot of attention in that "Guandu" DLC. I'm a bit skeptical about them adding a slew of characters to Yuan Shu, who will never be seen again after that DLC. If they do Yang Hong, that would be plenty for me. MTU has the rest covered.
  • kaihookaihoo Registered Users Posts: 466
    edited June 9
    Whatever MTU or other mods are doing should not influence what CA does (as far as character portraits are concerned although some MTU designs are indeed really well done). The game is still facing a massive dearth of characters and their unique portraits which should be addressed by CA themselves instead of relying on character mods. The current roster of unique portraits while an improvement from before still leaves a lot to be desired. CA should be taking the lead in fleshing out the game's content consistently. The lack of character diversity and faction flavour is still a massive issue for this game.

TW3K is first of all a character driven game and CA has shown themselves to always be on the backfoot when it comes to fulfilling the promise of the subject matter's rich content and meeting the expectations of the fans. Since the last DLC, while quantity of unique character portraits/designs increased slightly, the quality has suffered. The characters and their art are the heart and soul of this beautiful game. I only hope they remain committed to delivering the best and maintaining the highest of standards for TW3K.

Post edited by kaihoo on
    CA has already done art for half a dozen characters that MTU did previously. Mods clearly aren’t affecting which characters CA is doing art for.

That said - I’m not going to complain that MTU is putting out unique art for many characters that CA would have never done (and with a professional level of quality).
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,830
    mcbest said:

CA has already done art for half a dozen characters that MTU did previously. Mods clearly aren’t affecting which characters CA is doing art for.

That said - I’m not going to complain that MTU is putting out unique art for many characters that CA would have never done (and with a professional level of quality).

Sometimes I really think that CA would be better off buying some of MTU's work and put them into the base game. I'm not sure if CA has done anything similar in the past but I know that Paradox does this sometimes with good mods.
  • punic_soldierpunic_soldier Registered Users Posts: 119
    edited June 11
    the next logical DLC would be around 200 BC, if CA were to jump later in time, there would be a gap in history to fill.
    i hope that CA unites the DLC in a single story and that the player who has all the acquired DLC, can play from 182 and has all the unique characters that appear in historical order, events and mechanics.
    we are waiting to see a DLC with the historical children of important generals that they too were and not generalist children and that they are born and appear in history on their historical date, be it by event or other mechanics.
    with the time that has passed since the last DLC, the next one should be quite good, which we hope announcing soon and they could also give away with these update patches some unique generals.
    there are plenty of unique generals left to implement in the game, and CA has not done something for that yet.
    some time ago i made a list with important generals that were missing, here are some.
    wen chou.cao ren,yan liang,ling tong,fan chou,cao hong,zhang he,wu lang,pang de,zhang ren,wei yan,yan yan,lei tong.
    there are still many, characters, events and history to implement in the game.

mcbest said:

Sometimes I really think that CA would be better off buying some of MTU's work and put them into the base game. I'm not sure if CA has done anything similar in the past but I know that Paradox does this sometimes with good mods.
    That would make a lot of sense as well as getting the 3D model work from MTU Character Remodel.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,576
    edited June 12
    I want to see Major Warlords have unique models.

Check it out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_Three_Kingdoms

Zhang Lu,
    Zhang Xiu,
    etc...

Jiang Wei,
    Guo Huai,
    Lu Xun
    etc,,,
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 804
    More unique characters and playable factions should be CA's top priority, not chapter packs per se.

Because this game's design is centred around characters, there's even a dedicated UI screen for Characters or Character finder (which at this stage is quite redundant imo), Spy system and the character relations tab.

If CA wants to charge for unique characters. So, be it. Many 3K owners will buy it. Chapter packs on the other hand, is quite meh.

To make chapter packs unique, they probably should include new UI, mechanics, additional changes to objectives, events and so on. The only notable changes to AWB chapter pack were, 2 new playable factions which are not completely new either because they shared the same units. The only difference is the mechanic. In addition, to the changes in the starting post for existing factions. Yea, not sure I will even buy Nanman pack if they put them under bandit category lol, will consider Nanman if it is a sub-culture like YT.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 245
    edited June 14
    The nanman campaign will probably add Meng huo , zhu rong , Cao Rui , Liu Shan , Jiang wei (wei Officer for 3 years then an event where he joins Shu probably ) at the minimum , Gongsun Du (he’s liturally the only other faction on the map excluding the 3 kingdoms and nanman) , and Gongsun Yuan May also make it in as gongsun yuan rebels in 237 (but that may be too late) , Li Hui and Ma Zhong were the Shu officers who mainly participated in it with zhuge liang in history while wei Yan and ma dai we’re bigger parts in the romance side of things . Seems about a right number we could see all 9 (11 if including the gongsun s too) Make it in as uniques. We saw 17 in world betray so for all we know there’s room for more
    Post edited by MasterSlayeX on